Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why most new MMOs suck

Ok, after playing beta of a game that is coming out in a few weeks, I realized why the new MMORPGs are pretty much garbage. 

The reason is that most new MMORPGs for some reason got the idea that people like to do quests.  So these newer MMOs all have like 5000 quests in every area where there is no point to them other than to say the game has a lot of quests. 

Leveling up by doing quests has to be the stupidest thing ever invented in MMOs.  It is like you are in an area only to do a quest and not for the NPCs that live in that area.  For example, in WoW you would travel to a certain zone to grind 20-30 because of an abundance of quests. 

I think quests only exist in MMOs for stupid players who can't figure out where to grind.  At least games like everquest has a bunch of leveling spots and they were camped either due to the gear, exp, or cash reward. 

So to MMO developers in the future, no, i don't like doing pointless quests for no reason.  They ruin the game if anything.

Also, when the quest system is so stupid that you can only start a quest at one location, why would you put that in a game other than to piss people off?  For example, if there is a quest to rescue people, and you didn't get that quest, but you are in the same zone as them and can rescue them, why shouldnt you be able to do hat quest right there? 

And you need a quest just to do that quest?  It's stupid.  If a quest says you kill 10 spiders, and you've killed 10, why not allow it to be used retroactively

Anyway,  all im advocating is that newer MMos don't include so many idiotic quests that have no point other than exp.  It's a reason im not going to play any of the MMOS released this year

Oh btw, the most annoying thing is that in the game i'm referring to, the exp is so lousy that it isnt possible to level without doing these  quests.  So, you are forced to do pointless quests for exp, what a dumb concept

Comments

• methoddmethodd Member Posts: 32

I think mostly quests are very well connected with the "story", which is why they make so many quests, so you could "stay connected" with the storyline, just a guess though. Also, what would you do in MMO if there weren't any quests? For example I couldn't PvP/Craft or grind on monsters all the time.

So I think quests aren't that bad, but if only your not forced to do them to actually gain experience.

• barhoombarhoom Member UncommonPosts: 29

coz u played EQ ....I find my self in same boat ...any game I play get boring after few months...nothing ever was or will be like classic EQ .

for old memeries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9acBvPaFw

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

Kill x y monsters is clearly connected with the storyline.

The only quests i support are epic quests like in EQ.  Not pointless quests(98% of the quests in any mmo)

I'd rather grind than do pointless quests.  Too bad most new MMOs dont have camps, but rather they send you on pointless quests all over the map to waste your time

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

So, i dislike grinding mobs, it's only for mindless sheep who have nothing better to do than sit behind their screens doing nothing but kill the same hundreds upon hundreds monsters.

Grinding mobs must be the stupidest thing ever done because it's so boring and mind-numbing.

I think grinding mobs is only in the games because people are too stupid to do something other than killing mobs rinse and repeat.

So to mmo developers in the future, please remove grinding mobs it only makes for a worse game if anything.

Now see what i did here?

At least one of your complaints would become void with WAR, i'll let you guess which.

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Surely quest system must be updated to keep players playing...I think other players must play bigger role in quests,even become questgivers sometimes.Still I don't know how to realise that.

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image
  • sfwtboysfwtboy Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by Thekandy

So, i dislike grinding mobs, it's only for mindless sheep who have nothing better to do than sit behind their screens doing nothing but kill the same hundreds upon hundreds monsters.

Grinding mobs must be the stupidest thing ever done because it's so boring and mind-numbing.

I think grinding mobs is only in the games because people are too stupid to do something other than killing mobs rinse and repeat.

So to mmo developers in the future, please remove grinding mobs it only makes for a worse game if anything.

Now see what i did here?

At least one of your complaints would become void with WAR, i'll let you guess which.

I agree 100% i would rather quest over grind any day

Currently Playing:nothing Have Played: WoW GW LoTRO Last Chaos Maple story 2 Moons Lunia Perfect World Archlord Silkroad FFXI EQII Vanguard Age of Conan

Now see what i did here?

Lets face it, my argument applies because most newer MMOs are inserting pointless quests.  And who cares if it is pointless?  Isn't everything you do until you are max level a pointless grind?  Someone is in denial.

Im saying the # of pointless quests should be reduced.  Why should players be burdened with doing pointless quests all the time?  Find a rare spawn and camp it for gear,  do you need a quest to tell you that?  People are stupid

Btw WAR is a WoW clone with different classes.

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Ginkeq
    And you need a quest just to do that quest?  It's stupid.  If a quest says you kill 10 spiders, and you've killed 10, why not allow it to be used retroactively
    I believe WAR is doing just that, If you kill 20 bears and find a guy that asks for bear paws, he will see you already killed 100 bears and give you a reward. (thats the example they used) They have a few cute things they are doing with quests...nothing really new other than that.  You might like what they are doing...

Worth looking into.

~HappyGaming

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

The only quests i support are epic quests like in EQ.  Not pointless quests(98% of the quests in any mmo)

I'd rather grind than do pointless quests.  Too bad most new MMOs dont have camps, but rather they send you on pointless quests all over the map to waste your time

Allthough AoC, is going to have "kill x of y" quests, it's also going to have cool camps of mobs. They're even going to have their own AI. A group of bandits will have scouts, changing shifts, you can even poison their water supply if your stealthy. Also, like I stated elsewhere, Guild Wars has very detailed quests for the most part. Lots of it is stuff like "Get through the caverns and send for help" kind of quests, or "Kill the monster who's been terrorizing us", killing x of y in that game is something you do while doing the quest.

• ChoadSauceChoadSauce Member Posts: 91

So after reading this post I just came up with the greatest idea ever. Why not make an MMO that revolves on doing quests for NPC's AAAANNNDD other players? just for references im going to use WoW.  lets say that you need 40 peices of linen cloth to make a new robe for yourself. you can give someone a quest to get you 40 peices of linen. you tell them how to find it and what to kill for it. once they fulfilled your request they would turn in 40 peices to you and get exp plus vendor prices of the linen. the quests will be determined on what level, class, zone you are in so you dont have the problem of people grinding lowbies quests just to get higher level.

it may be a crappy idea, but the idea of a PLAYER based quest system seems rather pleasureable to me.

_The Sauce Man

Lets face it, my argument applies because most newer MMOs are inserting pointless quests.  And who cares if it is pointless?  Isn't everything you do until you are max level a pointless grind?  Someone is in denial.
    Im saying the # of pointless quests should be reduced.  Why should players be burdened with doing pointless quests all the time?  Find a rare spawn and camp it for gear,  do you need a quest to tell you that?  People are stupid

It ain't pointless if you enjoy doing it i'll say, and actually it would be WoW that clones Warhammer (not the mmo, but the concept, looks and what have you), you might want to read up on that if you can find the time for it.

And how is it the saying goes, pot calling kettle black?

Originally posted by Cathalaode

Allthough AoC, is going to have "kill x of y" quests, it's also going to have cool camps of mobs. They're even going to have their own AI. A group of bandits will have scouts, changing shifts, you can even poison their water supply if your stealthy. Also, like I stated elsewhere, Guild Wars has very detailed quests for the most part. Lots of it is stuff like "Get through the caverns and send for help" kind of quests, or "Kill the monster who's been terrorizing us", killing x of y in that game is something you do while doing the quest.

That is funny because their other MMO is like "Kill 100 of this unit, kill 6 generals, do all the quests in this zone, get all of item x, bunch of other stupid requirements", and this is all 1 big pointless quest.  Who cares? 

What happened to MMORPGs where you can level in 20 different locations and you don't need a quest giver to tell you where to level? 

I think it is more interesting to explore the map yourself without being told by NPCs.  With newer MMORPGs you arent exploring at all, you are just going where they tell you, which is not exploring because you know what is there once they tell you. 

It is a very boring thing to not be able to discover anything in a new MMORPG.  At least in EQ i didnt know what to do so I traveled the zones looking for good exp areas.  Where is that in new MMORPGS? Gone

@ ChoadSauce

Ryzom had it and from what I heard it was a pretty powerful toolset they let the players use to create content, and Tabula Rasa has plans for a player made Quest system...sometime in the future.

To the OP, seriously...look into WAR they are trying to do a lot of what your talking about.

• scipherneoscipherneo Member Posts: 5

i agree with that statment but i would still like to keep the npcs to......their just so darned cute!lol

The bodys hit the floor at a hard pace, run

It ain't pointless if you enjoy doing it i'll say, and actually it would be WoW that clones Warhammer (not the mmo, but the concept, looks and what have you), you might want to read up on that if you can find the time for it.

And how is it the saying goes, pot calling kettle black?

Lol, people enjoy leveling up in modern MMORPGs?  Where are these people?  Sure WoW had a pretty good quest system but it wasn't really fun to do those quests.  I thought beating MC, BWL, AQ, was more fun than the leveling, and it didn't have some pointless quest sending you there or telling you how to defeat the bosses.

Lol, people enjoy leveling up in modern MMORPGs?  Where are these people?  Sure WoW had a pretty good quest system but it wasn't really fun to do those quests.  I thought beating MC, BWL, AQ, was more fun than the leveling, and it didn't have some pointless quest sending you there or telling you how to defeat the bosses.

Now i did enjoy levelling in both EQ2, WoW and LoTRO, you see i find it enjoyable to progress in whatever way possible to me, and seeing how i haven't got time for raiding i chose levelling as my progression of choice, and actually the quests help me there because i hate doing something in a game without a purpose, be it helping the poor farmer get his land back by killing x mobs or scouting a hostile encampment.

if it weren't for the quests to give some kind of background (how vague it might be) i would have quit levelling a long time ago and played something else.

• ZapaniZapani Member CommonPosts: 23

I agree with topic starter 100%, FORCED QUESTS ARE ANNOYING.

I have came to the conclusion that Ginkeq just does not know how to view a idea through another persons eyes.

Nothing anyone says will change their mind. ^^

Originally posted by korvix

I have came to the conclusion that Ginkeq just does not know how to view a idea through another persons eyes.

How are pointless quests any more meaningful than grinding? 

Forced Quests = No Exploring = Boring & Annoying Leveling System

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Cathalaode

That is funny because their other MMO is like "Kill 100 of this unit, kill 6 generals, do all the quests in this zone, get all of item x, bunch of other stupid requirements", and this is all 1 big pointless quest.  Who cares? 

What happened to MMORPGs where you can level in 20 different locations and you don't need a quest giver to tell you where to level? 

I think it is more interesting to explore the map yourself without being told by NPCs.  With newer MMORPGs you arent exploring at all, you are just going where they tell you, which is not exploring because you know what is there once they tell you. 

It is a very boring thing to not be able to discover anything in a new MMORPG.  At least in EQ i didnt know what to do so I traveled the zones looking for good exp areas.  Where is that in new MMORPGS? Gone

That's where AoC comes in. It's a big set of maps, and you can just kill camps. That is one of their goals in the game.

Originally posted by korvix

How are pointless quests any more meaningful than grinding? 

Forced Quests = No Exploring = Boring & Annoying Leveling System

For YOU maybe...but not for others. I consider myself a power gamer and agree with many of your points, but the simple fact is most people have conflicting ideas of what Fun is.

Heres a little quote I found the other day that sums up a great deal of how people view MMOs.

"One of the problems with MMO websites is that they assume MMO players are "gamers". In my experience, many, maybe most, MMO players I have met aren't particularly interested in computer gaming in general and certainly aren't looking for risk or challenge.

For the last 8 years I've spent around 40+ hours a week in MMOs, along with my girlfriend. That's quite a lot of time, but mostly it just replaces the time we'd previously spent watching tv in the evenings and scavenging thrift shops, garage sales and markets in a 50 mile radius on weekends. All MMOs represent is a rather more interesting screen to watch and a more comfortable, convenient way to collect curios.

Successful MMO gameplay generally replicates other unchallenging interactive activities, such as simple puzzle solving, word-matching, hunting and collecting and so on. It's just something mildly diverting to do while you chat to friends or let your mind wander, like playing cards or pool in the pub or knitting or whittling.

If MMOs want to be truly mass-market, they don't need to be "challenging", nor do they need "risk vs reward". They "just" need to be attractive, entertaining, easy to learn and content-rich. They are competing for the same attention as tv, movies, hobbies, YouTube , MySpace and FaceBook, not free-climbing, dirt-biking or writing a PhD thesis."

-Sorry dont remember who wrote it.

I enjoy exploring, grouping, camping mobs, raiding dungeons all night and making my character the best it can be...but others dont...they like sitting in a town and talking to NPC then going out all over the map and farming differnt mobs. They enjoy the simple tasks of running back and forth...There is no RIGHT or WRONG way of doing things.

Its not that the new games are garbage,  YOU are just not their target player.

Edit: Korvix, i couldn't have said it better myself.

• AlphaCoyoteAlphaCoyote Member UncommonPosts: 53

Well said Korvix.

Their target audience is the dumb skill-less player who can invest a lot of time basically,  I will agree to that.

Just look how watered down WoWs PvE and PvP systems are.   Catering to skill-less newbs who can invest a lot of time