Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's UO's influence showing in the contemportary game market?

WTT modern MMO's for yesterdays fun MMO's

Hi,

I played UO shortly after startup until a little after T2A, followed by a few years of Asheron's Call.

I'd have to say that UO is the greatest game I've ever played in my life. I can remember the adrenaline rush I got when I started the game. I'd go out, do some mining -  as much as I could carry - and sure enough, some asshole had to come by and "Corp Por" my ass into oblivion. Or when, later in the game, a house was getting ready to rot and dozens of characters would be on the scene, ready to KILL for that spot. It was all so perfectly contained. Optional PvP? Bite me.

If you played the game the way I did, you understand.

What I'm wondering is, in a world full of "carebear" mmo's where are the nasty, brutal aspects that made UO such a fun, visceral, game. Who is making this crap? Let me know if you've found anything. I'm getting ready to give Tabula Rasa a try, gonna see if Garriot can pull it off twice.

Comments

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I've heard that tabula rasta is a PVE game.  Anyway, check out EvE Online for that same feeling, cause thats the only place you'll find it nowadays.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

I agree. Eve online is the only mmo out there that even comes close to the style of play classic UO provided.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by joeyboots

I agree. Eve online is the only mmo out there that even comes close to the style of play classic UO provided.

Otherwise, your next great hope might be Darkfall

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

UO was the game to play!  Sadly,ever since UO started losing customers to the "new" games, They started to panic and decided to change its gameplay to match the rest of the genera.  If you look at most boards now, you'll notice everyone is getting sick of the same game with different skins. (WoW, SWG, LOTR )just to name a few.  Now it seems like everyone is looking for something different.  A place they can call home for an extended amount of time.   UO  HAD that difference, but now its just another game. 

I'd be kickin myself in the butt if i was in charge of UO

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

If your looking for decent PvP games DAoC and Eve-Online are good options. DAoC has specific areas for PvP unless you play the mordred server wich is the hardcore pvp free for all server. Eve is a great choice it has care bear areas but the heart of the game is Unsecure space where players battle for domination. As far as ever seeing a new game that is purely PvP free forall any where any time I wouldnt hold your breath. Simple fact is majority of gamers wouldnt pay to play it atleast not for verry long companys put out games to make money so go where the money is and the  money just isnt in hardcore pure PvP.

• Gu1ltyGu1lty Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Focker

UO was the game to play!  Sadly,ever since UO started losing customers to the "new" games, They started to panic and decided to change its gameplay to match the rest of the genera.  If you look at most boards now, you'll notice everyone is getting sick of the same game with different skins. (WoW, SWG, LOTR )just to name a few.  Now it seems like everyone is looking for something different.  A place they can call home for an extended amount of time.   UO  HAD that difference, but now its just another game. 
    I'd be kickin myself in the butt if i was in charge of UO

Yes...UO was the OG. Turn based BBS gaming at its finest! Damn I really miss those simpler days.

• fe_numberonefe_numberone Member UncommonPosts: 8

I still find my self comparing new games with what UO offered me in the past.

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by fe_numberone

I still find my self comparing new games with what UO offered me in the past.

Who doesn't?!  Im actualy keepin an eye out for another game like uo.  Unlike some, I love the 2d graphics and wouldn't change them for the world.

• ryotianryotian Member Posts: 138

yeah what sucks for newcomers if they try to go back and play it well they will be playing a different game from what people speak of

• tilletille Member Posts: 6

It's utterly baffling to me that something as simple and cool as player housing has never been done again in any prominent game. Screw unrestricted PvP, just give me housing, a useful crafting system, and skills instead of levels, and work from there.

All the current MMOG developers and those who fund them are stupidly competing for the same narrow niche. Why? There's so much untapped potential in the genre.

For now I'm just playing Guild Wars, because it's fun, there's no monthly fee, and the holiday events are incredible (something that UO started, I believe). I can't imagine paying $15/mo for the privilege of killing monsters with some other people. The "massive" part of MMOG should mean something more than number of players. Otherwise it's all just Diablo with more people.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Absolutley agree here UO was the greatest gaming experience i have had .I just cancelled a nearly 10 year account on Atlantic but Mythics work on KR is utter trash and put the final nail in the UO coffin IMO ...Really wish some developer would wake up and do something similar .. Darkfall is the only thing on the horizon that may bring some of those fantastic gaming elements to life again..

Just add i have played AC,AC2, DaOC, WoW, EQ, Lineage 2,SWG,Horizons,currently EQ2 , and have maxed lvl in each of these or very near, and none of these games touch the thrills and enjoyment that UO brought those 1st few years.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

UO's did influence a game... Koster went from UO to SWG... then the CU and NGE turned SWG into EQ in space.

So pretty much at this time.. UO isn't showing up any where.

UO and Pre-CU SWG would be my 2 MMO's of choice.

SWG was just a bit more restrictive because it was more or less a class/skill based game.  Where old UO you just tossed your 700 skill points where you saw fit (long before power scrolls and cap increases due to account age blah blah).

The housing in SWG was pretty good aka player cities.. vendor malls etc.. every time I think of the early days of either game.. it makes me want to smash things (that those games are still around but gone at the same time).

OH well...

• tilletille Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Just add i have played ...Horizons

The really sad thing about Horizons was that the original design was quite a grand vision: a huge, complex, highly-interactive world, with a novel character development system. But the designer got forced out of the company, and what's there now is nothing close to what it should have been. Unfortunately, the same guy -- David Allen -- is now working on some bullshit cookie-cutter MMORPG called Alganon. There are enough twists to make it interesting enough that I might try it, but it's a pale shadow of his previous vision.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Antarious

UO's did influence a game... Koster went from UO to SWG... then the CU and NGE turned SWG into EQ in space.
    So pretty much at this time.. UO isn't showing up any where.
    UO and Pre-CU SWG would be my 2 MMO's of choice.
    SWG was just a bit more restrictive because it was more or less a class/skill based game.  Where old UO you just tossed your 700 skill points where you saw fit (long before power scrolls and cap increases due to account age blah blah).
    The housing in SWG was pretty good aka player cities.. vendor malls etc.. every time I think of the early days of either game.. it makes me want to smash things (that those games are still around but gone at the same time).
    OH well...

Yep

Best 3 MMO's ever (so far):

UO

SWG Pre CU/NGE

EVE

=======================

Unfortunately nothing else even comes close.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• LowlanderLowlander Member Posts: 14

To the original posters words.

I think alot of people still think UO is what those in the early days found... Murdering buggers who would slay you just for that knotch on their belt. Todays UO is alot different, pvp is very much consensual since they brought about splitting the world into two mirror images, one that is safe 'Its called Trammel' and the only time another player can attack another player is through either being in the same guild or being at war with another guild. Being able to war guilds on an individual basis is what has created in my view the most unique RP experiences a player will ever find in any game.

The second land, the mirror image and evil side of Trammel is called Felucca. The first thing your notice when stepping into Felucca is the music and the desolation of the land its self looking mean (Although you can turn of the desolation if you choose to make it look normal) And the music, the look is meant to put fear in you because in Felucca anything goes, anyone can attack anyone. If you see a player with a name in red coloured lettering, be prepared to fight or run, because he is a murderer and wants your insurance money (Yup, these days you can insure anything valuable so you dont lose that special item, some love it, some hate it...) So why go to Felucca? It has increased resource gathering, it has those powerful stat scrolls that you could sell for a fortune, it has increased fame if thats what you need, but most of all it has that satisfaction of perhaps not defeating that killer, but atleast escaping with a backpack of gold from his bandit friends to live another day...Priceless. ;)

• justmanjustman Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by ryotian

yeah what sucks for newcomers if they try to go back and play it well they will be playing a different game from what people speak of

Not true

• justmanjustman Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Lowlander

.... Being able to war guilds on an individual basis is what has created in my view the most unique RP experiences a player will ever find in any game...

So true.

• ClarenceClarence Member Posts: 3

Twilight Wars and Darkfall are the most closely resembling games to classic UO.

The only difference it takes you from overhead perspective to FPS which I think immerses you in the game, you cant see behind you, you must have (in most cases) line of sight, and allows for all genres of time period.

Anyway I agree UO is the foundation that all games should build on for realism, depth, balance, gameplay, and above all emotion. Fear Anger Excitement you name it UO had it!!