Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PotBS - Why I think it will succeed

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I have been following and reading a lot of info on PotBS and I think for all new 08 releases it is one mmo that will succeed.

* It is based on real world locations using real world nations.  No new lore needs to be created and I have been waiting for a game where I can play an actual country. 

* Its not fantasy and even though I am a fantasy fanboy at heart I am getting tired of elves, dwarves etc. 

* Combat is ship based and besides some poor Korean games out there.  We have been waiting for a big release that has vessel combat on a large scale.  EvE is the only other game I can think of with this.

* Player based economy, PvP over ports, a kind of end game, playing for a nation, craft buildings and there are parrots. What else can I say?

If you are going to play this game or not.  It is the biggest one out there offering something besides War, AoC, spellborn and all the other fantasy / scifi releases. Either way it may take some players away from the above but I feel it will attract a whole new player base. 

Anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

It probably will attract a new player base, its so different from anything on the horizon, i dont think it will be as successful as wow purely to the freedom it offers, but it looks like it will do like eve has done get better and better, with enough players keep the game constantly updated, etc

Its to bad mmos are one of those genres you can only really play 1 game at a time to get the most out of it, so many good games coming out though, so have to be really picky about which one to get lol

Although warhammer and age of conan dont really interest me for various reasons. COS i thought was a pvp game for some reason lol turns out it is a pve one but looks interesting so i might have a look into it, i did play wow for 3 years despite liking pvp over pve so who knows :)

I think this one has the most potential though in the long run, would love to see how they expand the game, its probably the only game i have looked forward to this much for a while.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Well, up until the contract with SOE, I Had been seriously following the game, and was ready to play it long term...so, I would have to agree that its potential is quie good.  However, I do think the potential was higher 5 months ago, and that going foward, it could face some stubling blocks.  These include (in no particular oder):

-the serious lack of pr/advertising for the game (I STILL don't see it in most major gaming magazines, or on "most anticipated" lists)

-the fact that it will release in the same year (and perhaps quarter?) as one or two of the most anticiapted mmo's

-the distance from the "pirate fad" that was in full swing in early to mid 07

-stupid people confusing it with the crappy Disney Pirates MMO

-the potential for any issues to be turned into ridiculous SOE conspiracy theories

-the "post Christmas" release....a time when most folks seem to be deep into debt, and deep into the games they just got.

Hopefully, for the FLS crew, none of the above will conspire to mess with the games potential.  They're a good crew, and they deserve a good result.

Oh, but I do have to chuckle at this quote:

Originally posted by chryses

If you are going to play this game or not.  It is the biggest one out there offering something besides War, AoC, spellborn and all the other fantasy / scifi releases. Either way it may take some players away from the above but I feel it will attract a whole new player base. 
    Anyone else feel like this?

...so, it's got the potential to be the biggest mmo out there, AFTER every other major mmo, of course.....lol.  You've basically listed it as 4th or 5th, for the year...not very confidence boosting

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Yea I can see that now.  I was trying to stress that it was a big release that was not a fantasy based mmo, I don't think it will get as many subs as the big 3 but I am fine with that.  It doesn't need 8 million subs and I think Flying Labs would probably freak if they did.  However I can see the player base sticking around and being very loyal like EVE players.

I know there are a lot of mmo's coming out but I will be on this one and still play EVE.  I need 2-3 mmo's to keep me interested and fresh.