Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow, it all just hit me hard

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Ive been playing Eve for about 2 days now, probably around 8 hours both days. The game is seriously appealing to me in every way. I had never seen any videos or really any screens sept like one or two of the game, when I decided to buy a subscritption.  I was having a blast the whole time, making ISK and upgrading my ship, seriously I spent hours just finding the best parts for my ship and equilizing out all my stats, and planning for my next skill choice.

Then out of freakin no where the game hit my like a Ton of bricks.

I accepted a mission that was worth a good 50k, an extra 50k if I completed it within an hour. All my other missions before this point were cake, all at around 20k.

I had spent all day outfitting my new cool looking "Condor" ship, with some nice launchers and shield boosts. I has used up alot of my money too, so I knew this would be a great way to get it all back.

My mission was to destroy a convoy and get the cargo. I set out and made my way to the mission I rushed my way there to get the mission done in the hours time, like I had done for all my previous missions.

I entered an area, with debri from old ships and asteroid, I saw the three convoy ships with about 6 body guards. I thought, "No problem I just killed like 12 little ships in my last mission, this will be cake." I charged up everything I had and BOOM! I attacked the enemy cruiser.

Withing mear seconds I saw my Shields fall, my Armor, my structure, I quick hit to warp to the nearest station but right as the boosters started up, it was too late. My ship Exploded right in front of me.

A little pod floated in space, I warped to the base from which I had came.

My whole day, all my money, my ship, all the great parts I had were gone. I had nothing but my old starter ship.

I took a step back in my seat and breathed. I was furious, upset, horrified, by what had just happened, I was almost in shock. I got a lousey 11k for my loss, for not being insured. Thats when I noticed what this all meant, something that had never happened to me before in an MMO...

I actually Cared...

-Jive

Comments

• vincehvinceh Member Posts: 208

Welcome to perma-death my friend...

It hit me hard when I played EVE for the first time too, nobody told me about it..I thought I would be able to get my stuff back, like I had to do a corpse run or something..but nope.

You should be more careful

See you in space - watch out

-Vin

• ZeaphZeaph Member Posts: 11

Thats whats appealing about the game, is getting owned so hard and then just losing it all and your like.. Oh my.. suddenly soggy undergarments, I just lost hours worth of my life in a single moment.

and then your hooked. Its like gambiling

• sssanedorsssanedor Member UncommonPosts: 30

hehe yep same for me , spent all night in low area killing repops and salavaging took me 12 hours to get 120k bought me a great ship and lost it in hours .. in that game you pay for not thinking ahead o i still have 2 accts running tho i am in eq2 now i love eve online and log in to keep my training going and do missions  .   

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Haha, I remember that exact mission.  I had been having no problems at all in the other ones, so I went in there with the same mindset and BAM.. dead.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Ow.

D.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Welcome to EVE.

If you think that was a crazy feeling, just wait until you get into PvP.  

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Missions...ever had Worlds Collide?

I lost countless frigates there, until i realized that you

CAN JUST FLY THROUGH IT.

You dont have to bother with the pirates, the gates arent locked. You just fly through it fast, get the people out of the damaged heron, and that it.

Devs are evil!

Btw. did you notice the adrenaline? I can assure you, that feeling will never, ever go away. When you enter Pvp, you will lose. And you will always feel it..

Quite addicting to be honest.

btw. write your name and you can get some bucks. I just made quite a few isk in the market and feel like i should support some newbies to get started.

• SpeedyBananaSpeedyBanana Member Posts: 32

Everybody reaches this point eventually. Some people smarten up (like not spending everything you have on a ship and never stop to think what you're going to do if it blows up) and keep playing; the others quit the game.

It's a harsh game because it really punishes stupidity. Don't feel bad though, as we have all had similar things happen, some of us much worse. But this is the price we must pay to be free of World of Warcraft kids.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Yea Im getting back on right now, at like 6 in the morn to work on getting it all back before I have to go to college.

My character name is Hallas Were.

Im looking forward to joining up with a Corp to, but from what I heard I should try  and train up for a while until I decide to join a corp.

Apparently they Exploit n00bs or something

Who would have though!?

-Jive

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Hehe, wait till you do some pvp, your heart will be beating so hard you may think that it will fall out of your chest.

Only after you have had a lot of expereince and isk will this feeling easy!

Well, if you want to get scammed, join goonfleet.. ;)

Many corps rely on newbies as tacklers, so if you join a pvp-corp they will make use of you somehow...

And id recommed joining a corp that is acitve in pvp. Either on the yarr-side of life (pirate) or on the rawr-side (0.0 habitants). Mercenaries probably wont take you, as they need elite-pilots.

But choose wisely. Reputation is a big thing in eve, and once you are a known pirate it might become harder to live, as a lot of people wont like you. Its the most refreshing pvp you can get though, imo.

Maybe you should live a while without a corp to see what you would like to do in eve, but..that will probably change anyways, as it changed for every vet you will ask.

Originally posted by VultureSkull
    Only after you have had a lot of expereince and isk will this feeling easy!

For many it will only get less. I can still feel my heart beating even when i engage in a t1-frigate that i can replace extremely easy..

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

For many it will only get less. I can still feel my heart beating even when i engage in a t1-frigate that i can replace extremely easy..

Ture words!

• RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by SpeedyBanana
    Everybody reaches this point eventually. Some people smarten up (like not spending everything you have on a ship and never stop to think what you're going to do if it blows up) and keep playing; the others quit the game.
    It's a harsh game because it really punishes stupidity. Don't feel bad though, as we have all had similar things happen, some of us much worse. But this is the price we must pay to be free of World of Warcraft kids.

Funnily enough I just resubbed to Eve today after four years away from the game. I did run the tutorial again as that's a long time away. I started to play on my old character and I lasted about 15 minutes until my Rupture was blown to hell in 0.5 space. I was trying to get back to 1.0 via the safest route possible. All I did was sit and laugh because this was the best possible way to start the game again. As the OP said the great thing about Eve is that you *care*. Like many I'm just fed up with all these new easy mode MMOs with no death penalty and no sense of loss. It reminded me why I loved EQ1, early DAoC and Eve to start with because there are real consequences and real loss. At least I had the sense to have ship insurance so no ISK loss and I'm really looking forward to starting out small again and learning the ropes. I'll leave my Mammoth where it is in 0.4 until I have the ability to get it back to safe space ;).

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
    William S. Burroughs

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well OP...welcome to the world of EVE.... I joined up 4 months ago..and I had the same experience you did...a couple of times..... couple of tips....

1) Alway start a mission by aligning your ship to a gate, base or celestial object and get your ship up to full speed.  That way...if you need to warp out quickly your ship will able to practically insta-warp making it much easier to escape.

2)  Not sure what race you are...if you are shield tanking as soon as the shields get below 20% get the heck out....armor tanking you certainly can wait a while..but I'd guess same rule...20% armor...get out.

3)  Never fly more than you can afford to lose. But of course, we all did it... once.  Afterwards I always made sure I had enough cash to buy two of the ships I wanted to fly....

4) Never fly a ship w/o insurance (Tech I only) it more than pays for itself in most cases (especially with Battlecruisers and Battleships)

5) Before running missions, make sure you know what ships 'not' to shoot.  Some ships are triggers and will spawn more waves of rats.  Websites like this one are a huge help.

home.broadpark.no/~tijohann/eve/missions/

or

eveinfo.com/missions/1/

6) Join a Corp now... it will improve your EVE experience.  I understand you don't want to be scammed, here's two good suggestions....

www.a-w-e.org/Opportunity_To_Join.htm

Progenitor are good folks and will work with you until you are ready to go to 0.0 ...tell Gordon 'Torr' said hello....

or you can try EVE University..who make it their mission to assist new players learn to play EVE

vnboards.ign.com/eve_general_board/b22281/96665200/p1/

My own corp is a good place, but alas we don't have a training branch so you can't join up until you've got about 3 month of training under your belt (5M SP's) or at least can fly a ratting BS that can handle itself in the belts in 0.0 to earn your way. (I joined at the 2.5 month mark)

But send me a PM here on MMORPG.com after you've skilled up a bit and if you are interested in joining a Stealth OPS corp.

Fly safe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Yeah I remember when I first lost a ship that I really liked, well it was my first shiploss to be honest.

Back in the days in 2004 I was working as a miner and in the beginnerchannel a group was forming and they wanted to go to a low sec system to mine some rare minerals.

I had done some mining with them and I was asked if I wanted to join in, back then I had just got my very first cruiser and I had worked hard for it.

It was a Vexxor and before that I had been mining min my Velator and later the other gallente frigate... to I could afford to buy the Vexxor.

So we head out to the low sec system, and we knew there where some pirates there but we took the chances, we was several cruisers, some haulers and one battleship for protection.

Also at this time the battleship was not something everyone did own and it was a good investment to get one or atleast thats what it seems like.

Someone wrote in the channel we had created that they had spottet pirates in the system, before we knew it two pirates came to view in the system and panic broke out :-)

The poor battleshippilot tried to fend off the pirates to secure our departure and most came out of there alive, I remember watching these two shiny lights coming my way before I knew it I was struck by 2 Cataclyst cruisemissiles that wreck havoc on my little cruiser and I begun the procedures to enter warp... just as I entered warp the third missile did hit my cruiser and I was in my pod warping back to station.

Our brave battleshippilot lost his battleship, and me my cruiser and we really did not get any minerals back to justify that loss but still it was my first encounter to PvP and it was one heck of a adrealinekick !!!!

Also later we where 5 guys working together to build us some battleships, at the first one we spent like 2-3 weeks of mining just to get the minerals needed to build one battleship (selling some minerals for Zydrine and Megacyte), after the first one was done we used it to mine and so we could complete the second battleship in half the time !!! and so on...

We later formed a corp together and I remember when I lost my first battleship to a mission, I was so embarresed that I at first debated if I was to tell my corpmates or not :-P I know silly but it was really a blow but it was back to mining with my Thorax once I had lost the battleship.

However I did learn one important lesson... loosing ship is not that bad, and ever since I lost my battleship I really did not care if I lost one because I always had one spare !!! and only once in my EVE time I had ever insured a ship.

Some friends of mine who where knew to the game tought it was funny to watch me loose a battleship at a mission to protect them out of the mission, on teamspeak I was laughing like hell while my ship went booom.

When I stopped my account I had 10 battleships in my inventory all fully fitted, it included 1 Nightmare battleship too :-) had several cruisers and frigates (mostly factionships as I sort of where collecting them).

Before I stopped playing I lost my mission Raven to some pirates and within 4 hours  I had build a new one ... and because the price of some items had dropped in prices it was infact cheaper than the one I had lost and the 40% coverage was more than enough to buy Zydrine, Megacyte AND some named launchers and modules !!!

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

I remember my first loss verry well.I mined away for a month or 3 to get a battleship....lost it the same day it got build.

I love eve for these moments.

Yea I got back my little "Condor" and re-equipped with some standard launchers, got myself a plat. insurance.

So far its been smooth sailing, im just wondering what my next ship should be!?

I also can not believe how many ships there are, in comparison to lesser space mmo's like Vendetta.

EvE seriously should be an mmo everyone tries out, if I had never started playing it, my life would feel incomplete.

-Jive

• Bogoa2000Bogoa2000 Member UncommonPosts: 22

I see that everyone had that feeling 'loss' including me. I canceled my account I was so hurt by my loss. Then few days went passed and that feeling of loss still burned in my gut that I came back to my addiction.

EVE is getting better and better and I'm more addicted each day.

I care as if it's real.

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Yea I got back my little "Condor" and re-equipped with some standard launchers, got myself a plat. insurance.

So far its been smooth sailing, im just wondering what my next ship should be!?

I also can not believe how many ships there are, in comparison to lesser space mmo's like Vendetta.

EvE seriously should be an mmo everyone tries out, if I had never started playing it, my life would feel incomplete.

-Jive

Yeah lots of ships and they are adding 20 MORE ships in November.

I remember my first lost too.  I was in a 0.5 system in my brand new Merlin and it happened at the star.  Keep in mind this was fall 2003 so a Merlin was one of the "best" ships in the game plus NPC spawned at the stars then too.  Anyways, I went in to shoot my first cruiser sized rats and I lasted all of about 5 seconds.  I was furious, so furious that I got in my kestral and had 3 of my corp mates come with me to teach those NPCs a lesson

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Ive been playing Eve for about 2 days now, probably around 8 hours both days. The game is seriously appealing to me in every way. I had never seen any videos or really any screens sept like one or two of the game, when I decided to buy a subscritption.  I was having a blast the whole time, making ISK and upgrading my ship, seriously I spent hours just finding the best parts for my ship and equilizing out all my stats, and planning for my next skill choice.

Then out of freakin no where the game hit my like a Ton of bricks.

I accepted a mission that was worth a good 50k, an extra 50k if I completed it within an hour. All my other missions before this point were cake, all at around 20k.

I had spent all day outfitting my new cool looking "Condor" ship, with some nice launchers and shield boosts. I has used up alot of my money too, so I knew this would be a great way to get it all back.

My mission was to destroy a convoy and get the cargo. I set out and made my way to the mission I rushed my way there to get the mission done in the hours time, like I had done for all my previous missions.
    I entered an area, with debri from old ships and asteroid, I saw the three convoy ships with about 6 body guards. I thought, "No problem I just killed like 12 little ships in my last mission, this will be cake." I charged up everything I had and BOOM! I attacked the enemy cruiser.

Withing mear seconds I saw my Shields fall, my Armor, my structure, I quick hit to warp to the nearest station but right as the boosters started up, it was too late. My ship Exploded right in front of me.
    A little pod floated in space, I warped to the base from which I had came.

My whole day, all my money, my ship, all the great parts I had were gone. I had nothing but my old starter ship.

I took a step back in my seat and breathed. I was furious, upset, horrified, by what had just happened, I was almost in shock. I got a lousey 11k for my loss, for not being insured. Thats when I noticed what this all meant, something that had never happened to me before in an MMO...

I actually Cared...

-Jive

did you, like, cry?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• I think it takes a special person to really like eve.  Most people, myself included, don't really like the though of losing days or weeks or even a year's worth of work in one moment.  I see the excitement in that, and respect it for those who like that risk, but it's just not normally my cup of tea.

But more to the point here, I recommend finding a corp immediately, especially if you have lots of time to play the game.  If you don't, it become very easy to play like I do, and just stick to missions in safe space.  Although it's not a bad game style, it can get boring, and you won't get to experience more exciting content since you really need a group of friends if you want to venture to low-sec space.

I hope you find the game enjoyable as time goes on.  I, unfortunately, tend to get burnt out after a very short time in eVe, and have cancelled/reactivated countless times because I just can't stick with it long term.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

it's like the man says, "don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Aie. One big thing in Eve is to realize, that it is better to spend smaller amounts of money on smaller ships then blowing up all your money in one ship.
    One Lvl4 Mission equals one t2-fitted assaultfrigate or cruiser or Ceptor to lose.

I just wanted to thank everyone that has sent me messages in game, and has supported me through my ventures thus far. Im in a great Corporation called "Shotgun Tactics" and im learning the ropes of the low sec zones and PvP.

I hope to see all you guys on, and message me again if you want to venture out and get some of those nasty raiders!

-Jive