Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why i quit City of Heroes

MaceGriffinMaceGriffin Member Posts: 53

I got bored real qwik.Dont get me wrong the game has a ton of potential but it is just not realized fully.Let me list its good and bad points.

1.Great graphics.The game looks good on a par with anything out there atm.

2.Nice system for tweaking out your powers.Its not too difficult to figure out how to make your powers better.

3.Unique character creation system.Although it seems everyone is named dark something.

4.Side kick system is a standout feature for me. 

5.The xp debt is better than losing a level i suppose.

Now for the bad.

1.What happened to "shortly after launch we will be patching in a PvP arena"?This would have kept me playing to be honest but it seems that cryptic takes their time with new updates.

2.The 1st update was for the players at high levels.Here they are pushing a game for "casual players"and the only new content for anyone below level 20  is costume changes?Wooopededoooooo!!!!

3.What about the public kiosks that worked in beta?Its as if they forgot to enable them at launch.

im sure there is more but this is really all i could think of(im about to come out of warp in eveonline anyways).

For a 1st mmo this one is defitnitley geared towards the 1st time mmo experience.Good game at launch but needs a lot more content to keep a longtime mmo player interested.I truly tried to play this game and WANTED to stick with it but i was just bored with it.I dont mean to insult the game that a few of you may be addicted to but ive played more offline rpg's with waaaayy more content than this one has.

If you are playing CoH as your 1st mmo do yourself a favor and go try some free trials and you will understand that CoH has a bit more work to do.

(throws 2 points of influence at the CoH forums)

Comments

• OtlanoOtlano Member Posts: 139

The first bad point: I heard they are having problems getting the arena to work right and would be pointless to update if it doesn't work.

Second bad point: They did the high end content because people are leveling faster than they expected and the high end content was lacking at the moment kind of like DAoC was.........well okay maybe not that bad. By the way, there was more than just costume changes for lower levels. The mission improvements were for all levels like the lab equipment.

The third I have no idea why they aren't working.

• sirmbsirmb Member Posts: 6

I haven't quit yet but it's a matter of days.

As posted above, this game lacks serious content to keep a long time mmo player. It's reallyl fun at first but after a couple of days , the game hasn't much to offer. It seems to me I'm always doing the same things : fighting, missions (fighting), fighting, TF (fighting). Yea graphics are definatly good and super powers are cool but it lacks many features such as PvP, Crafting and darn! why not new innovative stuff ?! It seems like MMO have been the same for the past 5 years ...

At the end, only Super Heroes fans will stick to this game if Cryptic can't add more content before the next wave of MMO come out.

• -Uriel--Uriel- Member Posts: 1
    I played CoH from launch up until 2 weeks ago and the points sthat you have brought up I totally agree with. this game does have a lot of potential ..but as it stands killing the same mobs over and over with only slight cosmetic changes to tell them apart gets old real fast. I would have quit sooner but I wanted to make sure I gave the game a good chance and didnt leave before I found the real "content". Unless some big changes are made and/or the CoV expansion comes out and brings a whole new dimension to the game I cannot seemyself ever re-subscribing. As was said this is a good "entry point" game for people new to MMPORGS but anyone whose played MMPORGS for any length of time will probably not find much here to keep them interested for very long.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270
    Actually, a lot of longtime players who don't like downtime and tedius stuff love CoH...

Service Guarantees Citizenship!

The Illusion of Choice

• sirmbsirmb Member Posts: 6

If I feel like playing non tedious game, I will switch on a single player one image

Just to let you know I just cancelled it hehe image

• the_travelerthe_traveler Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Otlano
    Second bad point: They did the high end content because people are leveling faster than they expected and the high end content was lacking at the moment kind of like DAoC was.........well okay maybe not that bad. By the way, there was more than just costume changes for lower levels. The mission improvements were for all levels like the lab equipment.

Not true at all.  It was absolutely stated by Devs that they thought there would be MORE level 40s by the time they put this update in, and that's why there is more in the update for 40+ than other levels.

• SkylessSkyless Member Posts: 58

I just canceled my account yesterday. And first I'd like to say that CoH is a fun game. But I don't know that it's got staying power. My main character on virtue is a 41 controller and I just have no urge to level my character to lvl 50.

The only thing I have to look forward to are picking abilities I didn't want in the first place and the Hamidon. And the Hamidon mind you is probably the most boring fight I've ever seen. I can't believe they would consider that piece of junk high end content. The missions were cool, but once you finish them there isn't much to do.

And that's why I canceled. I don't want to level my character to 50 just so I can do what was I doing at 40. PL other people and farm the Hamidon. I may come back when CoV is released, but they'll have to produce more content.

• ravenhawkravenhawk Member Posts: 2
    The information kiosks were disabled during Beta because they were causing unbearable lag.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Skyless

I don't want to level my character to 50 just so I can do what was I doing at 40. PL other people and farm the Hamidon.

LMFAO they were farming Hamidon 2 1/2 weeks after the initial release.. I see that things are still the same.... That speaks volumes about this game.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Originally posted by the_traveler
    Originally posted by Otlano
    Not true at all.  It was absolutely stated by Devs that they thought there would be MORE level 40s by the time they put this update in, and that's why there is more in the update for 40+ than other levels.

Sorry I mistated myself. They were leveling faster during the last beta then the gms thought they would. Instead of making the game wait to add more high level content, they are adding it as a feature update. The biggest complaint at the end of the last beta was there wasn't enough high level content.

• FeverdreamsFeverdreams Member Posts: 6

This is a great little game if you have extra money to spend and just need something sort of breezy and light as "filler" while you wait for another game to be released, as an occasional break from a game you still play, or if you are a person who can only play for short sessions.

But I'd never advise someone to get it and expect it to hold their attention very long. I think it may be a good "summer vacation" type game for a lot of people, and I really do think the company that developed it deserves a lot of credit. They really did a nice job. But when all is said and done, the content is pretty shallow, at least for now.

In the meantime, it's looking like a long summer without any great new games until late fall.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595

Personally I don't see why everyone is complaining about lack of content. I guess content means different things to everyone. I love the combat the lvling up and the fact that I have goals suchs as completing story archs and such. I do admit it could use some more in depth content to find the real content and the story behind it you have to read the mission arcs which I think are awesome. I played SWG before this and the fact that there was literally nothing to do and the combat was utter crap I left. I think this game appeals to gamers who love stuff like Diablo 2. If you were expecting something like everquest i would not expect the game to get that depth of content till CoV. I love the simplicity of the game which I find make it more fun then other MMORPG games.

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

They are adding a PVP ARENA?

THAT will make me come back to this game, for sure. PvP in this game will equal fun without a doubt, and I always liked the PvP arenas in AO ( they seem to be dead now image )

People could really use their imagination with that too. I like the thought of it, hanging out at an arena watching people fight, jumping in to fight yourself from time to time, chatting, having fun, forming fun group fights and stuff.. this could be good.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    They are working on it but having trouble with the coding. Check out the boards for CoH you can find out about a lot of interesting stuff they are planning to add in updates and stuff. I do admit it could use some more stuff. But for 2 months old I thinkt he game rocks.

• the_travelerthe_traveler Member Posts: 76
    I'm still enjoying CoH, but I described it from the start as an MMO mixed with Diablo.  I'm am finding my attention waning, but it's still fun.  Its easy to hop on, play for an hour or two, and hop off which I like (not being a PG'er).  The story arcs are ok, but they aren't stories that really "grab" me.  PvP should definitely add a whole other layer to this game, but I fear for balance issues.  I'm a 30 controller and given what I currently can do, get me in range of a group of guys we're fighting in PvP and the fight is over with 1 flash.  Should be interesting, if I'm still around by then.

• RumpleRumple Member Posts: 9

My interest seems to come and go.  It's most influenced by meeting people I enjoy playing with, and if I meet people who are annoying to play with.

What this tells me, is that while the game is certainly fun on the surface, it doesn't have long term staying power.  I've explored all the Archtypes, but not all the powersets.  I'm probably halfway between a casual and powergamer, so i'd be surprised if there wasn't a large majority of players that either feel like me, or will shortly.

• HelixwolfHelixwolf Member Posts: 345

CoH is a good game, but it lacks content, even with the lastest patch. What is even worse is that alot of people I've heard from in the game (personally) are waiting on WoW to come out, then they're going to leave CoH. They kind of see CoH as something to hold them off until then. I'm going to jet off from Coh myself once WoW is out. I feel that after playing as a 40 blaster and a 28 controller, things seem to REALLY get repetitive.

I think Cryptic really needs to up the content in CoH before WoW and EQII come out, because if they don't, they're going to lose ALOT of business.image

• Mr_MiracleMr_Miracle Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, CoH was fun for about 2 weeks for me before it just got too repetitive.  It was really fun during those 2 weeks tho.  Maybe in a little while when they add other things to do besides repetitive missions I will give it another shot.

Originally posted by Mr_Miracle
    Yeah, CoH was fun for about 2 weeks for me before it just got too repetitive.  It was really fun during those 2 weeks tho.  Maybe in a little while when they add other things to do besides repetitive missions I will give it another shot.

The missions aren't repetitive though or at least not for me. SWG and AO had repetitive because they really had no story content. Missions in CoH do have the story content and even at 27th level I still have to find two missions with the same story. I have completed around 10 story arcs now and that includes the one with Dr. Vahzilok the Vahzilok archvillian himself.

• DigitalburnDigitalburn Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by MaceGriffin

3.What about the public kiosks that worked in beta?Its as if they forgot to enable them at launch.

Poz (a dev) commented on this around launch time. The kiosks were the source for some major lag so they shut them down until they can figure out how to fix them. Just an FYI.
  • maxcorpmaxcorp Member Posts: 8

I like the game. if i hear one more time that there is no storyline, try going on the site, and reading the history of  the game, and about the gangs. mabey then youll realise who the hell your character is kicking the ass of, and find it a bit more interesting. dont call a game crap if you dont know the history! andd as for the high lvls finding it repeditive, i suggest you just wait a bit for CoV. it should have Pvp, crafting, super-group HQ that you make (possibbly design, not quite sure), and tons of other stuff! they are even re-opening portal-corp so you can mabey go to other worlds! the game is fun, espically with the extreem character creation. I H8 SWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like lemonaidimage

• MaceGriffinMaceGriffin Member Posts: 53

Maxcorp i believe that CoH has a ton of potential.It does have a storyline several in fact.But that is ALL it has atm.The so called variety of missions are bogged down by the very fact that they are all the same.This is a problem with most mmo's though not just CoH.

With the way that Cryptic takes their time with new content all the features you mentioned seem like years away.These are things that should have launched with the game if they wanted to keep a decent customer base.With all the games coming out mmo or not it is a very competitive market.

• Rob101Rob101 Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Skyless

I just canceled my account yesterday. And first I'd like to say that CoH is a fun game. But I don't know that it's got staying power. My main character on virtue is a 41 controller and I just have no urge to level my character to lvl 50.
    The only thing I have to look forward to are picking abilities I didn't want in the first place and the Hamidon. And the Hamidon mind you is probably the most boring fight I've ever seen. I can't believe they would consider that piece of junk high end content. The missions were cool, but once you finish them there isn't much to do.
    And that's why I canceled. I don't want to level my character to 50 just so I can do what was I doing at 40. PL other people and farm the Hamidon. I may come back when CoV is released, but they'll have to produce more content.

hmmmmmimage

EXFANBOY!image

• IzemanIzeman Member Posts: 9

Maybe you should consider trying a different class and/or different sets of power.
    Usually MMORPG players love to build up 3-4 different characters.
    Sooner or later you get to max your level and there's not much more to do than to restart with another character. That's true for ANY MMORPG.

• triplechargetriplecharge Member Posts: 6

Agree on all points. However, unlike most MMOs, I didn't leave City of Heroes with a bad taste in my mouth. I just said, "Eh, seen it all, done it all" and went back to playing other things. I may come back for City of Villians, if that turns out to be really good. Or if they put in loads more high-end content. As for now, it's a 2-3 month game, if that. Great for casual players, but not the kind of thing I'd stick with longterm.