Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KOTOR MMO CONFIRMATION!

MCEscherMCEscher Member Posts: 97

Just kidding. 

There is absolutely no way that a KOTOR MMO will be made by BioWare - I hate to break it to you. 

Let me explain:

EA just bought BioWare, and will obviously publish the Bioware MMO - this is one of the main reasons they bought BioWare, I'm sure.  Everyone wants the next WoW (MASSIVE reoccuring profits) 

LucasArts publishes ALL major Star Wars titles. 

LucasArts and EA are competitors. 

I work in Intellectual Property.  There is no way LucasArts would sell a license agreement to the world's largest game publisher for their only real franchise. 

Nada. 

No chance in hell. 

Maybe with SWG (did LucasArts have a stamp on that?), before they knew what the MMO market was worth - but definitely not now with giant like WoW raising the bar for profitability.  BioWare is good, but I'm willing to bet LucasArts is looking at the bottom line for profit.  Remember that LucasArts had their stamp all over KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

Erase your sigs.

Comments

• solaris777solaris777 Member Posts: 117

i think you are working in nowhere :)

LA doesnt sell IP, it is some kind of HIRING right? just give them the company for develop a GAME

for example Is SONY got the all Star Wars IP ?

NO. they just developed one game.thats all.

LA sells the rights(of one game) Bioware develops, and EA publishes

we called it  "partnership" in economy science.

now, you can go back to your legos. :)

• vaizardvaizard Member Posts: 130

PWNT

• JagerMichaelJagerMichael Member Posts: 181

Not to mention, do you honestly believe that two of the most greedy companies out there would pass on the a chance to bank on a KOTOR MMO? Really?

And while they are competitors in the sense that they're both game publishers, they make very different games from each other.

And companies partnering up to joint publish a venture is nothing new in business. Movie companies do it all the time to share the cost. Why not LA and EA?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by MCEscher
    I work in Intellectual Property.  There is no way LucasArts would sell a license agreement to the world's largest game publisher for their only real franchise. 

LA didn't license it to EA. They licensed it to Bioware, before Bioware was bought by EA. Bioware has not been "absorbed" so to speak ( it has not been dissolved and renamed EA Edmonton, for example ), and still remains Bioware. Therefore, Bioware still has the license originally purchased from LA. Nothing LA can do about it. Of course, this is if Bioware is indeed doing a KotOR mmo, which has not been proven.

• MCEscherMCEscher Member Posts: 97

The amount that you fanbois do not understand this is amazing.  It's like you studied really hard in a class devoted to teaching you how NOT to understand it. 

LucasArts publishes games.  They license games to DEVELOPERS, and then PUBLISH the GAME (this is the "Compact Disk" you get in the pretty box) They make money not only off of their IP, but also by PHYSICALLY SELLING THE GAME. 

Why in the world would they sell this IP to a developer who just got bought by the world's largest game publisher?  You think Bioware is just that awesome that  LA would take a 50% profit cut on a game that would be a guaranteed best-seller anyway, because of all the fanbois out there? 

Further, Bioware HAD the rights to make SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.  VERY different than having the right to make an MMO, and even then LucasArts PUBLISHED THE GAMES.

You may notice that certain words are capitalized for emphasis.  This is to help you understand.

kthxbai.

• BlitzBladeBlitzBlade Member Posts: 71

lol funny!

But make no mistake it's coming soon!

• BlitzBladeBlitzBlade Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by solaris777

i think you are working in nowhere :)

LA doesnt sell IP, it is some kind of HIRING right? just give them the company for develop a GAME
    for example Is SONY got the all Star Wars IP ?
    NO. they just developed one game.thats all.
    LA sells the rights(of one game) Bioware develops, and EA publishes
    we called it  "partnership" in economy science.

now, you can go back to your legos. :)

REGARDLESS...

Many people will make A LOT of MONEY if this game is developed and released. MAKE NO MISTAKE...KOTOR WILL be on our machines at some point.

The upside is just too great!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Man I can't wait for this Kotor mmo.  It's gonna be great.

• SabrelSabrel Member UncommonPosts: 41

EA doesn't instantly assume publishing rights to all of BioWare's currently in-development titles. All of BioWare's previous contracts are still valid, regardless of the purchase. If they had contracted with LA to make a KOTOR MMO and have LA publish it, LA will /still/ publish it, no matter who owns BioWare now. EA will make profit off it, since BioWare profits are now EA profits, but they can't overturn any previous publishing agreements simply because they own the company now.

This discussion has been closed.