Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reference: The UO U.Hall Stratics Trolls - When Minority Opinions Appear The Loudest

eammoeammo Member Posts: 20

To the Producers of Ultima Online: Please stop programming the Ultima Online game based upon any apparently popular public opinions. The basic core of any game design is challenge, thus EA's own slogan, "Challenge Everything."

Challenging and functional game designs and systems can only be programmed by creative and experienced game developers, not seemingly popular public opinions, and definitely not the minority opinions of the few that have enough time to troll a game forum with thousands of posts. The Public opinion is generally always that everyone wants everything given to themselves - this is in direct conflict with game design, that should by default be challenging for people. Yet, based on the current state of Ultima Online, it seems to have been developed over the years based off the apparent popular public opinion, leaving the game in a sorry state, with almost no challenge left. With very little challenge, competition, and unpredictability left in UO, it's become more of an activity than a game.

This is an extremely unfortunate situation for Ultima Online as a game.

After some time reading the Stratics U.Hall forum and other gaming forums on the Internet, it is clear to see that there is a small handful of Stratics Trolls there expressing a horribly small minority opinion regarding Ultima Online. Nearly every other gaming site on the Internet expresses opinions about Ultima Online that are exactly the opposite of these few Stratics Trolls.

These Trolls are lurking there in the shadows, every day, waiting to pounce on any thread that does not conform to their malformed philosophies. It is likely they spend more time in the forums than even playing the game itself. This is evident from many of their post counts, some approaching 10,000! Their main goal seems to be the derailment, lock, or removal of any thread that does agree with the ideals which they are inappropriately trying to apply to a video game. Rather than expressing their opinions in their own threads, nearly all of their posts are in reply, and in a trolling fashion. This undue influence of a dedicated few has undoubtedly shaped UO into the lifeless mass that it is today.

A good multi-player game focuses on, both the good and bad interactions, of the players and community. A good game involves taking risks and is competitive, challenging and exciting. Any good roleplay, story, or game, must have a worthy villain. Yet, what do these few Stratics Trolls preach?

The Stratics Trolls preach that nobody should have to compete for anything if they don't want to; an absurd notion for any game design. They preach that players should not have to interact if they don't want to - they should be allowed to play the multi-player game all by themselves if they want. They preach that everyone should have everything easily available to them regardless of effort or imbalance. They preach that a loss in a video game is just as bad as a 'murder' or 'robbery' in real life. In fact, the message they are often pushing is that nobody should ever have to lose.

Don't take my word for it though. Find the top gaming sties on the Internet, go there, read up on their forums about Ultima Oline and see what everyone else is saying about Ultima Oline. If your research is extensive, you will find that it is the exact opposite of the Stratics Trolls. When you want to know why people are not playing a game, don't turn to the few that still are, seek out all those experienced gamers that have left.

Now, I would not call them trolls if their opinions represented those of the general gaming community, but they do not. Nor would I, if they expressed their own opinions in their own threads more often than they troll the opinions of others with negative replies. The reason they are trolls is because they preach their minority opinion, day in and day out, as if it were truth with thousands of posts, which are almost exclusively made negatively within the threads of others.

Based upon the changes that have occurred to Ultima Online, the game has suffered as a result of these dominating troll voices at Stratics. It's not because they are right, but only because they have the most time to waste.

And, now I present the Stratics Trolls. Feel free to ignore any posts made by this bunch, as they are almost always trolling replies to someone else's thread and do not represent general gaming communities' opinions of Ultima Online -- for that you actually have to visit other gaming sites or sift through the numerous hollow posts at Stratics of these often thousand post-count Trolls.

The Stratics Trolls:

Connor_Graham - 6993 posts

Dermott of LS ; NMA - 8988 posts

Basara - 3585 posts

AesSedai - 5783 posts

phantus - 4486 posts

Fayled Dhreams - 3959 posts

Surgeries - 4148 posts

Microelf - 9257 posts

Kiminality - 331 posts (newbie troll)

As you can see, typically post counts alone reveal these abnormal humans and their abnormal behaviors.

Don't develop a game to suit the needs of these abnormal few! And, never develop a game based upon the apparent public opinion, which will not only result in poor game designs, but is often distorted as a result of these abnormal few. The game design should come from the minds and talents of the experienced few.

Long live Lord British!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Think of these forum trolls as lobbyists for special interests and you'll understand their role a bit better.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eammoeammo Member Posts: 20

Compare the responses to these similar threads, one on Stratics (locked of course), and one here at mmorpg.com, and you will clearly see the difference of opinion and how the Stratics Trolls jump right in to attack the thread until it is locked. The copy at mmorpg? 100% positive responses!

To The UO Producer: What UO Was Meant To Be @ mmorpg.com - 100% positive responses

To The UO Producer: What UO Was Meant To Be @ Stratics - trolled and locked

Completely opposite results!

• sparkyxsparkyx Member Posts: 38

Ultima Online was my first MMO.I left after publish 16,that was the beginning of the end(actually the introduction of Trammel was,but pub.16 made it worse).

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

eammo, I dont know how you do it, but thats 2 great posts i've read the past week. 

GOOD POST!!!

• KiminalityKiminality Member Posts: 4

Hello, Eammo!
    As I have said to you previously, your manner of discussion is terrible.
    Perhaps, there would have been less of an apparent disagreement with your points, if you'd allowed other points of view to remain unchallenged. Yet, you continued with the unwavering belief that you were right, and everyone who disagreed with you was wrong (and likely added to the "clueless players list", which later became the "Stratics troll list").
    The idea of a discussion forum, is to discuss things. Not, as you seem to believe, to either agree with the OP, or shut up.

To The UO Producer: What UO Was Meant To Be @ mmorpg.com - 100% positive responses
    To The UO Producer: What UO Was Meant To Be @ Stratics - trolled and locked
    Completely opposite results!
    In addition to you driving your own thread towards the lock, on Stratics, it was destined to be locked, anyway.
    Why? Because you either didn't read, or ignored, the forum rules for Uhall.
    On the comparison between the threads on Stratics and here, you got 100% agreement on here, which doesn't count for much, really, since 100% of 11 people is a grand total of 11 people.

Why are you making this personal, Eammo?

*Looks at Kim's post count*

Damn it Eammo!!  Your bringing the Stratics folks here now!!    *holds on tight*

• eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210

Agreed.  When UO comes back to its senses I would happily play again, but that can't happen when these idiots that defend a bad game ad nauseam.

--------------------------------
    Darkfall: December or vaporware!

Originally posted by Focker

*Looks at Kim's post count*

Damn it Eammo!!  Your bringing the Stratics folks here now!!    *holds on tight*
    You needed to look at my post count to work that out?

I'd have thought the name would have been a bigger clue (though, there is an outside chance that I'm not really Kiminality).

I wouldn't worry about me sticking around.

While Stratics doesn't even come remotely close to representing the bulk of the player-base of UO, it looks like it's considerably closer than this place is.

No, I'm not trying to troll.

The posters here seem to represent a narrow field of play-styles, and opinions. Where the overall player-base is much more diverse (as evidenced by the 100% support for Eammo's views on here, and the varied diis/agreement on Stratics).

That the game is still running, and enjoyed by many, to this day would seem to imply that it's not a lifeless husk of a game.

Sorry Kim, but the people around stratics stick around only to troll.    When I played UO, I was never on the boards because I was to busy having fun. I had no reason to stop and look at boards.  If UO is so great, then why are so many people trolling stratics?  Shouldn't they be having so much fun playing the game rather then posting(Trolling)?

Just commen sence if you ask me.

Everyone is different.

More people play UO than post on UO forums.

Just because you played the game without posting on forums, doesn't mean that everyone else does the same.

The same can be said for play-styles, and all things with the game.

Some love PvP, others hate it. Some love elves and ninjas, others hate them.

It could be argued that those that post, and currently play the game, know the game. While those that post, but don't play, only know what's left in their memories.

There are hundreds of reasons to post on forums while playing the game; probably the biggest among them is community.

Different courses for different horses.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Kiminality

While Stratics doesn't even come remotely close to representing the bulk of the player-base of UO, it looks like it's considerably closer than this place is.
    No, I'm not trying to troll.

The posters here seem to represent a narrow field of play-styles, and opinions. Where the overall player-base is much more diverse (as evidenced by the 100% support for Eammo's views on here, and the varied diis/agreement on Stratics).

That the game is still running, and enjoyed by many, to this day would seem to imply that it's not a lifeless husk of a game.

This is a pretty funny thread!   Unfortunately, all too true!

UO SUCKS!

And then a U.Hall stratics troll comes here to say that mmorpg.com represents a "narrow field of play-styles?"  That is hilarious!

Of course the players still playing UO are going to support it at U.Hall.  But, preaching about how good the game is in their own forums does not get them new players, does it?

UO is a lifeless husk, the only people still playing it are scripters and the oblivious pro-Trammel stratics trolls - everyone else has left. 

That's why you see a 100% positive response to the poor condition of UO on a real gaming forum.

And here, my case rests.

• DbknnDbknn Member Posts: 61

Im honestly very dumbfounded. i had no idea that PVE even existed in UO. grabbing a dragon and hitting your "all kill" macro to farm npc's that were completely retarded and didnt even fight back isnt even PVE. i mean we're talking about the worst implementation of monsters of any game Ever.  UO was only ever good because of its PVP. that original sandbox feel is what brought customers to the game. the fact that people were Terrible at pvp is what brought upon Trammel. there werent ever any issues with people getting randomly attacked, the entire design was built for that to happen. the issue lies solely in that people are Terrible at things that require any ounce of thought so the developers caved and gave these people what they needed to continue to pay for the game.

Originally posted by Kiminality

And here, my case rests.

Your case was dead before it started.

Why do you think UO is advertised here?

These guys will go down delusional to the end - oblivious of the harm they have caused.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I wish people would just think for a moment about UO and where it has gone.  Especially those that seem to chill at UO strats.  The game is dead. . .it's been dead since AOS (2003) and it has been dieing since REN (2000).  I've seen some of the posts over at UO strats, and to be honest it's sickening.  Anyone that supports the ninjas and the elves are pretty much noobs to UO and have no idea about the history of the game.  I would say go to a free server, but have you been to one of those?  Hybrid is just a bunch of adolescents running around with their heads cut off.  So basically UO is dead and has been for quite some time.  When the company that owns it starts to care about the game and when the so called "fans" of UO start thinking rationally about what they are asking for, then the game will be on it's way to how it was ment to be played.  Unfortunetly they are all about 7 years too late now.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I read a post very similar to this one....9 Years ago.          

Originally posted by wrekognize

I read a post very similar to this one....9 Years ago.          
    Oh yeah?  And now you can see what 9 years of their trolling has done to UO.

It's a piece of garbage now.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Your opinion.  If it's that crapy, why do you troll around on this board so often?

Originally posted by wrekognize

Your opinion.  If it's that crapy, why do you troll around on this board so often?

I' seen lots of trolls these days.  *cough*

• zenthias_rpgzenthias_rpg Member Posts: 30

Some of us adults have to work for a living. And a lot of us have access to the internet at work. 

We love UO so much that we have to atleast read about it when we don't have the option to play it.

Man I love spam.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

In my opinion this is the downfall of every MMORPG. Forums for game suggestions should not exist, I am sorry. There are never any changes the players suggest that are truly for the good of the game, yet a selfish need of wanting something easier or faster. This is just selfishness or envy, and it hurts the game.

MMORPG designers should design their vision and stick with it no matter how much crying is going on the forums. If you are doing well with subscriptions then all is fine. I personally think there should be no forums other than technical/bug forums available.

Attention Devs: If you have a successful game like WoW or EQ did/does, it is because you have a successful working game model/vison. EQ ruined that MMORPG and WoW is currently ruining theirs. That is all.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by qombi

In my opinion this is the downfall of every MMORPG. Forums for game suggestions should not exist, I am sorry. There are never any changes the players suggest that are truly for the good of the game, yet a selfish need of wanting something easier or faster. This is just selfishness or envy, and it hurts the game.

MMORPG designers should design their vision and stick with it no matter how much crying is going on the forums. If you are doing well with subscriptions then all is fine. I personally think there should be no forums other than technical/bug forums available.

Attention Devs: If you have a successful game like WoW or EQ did/does, it is because you have a successful working game model/vison. EQ ruined that MMORPG and WoW is currently ruining theirs. That is all.

Exactly, UO stratics forums have been drug down pretty much ever since they went up. People would be carebearing all up and down the UO Hall and Speil and Rants about their suggestions being the best for all players.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!