Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the skill and trading system be?

There's two things I wonder about with AoC, how will the skill system be? Will we be training skills through using respective items, i.e. you use a sword and gain skill for using a sword?

Although some people loved the skill system in AO (anarchy Online) I hope we don't see a repetition, since to me that didn't make sense (get experience point to use in other skills than how you achieved them in the first place).

And the trading system, will there be something similar to an auctionhouse (from WoW) or broker (from EQ2) where you don't have to be guilded (org'ed) and have a city with trade buildings in order to set up permanent sales?

I really don't like to spam the trade chat channels with WTB/WTS, although again some people enjoy that, that's not really my cup of tea. I'd like to be able to go out and solo/level/explore without being occupied by trade channels, or being forced to join guilds with city's.

Comments

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Skill system is a little like the typical skill system of almost all MMO's,  except there will be PvP Level's also.

Trade system will have a type of Auction House system.

Unfortunely I think there will be a trade channel, but your likely to be able to turn it off.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

Skill system is a little like the typical skill system of almost all MMO's,  except there will be PvP Level's also.
    Well, yes and no. All but a very few MMOs technically fall into the category of level/skill hybrids, that is to say that as a character levels up, the player has choices to make in terms of its skills. Most MMOs however are at the far end of the spectrum, with few meaningful choices to be made, they are nearly a pure leveling system. WOW for instance won't even allow its players to choose what attributes they increase (one of my personal pet peeves). EVE and preNGE SWG are at the other end, being pure or nearly pure skill systems. Funcom's last MMO, Anarchy Online, I'd rate as being around a 2:1 skill vs level ratio. AoC from what I've seen, experienced and heard, falls somewhere in between a 1:1 and 2:1 level vs skill.

To put it another way, on a scale of 1 to 10, with EVE as a 1 and WOW as a 10, AoC would be a 5-7.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Well, yes and no. All but a very few MMOs technically fall into the category of level/skill hybrids, that is to say that as a character levels up, the player has choices to make in terms of its skills. Most MMOs however are at the far end of the spectrum, with few meaningful choices to be made, they are nearly a pure leveling system. WOW for instance won't even allow its players to choose what attributes they increase (one of my personal pet peeves). EVE and preNGE SWG are at the other end, being pure or nearly pure skill systems. Funcom's last MMO, Anarchy Online, I'd rate as being around a 2:1 skill vs level ratio. AoC from what I've seen, experienced and heard, falls somewhere in between a 1:1 and 2:1 level vs skill.

To put it another way, on a scale of 1 to 10, with EVE as a 1 and WOW as a 10, AoC would be a 5-7.

It's NOT skill based.    Theres no Swordsmanship skill.    Your level and Stats determines your proficiencey with a weapon.   At MAX level using a weapon more and more,  Won't increase your profiency with a weapon.    It's VERY much a LEVEL based game.  Not Skill. 

Being able to adjust your stat arrangement doesn't make it a  "Skill" based game.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Being able to adjust your stat arrangement doesn't make it a  "Skill" based game.

I didn't say it did, I was just pointing out that there's a significant difference between it and most MMOs. I even conceded that its closer to being pure level based than skill.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

I'm sure whatever channels they have, you will be able to switch them on/off :)

I didn't play AO but it seems to be pretty typical stuff to me... you get xp for killing stuff, you get skill points for having so much xp and you get the skills you want.

There is no actual talent involved in doing anything in AoC.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by LouiseK

I'm sure whatever channels they have, you will be able to switch them on/off :)
    I didn't play AO but it seems to be pretty typical stuff to me... you get xp for killing stuff, you get skill points for having so much xp and you get the skills you want.
    There is no actual talent involved in doing anything in AoC.

Aren't you the same person that said on the official forums asking where the technical beta forums were?

1. Breaking the NDA, promptly getting posts removed, and causing a ruckus on the boards.

2. All you are ever interested in is Beta testing games, but your views are to just play them, by your own admittance.

3. I don't know how you you can come to the conclusion that "There is no actual talent involved in doing anything in AoC." you haven't played all parts yet.

4. You also have a negative view here: "It is a very simple button mashing game and the boobies fail to add any depth, maybe even subtract from it." right yet again you really know, would love to know your basis for this assumption :P

5. Please don't say you got into a stress test and based your views off that.

Yes the game has common themes to most mmorpg's (obviously - its the genre) but there is no way to tell about the crafting systems, tactical scope in a siege, etc etc until that information is final and released. So talent wise you fail in your flame...