Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFGame. Should I return to EQ1, or go elsewhere?

VenzenVenzen Member Posts: 6

Any thoughts here?

I left EQ1 over a year ago, and have since got some interest in playing another game.  Is EQ1 worth coming back and starting again, or would those that still play EQ1 recommend another game, with the knowledge that I really enjoyed the early years of EQ1, 1999-2001.

Thanks

Comments

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by Venzen

Any thoughts here?
    I left EQ1 over a year ago, and have since got some interest in playing another game.  Is EQ1 worth coming back and starting again, or would those that still play EQ1 recommend another game, with the knowledge that I really enjoyed the early years of EQ1, 1999-2001.
    Thanks

The reason why I play is because

1) several friends of mine help to level my multiple accounts when I am offline; and

2) I was a guild leader and a lot of people know me so I have a network of friends to group with.

In your case, I am doubtful you will enjoy EQ 1.  I am not saying to not give it a shot on Combine or some other server, but your ability to progress will be severely limited by not finding groups. 

I play very infrequently, and I am barely making progress with friends helping to level my accounts.  I do not regret "returning" to talk with people, but I am not taking my "return" very seriously. 

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• mcmetalmcmetal Member Posts: 7

Honestly, I've tried a few times. It seems every time I return there are less and less people playing.

Basically for the same reason as he said. Lack of friends in EQ = lack of groups which also = lack of fun.

Every time I return I usually come to find myself very disappointed. Without the grouping I found myself wandering around old zones just for nostalgic purposes.

The sad part is..... I have yet to find a game that has perked my interest as much as EQ did back in the old days.  What it really boils down to, there are way too many MMO's now. Back when there was only a few like EQ, UO, and AC there wasn't so much to choose from, so the player bases for all games were a lot larger.

• hidd3nmarin3hidd3nmarin3 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by mcmetal

Honestly, I've tried a few times. It seems every time I return there are less and less people playing.

Basically for the same reason as he said. Lack of friends in EQ = lack of groups which also = lack of fun.

Every time I return I usually come to find myself very disappointed. Without the grouping I found myself wandering around old zones just for nostalgic purposes.

The sad part is..... I have yet to find a game that has perked my interest as much as EQ did back in the old days.  What it really boils down to, there are way too many MMO's now. Back when there was only a few like EQ, UO, and AC there wasn't so much to choose from, so the player bases for all games were a lot larger.

I second your post.  I've tried returning several times also but each time last less and less.  I can't even find a group on my lvl 60 shaman, 80% of the players at lvl 75 and the other 20% are being boxed by there lvl 75 main.  Might have some luck if you start fresh on the combine server, but I can't bring myself to start all over in a game that takes so long.  Now if you could get a group of people who wanted to start playing together and have similar play times and you put together a nice group I think re-starting would be a plausible option.

• VenzenVenzen Member Posts: 6

From what I've been reading, I lot of people who started playing MMORPG with EQ1 and played for many years are finding Vanguard, now that things are getting in order over there, gives them the same sort of feeling EQ1 gave them in the beginning. Apparently, Vanguard still has some issues, but I may give it a shot first.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Stromm seems to still be a relatively healthy server, but other than that, I'd say it is probably time to move on. I know that some people I used to play EQ with " back in the day" are playing Vanguard now, and some are playing EQ2 (which has very little in common with EQ1, as far as gameplay, but can be fun as long as you know that when you start).

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• mcmetalmcmetal Member Posts: 7

From what I've been reading, I lot of people who started playing MMORPG with EQ1 and played for many years are finding Vanguard, now that things are getting in order over there, gives them the same sort of feeling EQ1 gave them in the beginning. Apparently, Vanguard still has some issues, but I may give it a shot first.

I tried vanguard at release. It's a great game. Sigil did a killer job, but I had the same problems when I played. It's very cliqueish it seems like. If someone doesn't know you already, it's hard to make new friends. Maybe it has changed since I played before, if that is the case I would love to give it another shot.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by mcmetal

I tried vanguard at release. It's a great game. Sigil did a killer job, but I had the same problems when I played. It's very cliqueish it seems like. If someone doesn't know you already, it's hard to make new friends. Maybe it has changed since I played before, if that is the case I would love to give it another shot.

DISCLAIMER:  I like Vanguard.  Although I have a station pass, with VG account, the game has been removed from my system because 1) I need space, 2) do not have the time to play, and 3) the game is missing features that are important to me such as a) solo epic Quests, b) character customization, c) fun extras such as fishing, and d) "fun" and accessible raid content.

Nevertheless, this person above me (mcmetal) is right.  It is cliquish, especially as you get to the higher levels you will become group-dependent.  NOW, you could progress going solo, especially as a Necro or Shaman or some other really powerful class.  However, you will not have fun. 

Overall, I am waiting for update 3 and hope things continue to improve. 

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• dstanzlerdstanzler Member Posts: 21

the game has been removed from my system because 1) I need space, 2) do not have the time to play, and 3) the game is missing features that are important to me such as a) solo epic Quests, b) character customization, c) fun extras such as fishing, and d) "fun" and accessible raid content.

But these are also reasons why Vangaurd collapsed, and reasons not to play. Personally, I dont think you will get much out of trying to go back to EQ. You should look forward to a new game or try playing an old school crpg... those never get disappoint because they never change.

• kestorkestor Member Posts: 37

Building a solid friends list is your most important and difficult task in any MMO. And it s even more difficult in a veteran game like Everquest.

Get online every day with 50 friends and you dont even care about goals, bugs or events in the game. This is why i still play AND enjoy Everquest. I always add 1 or 2 new players in my friend list each month since 2000, veteran or not i dont care because i need them.   I usually spent 1/3 of my time online to look for them : talking, helping, grouping with.

Good luck !

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

You will be wasting your money.  Vanguard is NOTHING like EQ.  That was all a marketing tactic made believable because McQuaid put his name on it.

I happen to be in my first month back in EQ after many years away, and I have enjoyed it quite a bit.  There is a lot more to do and see now -- it is finally a game you can enjoy at all levels rather than grinding to the endgame.

Too bad they didn't learn this back when they actually had new subscribers.  Now everyone is beyond epic, and there's no one for a newbie to play with.  This would be even worse if they hadn't made the game more solo-friendly, but I don't want to play by myself all the time.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend (maybe two) who want to do the fresh-start thing too.  I'm hoping we can experience enough of the content as a duo/trio that we don't get too frustrated.

But if you think you will need to make new friends, it's going to be tough.  Before my friend was ready to try, I made a toon on Stromm, the so-called "newbie" server.  Even after joining a newbie friendly guild, I found that there was never anyone my level online who wanted to group.  And that stupid RP/Anon tag doesn't make things any easier.