Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

too late?

MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Was looking for something new to play and I was wondering how someone may fare starting new in Lineage 2 today. Due to the pvp would I be too far behind? or is it possible to catch up at some point?

Thanks.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Sorrowho

its not worth it you mostly be alone left to solo until you reach 5x - 6x even then party's can be hard to get depending on your class and clan, not to mention all the bots you have to compete with hunting mobs
    http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77552
    http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78845
    check out perfect world instead, it has aspects from both L2 and WoW http://www.perfectworld.com.my/downloads-client.asp
    you need to register here before you can play http://www.cubizone.com <Mod edit>

Perfect World is awesome. I have few minor bones to pick with it but its a damn good MMO. I loaded it up last weekend and I thought it was time well spent.

I am going to try to hire myself out to translate for these guys lol, I will bring them the magic of....WORD frickin RAP.
    The game has everything, ingame flight, you can carry other players while you fly, you can carry other players period, huge world, a good amount of quest, (although the usual kill task) all kinds of mounts, I mean tons of them, huge variety of armors, the BEST character creation since City of Heroes, PvP, territory control, its gonna have housing once beta is over...on and on...just look it up. www.perfectworld.com.my
    Take a look. Best of all, its free to play (its gonna be an item shop) but it puts most pay to play western games to shame.
    The only real downside I saw (granted I only played 2 evening) Bad translations (some are kinda funny) and there seems to be a slight delay in action queues. When you trigger a special, it seems to take a second. I am playing from Europe so it might just be because of that.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Sorrowho

its not worth it you mostly be alone left to solo until you reach 5x - 6x even then party's can be hard to get depending on your class and clan, not to mention all the bots you have to compete with hunting mobs
    http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77552
    http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78845
    check out perfect world instead, it has aspects from both L2 and WoW http://www.perfectworld.com.my/downloads-client.asp
    you need to register here before you can play http://www.cubizone.com/ <Mod edit>

Perfect World is awesome. I have few minor bones to pick with it but its a damn good MMO. I loaded it up last weekend and I thought it was time well spent.

I am going to try to hire myself out to translate for these guys lol, I will bring them the magic of....WORD frickin RAP.
    The game has everything, ingame flight, you can carry other players while you fly, you can carry other players period, huge world, a good amount of quest, (although the usual kill task) all kinds of mounts, I mean tons of them, huge variety of armors, the BEST character creation since City of Heroes, PvP, territory control, its gonna have housing once beta is over...on and on...just look it up. www.perfectworld.com.my
    Take a look. Best of all, its free to play (its gonna be an item shop) but it puts most pay to play western games to shame.
    The only real downside I saw (granted I only played 2 evening) Bad translations (some are kinda funny) and there seems to be a slight delay in action queues. When you trigger a special, it seems to take a second. I am playing from Europe so it might just be because of that.

Thanks. I had heard that PW was available for beta now and I'll definataly give it a try. I always wondered about some of these game translations and how they ever could consider some of them "passable". Where you could sit down with a 5yr old who speaks english and he would be able to tell you how to fix 90% of the mistakes.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Meltdown

Thanks. I had heard that PW was available for beta now and I'll definataly give it a try. I always wondered about some of these game translations and how they ever could consider some of them "passable". Where you could sit down with a 5yr old who speaks english and he would be able to tell you how to fix 90% of the mistakes.

Well in all fairness, English is a difficult language, especially if you are not a native speaker. I'm sure they tried their best. Probably just as bad if we would try to translate to Chinese.

I live in Europe and (brace yourself) not everyone speaks English. Here, I am the foreigner and I was ignorent when I couldn't speak the language when I first got here and people gave me dirty looks and made rude comments. (I still suck at it , my grammar is terrible and I speak like a caveman but I get by so I can relate) So, sorry if I came across as an English speaking elitist. That wasn't my intention, I was just poking fun.

• RenithRenith Member Posts: 145

If you decide to play this game after reading all the bad aspects of this game, I'd recommend you to start with a group of real life friends or something. Lowbie area's are not very filled so that can become quite boring if you are alone.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I've gotta agree - even though I don't care much for the company running it, L2 seems like a great game once you get the hang of how things work. My advice, if you're still thinking of playing, is to find a good clan to join from the start. Ask around on the official forums (typically in the server forum that you're choosing to play on) and there's usually always a handful of friendly people who are willing to give you a new home. If i can say anything about this game, it's that it has one of the nicest communities I've experienced on an MMO, atleast on Lionna.

As for Perfect World, I've gotta admit; you guys peeked my interest enough for me to take a look but honestly it just looks like another L2 clone with much less variety. From what I could tell, there's only 6 classes in all to choose from? That's a far cry from the 30+ that L2 offers. Sure, quite a few of the classes in L2 are similiar in numerous ways, but it's still a good amount of variety overall, atleast compared to most of the L2 clones that keep popping up. I suppose I shouldn't knock it before I try it, but as for right now, L2 is working wonders for me.

Good luck to you no matter which game you choose ^^.

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Meltdown

Was looking for something new to play and I was wondering how someone may fare starting new in Lineage 2 today. Due to the pvp would I be too far behind? or is it possible to catch up at some point?
    Thanks.
    The issue you have with L2 right from the outset is that it is primarily an MMO and secondly a PVP milieu.

All of the issues with cheating and botting aside, it is theoretically possible to "catch up" because the progression curve in L2 (as in any other MMO) is sort of finite. I say sort of, because once you get to the highest possible level you can then embark upon improving your skills beyond levels originally coded in the game. In L2 terms its called skill overenchanting. You use consumables and your characters XP/SP to do this, in other words you consume your own levels in over enchanting skills. Its fraught with all of the usual dangers of failure, where if you fail your skills reset to the game baseline.

So if you take skill over enchantment into consideration it is unlikely that you will ever catch up to those players who are at the top, have been for at least 1-2 years, and who continue to improve their characters. This is a reality of any MMO and not just L2, but perhaps in L2 it is more pronounced  than in other games due to the PvP focus of the endgame.

Similarly, most high end players will have weapons, armour and jewellery of the highest calibre. Unless you are prepared to e-bay lots of adena, it is unlikely that you will attain the resources to craft these on your own. Certain jewellery can only be raided for if you aim to get it legitimately, again beyond the means of the average player.

In a nutshell, nope after 3 years of L2, you will not catch up to the high end players.

If you are willing to try the game, do it for what the game offers in comparison to its competitors, and do it as part of an organised clan. There are plenty out there recruiting, one only has to spend a bit of time looking.

Good luck with your decision,

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

Eva's Templar

Kain

• ListofListof Member Posts: 155

Well, I recently rerolled on another server. I was shocked at how easy it was to level, how quickly I leveled up and how much money I made (20+ mil by level 20!) I was fortunate enough to start during three really good events (piggies, call to arms, medals) which was what helped me w/ the money. But even w/o those events I was able to make a pretty good amount of money through quests.

Leveling up is a LOT faster now for newbies than it used to be - and it's going to get even faster with the next expansion when they will extend the newbie buffs to level 40. Shadow weapons and clan armor sets allow you to save your money for C-grade and beyond. Quests at the lower levels supply you with shots. Etc.

Another poster was saying that you'll never catch up to the higher level players. Maybe not, but that doesn't mean that you can't be competitive and have fun. Plus, I believe that you can eventually catch up, but that's another post altogether... Anyway, you can start to pvp at any time - on my new character I was able to pvp within the first few hours. You will probably begin to see more competition (sieges, clan halls, etc.) starting in your 50s, albeit not with the major clans. Around 70+ you'll really be able to participate in pretty much everything.

For anyone starting L2 I have 3 suggestions.

1. Play on Bartz - or Teon/Franz if you're Euro. Those three servers are the most populated. While playing on Bartz as a lowbie I was constantly seeing other players, many who were brand-spanking new. The newbie towns such as Gludin are very populated compared to the other servers and I see people out in the fields quite often as well. If you start on one of the middle servers you'll be lucky if you see anybody near the lowbie towns.
    2. Get in a clan/academy that will help you do the clan armor quest. Make friends, find people to party with, build relationships that could lead to a REAL clan after you graduate, etc.
    3. Do levels 1-20 on Talking Island, running all the quests, unless you're a DE (they have some REALLY good money making quests...) I say this partially because the quests on TI are good, partially because you'll see more people there than other newbie villages and mostly because the mobs are condensed and better situated for optimal xp.  

I think it is very possible to start the game now and still be competitive. As I said, I rerolled legit on another server and I did very well. The only advantage I had was my knowledge of the game, I started this new account brand new, no gear, no boxing, nothing. Within just a few weeks I made enough to buy c-grade, leveled 2 characters to 30 and had a blast doing it (all while playing pretty casually.) It may take you a while to catch up to where you can compete but it is possible.

P.S. To the person who said NCsoft is corrupt and only bans legit people - Funny thing is, I'm 100% legit, have played this game since OB and have never been banned. Funnier still - every single person I've known that has been banned has definitely NOT been legit. Only a few idiots go around saying they were legit and banned for no reason. IMO, 85% of those people are lying or were doing something stupid (like sitting in a bot party even tho they weren't botting themselves), the other 15% might be telling the truth. But 15% *might* doesn't qualify NCsoft as corrupt in my book.