Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare MMO FACT: NOT A RUMOR!!!

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Tbh, I would not be interested in anything besides either D&D or KOTOR MMO. *shrug* I mean Jade Empire and Mass Effect and nice games, but nothing that emotionally catches me enough to spent years in their worlds, really. And IMVPO if Bioware really does NOT make a D&D or KOTOR MMO, or any such big IP, I seriously doubt EA will get its investment back, and its likely going the Vanguard-way of "hey we have the new uber game" = small niche game in reality. No, my friends. I cant say what Bioware does, but they better make a KOTOR or D&D - for their own interest. There are enougg generic worlds already. At least I am not interested in anything else these days. If I just get another generic world, I can as well stay in one of the known and proven MMOs.

IF they announce anything but a KOTOR MMO, it will be a black day for me, no matter what, since it means my greatest of all worlds only remains with SOE. Meh. They better dont do this to me. =P

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

It was called Imperium I think.  It was about the world in the future if Rome never fell as a nation.

Everyones talking about Bioware MMO but doesnt anyone know that Square-enix is also making a secret next-gen mmo.  I am interested in the bioware MMO but I am also a square fan and wondering what their mmo going to be about.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Elikal

Tbh, I would not be interested in anything besides either D&D or KOTOR MMO. *shrug* I mean Jade Empire and Mass Effect and nice games, but nothing that emotionally catches me enough to spent years in their worlds, really. And IMVPO if Bioware really does NOT make a D&D or KOTOR MMO, or any such big IP, I seriously doubt EA will get its investment back, and its likely going the Vanguard-way of "hey we have the new uber game" = small niche game in reality. No, my friends. I cant say what Bioware does, but they better make a KOTOR or D&D - for their own interest. There are enougg generic worlds already. At least I am not interested in anything else these days. If I just get another generic world, I can as well stay in one of the known and proven MMOs.
    IF they announce anything but a KOTOR MMO, it will be a black day for me, no matter what, since it means my greatest of all worlds only remains with SOE. Meh. They better dont do this to me. =P
    Amen.  Though I believe the Mass Effect story could become really special and warrant an mmo... we've barely seen much about it.  But I'm all set for the mmo not being Star Wars... just trying to look for signs of hope and have some faith... plus there ARE plenty grounds for speculation and ALL arguments against SW haven't really been solid IMHO.

I didn't know Square-Enix was up to something... keep an ear to the ground... but if BioWare look like I'll be let down I might just join AoC... or keep waiting for something better / a new BETTER Star Wars MMO worthy...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Heres a concept video square enix released awhile ago this year or last year i dont remember of their next mmo MIGHT look like.  They used Final Fantasy 11 style for the tech demo.  The MMO might not be anything to do with Final fantasy but a new title, no one realy knows.  Theres some info about it on ign.com also, nothing much though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If it was a new Star Wars MMO, I am pretty sure we would know by now if Bioware was coming out with it. SWG was released in 2003, which is pretty much a long time ago. And I been hearing  this bioware rumor of their version of SW since 2005 (I believe it was fabricated by a disgruntle user base from SWG due to NGE system). --> In my opinion..

I could be wrong though, but there isnt really any good solid proof on the bioware project for a new Star Wars MMO (even though I would want one as well).

I would put my bet that Bioware would release a MMO version of their infamous Neverwinter Nights due to its fan base. But with this EA news, all things can change now.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by DeaconX

Here's a theory...
    SOE holds the star wars lisence for 3 years at a time... it must be renewed based on performance... it was rumoured that SOE was losing this lisence due to bad performance [poor quality, not enough players/$].... if SOE were given their last 3 years to make money while BioWare creates the new MMO, all parties would have to be quiet about it.
    SWG keeps players there as long as possible, milking it.  BioWare develops the new MMO in time for SOE's contract to end. A new BETTER SW MMO is brought in.
    --- just a theory, though i do remember reading someone at LA say "SW is big enough for two MMO's", wish i had a link now :

There is really only one real hitch to that theory. And that would be SOE agreeing to "take a fall" so to speak, and continue to develop SWG knowing they would be giving the license over to EA/Bioware at the end of three years; thus having to shut SWG down and wasting money on development for nothing. We all know SOE would not spend any money they didn't have to, especially if they knew they were looking at a guaranteed loss.

Now, if SOE played hardball and held LEC to their contract, this would mean SOE would be trying to hold onto their license by improving on SWG to ensure it made enough money not to lose the contract ( which would explain the sudden jump in development/ content/ etc.). Given this scenario ( which is more probable than SOE just rolling over ), then it would require EA/Bioware to develop an mmo at the risk of SOE not losing the contract; thus costing EA millions for a product they would be unable to market.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The big question is will EA keep their hands off this team and let them do their thing.  EA is well known to meddle where medling is a deterrent to a good game.

Only time will tell.   

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Elikal

Bit out of topic. But mate ..hehe ... you are making your own custom banners !

Nice !

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

I would have though Baulders gate would be a more sensible MMO for Bioware, with such a huge market opened up by WoW, if I was in charge of Bioware, it would make perfect sense.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• GabbettGabbett Member Posts: 33

I might be out of my element here but here goes.

Isn't SOE going to to only host/account management/billing sort of stuff for PotBS? The developers (Flying Lab I think) whoever it is is still going to manage the in game details, nerfing/updateing/content/doing all things in game?

Now if Bioware was doing a Star Wars mmo, KotOR/New Jedi Order whatever Star Wars timeline and SOE had the right to host/account management/billing sort of stuff. Wouldn't that kind of keep both parties happy?

We all know that SOE would probably throw a freaking parade to get out from under the abortion of SWG. If SOE were to host the new MMO, they would kind of save face with both the SWG/Bioware MMO by having their hands in both pockets and be able to shutdown SWG more quietly probably within a year of this new mmo.

Now like I said I may be out of my element here, I don't think Bioware has ever hosted an mmo, my above scenerio would..........

SOE pros...

1) Shutting down SWG

2) Hosting this new Star Wars MMO, so still getting paid somehow, probably more money than the current SWG subscriptions.

Bioware pros...

1) Complete control over gameplay.

2) They don't have to worry about hosting/billing sort of stuff.

LA pros..

Everybody make money.

Just a thought so if I am misinformed I will wait for corrections.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Gabbett

Now if Bioware was doing a Star Wars mmo, KotOR/New Jedi Order whatever Star Wars timeline and SOE had the right to host/account management/billing sort of stuff. Wouldn't that kind of keep both parties happy?

Would never happen. The main thing is that Bioware is owned by EA. And EA is a publishing powerhouse, as well as a development company. EA and SOE are direct competitors. If EA was allowed a Star Wars mmo license, the last place they would share any of that with would be SOE. More than likely, they would do just as they do now with UO: host their own servers. Probably left the Mythic guys run the server, if nothing else.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Gabbett

Isn't SOE going to to only host/account management/billing sort of stuff for PotBS? The developers (Flying Lab I think) whoever it is is still going to manage the in game details, nerfing/updateing/content/doing all things in game?

We all know that SOE would probably throw a freaking parade to get out from under the abortion of SWG. If SOE were to host the new MMO, they would kind of save face with both the SWG/Bioware MMO by having their hands in both pockets and be able to shutdown SWG more quietly probably within a year of this new mmo.
    Now like I said I may be out of my element here, I don't think Bioware has ever hosted an mmo, my above scenerio would..........

SOE pros...
    1) Shutting down SWG
    2) Hosting this new Star Wars MMO, so still getting paid somehow, probably more money than the current SWG subscriptions.
    Bioware pros...
    1) Complete control over gameplay.
    2) They don't have to worry about hosting/billing sort of stuff.
    LA pros..
    Everybody make money.

Just a thought so if I am misinformed I will wait for corrections.

Bioware licensed the billing software from Perpetual already, so it looks like they are going to be doing the billing for the game, depending on what happens to Perpetual between now and then.  If it did turn out to be a new Star Wars MMO, having SOE involved, even minimally, is a very bad idea.  SOE doesn't have a very good track record to begin with, and their track record with Star Wars is infinitely worse.  What went wrong with SWG is going to be an albatross around the neck of the next Star Wars MMO, adding SOE to it could have the potential to tank it all together.  SOE's negatives greatly outweigh their pros, especially where the Star Wars license is concerned.

• awsome.wellsawsome.wells Member Posts: 9

it wont be SW - not gunna happen

i hope it's primarily inspired by Baldur's Gate... which IMHO no RPG has ever bettered

I doubt its going to be Star Wars because I think they are going to wait until Star Wars Galaxies is a bit more older and most of all to wait for better technologie in mmo gaming to do a Star Wars MMO justice.

• RhenkarRhenkar Member UncommonPosts: 68

It's going to be Mass Effect or Dragon Age MMO.

Mark my words! =P

Of course, I could be wrong....?

----------------------------
    "Hero of Time! Face me!"

I hope its mass effect

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

If it was a new Star Wars MMO, I am pretty sure we would know by now if Bioware was coming out with it. SWG was released in 2003, which is pretty much a long time ago. And I been hearing  this bioware rumor of their version of SW since 2005 (I believe it was fabricated by a disgruntle user base from SWG due to NGE system). --> In my opinion..
    I could be wrong though, but there isnt really any good solid proof on the bioware project for a new Star Wars MMO (even though I would want one as well).
    I would put my bet that Bioware would release a MMO version of their infamous Neverwinter Nights due to its fan base. But with this EA news, all things can change now.

An MMO version of Neverwinter Nights would literally be a new Dungeons and Dragons Online.  The only difference would be that its setting would be Forgotten Realms.  That would also require the involvement of Hasbro and Atari which was unlikely even before EA bought Bioware.

It's kind of funny.  The licenses that brought Bioware so much fame and glory and made them worth buying for EA...well the very fact that EA has purchased them makes it unlikely Bioware will ever do another Star Wars/ DnD game.  EA just doesn't play well with other publishers.

I still think the MMO will be something completely new (and apparently innovative) not based on any of their existing IPs.  I really want to know more about it...but this deal has left a sour taste in my mouth to the point that I don't know that I'd ever buy another Bioware game.  I'd sooner sign my soul to SOE than ever support EA.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• Imohtep316Imohtep316 Member Posts: 22

if swg 2 / kotor 3 was made........and it was a girl.......i would marry her.....and have sweet passionate love

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by tkreep

I hope its mass effect

Each to his, yeah, but mark my word: if they think anything besides SW or D&D will be able to get them such money they are mistaken. MAss Effect surely is a good game, but only those two IPs would assure the really great numbers of subscribers worth almost $900 millions.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AbstruseAbstruse Member Posts: 22

Facts:

1) BioWare now prefers it own IP's, of which it has three, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

2) Jade Empire has no known lore development beyond the original game, and there are current MMO's with a similar theme.

3) Mass Effect is XB360 exclusive for the forseeable future, and planned to be a trilogy.

4) Dragon Age has received extensive lore development over several years.

Speculation:

I conclude that Bioware's MMO is Dragon Age Online.  SP Dragon Age could be released in 2008 while DAO is being finished and polished for 2009/2010 launch.

• NatoBNatoB Member Posts: 114

Hows EA's and Bioware's relationship currently with Wizards of the Coast? If good, maybe just maybe (holdin thumbs here) we'll get a BALDURS GATE MMO.

It is plausable that it could happen, Baldurs Gate has more than enough lore and side lore to make an mmo. Character development would be awesome. It is not strictly combat based game (Kinda appeals to alot of people). And in my opinion (and a few others) is the best RPG game ever released for the computer.

Just my 2 cents.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy

I found it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh Well
    Whatever
    Nevermind

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Abstruse

Facts:
    1) BioWare now prefers it own IP's, of which it has three, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
    2) Jade Empire has no known lore development beyond the original game, and there are current MMO's with a similar theme.
    3) Mass Effect is XB360 exclusive for the forseeable future, and planned to be a trilogy.
    Speculation:
    I conclude that Bioware's MMO is Dragon Age Online.  SP Dragon Age could be released in 2008 while DAO is being finished and polished for 2009/2010 launch.

This is basically what I have been saying but with one change.  I think Dragon Age is going to be released as a MMO and not a Single Player game.  Or they will somehow combine both a single player campaign and a MMO.  I think that is part of the reason why we haven't heard much about Dragon Age.  For a game that is supposed to release next year where are all the game trailers?  Where are all the interviews and screenshots, etc.  I remember reading about it in one of my gaming magazines around 6+ months ago and that is about it. 

I think the fact that Dragon Age has become tight lipped is because they have turned it into a MMO.

dragonage.bioware.com/

According to the listed awards/hype on Bioware's sight about Dragon age there isn't anything newer then 2004.  That is plenty of time to change the game into a MMO.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Abstruse

Facts:
    Speculation:

The MMO is not Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or anything else completely original from Bioware. For all you people who keep harping that Bioware prefers their own IP's, do a little research. Check out this sheet detailing the IP's that are now wholly owned by EA. The MMO is not one of them. Therefore, it's someone else's IP.

library.corporate-ir.net/library/88/881/88189/items/264618/EAPres.pdf

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

I doubt it is star wars, how can you have 2 mmos out using the same IP even if they are completely different it wouldn't work since they would be competing against each other I doubt the people who own the star wars IP would want that. ( I think it is lucas arts but i am not 100% sure ;p )

Anyway, mass effect isn't a proven IP yet so i doubt they would start work on a mmo based on a IP that people could potentially hate.

Balders gate would be to much like all the other everquest generic fantasy mmos, i pretty sure they said they want to be very different in a keynote.

Never heard of dragon age, although i probably have and the game just escapes my memory :)

Jade empire was a crap game, but who knows they might make a good mmo out of it so i think it might choose that, especially if it was aimed at consoles first pcs after since it is a populer console rpg after all i dont think the pc game version ever did that well.

Personally i think if they make an mmo it will be their own IP since they dont have to many of their own IPs to work with so sounds like a good idea to make a new one specfically aimed at a mmo universe.

Personally I dont really care what the game is based off of, as long as it is nothing at all like any of the mmos we have now.