Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This sounds very familiar... Can anyone say UO?

m1rkom1rko Member Posts: 37

The more I read about this game, the more I become convinced that these guys were hard core UO players back in the day                  (like me).   Many of the concepts are takin straight from UO.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, in my opinion UO was the most fun MMO before they started messing it all up.  For example...

1.  Skill based system-  Can we say no leveling up anyone.  Takin straight from UO... you can even fight guild mates to gain skill.  I can remember regularly sparring guild mates to skill up swords and fencing and magic resist and the rest.  Yea, by fighting tough MOBs it went a little faster, but you didn't have to to gain skill.

2.  PvP anywhere - When UO first came out, you could kill someone anywhere outside of towns (excluding Bucs Den..free for all in that bitch of a town) Running through the crossroads outside of Britain almost meant certain death because of the Dread Lords lurking there.  You could also loot the corpses of killed players, which made banking before running out into the wild very necessary.  I bought I full set of colored plate (before crafters could dye it) and lost it like 10 minutes later cause i got ganked lol.

3. Player Housing - I could be wrong because UO was the first MMO I played, but I am almost positive that it was the first game where one could own a house and a set of vendors at it to sell your wares.  Many guilds also set up "towns" by building their houses on the same island and setting up guild vendors around it.

4. Guild Wars - One of the best aspects of the game imo.  Warring was the reason many people even played UO.  I played on the Atlantic server and was in a guild called Visolara.  It was almost a competition to see how many guilds you were at war with and how many people you could kill.

5. Boats - UO had boats!! Even though you couldn't wage naval warfare like Darkfall is claiming you can do.. but there were still freakin boats you could sail the high seas on.

I really could write so many similarities between these two games... I LOVE IT.  If... no WHEN Darkfall finally comes out, it will be the king of MMOs.  It will not be for the weak.  It will be for people who played UO back when they were freakin 13 and got depressed when they destroyed it and now are even more depressed because any MMO that came out since then can't live up to it.  Honestly, I am totally psyched for DF and will rejoice in the blood of my enemies when it comes out

Disclaimer- Everything written in this post is completely opinionated.  It is solely my opinion and no one else's.  If it is someone else's opinion too then you can rejoice in the blood of my foes also

Comments

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

I loved UO back in the day, if they take stuff from that , thats fine with me.   As far as I know Darkfall is more like an FPS though, theres no "Chance to hit" attribute, you either do or you dont.

• macumbabrmacumbabr Member Posts: 76

so what if they are copying the good things of UO to make a great game? i liked the UO before this lot of useless things they put.

If they make a evolution of old UO i would be more happy than making one more game that is a copy of WOW

IF PUSHED KILLING IS AS EASY AS BREATHING

• m1rkom1rko Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by macumbabr

so what if they are copying the good things of UO to make a great game? i liked the UO before this lot of useless things they put.
    If they make a evolution of old UO i would be more happy than making one more game that is a copy of WOW

Amen to that brother!!!! I loved UO!! I started playing back in 1998 and couldn't get enough of it.  Now I am 22 years old working as a mortgage broker engaged with a kid on the way.  I just hope I can find time to play this game and love it like i loved UO!

• elitexionelitexion Member Posts: 188

i never played uo i started out on ffxi

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Skill based but hopefullly, more complexity than UO a wider range of skills and more complex kingdom mechanics.

Hehe UO was so good though as a starting point you wouldn't complain.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

UO was also the love of my MMO life.   The freedom to do whatever you want.  Gain skill, by using them, and  Loot Those HOES!!!  LoL.. gotta love it.

• NenweyenNenweyen Member Posts: 5

They've said in Faqs/Quotes/Journals that all/most of them are previous gamers of games like that, especially UO. there will be many features from UO, but its not the same. They take the best features from all of those games and their experiences and ferfect them .I wouldnt let your hopes down, it will be GREAT.

• gothgargothgar Member Posts: 87
    That definitly wouldn't be a bad thing IMO, if they stuck with the way UO was about the first two years after release.
  • MachoMMachoM Member Posts: 89

Amen to that...UO was the shit back in the day.  Heh, I started playing in '99 and I was like 12 but once it changed (AoS) I pretty much quit cold turkey.  Nothing has ever compared to UO back in the day

• ShneakyOneShneakyOne Member UncommonPosts: 156

I completely agree. UO was easily THE most skill based MMO ever. The melee was more or less, chance to hit, but who the hell melee'd? xD. 90% of the PvPers were Mages, and nothing beats dumping on someone, while being dumped on, and using 1 of 64 spells to kill them, while those same 64 spells have to keep them alive ;) .

There were plenty of variants in UO, such as Alchy Mages, Alchy Dexers, Mage/Fencing, etc, but it ALL took skill, and the best player would ALWAYS win. Best Team PvP, PVP 1v1 2v2 3v3 1v2 1v3 1v4 etc. Everything always came down to skill, and the player that could handle their repetoire of spells better, won.

If DF is even 50% like UO, I will be ridiculously happy.

• pirate3335pirate3335 Member Posts: 24

The two most beautiful things in Old school UO was that you were always learning and becoming better at the game and that you had a constant fear of dying and losing everything you had on you.  No other game has done that.  I have played just about everything out there for atleast the free trial month, and I always go back to UO.  I actually started UO in 97 but quit right away due to lag, I picked up almost 7yrs later on a free t2a server.  From there I have tried several free servers as well as some of the pay servers.  T2a is my favorite era but the game in general just has something that other games don't.

Thing about UO too was it was hard....and brutal.  So many people quit because they couldnt handle being pked or house looted or whatever.  I'll admit it does suck having that happen to you, but when you are truly successful at the game it is a greater reward.  You are learning to beat a complicated system, and nothing is safely given to you.  After one year of playing the game I finally felt secure and confident.  1 full year.  From there I started to branch off and try new skills and concepts.  To this day I am still learning when I play and have untouched a good handful of skills in the game.  Once again to note that I play on an old t2a free server.

Success in most other games is determined by time you play.  Lets say for every hour of game play you recieve X amount xp and X amount of gold.  In UO you had to exploit areas or targets that you could defeat. 

I know this is a long post but UO, and im hoping darkfall will be the only two games ive ever been passionate about.  My first pk experience:  I was hunting just East of Britian, when I saw a red...I didn't quite understand the game but I knew a red was a bad thing.  I shit you not, my heart started racing and I ran into town.  I thought reds could go into town and i didnt know how to call guards so I ran all the way to a building in the center of town and hid for 10 minutes cause i was so scared of losing the 2k gold i had gotten while hunting.  I have never been that scared before in a game.  Later I learned how to handle reds and it wasnt so scary, however....nothing better than hunting and finding some rare/semi rare item and all of a sudden seeing a red.  Makes my heart race every time.  And it works both ways too, later I became a red and would get a rush every time i even saw a blue.....the hunt, it was great.  No other game did that, ever. 

I think Darkfall is on the right track of filling that void in the market....now if anyone followed wish back in the day, wish made it to 1/2 way through beta and then just cancelled.  So I will remain skeptical until it is released, but boy I am sure crossing my fingers!

• teriklisteriklis Member Posts: 6

They said they were hardcore UO several times and that they were inspired by it.

Asp said in the review that a few things reminded him of UO like the backpack which was total UO style. I loved the UO backpack personally.

If you have to be inspired by a game, it doesn't get any better than old school UO

• Runefruit10Runefruit10 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by m1rko

The more I read about this game, the more I become convinced that these guys were hard core UO players back in the day                  (like me).   Many of the concepts are takin straight from UO.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, in my opinion UO was the most fun MMO before they started messing it all up.  For example...
    1.  Skill based system-  Can we say no leveling up anyone.  Takin straight from UO... you can even fight guild mates to gain skill.  I can remember regularly sparring guild mates to skill up swords and fencing and magic resist and the rest.  Yea, by fighting tough MOBs it went a little faster, but you didn't have to to gain skill.
    2.  PvP anywhere - When UO first came out, you could kill someone anywhere outside of towns (excluding Bucs Den..free for all in that bitch of a town) Running through the crossroads outside of Britain almost meant certain death because of the Dread Lords lurking there.  You could also loot the corpses of killed players, which made banking before running out into the wild very necessary.  I bought I full set of colored plate (before crafters could dye it) and lost it like 10 minutes later cause i got ganked lol.
    3. Player Housing - I could be wrong because UO was the first MMO I played, but I am almost positive that it was the first game where one could own a house and a set of vendors at it to sell your wares.  Many guilds also set up "towns" by building their houses on the same island and setting up guild vendors around it.
    4. Guild Wars - One of the best aspects of the game imo.  Warring was the reason many people even played UO.  I played on the Atlantic server and was in a guild called Visolara.  It was almost a competition to see how many guilds you were at war with and how many people you could kill.
    5. Boats - UO had boats!! Even though you couldn't wage naval warfare like Darkfall is claiming you can do.. but there were still freakin boats you could sail the high seas on.

I really could write so many similarities between these two games... I LOVE IT.  If... no WHEN Darkfall finally comes out, it will be the king of MMOs.  It will not be for the weak.  It will be for people who played UO back when they were freakin 13 and got depressed when they destroyed it and now are even more depressed because any MMO that came out since then can't live up to it.  Honestly, I am totally psyched for DF and will rejoice in the blood of my enemies when it comes out

Disclaimer- Everything written in this post is completely opinionated.  It is solely my opinion and no one else's.  If it is someone else's opinion too then you can rejoice in the blood of my foes also

"Played UO when they were frikian 13!!" I am 13 lol.

Among The Shadows
    http://atsdf.com/

• BriarFoxBriarFox Member Posts: 34

I only played UO for the first couple of years.

The player built and ran towns were my favorite.

The downside is that in my experience the pvp winners were often cheaters who used hacks.  I don't think this will be a problem in Darkfall but it has to be made harder to cheat in a pvp game than a pve game.  UO could have also used some better guild tools which I am sure Darkfall will have.

This could be a good one.

• yami187yami187 Member Posts: 21

yep as long as they keep there promises the game will be really good and worth p2p : ) 1 thing i notice about this dev team if something doesnt work and cant be ballanced or something it will be adjusted and not nerfed at least this is is what i think

the devs seem alot diffrent than most devs

it could be that its the game they have laways wanted to play so they wouldnt lie to them selves XD

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

Heh, let's just hope they don't throw a trammel in this one! XD

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Jo-Gamer

Heh, let's just hope they don't throw a trammel in this one! XD

Pray that EA doesn't get their claws on this then.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell