Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot: Bioware MMO is KoTOR 3

teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Well, the Rumor that Bioware's new MMO under development is based in the Star Wars KoTOR universe just gained some more credibility. Gamespot is reporting that they have word from Primotech, a company apparentely close to Bioware, that Bioware has confirmed to them that the new MMO is indeed KoTOR-based.

Check out the story!

Comments

• KassiahKassiah Member Posts: 70

Sign me up!  Just finished playing KOTOR 2 through again.

• bomber009bomber009 Member Posts: 21

And for the bad news, EA bought Bioware therefore the game will not be worth throwing a penny at or even scoffing at.  So much for a game that may have had a slim chance of being worth playing.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by bomber009

And for the bad news, EA bought Bioware therefore the game will not be worth throwing a penny at or even scoffing at.  So much for a game that may have had a slim chance of being worth playing.

I concur completely.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

And Gamespot joins the rumor monger bandwagon, citing the same unfounded article that others claim as their "proof".

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yeah I was pretty interested in Bioware's MMO simply b/c it was being made by Bioware, but if it is indeed based in the KoTOR universe that would sweeten the deal 100 fold.

It'd be very interesting to see how they would do it though. I mean, KoTOR was basically NWN w/ a Star Wars skin, and I really don't think that would translate well at all to an MMO. Yeah, I know that back in the day people played persistent-world mods of NWN, but that was back in the day before any "modern" MMO's were out and people could see what could really be done w/ MMOG's.

• methulahmethulah Member Posts: 236

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEE!! From the developer posts we've seen so far, this looks like it will indeed be Lord of the World of Star Wars Online, except with some Bioflair. I'm not convinced by the rumour, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I initially had high hopes for this game - then they announced details.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by teddyboy420

Yeah I was pretty interested in Bioware's MMO simply b/c it was being made by Bioware, but if it is indeed based in the KoTOR universe that would sweeten the deal 100 fold.
    It'd be very interesting to see how they would do it though. I mean, KoTOR was basically NWN w/ a Star Wars skin, and I really don't think that would translate well at all to an MMO. Yeah, I know that back in the day people played persistent-world mods of NWN, but that was back in the day before any "modern" MMO's were out and people could see what could really be done w/ MMOG's.

And Warcraft a real time strategy game didnt translate well into an MMORPG?

Originally posted by tkreep

You misunderstand me. I mean the mechanics present in the first two KoTOR games wouldn't work in an MMO, just like the mechanics of the first three Warcraft games didn't work in an MMO and thus they weren't brought over into theMMO.

• deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by tkreep

You misunderstand me. I mean the mechanics present in the first two KoTOR games wouldn't work in an MMO, just like the mechanics of the first three Warcraft games didn't work in an MMO and thus they weren't brought over into theMMO.

Um, forgive me if i too don't understand, but isn't that kindof a moot point?  WoW proved that one style of a game could be successfully modified to fit another.  In WoWs case, RTS to MMO.  Of course the real time strategy elements wouldn't transfer well into the MMO style, doesn't that go without saying?  And so wouldn't the same rules apply for KotOR?  Am i missing something?

• solaris777solaris777 Member Posts: 117

still Lucasarts netiher confirms or deny it.

This means rumours are true

KOTOR online is coming.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I hope it will not be made "console-ready" ... and yet another level/class based mmorpg ...

I just keep dreaming of a pre-cu SWG style Kotor with a new engine :D .... sandboxed, complex economy/crafting, and lot's of social interaction ....

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

KOTOR 1/2 RPG was so freaking linear I couldn't get past 2 hours of playing. Expecting they will do a sandbox is a bigger sci-fi than the whole genre.

REALITY CHECK

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Indo

Originally posted by bomber009

I concur completely.

Then I suppose you must also believe WAR will fail [EA mythic...].  Good job. Great deductive detective work.  Impressed.  Promotions all around.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• MCEscherMCEscher Member Posts: 97

There is absolutely no way that a KOTOR MMO will be made by Bioware - I hate to break it to you. 

Let me explain:

EA just bought BioWare, and will obviously publish the Bioware MMO - this is one of the main reasons they bought BioWare, I'm sure. 

LucasArts publishes ALL major Star Wars titles. 

LucasArts and EA are competitors. 

I work in Intellectual Property.  There is no way Lucas Arts would sell a license agreement to the world's largest game publisher for their only real franchise.  Nada.  No chance in hell.  Maybe with SWG (who published that?), before they knew what the MMO market was worth - but definitely not now with giant like WoW raising the bar for profitability. 

Erase your sigs.

Originally posted by MCEscher

There is absolutely no way that a KOTOR MMO will be made by Bioware - I hate to break it to you. 
    Let me explain:
    EA just bought BioWare, and will obviously publish the Bioware MMO - this is one of the main reasons they bought BioWare, I'm sure. 

LucasArts publishes ALL major Star Wars titles. 

LucasArts and EA are competitors. 

I work in Intellectual Property.  There is no way Lucas Arts would sell a license agreement to the world's largest game publisher for their only real franchise.  Nada.  No chance in hell.  Maybe with SWG (who published that?), before they knew what the MMO market was worth - but definitely not now with giant like WoW raising the bar for profitability. 
    Erase your sigs.

i answered you: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/152633

now, get a life.

• jor8888jor8888 Member Posts: 378

& those who dont like EA we wont miss u lol.

The amount that you fanbois do not understand this is amazing.  It's like you studied really hard in a class devoted to teaching you how NOT to understand it. 

LucasArts publishes games.  They license games to DEVELOPERS, and then PUBLISH the GAME (this is the "Compact Disk" you get in the pretty box) They make money not only off of their IP, but also by PHYSICALLY SELLING THE GAME. 

Why in the world would they sell this IP to a developer who just got bought by the world's largest game developer?  You think Bioware is just that awesome that they'd take a 50% profit cut on a game that would be a guaranteed best-seller anyway, because of all the fanbois out there? 

Further, Bioware HAD the rights to make SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.  VERY different than having the right to make an MMO, and even then LucasArts PUBLISHED THE GAMES.

You may notice that certain words are capitalized for emphasis.  This is to help you understand.

kthxbai.

The amount that you fanbois do not understand this is amazing.  It's like you studied really hard in a class devoted to teaching you how NOT to understand it. 

LucasArts publishes games.  They license games to DEVELOPERS, and then PUBLISH the GAME (this is the "Compact Disk" you get in the pretty box) They make money not only off of their IP, but also by PHYSICALLY SELLING THE GAME. 

Why in the world would they sell this IP to a developer who just got bought by the world's largest game developer?  You think Bioware is just that awesome that they'd take a 50% profit cut on a game that would be a guaranteed best-seller anyway, because of all the fanbois out there? 

Further, Bioware HAD the rights to make SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.  VERY different than having the right to make an MMO, and even then LucasArts PUBLISHED THE GAMES.

You may notice that certain words are capitalized for emphasis.  This is to help you understand.

kthxbai.
    For all your work trying to prove how much you know about IP "selling" (as you put it) you sure do come off pretty uninformed.

IF, and that's a big IF, LucasArts licensed the Star Wars IP to BioWare for an MMO it was LONG before EA purchased BioWare. So LA didn't have to license the Star Wars IP to EA, which I agree they'd never do in a million years, rather they licensed it to BioWare. And since BioWare was bought by EA AFTER the license was sold there isn't a damn thing LA can do about it.

So again, IF the new BioWare MMO is indeed Star Wars based then it may now be published, at least in part, by EA.

Wrong again, buddy. 

Let me explain further:

When you sign these licensing agreements, they cover every possible contingency and every way you could conceivably screw them over.  Lucas Arts undoubtedly has a hotshot legal team and writes some solid licensing agreements. 

You really think that licensing agreement wouldn't cover WHO WOULD PUBLISH THE GAME?  I'm positive that all of the developers who have bought Star Wars IP also signed a contract to publish with Lucas Arts - why else do you think Lucas Arts PUBLISHES all of these Star Wars games? 

During Due Diligence - the phase before you buy a company in which you look at everything they have but would normally keep secret - EA would have seen that they had signed a contract to let LucasArts publish the game.  EA still bought them, so clearly this is not the case. 

Sorry to crush your wittle hopes and dweams.

WE will see it man.

and remember this post:

this game will be KOTOR MMORPG.

kthxbai.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong again, buddy. 

Let me explain further:

When you sign these licensing agreements, they cover every possible contingency and every way you could conceivably screw them over.  Lucas Arts undoubtedly has a hotshot legal team and writes some solid licensing agreements. 

You really think that licensing agreement wouldn't cover WHO WOULD PUBLISH THE GAME?  I'm positive that all of the developers who have bought Star Wars IP also signed a contract to publish with Lucas Arts - why else do you think Lucas Arts PUBLISHES all of these Star Wars games? 

During Due Diligence - the phase before you buy a company in which you look at everything they have but would normally keep secret - EA would have seen that they had signed a contract to let LucasArts publish the game.  EA still bought them, so clearly this is not the case. 

Sorry to crush your wittle hopes and dweams.

OMG guess what buddy? You were WRONG. It was announced this morning that Bioware and LucasArts had entered an agreement to have BioWare make a game based on a LucasArts IP!!! It hasn't been said that the game is a KoTOR MMO, or any other type of game, but EA owned Bioware IS making something w/ LucasArts. The game will be published by Bioware and LA, but it's still being made :P So, here's your hat, get to eating it buddy.

Sorry to crush your epeen, oh and certain words were capitalized and in bold to help you understand them

here's a link to the story

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

kthxbai.

Because the contractual agreements were signed BEFORE EA bought Bioware DUUUURRRR!
    Guess what? EA can't do squat about it eaither because those signed contracts are by LAW Binding, therefore, if Bioware and LA want to continue making their game, they can, and EA has to keep their hands off. I would suggest you read up on copyright and licensing laws before making dumb comments, you just got owned by not one but three people in this thread already because of your ignorance.