Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interested

BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

So after quitting SWG  a while back i have played GW, Oblivion,<----Good/ Not so good----> WoW,and CoV, and to tell the truth at points i feel like im in a kindergarten class, hitting the same 10 buttons over and over. Mindless level based garbage imo. virtual babysitter games.

So i guess my questions  would be is this level based or skill? 

What about death penalty? Nothing to it you just walk away? or if you die you suffer some hurt? any pvp?

What about population enough people still play? And are they Rp or the l33t crowd?

How is game play? very many bugs? Present game breaking bugs? i read this game had a shaky launch.

And how bout the company who runs it? do they listen to players concerns and act upon them? 

Do they promptly fix bugs?  Do they radically change the game play every 6 months?

How bout questing? Epic story line quests? Go kill 5 rats and bring back 5 rat tails quests?

I looked around at some websights for some of this info but i cant really rely on it,most is outdated anyways?

So if any1 still plays let me here what you think .

Comments

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

(Dont trust the words I say fully as I'm a noob and it was a while ago since i played.)

So i guess my questions  would be is this level based or skill?[/quote]

It's very complex so I'd say its skill based

What about death penalty? Nothing to it you just walk away? or if you die you suffer some hurt? any pvp?

I belive you lose exp when you die

What about population enough people still play? And are they Rp or the l33t crowd?

I saw alot more people than what i'd expected

How is game play? very many bugs? Present game breaking bugs? i read this game had a shaky launch.

The game engine itself is fairly old and it doesnt matter if you have a high end graphics card. I think the engine mostly runs on the processor and memory.

And how bout the company who runs it? do they listen to players concerns and act upon them? 

Do they promptly fix bugs?  Do they radically change the game play every 6 months?

I belive that they're doing good (I think youre refering to SOE :):))

How bout questing? Epic story line quests? Go kill 5 rats and bring back 5 rat tails quests?

Go to a quest-o-matic, roll some quests and go do em.

(Remember I'm a noob)

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

Greetings,

I have played as a paying person on and off since release. My gamign History is AO, SWG (did the full template pre-cu jedi), and wow.

There are levels in the game yes, and yes they factor into things.  there are items that will require you to have a certain level, BUT when you level up you are awarded points that you spend on stats and skills. Depending on your breed (race) and class some skills are cheaper or more expensive. Yes you are class locked, but it is not that painful (not like wow).

Death is handled well I think, no decay sadly, but when you die any exps that you have gained are removed and placed in a temp pool that you earn back by killing things again. You can save (insure) you xps between missions or huting outdoors. There is also a reduction to your stats that regens over aresonably short time, so you really can not pvp zerg very well. pvp is complex and interesting if you are into that, you can and people do fight over land to build on, or in arena like places for tokens to buy gear.

The population i would say is very viable, we are not talking about 100s of thousands, but it is not a wasteland.  You can and do find all sorts of players in the game, but again to be honest i see a much smaller percentage of ub3r l33t dudez than in WoW. A majority of the players are very helpful too. i have never seen l2p mind sets.  

There are no game killing bugs right now, there have been some in the past but the devs moved rapidly to fix them.  The devs do communicate well, alot better then what we saw in SWG. The most radical game play change occured to me with the launch of the shadowlands expansion, the core mechanics were not changed but that part of the game has much less of a techno feel.

Questing. there are world quests to kill 5 rats, not alot of them. Most of your xp will come from doing what are called missons, there are solo and team missions. the mission layout and goals are variable. team missions give the best loot, but you can reasonably solo the first 200 of 215 levels. It is not a fast grind either, it will take time and you will feel like you did accomplish something as you level up.

Crafting is not as rich as it was inSWG, but it is on par i would say with WoW, you will see more crafting benefits at teh lower levels, except for your implants all implants after level 125 are player made except for the shadow lands ones and they are not as easy to get. . implants are just that things you can put in our avatar and take out to improve either you stats or skills. You also have a character tab for armor, and one for non-armor gear. As you get ready to do things you will want to buff (use programs) both from your self and others.

There are raids in the game too, They are very organized and use a dkp system for the most part on the global raid channels. Guilds of course have each thier own rules about stuff like that.

One of the best things i can suggest is get the free client, play it. you will nto be missing much as most of the pay for play stuff you will see at later levels (for the most part) and all you have to put up with is billboards in the game(i have a free account too and i can say that the billboards ae not that intrusive). If you like the game you can switch over to pay status with not too much fuss (just have to download the full client).

this is still one of the most complicated games out there, hands down. the range of what you can do both on yoru toon and with the game is frankly vast.  I left AO the first time due to shadowlands and the fact SWG was out at that time, when NGE hit my guild left swg and migrated to wow, frankly wow is simplistic compared to AO, that is why i am playing AO again.

I hope that helps you understand better AO.

• tasteetastee Member Posts: 65

level based.. skill base is you need to gain skills to progress ie the more times you forage for something the "better" you get at it.. Ao all you have to do is level and get equipment to raise skills

• PodlagnjidaPodlagnjida Member Posts: 8

AO is a PURE skill based game with some of the items with level reqs for balancing purpose.

Player base is great (at least was great when I was playing 6-7 months ago). A lot of veterans still playing it

Death penalty is loose of xp, loose of all buffs, teleport to last saved location, decrease of all skills and health for about few mins untill you rezz

A lot of pvp if you want but there is just few classes really good in pvp (Aimed shoot mostly). ofc you can make a great twink pvper from almost every class but not for all level ranges tho.

A lot of quests, random mission generator and static dungeons. Lot of raids and unique encounters specially at higher levels and if you want to explore the world, lore, twinking and tradeskills you can spend years on that :)

Many, many ways to improve your skills and your alt without leveling (nano buffs, items, armor, buffing weapons, implants, symbiants ...) but also requires a lot of knowledge and planing

Different ways to move around the world (whompas, grid, fixer grid, flying vehicles, flying spells (nanos), using your guild tower bases or guild city, jumping from SL, teleporting by a team Engineer ...)

The company who runs it is just making Age of Conan. What I heard they are getting better in listening to the player base. No game breaking bugs but in large pvp battles (+80vs80) or large SL raids lag can be huge.