Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape : Second Largest MMO

outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

Why do you believe Runescape is the second largest MMO today? With over 6 million people.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

Comments

• ..:Jax:....:Jax:.. Member Posts: 51

Emm since when is RS the second largest MMO out there ? If you can give me a good link to back up your statement then I'll believe you. I agree it has many members but I really doubt that it is the second largest MMO. And the only reason it has gotten so big is that it's java based and doesn't have a monthly fee.

• GormandYGormandY Member Posts: 411

Java based and easily accessable.

Thats the reason I first started playing Runescape because "Downloading free games might get me viruses" lol ...

But once you really got into it, I started loving it and became a member.

I love the PvP system, its not FULL loot but its almost 85% similar. Killing skulled people, yeah makes sense and all..

I also liked the skill system.

The reason I quit was WoW. I got into it, but after 2 years of WoW I played RS for another 6 months, and then I resubbed to WoW and played RS on and off. But now RS is really old,

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I don't think runescape with the standard 'mage fighter archer' classes would be as popular as it is today, So i voted for open skill system.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• DarknesFallsDarknesFalls Member Posts: 37

However official stats from the makers of RuneScape puts the number of accounts over 6.5 Million, that doesn't take account for how active they are, how many of the accounts are banned or how many plays have more than one account, therefor the real statistic for the number of active players is probably around a million or so worldwide.

• ConfettiConfetti Member Posts: 167

I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the top games today. It's incredibly easy to play and -does- have a lot of depth for a java game. RuneScape was like, the thing to do in middle school. Now I'm in college and finding people use the college computer labs to play RuneScape inbetween classes.

I was there back in around 2001 when it was a 2d game , it's grown alot since then, The guys who run it started it as a college project, but they've become a major player in the online world.

- James Henly

• Rayth3onRayth3on Member UncommonPosts: 146

This games not the second largest game there are many unheard of games wiith many more members, sme mayb only out for some parts of the world, besides if you are on the main wesite there are about 200k members at a time rest are just accounts that are never used or sub-accounts. An example of a game that has Millions more players than RS has is SilkRoad with 12m+ members. And I am sure games like EQ and GW will surpass RS if not alredy done so.

• LoGic_pLoGic_p Member Posts: 67

i'd say 1 million paying customers rest are pures or free playing peps

sdfsdfsfdsdfsfd

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

they did say they have 1 mill subscribers and 9 million active free accounts in a press release around 4 months ago

ill leave it up to everyone else to interpret this data, but i would say it has around 4-6 million players

• mmorpgtest3rmmorpgtest3r Member UncommonPosts: 35

ok i admit i used to play runescape : but i can say no, it is not 6million people and no to 2nd best mmorpg why?

reason number 1

this website (runescape main website) http://www.runescape.com/  

Just right under the title shows how many people are playing, ok it can change due to people working, education or even weekends but you can also count how many max people can play. which is 2000 people per server. so 2000 X (the amount of server there is) will be the answer, but sorry im that sad to count how many server there is ^^

There is usually over 200,000 people logged in at any one time.

- James Henly

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Just clearing something up.

There are about 1 million subscribers.

The total number of active players is about 4-5 million.

RuneScape is popular because it's a browser game.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• rpg-playarpg-playa Member Posts: 5

it has cuz of the cheatin, hackin, n scammin

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Originally posted by b0rderline99

they did say they have 1 mill subscribers and 9 million active free accounts in a press release around 4 months ago
    ill leave it up to everyone else to interpret this data, but i would say it has around 4-6 million players

On wikipedia it says there is 10 million active free accounts, over 1mil members and more than 5,000,000 unique people access there account in a month. So yes, your about right.

?

Originally posted by mmorpgtest3r

ok i admit i used to play runescape : but i can say no, it is not 6million people and no to 2nd best mmorpg why?
    reason number 1
    Just right under the title shows how many people are playing, ok it can change due to people working, education or even weekends but you can also count how many max people can play. which is 2000 people per server. so 2000 X (the amount of server there is) will be the answer, but sorry im that sad to count how many server there is ^^

You don't have to play every day to be active.

?

• ThunderQThunderQ Member Posts: 16

I would say runescape isn't second because WoW has 9 million i bet LOTRO will have maybe 7 million. Well you get the point I think runescape might be any where from 3-7 on most people playing.

(I don't like runescape because low graphics and i kept on getting hacked of my rune stuff)

Originally posted by ThunderQ

I would say runescape isn't second because WoW has 9 million i bet LOTRO will have maybe 7 million. Well you get the point I think runescape might be any where from 3-7 on most people playing.

(I don't like runescape because low graphics and i kept on getting hacked of my rune stuff)

Hell no does LOTRO have near 7 million players. It just recently got to about 850,000 players.

?

• XLostsouLXXLostsouLX Member CommonPosts: 7

has more people then any other 2d game that i know of

• Runefruit10Runefruit10 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by mmorpgtest3r

reason number 1

Dude...thats just how many people are playing at one time. There are 1 million members and probly only about 4 million free players. it says 6 million but think how many of those are autoers.

Among The Shadows
    http://atsdf.com/

• timmytgtimmytg Member Posts: 5

All i ever hear is Runescape sucks because of cheaters, hackers and scammers. 

Well dont fall victom to their game, and you wouldnt be talking about them. I DONT

1. report all autoers!!

2. you cant be hacked unless you invoke it     (period)

3. you cant be scammed unless you are just plain dumb and dont read updates, follow all rules, pay attention when in trade, or if you just dont care.

Comon people think of a real reason why Runescape sucks, cause this is a true skillers game...not meant for great graphics because if you knew anything about technology a Java based game has limitations you know.

its not about scammers hackers and such. If you stay away from them, and steer away from breaking rules you would be fine.

oh yea, and if you think its boring.....your not a skiller and this is the wrong game for you.

opinions from me Timmytg lvl 92