Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's time for a new WWII MMO

We really are lacking any GOOD military MMOs. WWII ONLINE was a great idea but cornered rat software was just too small of a company to make it. They had some good ideas but the graphics and implementation of it were/are just horrible.

We really need a BIG company that will make the next great WWII or military based MMO. Is there anything out there or in the works that anyone has heard about or knows is going to be done?

Cal

Comments

• AmalaricAmalaric Member Posts: 480

It's not the size of the company that matters, it's the talent within the company.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Originally posted by Caligulug

We really are lacking any GOOD military MMOs. WWII ONLINE was a great idea but cornered rat software was just too small of a company to make it. They had some good ideas but the graphics and implementation of it were/are just horrible.

We really need a BIG company that will make the next great WWII or military based MMO. Is there anything out there or in the works that anyone has heard about or knows is going to be done?

Cal

Rofl... If Cornered Rat implented better graphics even the top-notch computer wouldn't be able to play it, the computer would be fried instantly.

The thing is that you can see so far in WW2 Online so the "bad" graphics is needed. Btw, Gameplay > Graphics.

And no, I don't play it anymore but I'm thinking of rejoining... how many are still playing?

• SymoneSymone Member Posts: 277

/puke. Look, we have enough freakin' FPS/RTS everything S WW combat clone games out, please god not a WWII mmo!

Originally posted by Symone

/puke. Look, we have enough freakin' FPS/RTS everything S WW combat clone games out, please god not a WWII mmo!

And yet you got the Warhammer Orcs "banner" as your avatar. we have enough freakin' RTS/RPG/MMO games that has a fantasy setting, please god not another fantasy mmo!

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i was just thinking about this .... i would really play a new ww2 mmo. WW2 online is just too dated for me. And if the new game was done right it would have a pretty decent player base. There arent many decent FPS mmos out there.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Unless ts free to play, there is no way any MMORPGFPS will stand up to the competition. The western market is built on FPS games. Most of them have persistent stats and unlocks now a days. Some communities have world persistent wars/battles/units...(BF2 tour of duty)

• SymoneSymone Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by Aragoni

And yet you got the Warhammer Orcs "banner" as your avatar. we have enough freakin' RTS/RPG/MMO games that has a fantasy setting, please god not another fantasy mmo!

I agree! I just like the face

• greywolf8404greywolf8404 Member Posts: 123

It would be nice and it could be done but the expanse of it would be great if you wanted top of the line graphics. There are just far more ideas that could be done at a far less cost with a far bigger fan base.

"And thus I clothe my naked villany/ with old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ/ and seem a saint when most I play the devil." Shakespeare's Richard III Act I Scene 3.

• howitzer1howitzer1 Member Posts: 109

Cal

Ya a solid WW2 MMOG would own.  Like Medal of Honor style

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by howitzer1

Ya a solid WW2 MMOG would own.  Like Medal of Honor style

no i think he means a good military MMO, not an arcade shoot em up.

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I have been playing NavyFIELD for a while now.  Its pretty fun because of the twitch controls.  If you're into world war II naval battles its a pretty good game.

• CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283

Well I really hope a GOOD company like FunCom or other HUGE MMO maker will take this task on. Like I said we really really need a good WWII MMO. It is the most poular part of recent war history and everyone and their dog would play it.

As for WWIIOL well I think they have like 2-500 sub atm. Like one of the posters said it is just too dated. Great concept but it looks like pitfall to me now after playing some of the newer games out there. With DirectX10 coming a WWII game would look awsume.

Cal

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

Well I really hope a GOOD company like FunCom or other HUGE MMO maker will take this task on. Like I said we really really need a good WWII MMO. It is the most poular part of recent war history and everyone and their dog would play it.

As for WWIIOL well I think they have like 2-500 sub atm. Like one of the posters said it is just too dated. Great concept but it looks like pitfall to me now after playing some of the newer games out there. With DirectX10 coming a WWII game would look awsume.

Cal

actually they have a few thousand subs since many like to buy year subscriptions and always have the ability to play occasionally (like me)

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

I tried to play wwII  online and the graphics made me throwup. I felt like I was playing Doom64. Uninstalled.

I agree! I just like the face

How intreresting, please tell me in what kind of setting you would like to see an MMO take place in.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by britzban

I tried to play wwII  online and the graphics made me throwup. I felt like I was playing Doom64. Uninstalled.

lol you have to same problem I do.  Bad graphics make me literally puke too.  Its the main reason I went into game development.  I have a natural eye for good graphics.  Like one time we did a team project to make a good level.  My teams level didn't make me puke... but the other 2 teams, gah what bad graphics.

• tailoutailou Member UncommonPosts: 54

I agree, WW2 online really sucked on graphics, but i think the concept made by the devs of that game should earn a tab on the shoulder. When i found out the existence of that game, i was really happy, i played it, even that I´m a F2P addict.

The community was great too, i joinned a guild and we had some fun, "some" because all the time we spent on the battlefield was for walking around or just hiding, ok, maybe i sucked, but i got bored... it´s different from ET enemy territory, when u go and attack... die and spawn... hard core all the way... WW2onl is more tactical... makes u play like a sniper hiding for hours (if u have to) and try to have a kill... i had a kill on the 3rd day of playing... veterans told me that some players get their first kill  about a month of palying... some may find that interesting, but i found that way of playing a little boring.

But, we are here to discuss a MMO based on WW2... is a very good theme,, instead of more and more fantasies and most recent rome like and pirate like themes... WW2 theme should be great... and despite the thecnical difficulties, i think the fact of creating a huge world map when thousands of players play alltogether in a FPS mode may kill the PCs, but all they (devs) got to do is to separate each area of battlefield (France, Belgium, Germany, Japan, etc), and the playes should choose which area to interfere at that moment, according to the need of forces in some of the areas or even according to the guilds strategics of battle.

MMO most of the time consist of having a character and leveling it, much more like WW2 online, when u have a rank for each force, each kill gives u exp., when u have enough u could choose more powerfull weapons or different jobs (sniper, artillery), but i think a future WW2 game should consist of choosing a character of each side, the allies or the axis (really standard, every Ww2 game is like this). the exp should be gainned of the time in battlefield, i dont care if u spawn in a non-risky-city or even in a plain field, the time u spend online should give u exp... ok, the campers issue comes up ahead, but if players camp in a plain field, the player risk himself of being a sitting duck, so be it.

And more exp should be gainned for each kill... obviously, and no items drops... ammo or weapons should be gainned in a ammo depot, so i imagine the rush of getting enenmy ammo depots in the game... like instead of  sinking a ammo cargo ship, conquer it and sail it back to your port, thats fun! sure that some standard ammo should be spawn at the HQ of each side, so it avoids the one-side-have-it-all situation.

All written makes a lot of FPS games come to mind, like Battlefield, ET, bla bla bla, u name it. Combining all the great stuff i thnik a suscessfull WW2 MMO could be a hit. Let´s just hope...

--------------Gamer for life.--------------

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

I'd like to see Medal of Honor try to have the viewrange WW2OL offers.

I'd like to see Medal of Honor try to have tanks do kills 3km's out...

I'd like to see Medal of Honor offer a map the size of 1/2 europe.

Heck, I'd kill to see Medal of Honor have any kind of velocity/ballistics and penetration involved.

And yet manage to keep their gfx up.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i just have to say...SNAPPED!!!!

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ToTXfireToTXfire Member Posts: 2

OK, I played just after beta in WWIIOL (this seems to be the overwhelming topic here) and stayed on for 5 years. The initial had seperate servers for different areas and that had distinct disadvantages. VOIP made zerging a server too easy.

The visual range in WWIIOL is da bomb. The graphics suck however they compsensate with "realistic" weapon performance. Nerfs are a hot topic in that community. As for the community itself, it has degraded due to gameplay "features" that made being in a squad/clan a bigger pain than just being a cat to be herded. So much for commoraderie.........

I've heard rumors of Ubi doing something like this and they have advanced in some aspects via Theatre of War. It's RTS but they have in essence created the ground war that the IL2 series lacked. In the same fell swoop they revolutionized RTS gaming. Killer graphics, awesome sound effects and a fog of war that's actually believable. Maybe when things advance a bit further we'll see a nifty new MMO that can keep the dream alive and the shoebox shooter fans quiet.

The guys I game with have spent the last 3 years or so just itching for a new MMORPG based on WWII. In teh mean time we kind of kid ourselves thinking we're entertained by a host of other games...

ToTXfire  

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

With all the WW2 games out I think I've killed more Nazi to date then the entire contingent of the German army.  To be fair though, I've also killed just as many orc, elves and gnomes so this might be a moot point.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Illius

With all the WW2 games out I think I've killed more Nazi to date then the entire contingent of the German army.  To be fair though, I've also killed just as many orc, elves and gnomes so this might be a moot point.

Yep, I think you've stumbled upon what we really need.

World of Medal of Honorcraft: Orcs and Elves vs. The Third Reich

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

WW2 setting has been played out, bring on the veitnam, korean war, or desert storm mmo.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

How about a modern MMOFPS, I'm sick of WWII, they churn those games out like nothing.

Faster paced, better graphics, and no extremely steep learning curve and WWIIO coulda been good, but I really didn't like it, flying for 15 minutes in a plane only to get blown up gets old very quickly.

• xDarcxDarc Member Posts: 211

If anyone ever does get around to making another MMOFPS; I hope to god that it does not play as softcore as PlanetSide.  Full on NERF action in that game. 

MMOFPS games should stay true to old skool FPS mechanics and principles, not soften it up for the MMO crowd ala Tabula Rasa.

MMOFPS can and will be completely independent from MMORPGs.