Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my take on the demo

ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

So here I find myself on a saturday morning, it's raining and I've got nothing to do.  I've been messing around with Tabula Rasa (it's an "okay" game) and the beta ended last night so I need something else to mess around with.  I check out ol' File Planet and decide to download the hellgate demo.  (yeah I know this beta is closed as well)  Here are some of the impressions it left me with in no particular order:

What I liked:

1)  I really enjoyed the visuals.  The feel of the streets as I walked down them, the detail of the weapon in my hand, the ads randomly posted on walls (real companies like Dark Horse comics, NVIDIA, etc etc)

2)  I liked how you could shoot stuff in mid-air as it jumped at you.  I know that sounds stupid but for some reason I got a kick out of it.

3)  I go a big kick out of shooting a demon zombie in half and the legs kept running at me.  In retrospect I should have let it keep coming at me to see if it would kick me or something for an attack.

4)  I thought the weapon variety was ok.  Machine pistols, rocket pistols, machine guns and such.

5)  I had a love/hate with the loot method.  I liked that you could hold "f" with loot somewhat close to you on the screen.

6)  I thought the UI layout was well done.  It had a nice feel to it and it was simple.  This is pretty much a hack and slash game as I take it so you don't need a whole lot of clutter.  The shops were pretty cool too.

What I disliked:

1)  explosions.  Cmon devs, if I am dumb enough to blow up a barrel full of gas or a bottle of propane (or whatever those were)  right next to myself I should take some serious damage.  At the start I was carefully blowing them up with some distance from myself but then when I realized it didn't matter I felt a little screwed over.  It hurt demons but why not me?  It seemed inconsistant with the realism I think they were going for.

2)  In keeping with the damage thing, why on earth would I not take damage if I jump out of a 2-3 story window?  Another inconsistancy and ruined my imersion into the world a little further.

3)  ammo/reloads.  Unlimited ammo is one thing but never even reloading?  I think it means more when you're thinking "every shot must count"  (see resident evil)

4) generic mobs/buildings.  I think I came across the same building like 5 times.  Walk in the door, there's a hole to the right and stairs to the left.  Drop down the hole, open a chest. run up the stairs to the top open another chest.  I also felt the mobs all looked exactly alike which is common in many many games but still doesn't make it ok.  I wanna see adventurers like myself turned into zombies and then kill them.  I wanna shoot little old lady zombies, priest zombies, grocery store clerk zombies, and a larger variety of demons. 

5)  I didn't like the "easter egg hunt" feel of random loot.  Let me explain:  You run around shooting every box, pallet, paint can, barrel and anything else you see for loot/coins.  ie: "leave no stone unturned"  It was ok at first but then it got to be a chore.  Not that you had to do that but if you didn't it seemed like you might have missed something good if you didn't.  Also who leaves all that gear and money in cardboard boxes all over the place.  Want to make it real?  Like I said earlier, let me shoot a zombie police guy and take his money, gun or any piece of useful gear he is wearing. 

6)  loot method.  As stated above it's love/hate.  I didn't like having to press a button to pick up drops, it was a bit of a pain.  This point isn't actually too big of a deal but I figured I'd mention it.

7)  I didn't like the look of the people I interacted with.  They looked like store mannequins or something similar.  They also had quirky body language.  The voice acting was good, I'll give em that but everything else was lacking.

In closing, this was what I walked away with after having played the demo which may or may not be anything like the actual game.  Those of you who did the beta please feel free to chime in on this thread on some of the points I've made.  I have a few questions of my own.  Was there an auction house?  Did this have a MMO feel or was it really just a glorified shooter?  Is it really gear dependant?  Does a ranged character just kite and shoot without getting hit? (I think in the whole demo I only took minor damage once or twice and never really felt any risk of death)  Is there class balance or is one overpowered?

As it stands now I think I'm going to pass on this one unless I read a lot of positive feedback.  Tabula Rasa still has an edge over Hellgate in my eyes.  Not that any of this really matter as many of us are all just waiting for WAR and AoC, lol.

Thanks for reading and I wish you all the best of luck.

Comments

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I liked the demo. The only problem I had was that I fell threw the ground a few times, and for some reason my character kept swinging and wouldn't move. I don't know if that was a bug, or some feature I was enabling on an accident.

• ProdigusProdigus Member Posts: 28

The demo is a piece of crap.  The real game (or what I played in the beta) is infinitely better.

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Prodigus

The demo is a piece of crap.  The real game (or what I played in the beta) is infinitely better.

Exactly, the demo is a very poor representation of the online game. And if you did like the demo, then wait till you play the online version.

• KrileonKrileon Member Posts: 314

I didn't play the demo, but wtf do you expect.. it's a demo! Nearly all demos practicly suck.. it's just to give you a MINOR MINOR MIIINOOOORRR feel of the game.

Same objects? DUH IT'S THE DEMO! You don't have the full stinking game..

On the rest of your dislikes.. you're looking at the game from all the wrong angles. This isn't the next Counter-Strike buddy. It's modelled after Diablo2s playstyle. No reloading will remain. Unlimited ammo will remain. It's the style! Fast paced in your face action.

Splash damage from barrels is to prevent friendly fire.. that could be abused in so many ways to screw over team mates in more ways then I can count. No thanks.

Falling damage.. that's just an annoyance at best.. remove it.. not a necessity.

You're asking for freaken realism in a game based on HELLISH DEMONS RUNNING AROUND IN THE DANG FUTURE.. yes.. that's REAL.. very.. very.. REAL..

Next.. YOU'RE REVIEWING A DAMN DEMO.. kkthx nuff said

[ Played ] 2Moons, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Everquest II, Guild Wars, HellGate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Rappelz, RF Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Last Chaos

[ Playing ] Everquest II

[ Waiting ] Aion, Age of Conan

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677
    Originally posted by Krileon

You're asking for freaken realism in a game based on HELLISH DEMONS RUNNING AROUND IN THE DANG FUTURE.. yes.. that's REAL.. very.. very.. REAL..

Could happen.......

• trev9999trev9999 Member Posts: 199

it was just a demo and u couldn't even play through past the first area which really sucked but I already got this **** pre-ordered so it's gonna be alight anyways. Oh and I also have WAR and AOC pre-ordered along with Tabula Rasa. He's right I'm waiting for WAR and AoC.

CURRENTLY PLAYING SHAIYA

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

Well my impression after playing for several days is that is a fun shoot em up game.  You can lay down a ton of lead with a marksmen for example or tear things up with a blade master.  Nothing overly complicated; much like a futuristic Diablo.  What I really like about it the are options to upgrade and enchance your weapons/armor.  There are several ways to do this and you don't have to run around looking for an enchanter or an engineer to do it.     An annoying thing I noticed is that when playing one class you seem to get alot of drops that only another class can use.  When playing my blade master and killing a boss I would get drops for a marksmen for example, then when I played the marksmen I got blade master items dropping.  This seems common in few games out there and is frustrating.   If they want to do that, make the storage area common for all your characters as in Titan Quest Immortal Throne.   I was also hoping for a little more terrifying atmosphere like in the Alien movies when you don't know what is going to jump on your back next or pop up around the next corner.  I think I was the more terrifying creature as spewed out a lead curtain of death.  Anyway, its a pretty fun, blast or swing away type of game from what I saw.  Grab a friend or 2 and go kill some stuff.  

• MaNiaGGMaNiaGG Member UncommonPosts: 76

Been writing a huge post, but seems like it got eaten by the forums.

In short: The game isn't what it could have been (or what I expected it should be) and im not 100% sure if it is worth playing.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

I agree with most of the OP's points. I will still probably pickup the game at release as there just isnt much goin on for me in the gaming world this year.

I thought the demo was bland and boring and took forever to DL. After slobbering on gorgeous screens of this title for a year, the graphics ingame were very underwhelming. The overall action/pace seemed pretty generic and simplified. I guess I was hoping for a hybrid of a shooter and vampires bloodlines type interaction. Maybe the final release will offer more up, but the demo I can only give 3 of 5 stars. The best bright spot for me was that the demo ran smoothly on my 7800.

• xtwizxxtwizx Member Posts: 36

I played the demo before the beta. It was a completely different experience playing the beta.

• BobRossBobRoss Member Posts: 213

Its a f*cking demo for christ's sake.  Shit if I judged an MMO based on its trial island I don't think I'd be playing anything right now.  Its clear that their demo was an afterthought and they made a stupid decision releasing that demo because fanboys like you who have never played the beta will b*tch and moan about it even though the real thing is so much better.
    Quit your f*cking b*tching people and head to your local Wal-Mart to pay $5 for a preorder access to the beta so that you'll shut the f*ck up and quit reviewing demos for christ's sake.
    God sorry about that rant but some ignorant muthaf*ckas just piss me off sometimes. 
    It will be ok Prodigus. Here take this gun. Now point it over there in that alley. See the demons? Start blasting them Quick or they will eat you alive!

Bob Ross

• ProdigusProdigus Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by BobRoss

Its a f*cking demo for christ's sake.  Shit if I judged an MMO based on its trial island I don't think I'd be playing anything right now.  Its clear that their demo was an afterthought and they made a stupid decision releasing that demo because fanboys like you who have never played the beta will b*tch and moan about it even though the real thing is so much better.
    Quit your f*cking b*tching people and head to your local Wal-Mart to pay $5 for a preorder access to the beta so that you'll shut the f*ck up and quit reviewing demos for christ's sake.
    God sorry about that rant but some ignorant muthaf*ckas just piss me off sometimes. 
    It will be ok Prodigus. Here take this gun. Now point it over there in that alley. See the demons? Start blasting them Quick or they will eat you alive!

Bob Ross

I'm going to London.

• KrileonKrileon Member Posts: 314

Bob Ross

I'm going to London.

I love those ads. I like reading the one with the guy that was like "They killed my family and ripped my girlfriend in half.. I'm going to London"

I LOLed at that.

[ Played ] 2Moons, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Everquest II, Guild Wars, HellGate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Rappelz, RF Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Last Chaos

[ Playing ] Everquest II

[ Waiting ] Aion, Age of Conan

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

Bob Ross

I'm going to London.

LOL @ ignorant, that was hands down the biggest cry baby rant I've ever seen in my life.  You obviously didn't read a damn thing I said.  On a side note, if these forums cause your diapers to bunch up so much why don't you go troll a different site.

• salamander13salamander13 Member Posts: 100

The demo is not that much off from the full game. (as some are saying its nothing like the full game) With the exception of a few maps your pretty much going down those same sub halls and city streets for the rest of the game with demons and the like coming at you down hallways like a 3D galaga.

I have some fun playing it though. But then I got the game cause I had fun playing the demo.. If you didnt like the demo then your not gonna like the game.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by salamander13

The demo is not that much off from the full game. (as some are saying its nothing like the full game) With the exception of a few maps your pretty much going down those same sub halls and city streets for the rest of the game with demons and the like coming at you down hallways like a 3D galaga.
     I have some fun playing it though. But then I got the game cause I had fun playing the demo.. If you didnt like the demo then your not gonna like the game.
    My view differs.  I have seen the demo, I have seen my friend play his beta all along.  I did not install the beta cos of the "spyware" issue.

My friend literally gave me a copy of HGL.  He keep one copy when all others on his shelf were sold within an hour whenever he restocked.  I have tried it for 5 days since, and I would say, its better than the demo, its better then the beta, and its a fun game for its genre.

This not an WoW-clone.  No orcs trolls elves or dwarves.  The third person view feels a bit odd for me.  However gaming in the first person view using range combat characters is quite fun.  We have yet to see a good chat and grouping interface, AH, ingame mail, but for all the missing parts, the core game is fun.

If FS continue to introduce more and more features, there is a chance this game can grow into a full blown hack and slash (shoot and blow up) game.  Its not WoW, but looking at it from the other way, WoW does not provide as much fun with run around, shoot and forget style of gameplay.