Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Page errors at mmorpg.com

TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

You guys really need to shut the site down again.  I can not identify it directly but this site has a virus or something.  When I leave my browser on mmorpg.com, my cpu goes to 100% and the browser does very strange behavior when clicking on objects.

One of your sponsers has a key logger or trojan on the site.  You should not accept ads from companies outside of the United States.

Comments

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

hrm...

i tested this site on 4 machines using 3 different OS's and 4 different builds of IE and i do not expereince the symptoms you describe.  I also clicked a different advertisment on each test, so i don think sponsor links are the problem...

do you have site advisor turned on in your virus scan?  It may be the problem....

Johnny

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84

No problem over here either. Tested quite some times and problem free.

• Scorn_ArkaneScorn_Arkane Member Posts: 189

I am not sure if it is a virus or not but when I click "Home" something tries to download to my computer but I never accept it. It just started happening a couple hours ago. The only way around this I have found is to just retype mmorpg.com every single time I want to view any topic. Kind of annoying but I enjoy the site.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Tnice

You guys really need to shut the site down again.  I can not identify it directly but this site has a virus or something.  When I leave my browser on mmorpg.com, my cpu goes to 100% and the browser does very strange behavior when clicking on objects.
    One of your sponsers has a key logger or trojan on the site.  You should not accept ads from companies outside of the United States.
    Because companies within the US are so trustworthy? *wink*

Tested on a couple machines here in the EU and no issues.

• CelastinCelastin Member Posts: 68

i think its just my end but everything i click is tring to save as , like the code its self and only for MMOrpg.com no other site , for example if i click a profile it saves as , if i click a forum with my left clicker it saves but if i right clikc and openin in new window it works fine

an its only MMO on my end

Funny you should say that, a moment ago when I clicked on a link to a forum post, I also got a file download window pop up...

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84

Try to run spybot s&d, nice freeware.

Hmm i'm getting weird ascii code when trying to load pages on the site once in a while, weird.

Could be conectivity issues since i'm downloading something quite big, but...still, weird behavior.

MMO crew migth wanna check the site.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

We are currently experiencing a bit of technical difficulty. I'm not sure what the source is, but we are going to work toward tracking it down.  This is not, as far as I know, virus related.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• QazeQaze Member Posts: 247
    Originally posted by korvass

Funny you should say that, a moment ago when I clicked on a link to a forum post, I also got a file download window pop up...

Yeah that happened to me too. What the hell is going on?

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

Yeah, seems more like a code thing, as if some links you click on are trying to download instead of visit the requested page. Then again, I ain't a programmer :D

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255

Edit: It seems the excessive time I spent writing my post means everything has already been answered by Stradden :P

• DevonsputantDevonsputant Member UncommonPosts: 65

I don't have that problem... but half the time when I click to read something here, I get jargon like this...

Content-Encoding: gzip Vary: Accept-Encoding ‹¬SQoÚ0~&ÿáê—¾,1ÚZ(aÒk‘  .Ó6M{ðÂA²%1uL¡ÿ~qB€&QÔør¶Ïwß}w‰ëZý„QK¤V5å’;¤ÂtTvê˜5Wi†<Ín£½Í¨2?´"‰*©‚)Eð}«bN:o¯+/x¤ÒWÚ_O{Ëç?ý¸=[•ôÙªZ* µ¬Ø2Ûâou¤YÇïñ‹ËY+?Þ|

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Devonsputant

I don't have that problem... but half the time when I click to read something here, I get jargon like this...

Content-Encoding: gzip Vary: Accept-Encoding ‹¬SQoÚ0~&ÿáê—¾,1ÚZ(aÒk‘  .Ó6M{ðÂA²%1uL¡ÿ~qB€&QÔør¶Ïwß}w‰ëZý„QK¤V5å’;¤ÂtTvê˜5Wi†<Ín£½Í¨2?´"‰*©‚)Eð}«bN:o¯+/x¤ÒWÚ_O{Ëç?ý¸=[•ôÙªZ* µ¬Ø2Ûâou¤YÇïñ‹ËY+?Þ|

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• mkuczaramkuczara Member Posts: 16

As far as i can see (im software dev) mmorpg.com uses gzip to pack pages sent to the user. Maybe response has bad - formatted header wich leads to strange behaviour.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

yeah, i got that code puke too, but only when using IE.  When using firefox, i do not get this.

another reason to hate microsoft...

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

I keep getting these popup windows when i click on  links anywhere on the site

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• SiwyxxxSiwyxxx Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Scorn_Arkane

I am not sure if it is a virus or not but when I click "Home" something tries to download to my computer but I never accept it. It just started happening a couple hours ago. The only way around this I have found is to just retype mmorpg.com every single time I want to view any topic. Kind of annoying but I enjoy the site.

I have the same problem...

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

• TegamalTegamal Member Posts: 66

I actually can't view anything in this thread after page 1, because of the download pop-up.

If this keeps up, mmorpg.com will no longer be a homepage tab on my system.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Devildog1

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

This is not a virus.  What you are seeing is compressed (GZIP) data.  We saw this the other day, but basically one of our web servers was delivering malformed pages that your browser was unable to decompress, resulting in you seeing the compresed version (garbage).

Is anyone still getting this now?  Unlike the other day I can't seem to replicate it on my end.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Admin

This is not a virus.  What you are seeing is compressed (GZIP) data.  We saw this the other day, but basically one of our web servers was delivering malformed pages that your browser was unable to decompress, resulting in you seeing the compresed version (garbage).
    Is anyone still getting this now?  Unlike the other day I can't seem to replicate it on my end.

Yup.  Seeing about 40% to 50% of the page changes I make.

• CaralthinCaralthin Member Posts: 7

I just received it three times in a row (one click through the link for the homepage and two refreshes).  It's displaying http:/www.mmorpg.com in the address bar without any qualifiers.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Ok, this should be fixed now.  It was one of our 3 web servers that run the site that needed to be restarted.  Please report it if you see this again.

Since this is absolutely not a virus I am going to edit the topic of this thread (we really don't need the panic).  It is caused from some new software we installed on our web servers the other day that appears to randomly knock out page compression on a random web server.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Admin

Ok, this should be fixed now.  It was one of our 3 web servers that run the site that needed to be restarted.  Please report it if you see this again.
    Since this is absolutely not a virus I am going to edit the topic of this thread (we really don't need the panic).  It is caused from some new software we installed on our web servers the other day that appears to randomly knock out page compression on a random web server.
    The "new software" wasn't by Microsoft was it?