Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long ti skill up a fighter.

ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150

So, how many months/years would it take to skillup a good battle-ship. ie. One that can hold it's own in a 1v1 fight. Since skill increase is all about waiting weeks to months for it to raise.

Comments

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298

Its very hard to say exactly since your 1 vs 1 could be against many different ships.  Example would be to 1 vs. 1 a tech 1 frigate then you can do that within a 2-3 days but to 1 vs 1 a Command ship, which is a tech 2 battlecruiser, it would take 8 months to a year to get your skills up to par to fight against one in a Battleship and longer if you want to get into a Command ship yourself. 

You can start participating and be a valuable asset in Pvp within your first week being a tackler but you will lose your ship a lot.  This just happens in this role.  Then work your way up the ladder.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

1 vs 1 BS a scorpion basic fit some skills for jamming no need to get t2 just t1 named (max 2 months) if the opponent is not a t2 fit jamming ship u have alot of chances to win even if he tank like hell and u need some time to kill it
    1 vs 1 in eve don't happen if u get a 1vs1 something is going wrong or u are in test server

BestSigEver :P

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

I wouldn't risk a BS 1v1 against a vet for at least 6 months minimum.

-------------------------

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Exactly as the guys above said, 1v1 is more about what type of BS and what setup they have on that. Generally, you'd setup as one role, as opposed to thinking about countering everything - it's not possible.

I always like to tank, and if that's your thing then you'd need to train up armor/shield hardeners (depends on your ship), and skills that help your Cap... Sorry, couldn't say how long it'd take, but there's a program in the sticky that can calculate it for you, with your skills.

-iCeh

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

It will take anywhere from 2months-1year+ depending on the circumstances. As stated above there is so much that goes into figuring these things out...and player skill (Your skill) in piloting said ship.There is no cookie cutter time frame for such things in EVE. Every character differs in skills and abilities, so its very hard to give you a calculation.

Also the program mentioned above is called EVEMon.

~HappyGaming

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

It really depends on how well you get to know your ship (and your skills), and how carefully you pick your fights.

A lot of people assume you can't be effective until you can fly a battleship.  A battleship is probably the most versitle all-around combat ship, but there are many ways a BS pilot can lose their 200 million ISK investment to someone in a 10M ISK frigate if the frigate pilot is good and knows the weaknesses of the BS.

The trick is, you have to pick your targets wisely.  If you're flying a kestrel (caldari missile boat) with kinetic missiles, you know you need to get within about 35km to hit anything with them, and you know kinetic missiles do best against structure.  So, look for enemies that structure tank and use short range guns (like blasters)... I'm thinking gallente and minmatar.  Gallente are more likely to use drones, which you can pick off nicely if you use FOF missiles.  Beware of their rail guns though, as they have the range to snipe you if they're using them.

Also, if you're fighting larger ships, remember that they have greater firepower, but they also are slow and can't track small, fast targets very well.  Avoid missiles, as they can hit you... but you can probably dodge a battleship's 650mm guns for quite a while if you orbit them tight and fast.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by ziabatsu

So, how many months/years would it take to skillup a good battle-ship. ie. One that can hold it's own in a 1v1 fight. Since skill increase is all about waiting weeks to months for it to raise.
    Your'e looking at skills in EVE all wrong.  Some players don't even need to train Battleship to be viable.  My character has 30m skill points and I don't use BS's.  If you were to get in one after a month of skill training you'd likely decimate me If I were in the same ship.  then again, I would fit it out completely different then you so I just might be able to hold my ground.  ;)

How about Assault Frigates or Destroyers?  I can do more dmg with a Coercer then I can in any BS.  I had a teamate engage me with his BS a few weeks back and he had to ask me, with my little destroyer, to stop shooting him before I took him too far into his hull.

Keep in mind that EVE is about assets and bigger doesn't always mean better. 

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by mindspat

Keep in mind that EVE is about assets and bigger doesn't always mean better. 
    assets + specialization.

there's a lot of skills that are all-around good, no matter your ship (various navigation, electronics and engineering skills).  aside from that, decide what kind of pilot YOU want to be.

i know it sounds a bit trite and over-used; but it's very true.

do you want to be a spy or a scout?  train up cov ops ships, you can get into a cov ops frig fairly quickly.  then, as you continue to train other skills, you'll eventually be able to get into a black ops battleship (when they come out).

there's interceptors, interdictors, command ships, just a plethora of ships you CAN fly.

if you're just set on a battleship -- decide which one you want; then, train the skills for it.  you'll need to decide drones, missiles, guns (which type of guns), armor tank, shield tank, etc.   some ships may require most all types in order to fully maximize that ship's abilities.

so, maybe post what ship you're planning on flying (the name of that ship type, not just battleship/frigate/etc); and people could suggest info to throw into evemon.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

also know what weapons you wanna use, missles, turrets, drones ect.

Caldari=missles

minmatar=turrets

gallente=drones

amarr=???

i made the mistake of makeing a minmatar, when i wanted to use Missles, so im spending alot of my time training missle skills.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

I lke to think that each races ships has a primary wepon system a secondry and a tertiarry.

Amarr - Primary is lasers, secondry is Drones and tertiary is Missiles

Caldari - Primary is Missiles Secondry is Hybrid railguns and tertiary is Drones

Mimitar -  Primary is Projectiles, Secondry is Missiles and tertiary is drones.

Gallente -  Primary is Hybrid Blasters, Secondry is Drones and tertiary is missiles.

When you chose your ship to fly one thing you should read up on is that ships skill based Bonuses as that will tell you what modules it works best with. For example i belive the raven has a cruise missile velocity bonus and a kinetic damage bonus which tells me that ship is best used with cruise missile launchers and with Kinetic based missiles.

Oh and to get REALLY good with a particular battleship for 1v1 fights id say on average it will be around 6 months depending of course on the battleship in question. However be warned even if yuo do get good in a battleship with some kills under your belt still expect the odd newbish guy who comes aloong with a non-standard setup as yu will never be invincable forever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by MR-Bubbles

I lke to think that each races ships has a primary wepon system a secondry and a tertiarry.
    Amarr - Primary is lasers, secondry is Drones and tertiary is Missiles
    Caldari - Primary is Missiles Secondry is Hybrid railguns and tertiary is Drones
    Mimitar -  Primary is Projectiles, Secondry is Missiles and tertiary is drones.
    Gallente -  Primary is Hybrid Blasters, Secondry is Drones and tertiary is missiles.
    When you chose your ship to fly one thing you should read up on is that ships skill based Bonuses as that will tell you what modules it works best with. For example i belive the raven has a cruise missile velocity bonus and a kinetic damage bonus which tells me that ship is best used with cruise missile launchers and with Kinetic based missiles.

Oh and to get REALLY good with a particular battleship for 1v1 fights id say on average it will be around 6 months depending of course on the battleship in question. However be warned even if yuo do get good in a battleship with some kills under your belt still expect the odd newbish guy who comes aloong with a non-standard setup as yu will never be invincable forever.
    Can you explain to me what each of those weapons actually do. It would seem somewhat self explanatory to a sci-fi fan, but I don't take anything for granted and assuming is a bad habit to get into. So could you please tell me what each type of weapon actually does and what playstyles they suite.

I would like something fast with good offensive capabilities or something large, with great defense and firepower. I prefer weapons that you can aim and pull the trigger and watch your enemy blow up or sustain damage. I also like missles/torpedos that follow the targets heat signature around. I also like to have the option of disabling my oponent with ion cannons (EMT pulse).

I don't want to be a scout or covert op ship. I don't like flying alone, unless I am in a big and powerful ship. If I am flying a small fighter, I would like to be part of a squadron.

What would you suggest?

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Missiles: Mostly slow, but always hit (expect when the target is too fast or too small. You wont damage an Interceptor at full speed with Citadel Torpedoes (biggest Torps ingame). They take time to fly to the target

Hybrids: Railguns have a very high range, but less damage then other weapons on longrange. Blasters are the weapons with the shortest range but highest damage in Eve.

Lasers: Quite longrange, even shortrange-lasers (pulselasers) recht quite far. Nice damage, impossible to use on other ships then amarr due to their high capacitor usage.

Projectile: Quite longrange too, high rof, incredible ammo-usage. Autocannons for closerange, Artilleries for sniping. Artys got the highsest alphastrike you can get for a sniper.

Drones: Strange things. They can dish out nice damage, they can be fast, they can repair, they can use ecm, all depending on type. I like them as additional firepower against smaller ships my guns cant hit, others use them as main damagedealers. they dont use ammo nor capacitor, but can be destroyed and need time to travel to their prey

They all have their cons and pros and specific counters.

And then there are other weapons, like Smartbombs (aoe, damage everything around your ship, even friendlies), Bombs (only deployed by stealthbombers), Ecm-Modules (from jamming the enemies sensors to sensordampeners, targetpainters, warpjammers etc.)

So if you want to be usefull in a gang, you should use either:
    -Interceptors / interdictors, to catch the enemy
    -Recons (ecm-ships) so the enemy cant lock anyone, or cant hit anything with nearly useless guns, or takes very long to lock someone, or cant move, cant warp etc.
    -Damagedealers. A Megathron with large neutron blasters ripping apart the enemy, or similar battleships
    -Covert Ops to scan down enemy who hide somewhere in the system
    -Logistics to repair your mates. They are rarely used, but they can be very, very useful in a gang.

The best for newbies are interceptors, or t1-frigates for tackling (the famous rifter..). They dont cost too much and are very valuable for a fleet.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi 

I would like something fast with good offensive capabilities or something large, with great defense and firepower. I prefer weapons that you can aim and pull the trigger and watch your enemy blow up or sustain damage. I also like missles/torpedos that follow the targets heat signature around. I also like to have the option of disabling my oponent with ion cannons (EMT pulse).
    I don't want to be a scout or covert op ship. I don't like flying alone, unless I am in a big and powerful ship. If I am flying a small fighter, I would like to be part of a squadron.
    What would you suggest?
    First get the "X-wing versus Tie fighter ideas" out of your head. EVE's about large scale warships not so much the fighters. This means the movement style is more geared towards ordering a helmsman to change course and fighting consists of ordering your Weapons crews to light up the targets.

That said in EVE the opposite is true for flying alone, Big ships = dead, small ships might have a chance to live. Even the Best-tanked dread is completely hosed if he's caught alone by a small fleet.

As for suggestion Minmatar have the fast hard hitting ships with no tank except going so fast that weapons have trouble locking on. Amarr have a pretty solid tank but their not going to win most damage competitions. I would go for a cruiser and then decide what you want to do once you get a better understanding of the game mechanics and the interactions between different ship classes.

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207

I rarely use a bs for pvp cept in large fleet  ops where firepower is needed.. to me a bs is more a money making tool ie ratting.. and smaller ships are my choice for pvp.. you can focus train a fighter in eve in surprisingly short amount of time.. you just need to fight in situations that play to your stregths and if the fight doesn't fit that. you run..

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

ziabatsu, I read on one of your previous threads that you got banned from WoW!

Well done! Eve Online could be the game for you!

By the way, why were you banned from WoW, if you don't mind me asking?!

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

Can you explain to me what each of those weapons actually do. It would seem somewhat self explanatory to a sci-fi fan, but I don't take anything for granted and assuming is a bad habit to get into. So could you please tell me what each type of weapon actually does and what playstyles they suite.

What would you suggest?
    Well first of all with lasers you get two types. First of all you get beam lasers they fire long beams of energy. Now they tend to be of a longer range and a lower rate of fire per minuite. at a short range they often miss so keep at distance to target.

The other type are pulse lasers which have a much shorter range of fire but fire more often and are more accurate up close.

Railguns are like beam lasers too and blasters are like pulse lasers exept they do more damage. and there range is even shorter.

Projectiles are slit int 2 types as well artillery guns have a longer range as the name sujjests and do quite a bit of damage on a shot by shot basias BUT the time it taes to amke another shot is much longer. where a pulse laser makes a shot every 1.5 seconds a artilery makes one every 7 seconds. Autocannons are like pulse cannons in range and rate of fire damage wise they are slightly higher.

Missiles Come in a wide variety of types but basically they never miss as long as the target is within range and the damage tends to be higher in the begining.

Drones are like little mobile guns that operate in a similar way to pets in other MMO's you can ahve upto 5 unless your in a ship that says diffreently like carriers for example [unless this is nerfed that is].

Ship recomendation wise i advise you take a long term plan and follow something like this. Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battlecruiser then a Tech 2 cruiser such as a Curse which while is a recon ship is still good for PvP in solo mode or in a groupe.

And after that if you are so inclined train to fly a Command ship so you can command a squadron or 2 and be able to give them bonuses from your ship [tho this can take a year at the very leastif you want to be competent].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.