Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedly, Remember These Days? Bring 'em Back Please

The game was just out of beta and 40 of my guild started playing. I was one of my group’s “Planet Side” testers/players, having beta tested it. We are 200 strong spread out now over 8-10 different games.

I would tune in the SWG channel on TS and listen, it was amazing to here the accounts of things across the galaxy as seen through the eyes of noobs. Everyone was a noob. I had to be a part of this.

I got the game and away I went. There were people everywhere. Cantinas were jammed, star ports as well. People running across Dath, no speeders yet. Fighting rancors and nightsisters. Squills and Tuskin Raiders were things to avoid on our home planet. The Corellian plains and the swamps of Talus, filled with big cats and their babies was a great place for the CH, but a dangerous one as well.

The crafting was amazing as well, folks dedicated themselves to mining, harvesting or buying the best resources, looting or buying skill tapes, and the items they made were top shelf. We knew who they were and we haggled for the best price. Weapons, armor, BE clothing, foods, drinks, etc…

The fighting classes would hire out to protect crafters as they tended their harvesters, or just paid us to bring home the best meat or bone, when ever it would be located that month at various places across the galaxy.

The player cites became sophisticated and well thought out. We would hunt in groups to fund the treasury. Recruit top crafters to place their vendors so traffic in town would increase.

Entertainers formed troupes that would travel around and perform at events for hire. Towns would have celebrations, music, fireworks, dancing. The socialization was at its peak.

Bases became focal points for the GCW, defending and attacking, when one went “hot” hundreds of players would be on hand. Theed was a kill zone as was the Bestine-Anchorhead corridor.

Jedi were rare and as the game progressed, more found their way to the Force. But through perma-death, saber TEF and eventually visibility and the BH, showing off with a LS was a bad thing. Removing the BH gank squad made us Jedi more brazen and may have been the first sign of the down hill slide. Jedi should have remained in the shadows.

I remember traveling across many planets and stopping off in camps on a regular basis. Players just out and about were never hard to stumble across. The Master Ranger camp was a sight to see. If they had a dancer, it was a chance to heal up a bit and move on. Before leaving you could often barter for a new pet or some food or drink. Few knew I was a Jedi, it was much safer that way. Regular clothes, carrying a rifle or carbine, with my LS in the tool bar just in case I was not as careful as I thought I was.

Back to a big city, get your speeder, armor and weapon repaired. It was always nice to find a smuggler and get those new items sliced. Stop by the local cantina and enjoy some music and get a mind buff, hit a star port and have a doctor buff you up. Then back out to the open spaces, never far from action.

Player run night clubs sprang up, rented juke boxes, exotic dancers, beauty pageants and just a place to hang out, waiting for the next assault on the enemy or hunting party. At one pageant, with about two hundred in attendance, a beautiful young Jedi was competing, when a BH attacked, the fight spilled out into the street and raged on for 20 minutes before she managed to escape. I cannot imagine a more “Star Warsy” scene then a fight breaking out in a Star Wars bar.

You didn’t have to run around to find PvP, it would always find you if you were not alert. NPC’s could unmask you as well, and many times you would have to fight your way out of town. For a Jedi, that meant visibility for sure. Time to be extra careful. But if laying low was your thing for the moment, there were 100 places to go and things to do. Tend to your factors, restock, shop, socialize, hunt, the Vette, Theme Parks, The Warren, Black Sun Bunker, etc… The server forums served as After Action Reports that made the slow times at work more enjoyable.

New players would seek help, and many did help. Taking them under their wing, showing them the ropes, forging bonds, weaken by the tears of this dying game, and friend’s lists evaporated as gamers left for greener pastures.

You really carved out your own existence, the greatest Star Wars saga ever told, yours… and if you ran the course and wanted a change, you could start over, 31 more times if it suited you.

Many of us have moved on, others stay and pray that the greatness of this game will return. Still others, like me, pay for a month here and there just to check in and see for ourselves.

For me, there is a soothing, surreal feeling when I hear the opening music. I stand above my home on Tatooine, in Storm’s End, a town we forged from the sands in a place called The Valley of the Wind. I watch the twin suns set over the mountains and remember what the game was like. It truly breaks my heart to think of the friends lost and the good times we had, gone forever, like the sands in a storm. I wait a bit longer, check my empty friend’s list and log off.

Yes, we were adventurers, explorers and soldiers, and it was the best of times.

Comments

• aionownsaionowns Member Posts: 175

dude........thats deep

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Great post, Robb.

I completely agree with your sentiments.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

ouch i feel the pain.

i miss my bol.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Actually..........

I agree with most of the OP's statement minus the Doc buffs. In my opinion buffs and dizzy were the 2 worst aspects of the game. Buffs allowed everyone to wear full comp armor without negative effect and to basically solo all the time against anything. Dizzy was just annoying and took a lot of the fun out of pvp.

As far as jedi go I didnt mind them when they were perma death and kill on sight to everyone.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

Damn memories

As my first major MMORPG, I still compare others I play to SWG . . . and none can match up

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

/cry

sooooo homesick

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Damn memories

As my first major MMORPG, I still compare others I play to SWG . . . and none can match up
    my exact sentiment.

was a fps player until i played Kotor someone had got me it for my bday in Oct 2003 to get that kind of feeling back in a star wars game i decided to try SWG 1st logged on DEC 03 and that was me hooked.

• xluciferxxluciferx Member Posts: 162

I've played for around 4 years now, I remember that time-zone, It had it's fun points, but people were always calling for nerfs and change. If only you had kept your mouth shut

• zaykodroidzaykodroid Member Posts: 220

Lets open a website. maybe anybody hear us.

just about this subject and lets try to collect all pre-cu veterans and the fans want to play pre-cu but never got a chance (like me)

i mean it.

what exactly will that accomplish?

• zaykodroidzaykodroid Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by xluciferx

what exactly will that accomplish?
    Just being organised.

i see lots of people almost every swg forum talking about good old days.

maybe force them to open a classic server.

How would we force them to open a classic server?

Discussions are good, but taking action takes time, and money, which i don't have.

• miatakamiataka Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Damn memories

yup me too... and they all fail...

Robb... thank you for so perfectly saying what we all feel.

and thank you for watching those sunsets, maybe one day at least one other vet will be there to say good bye on the last day of SWG server live .. and log of forever.

The main memory that came up was. after ToOW.. after they announced NGE ..after we tried it on test center.. on Intrepid Server

All of us left on the AOE channel all gathered. and we made our last hunting party. We all knew we would leave after NGE was live. and we spent thos last 3 hours together doing what we loved. Being together, helping each other, helping that last guy unlock FS and see the old man come talk to him...

We hunted bantha and eopie right to the very second of server off for that last time.

how I wish to log on ... and see AOE channel full again and watching that padawon light his /her saber for the first time and smile knowing and remebering how happy I was to do it for the first time and hear that sound...

rest in peace our beloved SWG

Maybe.. one day some one will understand what it was that made old SWG fun, and make a new .. moderen game in the SW story for us...this time not rushed.. not thrown together in a rush.

We will never get our game back, but maybe, Just maybe one day a Gamer that was there with us and understood what made SWG magicical, will graduate university  that knows what a great game is and make us a real SWG game with the elements we want in a way that will make us happy.

One can only hope.

Miataka (+many sub variation of that)
    ~WoW (Kael'Thas, USA)
    MiaTaka
    ~ RF On-line (Fire Server)
    -Mia- takahashi
    ~SWG (Europe-chimaera)
    Miataki Valeinca
    ~EQ 2 (everfrost)
    MiaTaka Soyinka
    ~Second Life

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

I would resub for a pre-cu swg, and my whole guild would as well..

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162

I have tried to move on for so long, but every time I log on to another MMO my thoughts go back to the old game of SWG.

...I really miss the old SWG 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by TheChronic

I would resub for a pre-cu swg, and my whole guild would as well..

We all would. I'd be happy with Pre NGE at this point 

Great post, I miss my droids now. 

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

*curls up in a fetal position after looking at his original copy of SWG and cries*

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

I just moved house recently and i found my old SWG beta disks. Then i read this.Now i think i might frame the disks lol.

How much can one company be wrong and so stubborn lol. I dont even care about my old char now just want to see a server with clasic ruleset and PEOPLE!! 

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    Originally posted by RobbHood

The game was just out of beta and 40 of my guild started playing. I was one of my group’s “Planet Side” testers/players, having beta tested it. We are 200 strong spread out now over 8-10 different games.

I would tune in the SWG channel on TS and listen, it was amazing to here the accounts of things across the galaxy as seen through the eyes of noobs. Everyone was a noob. I had to be a part of this.

I got the game and away I went. There were people everywhere. Cantinas were jammed, star ports as well. People running across Dath, no speeders yet. Fighting rancors and nightsisters. Squills and Tuskin Raiders were things to avoid on our home planet. The Corellian plains and the swamps of Talus, filled with big cats and their babies was a great place for the CH, but a dangerous one as well.

The crafting was amazing as well, folks dedicated themselves to mining, harvesting or buying the best resources, looting or buying skill tapes, and the items they made were top shelf. We knew who they were and we haggled for the best price. Weapons, armor, BE clothing, foods, drinks, etc…

The fighting classes would hire out to protect crafters as they tended their harvesters, or just paid us to bring home the best meat or bone, when ever it would be located that month at various places across the galaxy.

The player cites became sophisticated and well thought out. We would hunt in groups to fund the treasury. Recruit top crafters to place their vendors so traffic in town would increase.

Entertainers formed troupes that would travel around and perform at events for hire. Towns would have celebrations, music, fireworks, dancing. The socialization was at its peak.

Bases became focal points for the GCW, defending and attacking, when one went “hot” hundreds of players would be on hand. Theed was a kill zone as was the Bestine-Anchorhead corridor.

Jedi were rare and as the game progressed, more found their way to the Force. But through perma-death, saber TEF and eventually visibility and the BH, showing off with a LS was a bad thing. Removing the BH gank squad made us Jedi more brazen and may have been the first sign of the down hill slide. Jedi should have remained in the shadows.

I remember traveling across many planets and stopping off in camps on a regular basis. Players just out and about were never hard to stumble across. The Master Ranger camp was a sight to see. If they had a dancer, it was a chance to heal up a bit and move on. Before leaving you could often barter for a new pet or some food or drink. Few knew I was a Jedi, it was much safer that way. Regular clothes, carrying a rifle or carbine, with my LS in the tool bar just in case I was not as careful as I thought I was.

Back to a big city, get your speeder, armor and weapon repaired. It was always nice to find a smuggler and get those new items sliced. Stop by the local cantina and enjoy some music and get a mind buff, hit a star port and have a doctor buff you up. Then back out to the open spaces, never far from action.

Player run night clubs sprang up, rented juke boxes, exotic dancers, beauty pageants and just a place to hang out, waiting for the next assault on the enemy or hunting party. At one pageant, with about two hundred in attendance, a beautiful young Jedi was competing, when a BH attacked, the fight spilled out into the street and raged on for 20 minutes before she managed to escape. I cannot imagine a more “Star Warsy” scene then a fight breaking out in a Star Wars bar.

You didn’t have to run around to find PvP, it would always find you if you were not alert. NPC’s could unmask you as well, and many times you would have to fight your way out of town. For a Jedi, that meant visibility for sure. Time to be extra careful. But if laying low was your thing for the moment, there were 100 places to go and things to do. Tend to your factors, restock, shop, socialize, hunt, the Vette, Theme Parks, The Warren, Black Sun Bunker, etc… The server forums served as After Action Reports that made the slow times at work more enjoyable.

New players would seek help, and many did help. Taking them under their wing, showing them the ropes, forging bonds, weaken by the tears of this dying game, and friend’s lists evaporated as gamers left for greener pastures.

You really carved out your own existence, the greatest Star Wars saga ever told, yours… and if you ran the course and wanted a change, you could start over, 31 more times if it suited you.

Many of us have moved on, others stay and pray that the greatness of this game will return. Still others, like me, pay for a month here and there just to check in and see for ourselves.

For me, there is a soothing, surreal feeling when I hear the opening music. I stand above my home on Tatooine, in Storm’s End, a town we forged from the sands in a place called The Valley of the Wind. I watch the twin suns set over the mountains and remember what the game was like. It truly breaks my heart to think of the friends lost and the good times we had, gone forever, like the sands in a storm. I wait a bit longer, check my empty friend’s list and log off.

Yes, we were adventurers, explorers and soldiers, and it was the best of times.

I remember these days, and I miss them very much.  Thanks for this post, I hope and pray someone from SOE reads it and finally gives in

• in4sitin4sit Member Posts: 130

I did enjoy the post as well. I left SWG about 1 month after the NGE hit and I can very much recall a lot of what you said in the post... it's to bad that this will fall on dead ears at SOE and LA but thanks for the post,.. there use to be a GREAT game to play and it was called Star Wars Galaxies.

Been there done that:
    Asherons Call,SWG,AOC,D&D,COH,Anarchy Online,DAOC,EVE,Guild Wars,LOTRO,POTBS,WAR,WW2, and Rift

• ZathoralZathoral Member Posts: 110
    I remember when i first got the game it was my first mmorpg. I remember my friends was an architect and i wanted to be one too. I remember when she built her first house and i came inside and we had so much fun then she gave me my first harvestors and i put them up. A few days later she made a medium house and i was so amazed. It sounds stupid but those were some of the most funt imes in my life and they were definately the best times ive had gaming.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Great post man, brought back a lot of memories. I would definitely re-subscribe if they did make a classic server. Not that it matters much because I doubt they ever will.. but its worth a shot right?

• windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

Can we have back disapearing houses where we can randomly lose all our stuff and be sh*t out of luck?

Thats classic Pre-CU fun right there!

• IlshiIlshi Member Posts: 12

i've never missed orig SWG more in my life.

Great post man.  Great post.

w3rd

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

#24 I think you missed the point between bugs and severe game changing updates.. There's a difference bro ;]