Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost resubbed today... then I remembered

After several years off, I looked at  the 2007 box of FFXI at the store today... I was tempted since there is nothing out there like it and nothing like it on the horizon (that I know of).  And, since there is a new expansion coming, the game is still going strong, I guess. 

Then I remembered map quests, the choco quest, sub job quest, limit breaks, doing tele-taxi to pay for those archer's rings...THE PAIN...  I don't know if I could handle it all again, especially since there wouldn't be as many people at lower levels to party with. 

Comments

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by cygnetsong

I don't know if I could handle it all again, especially since there wouldn't be as many people at lower levels to party with. 

There are still quite a few ppl during the low levels to group with, I was in the dunes the other day and there was a t least 6-10 groups and more than 30 other players roaming and seeking.

Still a good amount of ppl that havn't touched the 3 jobs from ToAU and are now, and then this Nov 22nd there will 3 more new jobs so even more ppl will be cycling back through the low lvls again.

Don't let low pop turn you off, there are still quite a few ppl playing and its not that hard to get a PT at all lvl ranges.

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

Valkurm dunes can make you think that leveling a job is still cakewalk. But you'll see after dunes what's the deal.

Because when there's like 100 ppl exping in dunes, there's ~30 at Qufim, less at Kazham etc...

I will only get better again around lvl 65-70.

And yes some stuff is pain in this game. My example ATM:

1) made one stack of Hedgehog pies. Paid like 170k for ingediences. But there's oversupply at AH now, and they sell for less and less. So I have to wait days untill I try to sell them.

2) leveled NIN to 25. Time to get Empress hairpin. Have to camp Valkurm Emperor. FYI

3) Still without LS. Need to find one. But how 

Btw this is nothing to raising fame in all cities. Don't want to repeat it again, ever.

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

If all this is so much of a struggle for you guys, then maybe FFXI wasn't originally for you?  These aspects of the game are supposed to be fun, not agonizing pain... I certainly enjoyed going through all of these things. ^^

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

I think the first idea of those things were to add gameplay time

Well anyway those things were fun because there was company to do them with. Soloing them was making them more of a "Chores that you must do". But I guess that was the case with FF.

Of course I believe also that those things were intersting the first time around when you didn't know what to expect and all, so they were very cool seeing the whole story of the abused choco. Second time around i think they turn to chores rather than fun because there is nothing new to see.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by sa1yaman

Valkurm dunes can make you think that leveling a job is still cakewalk. But you'll see after dunes what's the deal.
    Because when there's like 100 ppl exping in dunes, there's ~30 at Qufim, less at Kazham etc...
    Leveling has its ups and downs in FFXI, yes. But it's a matter of timing and player availability more than anything else.

I got my DRG (arguably one of the less popular pt jobs) from 15 to 60 on one straight run - no down-time.. straight through Qufim, Jungles, Garlaige, CN and so forth... then I decided to take a break from leveling DRG to work on other things. At most I had to wait for a party invite... maybe... a couple times. And even then it was 30 minutes tops.

I will only get better again around lvl 65-70.
    Again... it depends. A friend of mine has been leveling job after job after job... she's had very little down-time, relative to the amount of time she's actually spent in a party. Again... mileage may vary.

And yes some stuff is pain in this game. My example ATM:
    1) made one stack of Hedgehog pies. Paid like 170k for ingediences. But there's oversupply at AH now, and they sell for less and less. So I have to wait days untill I try to sell them.
    That's the player economy at work. If something is a popular item and sells well, people are going to sell them. Sometimes people will craft items to skill up their craft and then put them on AH to try and turn a profit. That's why you don't depend on any one source of income :)
    2) leveled NIN to 25. Time to get Empress hairpin. Have to camp Valkurm Emperor. FYI

Well, it's a great item with great stats. It should be more difficult to get than something with only "meh" stats on it. And besides, now there's the option of doing the BCNM version for the original Emperor Hairpin... no camping a mob and you have probably about the same chance of it dropping.
    3) Still without LS. Need to find one. But how 

I have no problem finding LS's. Either I know enough people from my time in the game who are in good LS's and get me an invite/pearl. However, they're not always going to come to you. Try asking around for a good LS that has what you're looking for. Many FFXI forums have "seeking linkshell" type threads, etc. It's not that hard.
    Btw this is nothing to raising fame in all cities. Don't want to repeat it again, ever.

That's part of the player experience. Ideally, it's being raised as you're playing. When you find you need to raise your fame quickly, there are well-known ways to do so in each of the cities within a short amount of time.. couple days, tops, if you stick to it.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops