Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Razer DeathAdder Mouse Review

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Staff Writer Jeremy Star is at it again as he gives us his review of Razer's DeathAdder Mouse. A preview of the review is below:

Another month, another mouse! Perhaps we should start a "Mouse a Month" club or something. This month Razer was nice enough to send us their new gaming mouse to review. Will it stand up to the competition? Will I like it as much as their Krait mouse? Will Harry Potter die this summer? Read on to find out!

The Razer DeathAdder is an optical mouse with a USB connection. (Honestly, does anyone use a PS2 mouse anymore?) It features Zero-acoustic Teflon feet, an 1800 DPI 3G Infrared sensor, and a 1ms response time.

The DeathAdder uses a new kind of optical sensor to track movement, something Razer calls the 3G Infrared Sensor. In a nutshell, it's an optical engine that uses infrared light instead of the old visible red LED light we're all used to. This allows it to exceed the previous DPI limit for optical mice, and offer us a nice 1800 DPI score.

You can view the full review by clicking here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• phosphorosphosphoros Member Posts: 512
    Good review.

No pics though?  How big is it compared to a Logitech G5 or what doodads does it come with?

I guess I could go to some other site and get pics but some pics here would be nice. 

• A_TrainA_Train Member Posts: 73
    Sorry if I just missed it, but there is no mention of price?  I think any hardware review should include the pricing of the hardware as either a pro or con.  If there is no mention of the price factor I'm afraid this review is flawed and incomplete.
  • Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

mices? I don't need no stinkin' mices!

All the input device companies can piss off for all I care...especially Logitech. They release a new mouse every other week and yet...their trackball line has remained the same for like 2-3 years. Wish us Trackball users would get some attention. I've bought like 3 or 4 Cordless Trackman Wheels (thumb operated)...just wish they would update with a few of the newer technologies (Bluetooth, rechargeable base station, more advanced control schemes).

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358
    i enjoy my razer copperhead...

its so fast^^ however, some of the buttons are ruff to reach, they also need to introduce the ability to move the mousewheel to the side for xtra buttons.
  • BystroemBystroem Member Posts: 9
    Best mouse ever.
  • Windrider30Windrider30 Member Posts: 41
    I so agree with thor why use a mouse when a trackball works so much better no need for a pad, running out of room or annoying cords getting tangled, its SO hard to find track balls these days and the prices are a little exspensive for equipment that havent hanged for the last 2 or 3 years. bring on the new track balls..my desk is to small for a friggin mouse!
  • delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by Windrider30
    I so agree with thor why use a mouse when a trackball works so much better no need for a pad, running out of room or annoying cords getting tangled, its SO hard to find track balls these days and the prices are a little exspensive for equipment that havent hanged for the last 2 or 3 years. bring on the new track balls..my desk is to small for a friggin mouse!image

I really love trackballs for anything except gaming. For games, especially ones that require a lot of precision, I find mice easier to use, but I'm sure that if you really love trackballs, you could get used to them in gaming.

Currently I'm using a Red Plasma Diamondback and I love it. After having on the fly sensitivity adjustment, I consider the lack of it a deal-breaker on the Death Adder. Not only does the mouse cost close to twice as much, but in performance, there's virtually no difference. I do find that the mouse buttons press a tad too easily at times, but that's something you can get used to once you've used the mouse awhile. Having to go through menus to adjust the sensitivity, however, really bites. There are times when you want to slow things down a bit, or speed them up, and you NEED to be able to do that on the fly. Not including a button for that was a HUGE mistake, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many other consumers who have bought the DeathAdder. I'm glad our reviewer here at MMORPG.com doesn't find it to be a deal-breaker, but I'd be willing to bet he's in the minority. Most people who game a lot know just how important on the fly sensitivity truly is.

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by delateur

Originally posted by Windrider30
    I so agree with thor why use a mouse when a trackball works so much better no need for a pad, running out of room or annoying cords getting tangled, its SO hard to find track balls these days and the prices are a little exspensive for equipment that havent hanged for the last 2 or 3 years. bring on the new track balls..my desk is to small for a friggin mouse!image

I really love trackballs for anything except gaming. For games, especially ones that require a lot of precision, I find mice easier to use, but I'm sure that if you really love trackballs, you could get used to them in gaming.

I've been using a thumb operated (versus a finger operated) trackball for the past 10 years. I play mostly MMO's now but in the past I've played FPS's and RTS's and was able to compete in the local lan scene. I switched to trackballs when my deskspace in college wasn't great...and I haven't looked back since. Using a trackball and a non-standard keyboard setup (asdf instead of wasd) for gaming means no one messes with my pc while at lan parties. :)

and I totally agree with Windrider's comment about Trackball prices...I've replaced my trackballs several times (mostly for aesthetic reasons...the paint wears off on the top of the trackball housing) and the price was always high...despite the fact that an equivalent mouse is priced in the sub $20 range and both are several years old in design.

Yes, that's the kind I liked, also, the thumb operated kind. It was pretty awesome to be able to rest your hand in one position, and know that you're perfectly positioned for clicking when you need to. I've tried the other designs, but the thumb-operated always worked best for me. If I didn't have enough space for an eXact pad from Razer for my mouse, I think I'd be teaching myself how to play games with a trackball, too. :)

• DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79
    I've tried to use a trackball, was just a no-go for me. I love my Copperhead more than anything. 
  • DamitmanDamitman Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Thanks for the review. Good job! Some pics and a link is what we are all use to, but it's ok. not thing a google search can't fix.

Believe it or not some of use really do appreciate your hard work.

Thanks

“They must find it difficult . . .
    Those who have taken authority as the truth,
    Rather then truth as the authority.”
    [url=http://www.planetside-universe.com/character-5428197983261370913.php][img]http://sig.planetside-universe.com/5428197983261370913.png[/img][/url]

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364
    Nice review.

I loooooooove this mouse.

Looking for something new.

• DroniacDroniac Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by delateur

Currently I'm using a Red Plasma Diamondback and I love it. After having on the fly sensitivity adjustment, I consider the lack of it a deal-breaker on the Death Adder. Not only does the mouse cost close to twice as much, but in performance, there's virtually no difference. I do find that the mouse buttons press a tad too easily at times, but that's something you can get used to once you've used the mouse awhile. Having to go through menus to adjust the sensitivity, however, really bites. There are times when you want to slow things down a bit, or speed them up, and you NEED to be able to do that on the fly. Not including a button for that was a HUGE mistake, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many other consumers who have bought the DeathAdder. I'm glad our reviewer here at MMORPG.com doesn't find it to be a deal-breaker, but I'd be willing to bet he's in the minority. Most people who game a lot know just how important on the fly sensitivity truly is.

Not true - performance of the DeathAdder is noticeably better than that of a Diamondback mouse. For proof, read this. Additionally the diamondback doesn't have easily usable side-buttons and appears to be a tad smaller. It's also not nearly as comfortable for right-handed users, because the DeathAdder is designed for right-handed gamers, whereas the Diamondback can be used by anyone. Not being able to adjust your sensitivity on-the-fly with the DeathAdder is again FALSE. You can change your sensitivity on the fly, you cannot change DPI setting on the fly (unless you bind it to a button with the drivers, in which case you can).

Also I'm willing to bet that the reviewer is not in the minority by saying he doesn't care much for changing DPI settings on the fly, especially when changing sensitivity on-the-fly is still included. My current Logitech G5 has buttons for changing your DPI setting whenever you want, but do you ever really use it? Hell No. I just set it to 2000 DPI the entire time, when gaming there is never a need to change it down. Only perhaps if you go off to do some photo-editing work and the like, in which case the DeathAdder simply allows you to change sensitivity on the fly.. so you don't need to bother with accuracy-decreasing DPI changes. Additionally, most people who game a lot know just how useless changing sensitivity on the fly really is: almost no one ever does it, simply because it's far better to get used to a single sensitivity - otherwise you screw up your aim. Furthermore if you resort to changing DPI rather than sensitivity your accuracy will suffer tremendously (because high-DPI mice perform worse at low DPI settings).

A bit more on-topic: finally a mouse review I can agree with. The DeathAdder definitely is the best mouse on the market right now.
  • m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460
    How much are these bad boys?

-edit -I found it, ~$50

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• fantomas9fantomas9 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Thankyou for taking into consideration us lefties in your review!
  • Gre4tGre4t Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Droniac

My current Logitech G5 has buttons for changing your DPI setting whenever you want, but do you ever really use it? Hell No.
    On my G5 I use it a lot actually.

Originally posted by Droniac

Not true - performance of the DeathAdder is noticeably better than that of a Diamondback mouse. For proof, read this. Additionally the diamondback doesn't have easily usable side-buttons and appears to be a tad smaller. It's also not nearly as comfortable for right-handed users, because the DeathAdder is designed for right-handed gamers, whereas the Diamondback can be used by anyone. Not being able to adjust your sensitivity on-the-fly with the DeathAdder is again FALSE. You can change your sensitivity on the fly, you cannot change DPI setting on the fly (unless you bind it to a button with the drivers, in which case you can).

Also I'm willing to bet that the reviewer is not in the minority by saying he doesn't care much for changing DPI settings on the fly, especially when changing sensitivity on-the-fly is still included. My current Logitech G5 has buttons for changing your DPI setting whenever you want, but do you ever really use it? Hell No. I just set it to 2000 DPI the entire time, when gaming there is never a need to change it down. Only perhaps if you go off to do some photo-editing work and the like, in which case the DeathAdder simply allows you to change sensitivity on the fly.. so you don't need to bother with accuracy-decreasing DPI changes. Additionally, most people who game a lot know just how useless changing sensitivity on the fly really is: almost no one ever does it, simply because it's far better to get used to a single sensitivity - otherwise you screw up your aim. Furthermore if you resort to changing DPI rather than sensitivity your accuracy will suffer tremendously (because high-DPI mice perform worse at low DPI settings).

A bit more on-topic: finally a mouse review I can agree with. The DeathAdder definitely is the best mouse on the market right now.

Whoops, I guess I misunderstood OTF Sensitivity versus DPI, I thought they were one and the same, but apparently not! Everyone's hands are a bit different in shape, but I would have to agree that if I could change the sensitivity on the fly, then I would completely love the DeathAdder, because of everything the reviewer has mentioned. While I doubt I would be able to notice the DPI differences myself, I'm sure they are better on the DeathAdder. I don't find the Diamondback to be at all awkward to use, even though it's designed for either hand, but again, contouring for one specific hand has to be nice, just like I appreciated my right handed trackball back in the day. (I think that's the last specific hand input device I used...) Anyway, sorry for my confusion. If you can adjust sensitivity on the fly, then I would be willing to bet that the DeathAdder is the single best mouse in creation for all right-handed people, just based on how much I love my Diamondback.

Edit: When I mention the OTF Sensitivity adjustment, this assumes that I don't have to lose one of the default features for the buttons (I like the forward and back buttons on the side for web browsing, for instance, and wouldn't want to give up either of them just so I could have OTF Sensitivity adjustments). I suppose I could have been more explicit in my original message. I knew that I could change any button and give it the OTF Sensitivity adjustment feature, but my point was I would not want to change any of the default settings to do so, which to me, is the same as not including it at all. That's why I like having the extra two buttons on the Diamondback. One allows for the OTF adjustment, and the other, umm... I don't think I even use it right now, but it's there if I ever want to.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Hmm maybe time to switch back to razor again :)

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• ThrompThromp Member Posts: 1
    Did you have a chance to try out macros at all?  Does it suffer from the same slow macro excecution speed problem that the Diamondback and Habu do?  For those unfamiler with the problem multi-key macros are pretty slow, slower than you could hit the keys manually which kind of defeats the purpose now doesn't it?  The problem was noted in this review at http://www.dansdata.com/diamondback.htm

And, of course, you can assign keystrokes and macros to any of the Diamondback's buttons. You can set buttons to do one thing when you press them and another when you release them; macro settings also take note of when you press keys and when you release them, so keyboard combos are easy. The macro playback speed seems to be fixed at a distinctly non-lightning pace, though. The first action happens immediately (so if you bind Ctrl-S to a button, for instance, you'll get your save operation the moment you press the button), but extra keystrokes come at a measured pace.

Other than the macro problem Razerback mice are great however their support is among the worst in the industry.  They take the "send you stupid questions unrelated to your problem until you eventually give up and go away" approach.  I've tried to get them to address the slow macro execution problem and seven!(7) emails later they refuse to even take 30 seconds out of their day to try to replicate it on their side.

Could you see if the DeathAdder has the same problem?  Bind a mouse button to the macro 1 2 3 4 5.  Go into notepad and hit that mouse button a bunch of times.  Does 12345123451234512345123451234512345 pop out instantly or are you yawning as you watch the text scroll across your screen for a few seconds.
  • NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90
    LOL  

It's so funny seeing people complain about no pics, no price listed.... This is an MMORPG site, not Amazon.com.    If it'll help, I'll include the Amazon.com and Razor pages so you can much more easily get to the prices and pictures.

ROFL

www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Infrared-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B000MF67VO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4111360-6578849

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

www.razerzone.com/index.php

And here's a Google search for various online prices:

www.google.com/products
  • TLa77TLa77 Member Posts: 4
    As I was after the new mouse, reading this article lead me to buying my own DeathAdder.

The difference between my old Logitech MX610 and Razer Deathadder is HUGE. DA is just proper mouse, without too much of those laser beams etc..the DA is way more agile than the MX610 is. It weighs about half of Logitech etc..

The DeathAdder is full value for it's price.

Rating: 5/5

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor with Antec Kühler 920 liquid cooling
    Memory: 2x4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1 Gb TOP
    Enclosure: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    PSU: Enermax MODU82+ 625W
    No rotating HDD at my mouse at all, all goes on SSD.

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I recently upgraded my logitech G7 with a DeathAdder as the G7's battery life were beginning to diminish. (This also occurred on my old G7...after about a year of use, they only last about half as long. Thankfully logitech's return policy is excellent so I got another one, but felt it was time for a change.)

So far, the DeathAdder exceeds my expectations in every field. When I first opened the box and pulled the mouse out, the weight was absolutely amazing. It's REALLY light...

The only gripe with the DeathAdder are with the mouse feet. The shell of the DA has a slight curve on the bottom of the mouse, and with such small mouse feet, it actually scrapes on flat surfaces. This is a known problem, if you contact Razer they will be able to send you some replacements.

Other than that, the mouse is great! Performance is wonderful whether using high-sensitive twitch based gaming, or low-sensitive tactical shooting.
  • Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

Razer recently sent word of a motherboad USB issue and the subsequent firmware upgrade for the Razer DeathAdder.

Check it out HERE. 

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well despite your LOL, including pictures and at least price range in a hardware article is generally what most people expect.

Leaving it out puts the review as unfinished.  Value compared to the competition should never be brushed over.  At ~50 this mouse stacks up very nice with the competition.

As an example, I read a very nice review on a keyboard, only to find out the darn thing was ridiculously priced, yet not even mentioned by the author.   Needless to say, no matter how nice the keyboard, it's price put it out of the range of 99% of us. 

Nice review.