Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player

SubVIISubVII Member Posts: 3

Today I bought FFXI (for the 360) and now I'm currently downloading the final patches as we speak. This game has been around for some time now so my first question is...

1. Do many people still play the game?

2. Are there VERY IMPORTANT warnings and/or tips I should be aware of?

If you answer this questions there will be a good supply of positive karma coming your way. ; )

Comments

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Originally posted by SubVII

Today I bought FFXI (for the 360) and now I'm currently downloading the final patches as we speak. This game has been around for some time now so my first question is...
    If you answer this questions there will be a good supply of positive karma coming your way. ; )

1. A moderate amount but it is slowly deteriorating due to age. At it's peak I believe it was at around 650,000 total subs and right now is around 400,000.

2. Do not, and I repeat, do not make any enemies in FFXI. You will have a hard time finding a group and it will ruin your experience. Besides that, I hope you have a lot of free time to play because the game requires huge chunks of time to play effectively.

• SubVIISubVII Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the info.  Greatly appreciate it.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by SubVII

Probably at least 400,000 people still play this game.

Save items and sell them at the auction house, preferrably in stacks for items that stack. The NPC merchants buy for very poor prices. (But always check to *buy* from NPCs. Since the recent deflation, they aren't quite screaming bargains all the time, but they're always worth checking)

While you level, you will get items called "Beastmen's Seals" that look kinda of useless. *Hang on to them.* They are used to buy access to instanced fights latter that can be quite lucrative.

Chris Mattern

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

I'm gonna do a bit of a thread ninjaing here, pointless to make another one I guess :)

I'm seriously thinking about buying the game too as I'm a big FF fan (this would be the only FF I missed since the SNES ones) and the price is now a decent bargain for the bundle with 3 expansions even if I decide not to pay further after the free month.

My first question would be, how does the leveling look like? The thing I enjoyed best in WoW was the leveling process in instances, in fact I leveled 3 chars practically solely on repeated PUG instance runs without any questing or (god forbid) mindless mob XP grind. Is something like this possible in FF XI ?

Second question is, how is the healing mechanic implemented? I plan on getting the game for 360, so probably using the controller. I also plan on to roll a white mage to ensure viable and sought after group role. So, is the healing on 360 controls competitive and possible? Any differences from PC for example? I'm an IT freak and in WoW I used tons of customized addons to be a truly professional healer, while still being able to heal above average with normal ui setup, it was not comparable to the results one could get from having custom suited interface for this. So... will I be able to be competitive on 360?

Thanks for any replies :)

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

Originally posted by sanicek

I'm gonna do a bit of a thread ninjaing here, pointless to make another one I guess :)
    I'm seriously thinking about buying the game too as I'm a big FF fan (this would be the only FF I missed since the SNES ones) and the price is now a decent bargain for the bundle with 3 expansions even if I decide not to pay further after the free month.
    My first question would be, how does the leveling look like? The thing I enjoyed best in WoW was the leveling process in instances, in fact I leveled 3 chars practically solely on repeated PUG instance runs without any questing or (god forbid) mindless mob XP grind. Is something like this possible in FF XI ?
    Second question is, how is the healing mechanic implemented? I plan on getting the game for 360, so probably using the controller. I also plan on to roll a white mage to ensure viable and sought after group role. So, is the healing on 360 controls competitive and possible? Any differences from PC for example? I'm an IT freak and in WoW I used tons of customized addons to be a truly professional healer, while still being able to heal above average with normal ui setup, it was not comparable to the results one could get from having custom suited interface for this. So... will I be able to be competitive on 360?
    Thanks for any replies :)

First off, to avoid any conflict, I played this game for about half of a year and eventually hit 75 as a Black Mage then quit for WoW.

As much as I support FFXI, I do NOT recommend starting up now. The game is about 6 years old now and there are some incredibly solid MMO's on the horizon that have cleaned up some of the really big problems that have been plaguing MMO's for quite some time. The leveling can really only be done in groups. There is absolutely no way to solo mobs that are within 10 levels of you without being in a group. This forces you to search for a group for either minutes to sometimes days and then from there you grind with the group for a few hours.

Some big problems that you might notice is that looking for a group can be quite a pain. Unless you are a healer, you will usually spend about 45min-2hrs looking for a group. In this time, some people farm but to be truly available you want to be waiting around in the zone you are searching to group in. A big problem with this is you put your life in the hands of your friends. A lot of players can be stupid and end up getting you killed which drops you down 10% of the EXP of your level. Also, this game takes far longer and far more dedication to get to near or at max level than WoW. I was able to hit 60 in WoW in 5 weeks and then when I started over after expansion, it took me 6.5 weeks to hit 70 from level 1. FFXI took me about 4.5 HARDCORE months.

You will be forced to drop a lot of your social life in order to enjoy the game. A big problem is that you can't minimize unless you get the illegal 3rd party program windower, which doesn't even work that well. This forces you to not only be at your computer and paying attention to your group, but keeps you from reading the net or checking your e-mail.

I had RDM and WHM at level 37 and can say that healing is like WoW in this game but a lot more boring. You will be just using 3 abilities in combat and you are at the edge of your seat barely keeping people alive while trying not to pull aggro with heals. You wont be using any custom interfaces in this game as it is impossible and you definitely wont be customizing your character much. There are no talent points or the like.

Either way, I gave the game a pretty good rating but I would like to steer newcomers away from the game. It wont remind you of FF much besides the music and theme. Get it if you really must but there are far funner games out there and I found more elitists in FFXI than any other.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

So the group play is just mob grind mostly? No interesting bosses or designed encounters? As for social life I dont have any :) I'm your basic prototype of a so called nolifer, no problem spending 20 hours in front of a MMO on my free days :) And I dont plan to start really seriously with big plans on this, more like a filler till AoC/WaR are here as I got really tired of WoW and need something new + am a big FF fan. Healing sounds like fun tho, depending on the rest of the group (a tank the most i guess) is a big part of it. The XP penalty is a bit harsh tho. Thanks for the info!

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

Hes right its a very rough game , I still say give it a try since all games over time ease up on players and once games calm down the company usually makes thing easier ( possibly soloing ). I just play Casual and im content with that since i a law student =(.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

It's always nice to have new players. There is plenty of stories through missions and quests to be done. The only bad thing is for missions, you need to be a certain level to be able to complete them. If you're into story and not just leveling, definitely just be patient with the game. That's one of the reasons I get so into it.

WHM is a great job to start out with for parties. But, it's a pain in the butt to level up solo in the beginning. As with all healing and no attack jobs I guess. Black Mage would probably be a better choice to start out with until you get your subjob. Then level WHM. It would be better for MP and you'd at least start getting some attack spells to help you level faster. I'm on Kujata and if you happen to start up there, this is my character name so just give me a holler there or here if you need any help.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Don't be caught up by false rumors.

This game is very easy to pick up as long you can delicate some time on researches. Learn about the aspect of the game from research before you play will double or triple your progress.

I personnally found this easy to level. From what i got is 1-30 are no more then 1 hour per level. Seeking time is no longer then 30 min. 30-50 are no longer then 2 hour per level and i can get 2 level in 2 hour sometime. 50-75 are ranged 2-5 hours, seeking might take awhile but no longer then 1 hour if you actively forming parties and understand camps areas. 

The differences between a quiter and a success players is "taking initative" ,"research" and "leadership".

Its basically same thing you need to be success in reality, as you need to actively do research and perform leader roles. I can say this game level alot faster then WoW does, but it have way too many requirement (subjobs) however, rewarding in the end,

none

Originally posted by wrongfeifong

This game is very easy to pick up as long you can delicate some time on researches. Learn about the aspect of the game from research before you play will double or triple your progress.
    I personnally found this easy to level. From what i got is 1-30 are no more then 1 hour per level. Seeking time is no longer then 30 min. 30-50 are no longer then 2 hour per level and i can get 2 level in 2 hour sometime. 50-75 are ranged 2-5 hours, seeking might take awhile but no longer then 1 hour if you actively forming parties and understand camps areas. 
    The differences between a quiter and a success players is "taking initative" ,"research" and "leadership".
    Its basically same thing you need to be success in reality, as you need to actively do research and perform leader roles. I can say this game level alot faster then WoW does, but it have way too many requirement (subjobs) however, rewarding in the end,
    Don't believe this guy for a second. I had 75blm, 37rdm, 37whm, 47drk, 10thf and 30war.

1-5 takes about 4 hours and then 5-10 usually takes around 15 total. From there, levels usually take about 5minutes more per level starting at about 1 hour for level 10. I remember taking about 4 hours to go from 29 to 30 for my first and second time. The 40's take about 6 hours per level and then it goes to hell from there. From 60-68, each level took me about 8 hours and then 68-72 was fast because I did a BLM leveling party in the tomb which is very effective at about 5 hours per level if you're quick and productive. Don't even start with the high 70's, though. They take about 12~ hours per level and none of this is including dying and waiting for a group. This guy is pulling your leg.

1-5 in 4 hours hope thats a mistype cause 1-5 is easy within 1.5-2 hours, i agree more with wei since hes still playing the game for one , and your just being a downer now; no need to cast a black cloud over our heads.

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

Originally posted by wrongfeifong

Don't believe this guy for a second. I had 75blm, 37rdm, 37whm, 47drk, 10thf and 30war.

1-5 takes about 4 hours and then 5-10 usually takes around 15 total. From there, levels usually take about 5minutes more per level starting at about 1 hour for level 10. I remember taking about 4 hours to go from 29 to 30 for my first and second time. The 40's take about 6 hours per level and then it goes to hell from there. From 60-68, each level took me about 8 hours and then 68-72 was fast because I did a BLM leveling party in the tomb which is very effective at about 5 hours per level if you're quick and productive. Don't even start with the high 70's, though. They take about 12~ hours per level and none of this is including dying and waiting for a group. This guy is pulling your leg.

Okay, if he's pulling a leg, so are you. 1-5 does not even take close to 4 hours. Even if you do nothing but kill low EP's, you'll still hit 5 way before 5 hours. You can get 1-10 in an hour or less easily. 15 hours to get to 10 is just absurd (Unless it's subjobless WHM :p).

How fast you level from the dunes and on depends on your party. That reflects how long it takes to gain exp for your level. I've gotten 3-4 levels in dunes before with one party. It didn't take 12 hours either. 

Aht Urghan makes exping so much easier than before. I've gotten almost 1 level from one party that was I think not even 2 hours. This was at level 63. Fong is not so far from the truth about getting levels. Especially in the Aht Urghan era where you get more exp faster.

They definitely must have changed the exp required to level since I played then. I played back in 2004 and I have videos and SS's of me leveling and I know for a fact that's how long it took me for all classes except WAR and WHM.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

ok, ive played this game for over 2yrs on and off, i have 75rdm 67blu 62drg 54 drk and most everything below that (cept pld/pup/cor) are minimum of 10+ (most 20's or 30's) i basicly have thi game down pretty well. as a newer player it will take you longer to get used to the system and get used to soloing the first 10 lvls or so. a tough mob compare to an even in most cases is very diffrent, as u get higher everything gets way stronger then you, hence making u party basicly after teens.  1 major thing THIS GAME TAKES DETICATION if u have only an hr or so a day to play, just drop it and play somthing else. its very group heavy on almost everything and requires alot of time to build groups and get places at times. it deffnitly wont take u 4 hrs for 5 lvls mabey 1 or 2 tops and mabey 2-3hrs for 5-10. after u have gotten used to how the checking system is and what u can take on at those lvls, doing subs and such will go so much fatser. after that u can ask ppl and ul be doing groups from then on really. you will die alot, and get pissed by the agroing mobs (goblins/orcs..ect) but dont get fed up,(i got pissed easy, especialy because it was one of my first MMOs i really got into. the true test and what fiddles out the ppl who want to play and dont is the DUNES. its at times horrid, but other times, a true ....well experience. id say the biggest things to look out for that u need to do is 1) dont piss ppl off, it will really screw u over if u piss of the wrong ppl and get boned for groups, just be kind even if ppl are asshats back. 2) save those almost useless looking beast coins 3)take breaks after groups, or u will burn yourself out. 4) fin easy NM(noturious monsters) and hunt them once and a while to make some cash. 4) finnaly it may seem duller at lower lvls, but dont worry it gets so much better as u get higher up. The end game is some of the best out there, the way it is set up and how much there is to do, u wont wanna miss it. thats some basis i can give u. i have quit a few months ago, and sadly do miss it. but nowadays i dont seem to have the time. if u have any other specific Q's lemme know, il try and help u best i can. 

Yeah, they cut the TNL after 50 now. Aht Urghan areas gives you exp bonuses as well, plus the exp rings they have for bonus exp.

A lot of things have changed since you last played. I've been playing since NA launch on PC, so yeah, bunches of things changed for the better. Except that BLM's don't get parties anymore from upper 60's to 75. Good thing they can solo and manaburn good still.

Ehh I guess I could be wrong about 1-10. I just remember leveling taking a long period of time in FFXI. I do remember going for a whole day straight to get to level 9 so that's why I said it takes about 15 hours for 1-10, because that was my third time doing 1-10 and it still took me a long period of time. I was also including the fact that I doubt you'll just be killing stuff straight for 10 levels. You'll probably adventure a bit and check out the sites. And by the way, it might seem like I attacked the game but I really do like it. I think it has a stronger PvE side than WoW but the PvP is pretty much nonexistent. Either way, good luck with your game and I hope you enjoy it.

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

I've played this game since January 21/04.

I have a 75 NIN,RDM,WHM,RNG and WAR.

I've played WOW very casually, off and on for well over a year. Highest is 54 rogue

In my opinion some of the best things about FFXI are:

1. Parties. Some people don't like the fact that this game is party based. I love it. Parties in this game require coordination of attacks. Everyone has their role to do. The tank, the damage dealers, buffers/debuffers, healers. As melee hit the mob your pt is fighting, they get TP. When their TP reaches 100% they can use one of their WS(weapon skills). The key to a good party is coordinating melee TP amount. When 2 people have 100%, they can use their WS one after the other to cause an elemental based skillchain(if the 2 WS match on the skillchain chart, theres hundreds of combinations).  Skillchains will further damage the enemy with an added elemental attack. Afterwards the BLM or other casters, can cast the appropriate, matching spell related to the skillchain element, and their spell will do extra dmg and have a lower resist rate. Every weapon type in this game(sword, dagger, axe etc..) has their own set of WS. You learn more and more WS as you gain levels in said weapon.

2.   Storyline. This game has some great storylines. Yes, storylines. Plural. Theres the 3 main city mission storylines. The 3(soon to be 4) expansion storylines. The COP(Chains of Promethia expansion), has an epic storyline that isn't easy to finish. They are all told thru exciting cutscenes. Also many quests are told through cutscenes as well. There's just so much to see and learn about.

3. Community. WOW is the only other mmorpg I have played much of and the FFXI community blows it away. I suppose a reason for this are the parties. Alot of the same jerks/immature pre-teens that thrive in a solo based game like WOW, quickly get weeded out of FFXI. People will remember who they are. Once they get on too many peoples bad sides, they'll have a tough time getting parties/help with anything. The FFXI community is much more 'friendlier' than WOW, in my experience.

4. The hardcore factor. With so many dummied down mmorpg's out/beeing released, I love the length of time it takes to accomplish stuff in FFXI. Getting stuff done feels like an accomplishment. Nothing I ever got or did in WOW felt like an accomplishment to me. I like the death penalty. Keeps the fear of death interesting. Makes you sweat and your heart beat when you're near-death.  I like having to spend hours making money so I can afford that nice piece of equipment at the auction house. Makes me feel like i earned it!

Twice i tried quitting FFXI. I didn't like the game any less but I was just trying to kick my addiction. That's when i picked up WOW. It hasn't helped obviously lol. WOW is a decent game for a casual gamer. Everything just comes so easy. FFXI is so much deeper and complex with many more tasks to complete/things to do.

Some people don't like FFXI because of the length of time it takes to accomplish anything. That's what games like WOW are out there for. But if you have the patience and want a truly deep, immersive, epic, time consuming  mmorpg experience, give FFXI a try.

• SubVIISubVII Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the info guys.

I say just go with your gut , the game is fun in whatever manner you let it be if you look at it like its a job than its no longer a game its work, sure its frustrating to die in the game and it takes awhile to get levels but its a game. They are  meant to be enjoyed and true to final fantasy to tell a story which makes it that much better so in short just go with your opinion we can deface and defend the game all we want but if you wanted to play it or try it before you posted this you still should cause your curious thats enough reason to be a worthwil investment.