Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Characters move through the world too slowly

I've been looking forward to AoC for a long time, but I have to say that watching the latest gameplay videos I'm really disappointed.

The biggest problem I see is that the characters move too slowly through the world.  I mean, they run with little baby steps and go really slow. 

If this is the way it's going to be, it will be a big loser, in my opinion.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

Comments

• ID10TID10T Member Posts: 110

I would wait for the game to come out,,, judging a game base on a  video?????

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Maybe it has something to do with the scale and the vastness of the world itself.  If you were riding a horse across the US you'd think you were moving slowly too.

I actually like the slowing of the pace at least when it comes to travel time.  This may play a factor in getting reinforcements or other forms of logistics (if there are any).

And I hardly think the movement speed through out the world will play a major role in attracting customers.  I'm at least hoping that the majority of the fan base of AoC will not care, and will be there more for the lore then OMFG FLYING MOUNTS!!!!  I would personally prefer if it took time to get from point A to point B.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by ID10T

I would wait for the game to come out,,, judging a game base on a  video?????

The operational word there being "wait," lol.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

Originally posted by Illius

Maybe it has something to do with the scale and the vastness of the world itself.  If you were riding a horse across the US you'd think you were moving slowly too.
    I actually like the slowing of the pace at least when it comes to travel time.  This may play a factor in getting reinforcements or other forms of logistics (if there are any).
    And I hardly think the movement speed through out the world will play a major role in attracting customers.  I'm at least hoping that the majority of the fan base of AoC will not care, and will be there more for the lore then OMFG FLYING MOUNTS!!!!  I would personally prefer if it took time to get from point A to point B.

Not at all--has nothing to do with world scale. 

Compare how long it takes for a character to baby-step run across a small clearing with how long it would take you to run across a similar-sized clearing at that scale in the real world.

It's extremely slow--you can't see that?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by Expatriate

I've been looking forward to AoC for a long time, but I have to say that watching the latest gameplay videos I'm really disappointed.
    The biggest problem I see is that the characters move too slowly through the world.  I mean, they run with little baby steps and go really slow. 
    If this is the way it's going to be, it will be a big loser, in my opinion.

Moves slowly compared to what?

We dont talk about running on concrete with good sneakers here.

And if you have a mount you will increase your speed.

Not at all--has nothing to do with world scale. 

Compare how long it takes for a character to baby-step run across a small clearing with how long it would take you to run across a similar-sized clearing at that scale in the real world.
    It's extremely slow--you can't see that?

Maybe he's being all sneaky like and tactical?

that's all I got

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

Ok, here's some videos for your to compare--one from AoC and one from RYL

http://pwnage.ning.com/video/video/show?id=749080:Video:25

http://pwnage.ning.com/video/video/show?id=749080%3AVideo%3A1421

Hey, I'm disappointed about this--I was looking forward to AoC  But I can't play it if I have to baby-step around.

What I would like to hear is that they're going to speed it up.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hey, I'm disappointed about this--I was looking forward to AoC  But I can't play it if I have to baby-step around.

Is the character from RYL not a human? therefore, explaining why it was designed to take 4 steps to every human one and also the speed of the character.

AoC's races are all human, however, I wouldn't say they baby step around, the video you uploaded onto your site above it such poor quality conversion and no to mention from a beta build from April'08. You basis for comparison of one game that has been released and one that is 6 months away from release is flawed to say the least. You have already made your mind up.

Did you see the running here? http://stage6.divx.com/user/nunduniel/video/1559948/barbarian---aoc-gamona-de

Looks ok to me, stil needs a slight tune up though.

From my perspective seems like you guys have already made your minds up.

Doesn't matter if that was an Akkan or human in RYL.  Take a look at any other fps or fpr game for comparison, Tabula Rasa, Battlefield 2, whatever.  I think there's a serious problem with the character movement animation in AoC, but if you guys are happy with it, whatever, I won't be playing it unless it's fixed.

Ok, fair enough.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Doesn't matter if that was an Akkan or human in RYL.  Take a look at any other fps or fpr game for comparison, Tabula Rasa, Battlefield 2, whatever.  I think there's a serious problem with the character movement animation in AoC, but if you guys are happy with it, whatever, I won't be playing it unless it's fixed.

Im not completely happy with it as it stands, no. How long has RYL been out? had testing and patches? in comparison to AoC. This isn't a fps game mate its not RYL either. Less you forgot, its still in beta and countless times they have said animations are continually being worked upon with each beta build engine.

• RadiohedwigRadiohedwig Member UncommonPosts: 22

Translation--------- "This MASSIVE multiplayer game does not cater to me and therefore I will throw  a fit!"

In all honesty though these are barbarians running around in a forest....they aren't going to be sprinting.  It is also a beta as other people have pointed out, and you are judging it from videos.   Now if you had said "im playing the beta and it seems a bit slow" then fine, but saying you won't be playing something until it is "fixed" without actually playing it is ridiculous.  Fixed for who?

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Oh great, another person who thinks its realistic for characters to run nonstop at 15+ KPH for potentially days on end.

If you want something realistic, just be glad that those characters aren't WALKING at a slow if steady pace everywhere they go.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• EattenEatten Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Is the character from RYL not a human? therefore, explaining why it was designed to take 4 steps to every human one and also the speed of the character.

AoC's races are all human, however, I wouldn't say they baby step around, the video you uploaded onto your site above it such poor quality conversion and no to mention from a beta build from April'08. You basis for comparison of one game that has been released and one that is 6 months away from release is flawed to say the least. You have already made your mind up.

Did you see the running here? http://stage6.divx.com/user/nunduniel/video/1559948/barbarian---aoc-gamona-de

Looks ok to me, stil needs a slight tune up though.

this video shows that they are not running but perhaps jogging and shows when you do run that you do tire out so it looks fine to me. good luck finding another game

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

There is a pvp video out for AoC, and I think they are moving around at a pretty good pace.  Also the run animation looks alot more realistic than shown in past videos.  Who knows what quality of animation they are putting into the videos anyway.  They could just be posting low quality vid's to save animation/ rendering time plus it seems that they want to save some stuff for the release.  All I have read from people who have played the game seems overall very positve.   People talk about how awesome the graphics of the game in real life, but I have yet to see it in any proof of it in 2 inch videos out there  

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Oh great, another person who thinks its realistic for characters to run nonstop at 15+ KPH for potentially days on end.
    If you want something realistic, just be glad that those characters aren't WALKING at a slow if steady pace everywhere they go.

It is about as realistic as shooting magic from one's fingers, or dying and being resurrected, or massive demonic monsters, or, or...

The point is, considering Age of Conan is set in a world rife with superhuman feats and such, is it so unrealistic to be able to jog at a good clip for miles on end? Hell, in real life someone in good shape can, so surely these trained soldiers can, too. I am a very, very amateur runner and can sustain about 12 km/h (~7-8 MPH) for around 40 minutes, longer if I really, really push myself. Considering almost no one in an MMORPG runs nonstop for 40 minutes, I fail to see the lack of realism. There are athletes that can run for multiple hours at 15 km/h. A marathon is around 42 km, and doing it in under 2.5 hours is common, with some runners doing it in just over 2 hours, for an average speed of 20 km/h.

Not that I have an opinion one way or the other on in-game implementation - I did not even watch the video. I just think it is funny to claim that running great distances is unrealistic while overlooking the fantasy world the game is set in. There are far, far more things that make far, far less sense.

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677

If you've read any R.E.H you'll know that Conan could in fact run for extended periods of time at pace.

I think the OP's problem (without realizing it) might be the running animation itself rather than the actual speed.

2c

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by Sornin

Originally posted by Aelfinn

It is about as realistic as shooting magic from one's fingers, or dying and being resurrected, or massive demonic monsters, or, or...

The point is, considering Age of Conan is set in a world rife with superhuman feats and such, is it so unrealistic to be able to jog at a good clip for miles on end? Hell, in real life someone in good shape can, so surely these trained soldiers can, too. I am a very, very amateur runner and can sustain about 12 km/h (~7-8 MPH) for around 40 minutes, longer if I really, really push myself. Considering almost no one in an MMORPG runs nonstop for 40 minutes, I fail to see the lack of realism. There are athletes that can run for multiple hours at 15 km/h. A marathon is around 42 km, and doing it in under 2.5 hours is common, with some runners doing it in just over 2 hours, for an average speed of 20 km/h.

Not that I have an opinion one way or the other on in-game implementation - I did not even watch the video. I just think it is funny to claim that running great distances is unrealistic while overlooking the fantasy world the game is set in. There are far, far more things that make far, far less sense.

The Conan lore covers a number of superhuman feats yes, but the by far majority of its populace, including the warriors, were just ordinary human beings who were no more capable of running 200 miles in one stretch without killing themselves than we would be.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• jubei031jubei031 Member Posts: 15

I have to agree with OP, sort of. Not really about the whole long distance running thing, its a game, I coudl care less about realisti whatever..BUT the run animation is goofy looking, I dont see how anyone could say other wise. they look like therye running with a hernia. I am also pretty turned  off by that, I mean I'll be staring at the character for a long time..make the animations good..

• kbeemkbeem Member Posts: 1

since when did running have anything to do with amazing gameplay?  what about all the other features that the game is promising? I don't want people like you playing this game anyway. good riddance.