Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the deepest, most complicated MMO out?

2»

Comments

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

For F2P Anarchy Online. 

in the end it's either PvP (which is mostly gate camping) or blowing up NPCs.  ... or politics, leadership, economics, or even manufacturing (although I do prefer a much more "hands on" crafting system, Vanguard's craft system is quite good (complex) in that regard, although there are oh so many "petit issues" with that game still).

• StarkStark Member Posts: 119

EVE is hard to learn but Anarchy Online is way more complex. You could play every class in AO to 220 and still not figure everything out. Forget about some tradeskills unless you love math problems.

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Eve wins hands down

Vanguard is 2nd...and only those who know of its depth agree I suppose

I play all ghame

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I've played both AO and Eve and would have to say Eve is more complex. Where AO is more of a Theme Park MMO where the gear and transplants are based on character levels, Eve is a sandbox and more human based. It's the players that dictate what is going on and the prices in the game. I like both games but there is no way the complexion of the strategy in AO even compares to Eve. BTW I'm not playing either right now so I don't come from a fanboi perspective.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Anarchy Online maybe.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

EVE online and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

REALITY CHECK

• AedosenAedosen Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by Alekhin

I've played both AO and Eve and would have to say Eve is more complex. Where AO is more of a Theme Park MMO where the gear and transplants are based on character levels, Eve is a sandbox and more human based. It's the players that dictate what is going on and the prices in the game. I like both games but there is no way the complexion of the strategy in AO even compares to Eve. BTW I'm not playing either right now so I don't come from a fanboi perspective.

Yep played both too and EVE is what I would say also.

My own corp history in EVE Is good example of the complexity imo.

First corp I joined was corp purely based on teaching new players, I mean what other game has corps based on teaching the game ?

My second corp was in a big 0.0 alliance so I got into fleet warfare and trying capture/hold territory. Things people have worked for months or even years can suddenly change hands or just be completely destroyed. Gotta love that

My current corp is mercenary corp. So basically other players pay us to go shoot other people for them.

I have played EVE bit over a year now and I have tried couple other MMO's because of friends and beta invites but every time now after having played EVE those games just feel way too constricted.

Best part is that even though I have played so long I'm still learning new stuff. Eg. today was the first time I flew carrier and used its jump drive, thanks to little event on the test server

What killed my last game (EQ2 great game too though) was that once you got to the raiding game you had basically seen everything there was too see. New raids were nice couple times but soon everything came too much of chore instead of fun. I haven't hit that with EVE yet because players can decide themselfs what the end game for them is.

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

EVE by far, and to the above poster; QFT.

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

Indepth I do not know, but I know Eve certainly is complicated...  It went straight over my head.  I don't think I know what indepth means for a game.  But I would also say Ryzom is somewhere at the top of this complicated/indepth scale...

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

I'm yet to see any game match the depth and complexity of the better MUDs.

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174

#1 ultima online

#2 everquest

#3 eve

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

EvE is definatly complex and deep with a very steep learning curve. It is also almost free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Originally posted by smiley123

#1 ultima online
     #2 everquest
     #3 eve

I gotta go with UO as well.

-------------------------

• Originally posted by Aguy

How could you forget WWII Online?  Biggest learning curve EVER, takes you months to learn all manditory aspects of the game, and you will learn something new every day.
    And I'm not the only one who thinks so: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWII_Online#Steep_learning_curve
    complicated Battlefield Europe (WWII Online) is not. Intricate and deep, most definately. Been playing for three years now, and the rats (Cornered Rat Software) keep making the game better. The current iteration is almost wholly player run, the support is teriffic, and the player base is unmatched.

It requires a lot of patients, especially for beginners, because there is are no mobs or npc's to kill. What or who you kill, or if you're just starting the game who kills you ;) are live humans on the other end. The biggest complaint I hear from noobs is that they cannot find a battle. It's not that they cannot find one, it's the fact they do not know where to look.

there is nothing like a one on one fire fight pitting you against another live human wheter it be in a building or woods; with a rifle, armor, air or ship. The deepness and complexity, if there is such a thing, comes from learning how to out wit you opponent.

give it a try!

• Yeah, eve would be my choice as well.  That being said, I think "deep" and "complicated" are overly broad terms.  When I think of deep as in heavy immersion, well then I don't think of eve.  But when I think of deep as in a long lasting game that you cannot master overnight, then eve definately applies.  Alternatively, eve isn't actually complicated, as the true definition of complicated would suggest.  However, it is very information heavy.  The information in and of itself isn't complicated, but learning all of the information is not for the faint of heart.

• SundiegoSundiego Member Posts: 92

Eve might be TOO complex. Its extremly easy to get lost and the skill building takes a lot of time, litterally. You can get a lot of money however what to do with it seems to be a problem. They are adding new things and it has a good player base. I would say start out as a combat orientated avatar with some ability to do Missions and it will be fine. Mining can get boring quickly.

UO is an old game that frankly should die. A lot of people like it because it was their first however its not complicated since certain professions are almost useless and most skill are useless as well. The Graphics are very very outdated even with the recent upgrade. The servers are close to barren compared to most big games. I played UO for a while too.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Eve and then Anarchy Online.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by gestalt11

It sounds like you may be under the mistaken impression that deep and complicated are related, but the answer is Eve followed by Guild Wars. 

Guild Wars isn't complex at all. It plays itself like WoW. It's "that" user-friendly.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by crunk001

Originally posted by gestalt11
    It sounds like you may be under the mistaken impression that deep and complicated are related, but the answer is Eve followed by Guild Wars. 
    Guild Wars isn't complex at all. It plays itself like WoW. It's "that" user-friendly.

Why necro a thread that's almost 4 years old?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking due to necro.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.