Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare MMORPG?

Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Does anyone have any information on this? I know they are makeing one but has anyone heard what it will be based on?

Comments

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

I heard it will be based on World of Warcraft. J/J I dont think anyone knows for sure.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Bioware opened a new studio in austin tx for the mmo.

They hired a bunch of former SWG personnel like Jeff Vogel and others.

They haven't yet announced any IP's or anything else about the game though they had stated in the bioware forums that it was an original IP.  They are using a bunch of middleware from different companies that will hopefully allow them to spend their time building a great game rather than working on things like billing systems etc.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

If they announce a KOTOR MMO.... i would have a nerdgasm

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by severius

Bioware opened a new studio in austin tx for the mmo.
    They hired a bunch of former SWG personnel like Jeff Vogel and others.

You probably mean Richard Vogel.

Jeff currently isn't working for Bioware, and hasn't worked for SWG either.

• we3sterwe3ster Member Posts: 355

I am beginning to wonder if Bioware are creating a new Dungeons and Dragons MMO based on the upcoming 4th edition rules, hence the shroud of secrecy. Its been over 12 months months since Bioware announced they were making an MMO and no-one has got a clue what they are up to................I would like a KOTOR one but would much prefer D&D.

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by ImixZinz

If they announce a KOTOR MMO.... i would have a nerdgasm

I'll second that.  Been watching this for a long while and even though I have information, really, it all amounts to nothing... no one's talkin.. more tight lipped than the mob!  But whatever it is I'm expecting a pretty incredible mmo... so I hope they'll do the LIFETIME membership like lotro did

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• LellLell Member Posts: 45

My money would be on Jade Empire or another IP which they create.

I doubt that you'll see a D&D or KOTOR mmo due to licensing issues. Turbine already has D&D Online, and SOE has SWG. There's too much that you give up when you use some one elses property. Using your own IP gets rid of that problem.

• VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124

Does Bioware actually have the license to make a D&D MMO?

I figure that lies with Turbine right now.

I actually hope it is a KOTR game or a Balder's Gate MMO.

Either one is going to get me excited.

• mmonkeymmonkey Member Posts: 171

I thought I read that Bioware's MMO is based on a fresh IP. Meh, it was months ago, i'll poke around and see if my memory's correct.

• go4brokego4broke Member Posts: 180

I've no idea who is behind it, but there are certainly and awful lot of rumors going around about a KOTOR MMO.  Considering the current state of MMO's and what is coming out in the near future.  I think a KOTOR MMO would be a poor move on Lucasarts part.  But then they aren't releasing games for the PC anymore either so who the heck knows.  All their recent announcements are xbox/ps3 only stuff.  bleh.

• Greek_MattGreek_Matt Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Vallenar

Does Bioware actually have the license to make a D&D MMO?

I figure that lies with Turbine right now.
    I actually hope it is a KOTR game or a Balder's Gate MMO.

Either one is going to get me excited.

Turbine only has the license to use the Eberron I.P. and the D&D 3.5 ruleset... that's why DDO was so heavily focussed on Stormreach and didn't use any of the huge amount of established lore from Forgotten Realms etc. At the time it was Wizards of the Coast's new product so they were hoping DDO would be a good promotional vehicle for it, but it backfired pretty badly.

In light of that WotC may decide that it's worth having another go at the MMO market using their more established and popular Forgotten Realms I.P., and who better to do that than a dev company that has such a proven track record of success with D&D products in the past (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights)?

That's not to say that this is what Bioware necessarily wants to do, just that if they did I can't imagine there'd be any significant legal (or financial) impediments to them doing so.

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

No official announcement has been made yet so everything that you hear is pretty much just rumors. They did mention that it will be a mix of their previous games, so that said it could be a D&D MMO, KOTOR or Mass Effect style of MMO I really don't know.

I do know that Bioware releases quality product and they can nail the Scifi rpgs pretty well and being that all you see now is fantasy MMOs I would really expect a Sci-fi MMO from  Bioware but I guess we'll just wait and see what they decide to do.

I would personally love a Mass Effect type of MMO, I love the story in Mass Effect, I have been reading the novel (i pre ordered it for 360) and I really love how it takes place on our own Solar system, and even though it is Sci-fi it is somewhat believable.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

All we really know is Bio-Ware bought the Simutronics Hero's Blade engine and that is a mmorpg engine. Since the engine is sooo flexible we really dont know what genre it is.

• mrg11545mrg11545 Member Posts: 24

It's bound to be leaked or released to the public within the year.

Names Used - Garfinkel, MGarf, Scripter, Mrg11545 etc..

I Demand another Planetside!
    (Copy and paste this into your sig)

• Well they've licensed Perpetual entertainment's technology as well it would seem... and it would also seem that this is very old news but, it hasn't been mentioned as far as I can tell

http://www.perpetual.com/press/

• mejejawmejejaw Member Posts: 1

Anyone knows how the game progressed ?

• solaris777solaris777 Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by mejejaw

Anyone knows how the game progressed ?
    It is developing since December 2005

and now in a playable form. The devs stated in an interview that they've played it and it was very fun.

also they bought a graphic engine from the game"Hero's Journey" which cut the length of the development time seriously.

also they announced that the game will release in 2009.

• sabiosusabiosu Member UncommonPosts: 33

small update for fueling the debate :

http://lucasartsbioware.com

It redirects to bioware.com

IT's IP address is on bioware's network!!

I'm not crazy!

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: LUCASARTSBIOWARE.COM

Created on: 11-Oct-07

Expires on: 11-Oct-12

Last Updated on: 23-Oct-07

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.BIOWARE.COM

NS2.BIOWARE.COM

-------------------------------

And indeed the lucasartsbioware.com redirects to bioware.com

Was the same way that the title for warhammer online was discovered. At first only the Acrynoms were given out (W.A.R) and the smart people found the registry domain thingy to be "WARHAMMER AGE OF RECKONING".

Just to raise the hype

I made a WHOIS on the domain: http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-addre...tsbioware.com/

• solaris777solaris777 Member Posts: 117

-------------------------------

And indeed the lucasartsbioware.com redirects to bioware.com

Was the same way that the title for warhammer online was discovered. At first only the Acrynoms were given out (W.A.R) and the smart people found the registry domain thingy to be "WARHAMMER AGE OF RECKONING".

Just to raise the hype

Can you give link or more info about this ?

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Check out the forums on the SWG veteran forums or rumour room (in the SWG section) there's a lot of information there. There's good speculation it will be a KOTOR MMO... But as it is, it's still all just speculation.