Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Server to Kunark, Velious, Luclin, or PoP? (Poll)

truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

We know there is a large demand for a classic server.  Actually, I think there is a huge demand.  Please comment how you would like to release each expansion as well.  It could be as simply as a new progression server but releasing the expansions with timers.

My suggestion:

Classic: 5 months.

Kunark5 months.

Velious: 1 year.

Luclin:    Permanent.

-----
WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

Comments

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

The majority, thus far, would like the new server to include but end at Velious.  I voted for Luclin, but I would be perfectly happy to stay in Velious. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about PoP? [Seems useless to ask since no one voted "other."]

Anyone have any thoughts about the way to release expansions?  I think most (all?) of us think that releasing expansions based on progress is a bad idea.  Most of us, I think, want to really enjoy the classic game again.  The Kunark expansion, again.  The velious expansion.  We do not want the next expansion to be released in a way that is too fast and prevents us from thoroughly enjoying it. 

-----

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Luclin is fine.

PoP == PoS

Don't need progression.

Can start as fully loaded to Luclin.

I would pay-to-play (although I think a smaller monthly rate would be in order).

But, I don't think SoE will do this until the last gasp.

Would not trust them to keep it running for any significant length of time.

Oh well.

• JKJKJKJK Member Posts: 41

i voted luclin. i still think luclin was a very, very good expansion and was still apart of the "classic eq" days.

• dstanzlerdstanzler Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by JKJK

i voted luclin. i still think luclin was a very, very good expansion and was still apart of the "classic eq" days.

I agree completely. Ahh now you have me all nostalgic for the OT and LOIO and Sirens Grotto.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

If they had not introduced auction houses it would have been fine but for the good of commerce and the player economy as well as the social aspects of it I think Velious is where it should stop.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

1 year each expansion, are you play playing the game for another 4 years?

Originally posted by nomadian

1 year each expansion, are you play playing the game for another 4 years?

Yes.  It would also preclude the need for SOE to have to release expansions for this server.  In other words, it is an endurable, viable server for at least 4 years and beyond. 

-----

• HonosHonos Member Posts: 93

Including, but not more then, Velious is my vote.  I consider Classic/Kunark/Velious as the golden age for Everquest.  The expansions from Luclin and onward didn't appeal to me.  Sure they had some nice features, but the negatives didn't make up for the positives. 

If I was ever to come back to Everquest (and I likely would) it would have to be a "golden age" server.

Past: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG, WoW, LotR, VG, WAR, GW, GW2, Rift
    Present: The Elder Scrolls Online
    Future: Everquest Next

Originally posted by Honos

Including, but not more then, Velious is my vote.  I consider Classic/Kunark/Velious as the golden age for Everquest.  The expansions from Luclin and onward didn't appeal to me.  Sure they had some nice features, but the negatives didn't make up for the positives. 
    If I was ever to come back to Everquest (and I likely would) it would have to be a "golden age" server.
    Would you want it to be a progression to include but end at Velious or have the server start at Classic, Kunark, and Velious?

The community seems somewhat divided on this issue: 

a)  Start at Classic then progress (every year or so) to Kunark and Velious; or

b)  Start at Classic, Kunark, and Velious?

So far a majority seems to want to end at Velious, but the question then is where to start?

-----

• HonosHonos Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by truenorthbg

Would you want it to be a progression to include but end at Velious or have the server start at Classic, Kunark, and Velious?

The community seems somewhat divided on this issue: 
    a)  Start at Classic then progress (every year or so) to Kunark and Velious; or
    b)  Start at Classic, Kunark, and Velious?

So far a majority seems to want to end at Velious, but the question then is where to start?
    As for this question... I do not care.  Either way works for me.  If I had to vote, I suppose a progession.  I just want a server just of classic/kunark/velious.

Past: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG, WoW, LotR, VG, WAR, GW, GW2, Rift
    Present: The Elder Scrolls Online
    Future: Everquest Next

Yes.  Let's be clear, that our concept of "progression" is a fixed timer of at least a release every year.

-----

• midgey555midgey555 Member Posts: 185

I would like it to go up to velious, the only expansion I liked after that was Ldon

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I voted Velious, starting from the assumption that I'd want to play on said server. I wouldn't mind other expansions being retuned and added, though. Notably, I'd like to see Legacy of Ykesha added, maybe with an option to turn off the extra features for people who don't want them. (Sorry, folks, I like maps. I like them a whole lot. ) Legacy of Ykesha has relatively few zones that would be aimed mostly at the high end of a Classic server, with some drops that would be reasonable for Velious era, and some fun/cool encounters (instant spawn named, the triggered Innoruuk fight in Nadox, etc.)

So... Velious + LoY... and maybe LDoN at some point.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

I would be in favor of having maps in automatically, without LoY.

Would anyone object to maps?  I think when we started on progression servers they had maps.  I was happy to have them.

-----

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Classic EQ server wouldn't work. When they did the progression servers it was insane regarding locations to get get groups and get xp. everything was camped and stayed that way. But in the end classic server wouldnt last. After u kill the main raid encounters whats ther to do? be honest

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

The progression server did so well you would think Sony would see there is money to be made here. Alot, alot of my friend and I would play on a server that stops at Velious ... period. There would be no need for us to play any other MMORPG untill one that comes out just like old EQ with better graphics .. but that isn't happening. Sony sell the rights for a classic server or make server options out there!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

I'm curious about something and this thread is as good a place as any to ask it. Why are people seemingly so obsessed with the early days of EverQuest? I don't understand it.

I played EQ from launch all the way through Ykesha, then I ultimately quit, just because I was tired of the insane grind that the game had. Progress was agonizingly slow, and getting around, at least until the Plane of Knowledge went in, was a monumental pain in the ass. It's the whole reason I ever rolled a Druid at all. At least then, I could heal my hunting partner, and we could get around faster via SOW and my ports.

But I keep seeing people holding up the early expansions of the game as some sort of mystical Shangri-La, and it boggles my mind. Sure, those early expansions had their moments of fun, but there was also a lot of tedium and grinding associated with the early days of EQ as well.

I can't help but wonder if there's not a lot of misplaced nostaliga, where people are willingly overlooking the boring, mind-numbing aspects of EQ from back then and glossing over all of it because they want those "first love" feelings they had for a game back again.

I just don't understand the desire to travel that far back in time. Someone please explain this to me.

By the way, I should perhaps note that I am having a blast on Combine Server.  I basically group with the same people but it is very fun.

I had to give up on my monk and shaman duo.  I just got burnt out, even with people helping me.  It requires way too much work.

Nevertheless, the gaming has been fun.  It is somewhat surprising to see level 20s running around the noobie areas as well.

-----

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Lidane

I'm curious about something and this thread is as good a place as any to ask it. Why are people seemingly so obsessed with the early days of EverQuest? I don't understand it.
    I played EQ from launch all the way through Ykesha, then I ultimately quit, just because I was tired of the insane grind that the game had. Progress was agonizingly slow, and getting around, at least until the Plane of Knowledge went in, was a monumental pain in the ass. It's the whole reason I ever rolled a Druid at all. At least then, I could heal my hunting partner, and we could get around faster via SOW and my ports.
    But I keep seeing people holding up the early expansions of the game as some sort of mystical Shangri-La, and it boggles my mind. Sure, those early expansions had their moments of fun, but there was also a lot of tedium and grinding associated with the early days of EQ as well.
    I can't help but wonder if there's not a lot of misplaced nostaliga, where people are willingly overlooking the boring, mind-numbing aspects of EQ from back then and glossing over all of it because they want those "first love" feelings they had for a game back again.
    I just don't understand the desire to travel that far back in time. Someone please explain this to me.

I kind of agree with you-- I really prefer the "new EQ" over the good old/bad old days, but it is pretty clear that a lot of people want to go back to the old game, the way it was. I think there's a combination of missing all the places they used to go and sheer disappointment in terms of not being able to find a newer game that has the feel and features they loved so much in EQ1. It's pretty clear that people loved the early days of the Progression server, so it seems they really DID like all those aspects that you and I thought were tedious and awful.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Originally posted by neschria

I kind of agree with you-- I really prefer the "new EQ" over the good old/bad old days, but it is pretty clear that a lot of people want to go back to the old game, the way it was. I think there's a combination of missing all the places they used to go and sheer disappointment in terms of not being able to find a newer game that has the feel and features they loved so much in EQ1. It's pretty clear that people loved the early days of the Progression server, so it seems they really DID like all those aspects that you and I thought were tedious and awful.

There's just one problem, though-- you can never go back to that game. It's gone, since time only moves forward. I suppose that people could have that game again for themselves by only reinstalling those expansions and ignoring the rest, but I honestly don't see SOE creating servers that only have the game up to Luclin and nothing after it. They offered Progression as a compromise, and I think it's about as close as they'll ever get to a Classic server.

I can understand wanting those old nostalgic feelings back. I'll admit I do miss exploring Kunark. Thankfully, EQ2's about to bring it back to me with their next expansion, so I'm willing to wait.  For me, that's the best compromise-- I get to see the zones I miss again, but with the newer features and faster travel I enjoy. 

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Personally, I'm not one of these people wanting a classic server. I've done that, and I know how the game has inevitably aged both in terms of gameplay and graphics. However, I can understand the early appeal. I mean Pre-Pop and maybe Luclin there was a more distinct fantasy style to the game, dungeons were more of an emphasis in the game, the feeling of adventure was stronger, arguably promoting a stronger feeling of community as places like EC tunnel was popular. It basically had characteristics that with Luclin and PoP and on were diluted or altered.

There is no doubt it could be frustrating and it could be very tedious but there was a kind of unique game appeal. (Well maybe not quite unique as I'm sure part of that appeal lies in the fact it felt much more like a rpg than many mmorpgs that have come since.) So I know why it was special to many people and I also do know that I wouldn't do it again, but I am sure that it can be replicated if mmos manage to insert the 'rpg' element of games like Morrowind or Oblivion back into mmorpgs at the same time as toning down some of these exasperating elements we are too familiar with Everquest and mmos in general.

By the way the "first love" thing I dismiss as rubbish. You don't have first love with films, or books or with game types such as fps', rts'. But you can get tired of the mechanics of mmos.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by neschria

There's just one problem, though-- you can never go back to that game. It's gone, since time only moves forward. I suppose that people could have that game again for themselves by only reinstalling those expansions and ignoring the rest, but I honestly don't see SOE creating servers that only have the game up to Luclin and nothing after it. They offered Progression as a compromise, and I think it's about as close as they'll ever get to a Classic server.

I can understand wanting those old nostalgic feelings back. I'll admit I do miss exploring Kunark. Thankfully, EQ2's about to bring it back to me with their next expansion, so I'm willing to wait.  For me, that's the best compromise-- I get to see the zones I miss again, but with the newer features and faster travel I enjoy. 

But you can go back to that game, thats why people are asking for a classic server.  When the progression servers came out they were a HUGE hit, it brought many players back to the game.  If SOE were smart they would see this and take advantage of it.  I played the progression servers until PoP was released but then like many many others who were playing I quit after that.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Originally posted by dreamer05

I played the progression servers until PoP was released but then like many many others who were playing I quit after that.

That's just it. though. You can have as many Progression servers as you'd like, but as long as people keep quitting after a certain expansion,  the less likely SOE will offer anything more than that original server. If anything, they'll look at the folks who quit and just write the rest off.

There's really nothing to look forward to once folks quit after their favored expansion  has been unlocked.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Luclin, with LDoN and LoY enabled. Also, PoK. :) That would friggin rock.

Originally posted by brostyn

Luclin, with LDoN and LoY enabled. Also, PoK. :) That would friggin rock.
    Totally agree. 

-----