Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quiet Community?

I've been toying around with the trial (and loving it), however I've come into one major roadblock for me: no one and I mean no one talks in-game, on any chat channel, or anything. I was just curious if this was because of a trial limitation or am I not "in" the chat channels, or is this just a quiet community? I play on the Landroval server.

Thanks.

Comments

• atomtanatomtan Member Posts: 106

I was just noticing that last night.  I'm also on Landroval.

In my travels, I found myself in every racial city and places in between, with an empty chatbox although I was in every chatroom I could be in.  Kinda odd, since everyone and their dog seemed to be in-game last night.

Currently Playing: Nothing...I'm developing.
    Looking Forward To:

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Could have been broken, that happened once back when I was playing, all the chat windows stopped working.... took them till the next day to fix it....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConfettiConfetti Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Could have been broken, that happened once back when I was playing, all the chat windows stopped working.... took them till the next day to fix it....

However, have you experienced people talking in main channels once you've jumped out of the starting area? I'm currently in Ered Luin and haven't come across a single person speaking yet. An my chat window seems to be fully functioning. I can chat and it'll pop up, and I'm recieveing the things NPCs are saying.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Confetti

However, have you experienced people talking in main channels once you've jumped out of the starting area? I'm currently in Ered Luin and haven't come across a single person speaking yet. An my chat window seems to be fully functioning. I can chat and it'll pop up, and I'm recieveing the things NPCs are saying.

What happens when you chat in /local? Does anyone answer? Or if you comment on the quiet chat in /general?

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Confetti

I've been toying around with the trial (and loving it), however I've come into one major roadblock for me: no one and I mean no one talks in-game, on any chat channel, or anything. I was just curious if this was because of a trial limitation or am I not "in" the chat channels, or is this just a quiet community? I play on the Landroval server.

Thanks.

Even with a trial account you should be able to see the other chat on the chat-channels.  Although with Landroval being an unoffical RP server perhaps they have less chat on their channels. 

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I play on Landroval and alot of people stick in "their" groups.     Because this is a RP server don't expect alot of OOC chat as thats not what RP players do.   You should have no problem in the /advice chanel as everyone is very helpful of new players.   Alot of people will be tucked away decorating their new houses as well so even though alot of players are logged in, they won't be available to interact with.   Definitely check out the Harvest festival at the Party Tree in the Shire and the Horsefields north of Bree.

• I play on Landroval and just started recently.  I see alot of chat.  However I suspect the elf starting area is much quiter than the Man starting area or even the shire.

Try talking the horse to west bree (only 1 silver at the right stable) and then see.  Also if you chose scholar bree-lands has about triple the scholar nodes of the elf area and shire.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

I know that Turbine has experienced chat-server problems the past couple days, also I think Trial Accounts have a limitation with that. I play on Brandywine and the chat channels are *all* flooded with conversation

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

They still haven't fixed this problem?!

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

I played LOTRO since beta up until shortly after the release of Book 10 and I watched all public chat channels dissipate over time for the following reasons:

1) Most regular LOTRO players stick with guild chat, fellowship chat, and tells

2) Once upon a time when the game was fresh, new and exciting /ooc was flooded with all kinds of questions then there was a help channel implimented.../ooc turned into mostly nonsense, spamming, and rediculing those using /ooc

3) Many peoples lives are so hectic anymore they simply concentrate on gameplay and have little time and energy for idle chit chat

Many times I complained at the apparent lack of community in LOTRO only to have it go unnoticed...I ponder what would really bring back more of a community feel only to understand the fact much has changed since the good ol days of MUDs and first gen MMORPGs