Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impression

Well I got a trial key for this game and downloaded it the download finished maybe 2 hours ago and since then I've been online.

My computer specs arn't great but not bad either my video card though is definitly lacking:

AMD 4400+ x2 (dual core)

2 GB RAM

Gefroce 7100 GS with 256 MB of vid ram and 256 MB shared ram (making for 512 total)

Of course my video card can't handle the game at maxed out settings so their at low but even at low the terrain is gorgeous by far the best I've ever seen. Characters though? they look plain out...weird. They seem to almost be metalic......I'm not sure if this is an issue with my video card or just some quirk of Vanguard but it's not a huge issue.

I havn't gotten far in terms of gameplay yet but so far it seems to be nice.....but fighting seems a bit generic like I said I havn't gotten far into yet but so far what I've experienced is cookie cut fighting action.

The crafting system I havn't got into yet but it's the whole reason I'm even trying Vanguard and I've heard good things about it.

Edit: the classes are also nice I like the setup and diversity. Also I have experienced no lag so far.

Edit 2:

I already hit a huge bump with crafting....

I'm doing the tutorial for blacksmithing and I did everything right have everything eqpuiped and it says I'm missing Smithing when I'm not.

I talked with someone ingame who tried to help me but after an hour of me and him working together he was stumped to so I abdoned it all then reaccepted re went through and same problem.

Good thing though the community is very helpful.

edit 3: I got crafting working on a new toon but couldn't get it working on my old one still. Either way I love the crafting system

So far this game gets a 8/10 and at least for the moment is still holding my interest once I get into crafting I think that rating will go up (or if fighting starts to become unique in any way)

Also if people havn't noticed I update my rating of the game as I go along.

Comments

• lumiolumio Member Posts: 44

I agree with the matallic feel. has to do with some kind of wierd reflection thing in the engine, but you get used to it and then its not as wierd as you think.

Anyway, as far as combat, you have to get to the 30's and such is where it gets deeper and more skilled. and some classes gets specialized

• junerianjunerian Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by lumio

I agree with the matallic feel. has to do with some kind of wierd reflection thing in the engine, but you get used to it and then its not as wierd as you think.
    Anyway, as far as combat, you have to get to the 30's and such is where it gets deeper and more skilled. and some classes gets specialized

Well thats good but I doubt my toon will be level 30 some before the trials over especialy since I'm planning to use my trial to try and get a taste of all the aspects of the game not just leveling.

Also if I do decide to play before I sub I will definitly be upgrading my vid card.

• lumiolumio Member Posts: 44

true, I am just saying more to come if you dicide to get it

Originally posted by lumio

true, I am just saying more to come if you dicide to get it

oh yea I know   also can anyone tell me if this game has endgame content and if so what is it?

• caldiscaldis Member Posts: 149

There's a lot to like when you first get into Vanguard.  It seems like a decent game with interesting things to do.  I dont feel it stands the test of time though.  The content gets really boring and repetitive very quick and there end up being a lot of little hassles that get in the way of having fun.

I'd really recommend finding a guild that matches your play times and style.  The game is fun when you are able to find groups and take on dungeons but I found that it was a very boring solo game.  YMMV  but I couldnt take the boring grindfests of Crafting or DIplomacy.

I already hit a huge bump with crafting....

I'm doing the tutorial for blacksmithing and I did everything right have everything eqpuiped and it says I'm missing Smithing when I'm not.

I talked with someone ingame who tried to help me but after an hour of me and him working together he was stumped to so I abdoned it all then reaccepted re went through and same problem.

Good thing though the community is very helpful.

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Not sure about the crafting problem your having - missing smithing....tbh i dont have a clue what is going on there, sry mate.

In regards to end game content though, theres no Raiding on the live servers as yet (but the first raid dungeon is going in with the current update pretty soon), but there is a decent amount of group content at 50. The Gorg Swamp, Rhaz Inkur, and the Nusibe Necropilis area have quests galore for level 50 Ultra Rare armour/weapons/jewellery that will keep you busy for a fair while.

And its true that getting into a good guild will enhance the game 10 fold. Imho regular groups are the key to having an enjoyable VG experience. GL with your travels , and if you can get around the problem your having with crafting - stick with it! A high level Smith (armour OR weapon) can roll around in as much cash as they want.

Originally posted by FischerBlack

Not sure about the crafting problem your having - missing smithing....tbh i dont have a clue what is going on there, sry mate.
    In regards to end game content though, theres no Raiding on the live servers as yet (but the first raid dungeon is going in with the current update pretty soon), but there is a decent amount of group content at 50. The Gorg Swamp, Rhaz Inkur, and the Nusibe Necropilis area have quests galore for level 50 Ultra Rare armour/weapons/jewellery that will keep you busy for a fair while.
    And its true that getting into a good guild will enhance the game 10 fold. Imho regular groups are the key to having an enjoyable VG experience. GL with your travels , and if you can get around the problem your having with crafting - stick with it! A high level Smith (armour OR weapon) can roll around in as much cash as they want.
    I didn't play at all today hadda go outa town for most of the day spent like 8 hours driving all together but im home now but relaxing and getting some chores done but later tonight ima login and try and fix up my smithing problem (if worse comes to worse role a new toon maybe its a char bug?) but unfortunatly that'll lower my first free trial impression of the game quite a bit .

But whole reason I'm trying VG is for its crafting...so if I don't get that working I won't sub

• MirrimMirrim Member Posts: 143

It may be a new bug that was introduced that is causing problems. If you can, buy a stack of each utility you don't have already in your bag. Then make sure you use autosetup for your craft table. You should be able to get into the recipe and see what it was wanting. They added in some additional utility uses and it didn't translate right to the initial recipe listing check or something.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mirrim
    Chanter, Spatalos Server

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

There are definitely some issues with lower level crafting, or there were anyway. Though I'm not sure if its a bug or if its player error.

When I was playing my first craft toon could not get through the tutorial, and I got pissed and stopped trying. A week or two later I went through it again with a different toon on a different server and everything worked smooth.

Honestly, I think its just so retardedly complicated that you probably missed something in the wording of what it asked you to do.

I never figured out what I did wrong the first time, I just know it worked when I tried it again at a later time.

D.

• SeptopusSeptopus Member Posts: 101

Does this game require large time sinks and constant grouping? I'd like to try it after all the recent updates but I don't have enough time to play anything other than casually. Thanks for any help, enjoy your game in the meantime!

Mirrim the guy who helped me had me do all of that, the only thing he could think of and conclude was it was a bug.

daelnor I'm just on a free trial so I don't have time to wait a week or anything but if I can't get it working tonight (bout to login and try) I'm going to role a new toon and try again. But like I said whole reason I'm trying VG is for the crafting so if I can't get it working I won't sub...I may revisit it at a later date after they have more issues fixed up though.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Septopus

Does this game require large time sinks and constant grouping? I'd like to try it after all the recent updates but I don't have enough time to play anything other than casually. Thanks for any help, enjoy your game in the meantime!

It can be soloed. It's slower than grouping but possible. Some classes are better at soloing, some are worse. Better to make some research before rolling.

MMORPG is always a timesink. Depends on how much time you want to spend there. Noone will force especially not the game to play it 14 hours a day. You can play 5 hours a week and still enjoy your time there.

REALITY CHECK

I got crafting working on a new toon but couldn't get it working on my old one still. Either way I love the crafting system