Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some truths that really hit home...

This weekend weezer linked his latest Mitra's Method editorial on the official forums and in this edition he hits home on some truths about the people who so are very quickly ready to abash Age of Conan, or any other MMO for that matter.

http://aoc.warcry.com/news/view/77385

The AoC WarCry site seems to have gotten a face-lift as well... very nice. 

Comments

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274

Good read. Thanks for posting.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Stephen > Weezer mostly always has some good points for discussion in Mitra's Method. I find it funny how the so called" finacial expert" disappeared right after their claim.

Reminds me of  some posters that troll here or "hot air". About as substantial as a toe nail clipping...

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

After reading the article, I find it interesting that "weezer" continually refers to these games as "gifts," as if these companies don't get anything in return. This "weezer" character could do with some reminding that we do pay monthly fees, and while some people take the whining too far, the developers have a responsibility to add features and make changes based on what the customers want.

Obviously since AoC is still in beta, this doesn't apply here, and people who start making demands and complaining about the game are just attention-grabbing. Just as anywhere else in life, name-calling and rude remarks are more likely to get you kicked out than make you some friends. It was clearly a well-written article and "weezer" is without a doubt one of the most qualified people whose work I have read.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I'd Still like to see "Sturmrabe" do a guest write up one day > hey Weezer if your listening??

• TrinitarianTrinitarian Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by Aethios

After reading the article, I find it interesting that "weezer" continually refers to these games as "gifts," as if these companies don't get anything in return. This "weezer" character could do with some reminding that we do pay monthly fees, and while some people take the whining too far, the developers have a responsibility to add features and make changes based on what the customers want.

That's a very valid point, but the way I see it, a company can decide to make a particular game, or not. That, I think, is what weezer is referring to in his article. True, we pay subscription fees and so forth, but if the game is not quality - and this is where the "gift" comes in - are we going to buy into it in the first place?

Obviously since AoC is still in beta, this doesn't apply here, and people who start making demands and complaining about the game are just attention-grabbing. Just as anywhere else in life, name-calling and rude remarks are more likely to get you kicked out than make you some friends. It was clearly a well-written article and "weezer" is without a doubt one of the most qualified people whose work I have read.

Agreed.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

good read.. thnx :)

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

some truths that really hit home...

Funcom is making an MMO

Funcom is making a damn good MMO

Funcom is awesome

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by Death1942

Funcom is making an MMO

Funcom is awesome

Funcom is next Blizzard!

Funcom is just great!

Gaute for President!

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by Resetgun

Funcom is next Blizzard!
    Funcom is just great!
    Gaute for President!

Dear god I hope not, on the first and third points at any rate.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Funcom is making an MMO

Funcom is awesome

QFT. 

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

That was a really well written blog.  It made me open up my eyes a bit.  I always see myself getting made and all whinny at times when, for example, I'm in the BGs in WoW.  Some twinked out player attacks me and kill me, I yell and get pissed. 

What has happened to me?  there used to be a day I would play a game just to have fun.  But what am I doing now?  Trying to be the best.  Trying to MAKE myself play some games.  Hence WoW.  Do I really want to grind endless hours, not really.  I've almost got so caught up in some of these games that I've forgot which other games I have that I really have enjoyed.  Why not run through Bioshock again?  Because I want to be level 43.  Why not get on my 360 and play some fun games?  Because I need more honor points to buy the next best equipment. 

In a way I've also have been looking into WAR and AoC in a way.  I don't want to turn this ins't a X vs Y argument, but I feel like I don't see the big picture at times.  I should just go with my instincts on what game looks a bit more fun to play than the other.  I've seen the videos of WAR, the animations.  I've seen the videos of AoC and the animations of the games.  War has pretty boring animations but cool spell effects and lands.  Age of Conan has a pretty neat combat idea, sexy female models and great graphics, but the siege dissapoints me, the crashing walls of the buildings lack innovation.  Now it's just up to me to decide what game I just want to casual play in.  WHich one will be fun to play with friends and just go around and do what a game is ment to do....have fun.

Thanks for the link, one of the best blogs I've read.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by MaeEye

That was a really well written blog...

Not to be picky or anything, but it was an editorial, and yes, there's a difference between a blog and an editorial. I believe that "weezer" himself is a qualified journalist.

Editorial: http://projects.edtech.sandi.net/montgomery/sandiegowatershed/how_to_write_an_editorial.htm

Blog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

It's a shame how the internet has blurred the lines between the two.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Trinitarian

Originally posted by MaeEye

That was a really well written blog...

Not to be picky or anything, but it was an editorial, and yes, there's a difference between a blog and an editorial. I believe that "weezer" himself is a qualified journalist.

Editorial: http://projects.edtech.sandi.net/montgomery/sandiegowatershed/how_to_write_an_editorial.htm

Blog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

It's a shame how the internet has blurred the lines between the two.

editorial, whatever.  Either way, it was good. 

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Very good read and some very valid points. Thanks for posting!

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• gothgargothgar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Resetgun

Funcom is making an MMO

Funcom is awesome

Funcom is next Blizzard!

Funcom is just great!

Gaute for President!

Please no... I don't want imbalanced classes with constant nerfs/buffs because the development team has no idea what the hell they are doing and are completely out of touch with their playerbase.