Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An entertaining article on MMORPG's

TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Well, I thought it was....

http://www.zergwatch.com/article.php?n=86&page=1 

Agree or disagree?

Comments

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

I Wouldn't call PoTBS scaps on the table.

Most of the article I would agree with. Sure sounds like a rant though.

Bob Ross

• FyrroFyrro Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by BobRoss

I Wouldn't call PoTBS scaps on the table. 

Neither would the author, he mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean 

But yeah, sound like a bit of a rant. Warhammer stands a good chance of stealing alot of WOW's customers but their won't be a WOW killer until World of Warcraft 2 or World of Starcraft.

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

Whoops I read that wrong didnt I? LOL

Bob Ross

• SymoneSymone Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by BobRoss

Whoops I read that wrong didnt I? LOL

Bob Ross

Not really, I am pretty sure the author of this article meant POTBS.

Eh not that good of an article, nothing we haven't seen posted on 100 message boards.

• GimeGime Member Posts: 79

"Both games have been delayed in what most Azeroth haters would consider an eternity. In the mean time, some table scraps are being tossed on the floor. Pirates of the Caribbean, Gods and Heroes and Tabula Rasa will probably be good for a few chews before we bury them out back with EQ2, Vanguard and Dark and Light."

I couldn't disagree more.  EQ2 is still one of the best and it's up there.  As for the others... we're not sure about PoTBS and Gods and Heroes.

As for the others, faith has sealed their coffins.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

It was entertaining

As for Halo Potter that has potential, but I hate to say it if SoE was in charge well, it would be doomed.  Strength of IP is not enough to save a game from their "creativity" - after all we are talking about the company that bought EQ then fizzled the EQII and "NGE'd" SW:G to obscurity.

The eventual "WoW killer" will almost certainly be made by Blizzard, and it will build off WoW rather than kill it.  If you are pulling what, a billion a year in subs?, then you can probably afford to have some good people quietly working on the "step up" game.  Seriously if you were sitting on the Harry Potter IP, which game company would you have a chat with - SoE, EAMythic, Blizzard, CCP or someone else?  If it was me I would absolutely go Blizzard - when it comes down to it, they know how to deliver and they really know how to market.

• DeatrixDeatrix Member Posts: 47

Warhammer, Aion and AoC seem to be the most promising upcoming MMOs,  im not necessarily a WoW hater, ive definetly quit the game, reasons why i dont need to get into because its a topic being discussed to death these days. but the reason WoW needs a killer isnt because of my dislike of WoW, but because of my desire for something beyond it, and all three of those games look like they will fufill that. all three seem to offer a more dynamic world. 

Originally posted by Flute

It was entertaining
    As for Halo Potter that has potential, but I hate to say it if SoE was in charge well, it would be doomed.  Strength of IP is not enough to save a game from their "creativity" - after all we are talking about the company that bought EQ then fizzled the EQII and "NGE'd" SW:G to obscurity.
    The eventual "WoW killer" will almost certainly be made by Blizzard, and it will build off WoW rather than kill it.  If you are pulling what, a billion a year in subs?, then you can probably afford to have some good people quietly working on the "step up" game.  Seriously if you were sitting on the Harry Potter IP, which game company would you have a chat with - SoE, EAMythic, Blizzard, CCP or someone else?  If it was me I would absolutely go Blizzard - when it comes down to it, they know how to deliver and they really know how to market.
    Another SoE hater I see.

SOE has many good games.  Just like people hate EA but play 80% games made by them... makes me laugh.  I hate SOE, but you have 3 MMORPGs and 2 are SOE.

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

No one seems to understand what makes WoW so popular.  It's not the game, but the fact that it's Blizzard.  Blizzard has an established IP and a very high reputation for quality.  A lot of gamers knew a good idea of what they were getting into when they started WoW.  Picking up another MMO is like diving into the abyss, with unknown quality and unknown lore behind it.   It's a big gamble.  Now that WoW has the momentum it does, people are happy to jump on the bandwagon and play a game that doesn't immediately single you out for ridicule because it's actually popular, as in known outside of the genre popular.

No other developer has the reputation that Blizzard has because no other developer has the leeway from their publisher to take their time and polish their games and do something new.  Instead they get rushed out the door so some money can be earned and the game feels like a big "meh".  The only people that could hope to have the kind of success of WoW would be Bungee (presuming they stick to their development philosophy).  FFXI has enjoyed decent success, but none of Squenix's IPs have any strength and the fanbase is relatively narrow.

Everyone is trying to copy the WoW formula, but unless a very long term plan is embarked upon (releasing a few differerent, high quality games around the same IP, then finally the MMO based on that IP), no one is going to have any success by merely copying WoW's mechanics.

Originally posted by Mylon

No one seems to understand what makes WoW so popular.  It's not the game, but the fact that it's Blizzard.  Blizzard has an established IP and a very high reputation for quality.  A lot of gamers knew a good idea of what they were getting into when they started WoW.  Picking up another MMO is like diving into the abyss, with unknown quality and unknown lore behind it.   It's a big gamble.  Now that WoW has the momentum it does, people are happy to jump on the bandwagon and play a game that doesn't immediately single you out for ridicule because it's actually popular, as in known outside of the genre popular.
    People tend to follow and never lead, that's the big issue with WoW.  No one dear say anything because it's the "best thing ever made since they put the pocket in the pita"  And with it's massive amount of users, they pretty much can say this is what we want and people will automaticaly accept it without thinking twice.   Even if the updates are nothing but crap and pure Battleground.  I remember when a game didn't really have PvP and that was awesome, now if it doesn't, the game won't even last.
    No other developer has the reputation that Blizzard has because no other developer has the leeway from their publisher to take their time and polish their games and do something new.  Instead they get rushed out the door so some money can be earned and the game feels like a big "meh".  The only people that could hope to have the kind of success of WoW would be Bungee (presuming they stick to their development philosophy).  FFXI has enjoyed decent success, but none of Squenix's IPs have any strength and the fanbase is relatively narrow.
    And if you take TOO long, people will soon forget about your game and move on, even if it IS Blizzard.
    Everyone is trying to copy the WoW formula, but unless a very long term plan is embarked upon (releasing a few differerent, high quality games around the same IP, then finally the MMO based on that IP), no one is going to have any success by merely copying WoW's mechanics.
    You mean everyone's trying to copy Everquest formula...  People tend to forget that EQ came out WAY before WoW was even an idea.

• zergwatchzergwatch Member Posts: 5

Wow, weird. I was looking to see who linked in to me and saw this thread (sorry for the necro, but I never saw this one before).

It really wasn't a rant since I think when you rant, you usually have some sort of stance your taking or point you're trying to defend.    It was more just humorous nonsense about the never ending "WoW Killer" debate that just doesn't seem to go away.

I moved my blog here recently, so you can see my latest rants :)     Was a good read to see everyone's input.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Gime

Originally posted by Flute

It was entertaining
    Another SoE hater I see.

SOE has many good games.  Just like people hate EA but play 80% games made by them... makes me laugh.  I hate SOE, but you have 3 MMORPGs and 2 are SOE.

Such a wonderful dream youlive in.  I can name three SOE games off the top of my head that they chopped up the system for in order to "WoW-ify" them.  I'd say that their pattern of "act first, think later" could be why so many people hate them.  Also, while I understand their desire to make a game as good as WoW on the charts....I'm not sure I understand the business model they have.

Frankly, if I wanted to play a game "like" WoW, I'd be playing WoW.  The whole "they have more money and, thus, more customer service agents and programmers and designers and developers" thing pretty much kills the debate on my end.  Now...when SOE decides to actually do something different than copy that model (which has only found true success in ONE game on their list) then I'll be interested in hearing all about what they are doing for my market.

That aside, I also think anyone who attributes WoW's SUPREME success (not just basic success...AKA: not the first few million, but the 10 million they have now) on anything more than pop culture and ease of access is a fool.  WoW plays on machines that can't even run EQ.  It would seem to me that simply being accessible by ALL PC users is doing more for their market share than simply being "good".  Now, the fact they are the most polished, most updated, most informant, and most observant company on the market certainly helps....in fact its the whole reason they got those first subs.  But I stand by the fact that they have this many players for no other reason than the fact its that good AND plays on the junkiest machine known to man.