Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The truth about VG and MMorpg

13»

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by Vampuro

lol seriously tho... "okey dokey there sport!"... i have to comment about this every time im on mmorpg.com until this thred dies :P

Please do...

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by AcidCat

All this means is that there are people out there who will play anything.

Your thesis is more applicable to WoW than Vanguard.  In WoW, people will repeatedly do the same things (raid, faction-grind) because they are 1) addicted, 2) there is nothing else to do, and 3) it runs well on their generic (Asian-made) PC.

The Vanguard player is more discerning on

1) World

a) size

b) feel

c) authenticity

2) Graphics

a) cutting-edge

b) so demanding no gold-farmer in Thailand or China can run the game

3) Classes

a)  unique classes

b)  all useful in their own way (think EQ 1)

4) Gameplay

a) more challenge

b) more complexity (different tactics for different mobs; the mob reacts differently)

I could continue.  I think once Vanguard implements more 1) character customization, 2) more raiding, 3) more fun features such as fishing it will do quite well.  Assuming AoC and WAR does not really deplete its population further.  I imagine the population, today, must be increasing if only slightly.

As an aside, it is not a stretch to say that WoW is mostly a child's game and Asian.www.youtube.com/watch

WoW is so easy, a child, an Asian gold farmer, and a caveman could play it.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Large authentic world!  No gold spammers!  Cutting edge graphics with unique all useful classes and monster AI that is a real challange and difficult! 

Please let me know what game you are speaking of, because I want to play it.

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

Avoiding this site for honest feedback on this game is good advise.  For many people, there is no graphicly acceptable alternative to VSoH.  If I had never played this game, and considered the opinions of the more outspoken people here, God help us, I would probably believe Vanguard could give you aids and set your video card on fire.  And that by supporting it, I would be ushering in a new age of crappy games from developers that don't consider what they do to be art anymore. 

• Yeah people on this borde seem to be mad because they got them selfs overhyped over a video game and were let down. 

You should never get you're self to hyped for a game or you will probley be disapointed.

• daryoshdaryosh Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Tnice

There are a lot of good games coming out and already out such as PoTBS, EQ2, WoW, and even GuildWars that people can spend their time and money on.

LOL. only saying the word "WoW" in that context prooves your ignorance. vg is one of the best games after swg (pre nge). it just is not finished. however, it will be finished sometime. new games? so what do we have there:

- warhammer. wow- clone with daoc pvp. another cartoon- mmorpg. no mam.

- tabula rasa. a game without any noncombat features. no mam.

to take just 2 examples of the biggest recent outcomings.  the whole mmorpg world is a mess at the moment and vg is one of the exceptions of that.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by mmonkey

I'm definitely trying the trial when it hits. The copious amounts of hater-ade have intrigued me. If potbs is as good as I hope, a successful Vanguard trial may inch me towards a station pass.
    Hater-ade, I bout fell out of my seat....

It is way to true though. 

Anyway, imo it is mainly the performance that drove so many away.  If you can't play the damn thing, then how can you know if it is fun or not.  I actually upgraded my computer after I played this, because it did look like it had potential(also I had no expectations whatsoever, I thought it was way much hype from the getgo).  I don't play it anymore, but it still isn't a bad game at all.  I would definately say the gameplay is a good bit better than a alot of MMO's out right now.

• Zayla1074Zayla1074 Member Posts: 21

I strted VG in the Beta, Pre-Ordered and stayed with it for a couple months after launch. At that time there were several/bug and perf problems.    I reactivated my account a month or 2 ago, and while the perfomance of the game was far better that last I played there were still a couple things that drove me NUTS!

1. The Combat Animations.   I cant really explain it, but they always looks so cheap and choppy.    Has this been fixed yet? At one point in BETA we were told these animations were just PH animations until the bugs were ironed out, and that it was a polish thing to be fixed later.

2. Chunking Problems.   I/E , falling through the world at sea, torch being rest, horse disappearing, weather differnces chunk to chunk.

3. Character customization.  Yes, there lots of options.  But with only 4 hairstyles (which we were PROMISED more by launch) everyone ends up looking basically the same in the world. Very subtle differences.

Now, before I get yelled for ragging on the game I must make it clear, over all...  I truly enjoyed VG,   I do think has the potential to become a GREAT game!  I quit due to these reasons ,  plus several other small reasons which appears SOE has fixed or are fixing atm.  Basically I quit playing, because the game was by no means a finished product, now worth it to me to PAY to play BETA, which is what it felt like to me.

My biggest compalint was simply the animations.  It drove me completely nuts, being in a huge beatiful world and my character looked so ....... well ....     generic when fighting LOL.

So in short,  have these issues been addresed yet?    I do look forward to returning to VG one day when, and if they get everything fixed.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

1. Nothing has changed on this one accept for they did improve fps, which indirectly lead to cutting a few clips of animation off  our characters.This makes them look a little choppy if you look closely. Not noticable in combat but when running through towns an stuff.  No new animations for combat so, every caster looks the same when they cast practically an same with melee looking same in combat.

2.Chunking has become much smoother. Also torches stay lit. Only downside is with gu3 phase 1, if you play a bard and are unlucky, which I do an have been, you will instantly die or loose all your energy an not be able to maintain a song without logging out to reset. Doesnt happen to terribly often depending on your luck.

3. Still just 4 hairstyles.

to quote you:

Now, before I get yelled for ragging on the game I must make it clear, over all... 

Don't worry bout the "rabid" fanbois, their bark is worse then their bite. This is a public forum that one should not feel uncomfortable in while asking questions or expressing opinions.

Yes, I am currently playing.

I appreciate the answers.    I may give it a month more or so for another major patch and return to see how it is.    Performance wise, it did seem considerably better last I was there.  Just still had that "unfinished" feel to it so to speak, at least for me.

I do look forward to returning though once they get most fixed :)

• pepcfreakpepcfreak Member UncommonPosts: 106

I played Vanguard for quite some time however i agree that it is nothing more than a level to 50 and gank as many people as you can with your friends. Thats it.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by truenorthbg

Your thesis is more applicable to WoW than Vanguard.  In WoW, people will repeatedly do the same things (raid, faction-grind) because they are 1) addicted, 2) there is nothing else to do, and 3) it runs well on their generic (Asian-made) PC.

1) World

a) size

b) feel

c) authenticity

2) Graphics

a) cutting-edge

3) Classes

a)  unique classes

4) Gameplay

a) more challenge

b) more complexity (different tactics for different mobs; the mob reacts differently)

I could continue.  I think once Vanguard implements more 1) character customization, 2) more raiding, 3) more fun features such as fishing it will do quite well.  Assuming AoC and WAR does not really deplete its population further.  I imagine the population, today, must be increasing if only slightly.

As an aside, it is not a stretch to say that WoW is mostly a child's game and Asian.www.youtube.com/watch

Well there can be alternate ways to "understand" what you are trying to say.

VG is large, yes but its may be bad for the game.  With a poor launch and with most of its players gone in a month since, the map becomes empty.  Added to that, each race starts in its own town, it would mean newbies will hardly be able to play together, which is not good in my own opinion.  Yes WoW also have separate starter towns, but its far more solo friendly, and far more populated.

VG has no gold farmers?  Oh come on, there are gold farmers during beta and there are webs up advertising gold and preparing to sell with launch; but alas no more farmers after launch.  Where have they gone?  Broke.  No one buys gold, no one wants gold.  No one online.

Farmers are rich, hardware is never a problem for them, hardware is a problem for the less wealthy players who need to pay for college tuition fees or mortgage.  Farmers use 8800 b/c they need to spot the ore from max distance and sprint to it.

In as much as you want to explain your assessment of VG, there is no need to belittle WoW.  That only makes you look silly.  My faith in your judgment vanished the moment I read the last line.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by Orthedos

1) World

a) size

b) feel

c) authenticity

2) Graphics

a) cutting-edge

3) Classes

a)  unique classes

4) Gameplay

a) more challenge

Well there can be alternate ways to "understand" what you are trying to say.

VG is large, yes but its may be bad for the game.  With a poor launch and with most of its players gone in a month since, the map becomes empty.  Added to that, each race starts in its own town, it would mean newbies will hardly be able to play together, which is not good in my own opinion.  Yes WoW also have separate starter towns, but its far more solo friendly, and far more populated.

VG has no gold farmers?  Oh come on, there are gold farmers during beta and there are webs up advertising gold and preparing to sell with launch; but alas no more farmers after launch.  Where have they gone?  Broke.  No one buys gold, no one wants gold.  No one online.

Farmers are rich, hardware is never a problem for them, hardware is a problem for the less wealthy players who need to pay for college tuition fees or mortgage.  Farmers use 8800 b/c they need to spot the ore from max distance and sprint to it.

In as much as you want to explain your assessment of VG, there is no need to belittle WoW.  That only makes you look silly.  My faith in your judgment vanished the moment I read the last line.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• GormandYGormandY Member Posts: 411

Originally posted by Vaedur

Try it.. u'll like it, if you can run i t :)

Gief buddy key plz :( I rly wanna try it

As far as gold farmers in VG:

When i played in BETA and after launch, wI did get a few spams to buy gold on occasion.    Sigil did do well though on it, all you had to do was report them,  and typically 30min. - 1 hr later there was a server wide announcement so-and-so was banned.   They did well keeping it clean for the most part.

Then came SOE .......  I quit soon after.

When i returned to see if the game was in any better shape, I made a brand new toon on the PVP server.

To my surprise, i had 2 tell before i finished zoning into the world.   After i was there, i seen it was a gold farmer trying to sell his gold.   20 min and 6 tells later ... (YES   6 gold spams ion 20 min of zoning in) I logged to me other character on a PVE server.   Sadly, just as bad there :(

After a petition to SOE the response I got was:

We understand and are currently working on a filter so you can block these messages.   WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

So whats the differnce between 1 or 2 tells a day, and many suspensions to what it is now?

SOE

A recent report about a bot group in EQ2 resulted in same answer LMAO.   "we understand but there are filters in place."   Im thinking ...   You can filter out seeing other players??? interesting :P  

Sadly, I dont think they care :(     EQ2 is just as bad anymore.  Because, IMO, SOE would rather    "cover it up"   than fix it.    

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

There was actually a really large gold dupe in effect for a while (pre server merge).  You could see on the VGplayer site the same 3 character names on every server where always in the top 10 wealthiest as they had a pretty effective system going.

Not that Sigil didn't already have their hands full trying to fix enough already.  I'm not sure how long it went on or making any claims of the effect on the game, but yes the gold sellers were very much there and annoying as in all games.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by Zayla1074

As far as gold farmers in VG:

When i played in BETA and after launch, wI did get a few spams to buy gold on occasion.    Sigil did do well though on it, all you had to do was report them,  and typically 30min. - 1 hr later there was a server wide announcement so-and-so was banned.   They did well keeping it clean for the most part.

Then came SOE .......  I quit soon after.

When i returned to see if the game was in any better shape, I made a brand new toon on the PVP server.
    To my surprise, i had 2 tell before i finished zoning into the world.   After i was there, i seen it was a gold farmer trying to sell his gold.   20 min and 6 tells later ... (YES   6 gold spams ion 20 min of zoning in) I logged to me other character on a PVE server.   Sadly, just as bad there :(

After a petition to SOE the response I got was:
     We understand and are currently working on a filter so you can block these messages.   WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

So whats the differnce between 1 or 2 tells a day, and many suspensions to what it is now?

SOE
      A recent report about a bot group in EQ2 resulted in same answer LMAO.   "we understand but there are filters in place."   Im thinking ...   You can filter out seeing other players??? interesting :P  
       Sadly, I dont think they care :(     EQ2 is just as bad anymore.  Because, IMO, SOE would rather    "cover it up"   than fix it.    
    There is another factor in that.  Beta keys are hard to come by.  Gold farmers do not have that many beta keys themselves.  Most gold farmers do not know english, and they are mostly employees, the employers (some are europeans and americans, as in one of the cases busted in HK, the bosses are US and Italian citizens) speaks english and they alone can get help their members thru the beta screening processes.

After launch these wealthy farmers started buying buddy keys, and use the keys of their own copies to spam.  Imagine 500k copies sold.  1% buddy keys purchased by the farmers = 5000 keys.  That might explain why you usually see more farmer spams after launch than during beta.

• giodee21giodee21 Member UncommonPosts: 31

With every game comes another hater for reasons unknown. Perhaps their rig is a piece of crap if they are refering to this game. I have played since Beta helped work through the bugs and mass exit. I was unsure of its future till recently with the new patches and bug fixes,and ofcourse the sever merge which made for a huge improvement.

Quest quality can be good and bad depending on the type of quest. There are some very long quests in the game that take you to every continent . If you actually have the time to read the lore and chain it together with the quest you will get the most bang for your buck.

Diplomacy is moving forward fast raids are incoming oh and did I mention Flying mounts that are amazing. There is little more you can ask for from a game . Ultimately the decision will be yours to try the game for yourselves. I suggest giving it a try as I have loved the game since Beta and the ideas that they have for the game . Growth is unlimited for this game chunks load faster than ever someties almost flawless for me .

Please give it a go and see what you think

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

1) World

a) size

b) feel

c) authenticity

2) Graphics

a) cutting-edge

3) Classes

a)  unique classes

4) Gameplay

a) more challenge

Wow so by telling so many lies in one post you think this will help the game? Seriously the no gold farmers part was just too Funny. Who the hell are you trying to fool really? Dude your in denial seriously or working for Sony. (couldn't be a former Sigil employee they were all let go over the last 6 months, Why you ask? Because the game is just soo good!)

Really I can respect a player for saying they like this or that game but when they come here spouting out lies as truth. Well gotta call a spade a spade

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

I had resubbed to this game twice out of boredom and prodding from friends (who are all gone anyhow). I would never recommend this game to anybody unless you are spoiled and money or time is of no concern. I know people like this game, good for them, but I think VG and the creator & publisher should be ashamed of themselves for scamming people since day 1 with complete lies.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I play EQ2 mainly, but I have the station pass and have been playing Vanguard a bit.  I really have been enjoying myself in the game.  It's not a game that is as far along or polished as EQ2, but it is a nice change of pace for me as I have seen everything in EQ2 and was gettin a bit burnt out on the same old raids and leveling alts in the same old places.

Vanguard has really improved since launch.  It really is much more optimized, but there are still some bugs, I fell threw the world trying to walk through a door my first 5 mins back in the game... but that was the only time its happened.

Anyway, this game isn't near as bad as most people say it is.  It has failed in the sense that it is just now getting to the point of where it should have been at launch, almost a year later, and it has a long way to go.   But, for all the games on the station pass, I play this one the most besides EQ2.

Anyway, I felt this thread needed a bit of unbiasedness (is that a word?)

Cheers and happy hunting in VG

• SevarianSevarian Member Posts: 31

I just started vanguard. i have a 15 necro and a 15 shaman.

I am completely addicted and love this game. It reminds me a lot of a modernized / redesigned EQ1 with awesome graphics (If you have a high end system) and a very very deep gameplay.

The naysayer here are just sore because of the disastrous launch, which I image was really frustrating. People felt betrayed back then and still do. If you like complex game play, tons of quests, and can handle some frustration while the Dev’s fix the bugs then Vanguard is for you.

• SharlocharSharlochar Member Posts: 52

I started Vanguard at release and call a Level 50 Rogue my own plus a few more twinks, however I did not play for several months now.

I enjoyed the game a lot, however there was a point where I decided not to pay for an unfinished product. Sure SOE has apparently fixed a lot of bugs, but all the latest happenings, moving the team to SOE offices completly and removing more of the core team tell me that it is probably not taking long until they close the game for good. I am not a hater of this game and i might even resubscribe when VG sees next year and gets back on track, but following the market very closely since years I am not convinced this will happen. SOE has a healthy fantasy game with EQ II, so it is all a matter of plus and minus, and if VG will produce more minus over time measures will probably be taken by SOE. It's called "business decision", and usually those decisions are not emotional, romantical or anything, they are just economical.