Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let them kill themselves

I just finished reading the article about the chinese guy who died after a long gaming stent.  I heard a lot of people comment that "someone should have stopped him." 

Do you support a person's right to suicide?

Vote/Discuss

Comments

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

I wouldn't really consider this suicide in the traditional sense, seems like the guy had some sort of addiction problems and I can't say anyone has ever considered gaming themselves to death as an actual means of suicide.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

It costs money to clean up after the dead and dispose of bodies, hell no i don't support some jackass killing themselves. If they're alive they have to work and/or spend money and all the money they spend helps expand businesses and the economy. All a dead guy does is cost governments/states and businesses money they would otherwise not have to spend that could go to much more productive things.

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

Who says you have the  right to kill yourself?

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    Originally posted by WantsumBier

Me, why the hell should anyone else tell me what to do with my own life? you may persuade me to not do so but you sure as hell cant tell me i cant do it.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by grimweeper

Me, why the hell should anyone else tell me what to do with my own life? you may persuade me to not do so but you sure as hell cant tell me i cant do it.

Attempted or failed suicide can be prosecuted as attempted murder.

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

It is illegal in every state, just like driving under the influence.  Not everyone follows the rules, but when (or if) you get caught you can end up in jail.

There are a hell of a lot of costs involved with cleaning up a suicide.

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• ntcrawlerntcrawler Member Posts: 329

There could be proper ways to commit suicide if it was legalized. I'm sure some researchers would gladly inject you with poison so they could use your body for research. Let them kill themselves.

It is illegal in every state, just like driving under the influence.  Not everyone follows the rules, but when (or if) you get caught you can end up in jail.

I know but what im saying is why should anyone tell me its illegal if i despise my own life just let me end it i dont want to live anymore and if anything just take the money its costs to cleanup after someone from their bank account or sell their possesions to cover the costs.  Im not going to kill myself but i dont believe making suicide illegal is right, i also dont believe suicide is right but thats not the point, yes you can persuade me not to do it but you sure as hell shouldnt be able to tell me its a crime.

• KaabulkKaabulk Member Posts: 670

Yeah I agree, What will the world be without emo kids commiting suicide? Plus if my life was truly as horrible as a emo kid who lives in a mansion then yea I would attempt to kill myself... I lived in a ghetto for 4 years (8 - 12 years old) and I didn't feel like killing myself... In fact that was the most memorable time of my life.... I guess the richer you are the harder happiness is to find. The constitution gives us the right to the pursuit of happiness, but what if we can't find it then what? Just keep looking for a miracle to relieve you, or end your life quickly and hope theres a happy afterlife, if not then you took the risk instead of waiting to see if there would be a happy ending.

Originally posted by Kaabulk

Yeah I agree, What will the world be without emo kids commiting suicide? Plus if my life was truly as horrible as a emo kid who lives in a mansion then yea I would attempt to kill myself... I lived in a ghetto for 4 years (8 - 12 years old) and I didn't feel like killing myself... In fact that was the most memorable time of my life.... I guess the richer you are the harder happiness is to find. The constitution gives us the right to the pursuit of happiness, but what if we can't find it then what? Just keep looking for a miracle to relieve you, or end your life quickly and hope theres a happy afterlife, if not then you took the risk instead of waiting to see if there would be a happy ending.

I disagree, if I was rich I would be hell of a lot happier.

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

im just glad when i get a happy ending anymore. so many people just dont do the job right.

suicide in any for is someones own choice plain simple. i like thinning the heard. people who arent mentally out there is my main point but if yous looney then its hard to say. but if your in your right mind and cant suck it up and deal with what life throws at you your weak and shallow. please erase yourself.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Kaabulk

In pretty much any religion of wich I am aware, suicide is a big nono, as in eternal damnation in hell or whatever place said religion has made up.

Unless of course yer a muslim, then the option is always there to become a suicide bomber, guaranteed nice afterlife, and you do not have to put up with this one.

Hmm wonder why they seem to have no problem recruiting..

But my real point on this topic.

Your life, your choices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Suicide is a great option and accepting it as an option can be very liberating. On the other hand it's rarely the right choice. There are almost always alternatives.

• silesdinesilesdine Member Posts: 41

die

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Society is far to lenient on the suicidal. I say bring in capital punishment for any caught attempting it!

• SpysSpys Member Posts: 111

no it's legal, it just takes a lot of juridical steps (at least in the netherlands don't know a lot of the law in the U.S.).

Originally posted by EggFtegg

Society is far to lenient on the suicidal. I say bring in capital punishment for any caught attempting it!

thats actually what happened in the 15th century in england if im not mistaken, you failed to comit suicide you got hung

Originally posted by EggFtegg

thats actually what happened in the 15th century in england if im not mistaken, you failed to comit suicide you got hung

Sounds like a nice loop hole for followers of religions that frown on suicide.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I think that everyone is in control of their own lives, including the right to end it.  It seems that many people regard suicide as a taboo, such that death, especially self inflicted, is the worst thing that could happen to someone, but I can think of a great many things worse than death. I don't think death would be bad, not good, but not bad, it will be well... nothing, when you are no longer conscience it is impossible to feel anything.

Suicide is also empowering, letting you choose how and when you die, something I don't think anyone has the right to decide for you.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• DeatrixDeatrix Member Posts: 47

I have to say that if you want to ice yourself go for it, just dont pull a bunch of people into it with you (think of how the bus driver will feel after you throw yourself in front of his bus thats rollin along at 55 mph?). dont make a huge drama out of it, and try to grab some lasting bit of attention either, like it will matter anyways when you're 6ft under.  and dont screw it up, because some of these guys are right, it is illegal and if you are just doing it because you are a sissy then you will end up in jail. If your a nutcase then its a different story.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by CactusmanX

I think that everyone is in control of their own lives, including the right to end it.  It seems that many people regard suicide as a taboo, such that death, especially self inflicted, is the worst thing that could happen to someone, but I can think of a great many things worse than death. I don't think death would be bad, not good, but not bad, it will be well... nothing, when you are no longer conscience it is impossible to feel anything.
    Suicide is also empowering, letting you choose how and when you die, something I don't think anyone has the right to decide for you.

Ehem. Commiting suicide is rarely a concous decision. It's more like an irrational state of mind that can be avoided.

So usually when someone commits suicide (even when thoroughly planned) it's not really because they have no other option.

But if it's a rational decision it can indeed be very, very liberating. To be prepared to do it without actually doing it. You've got nothing to lose so life is wide open then. Great state of mind for travelling.

Oh and it appears there actually aren't any fun ways to die. Bummer.

• Originally posted by MadAce

Originally posted by CactusmanX

Ehem. Commiting suicide is rarely a concous decision. It's more like an irrational state of mind that can be avoided.

So usually when someone commits suicide (even when thoroughly planned) it's not really because they have no other option.

But if it's a rational decision it can indeed be very, very liberating. To be prepared to do it without actually doing it. You've got nothing to lose so life is wide open then. Great state of mind for travelling.

Oh and it appears there actually aren't any fun ways to die. Bummer.

Not even having sex to death??? There go my retirement plans.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I don't fear death. I fear the pain that proceeds death.

If I were to become crippled to the point of uselessness or ill in a manner that would turn the last few days / months / years of my life into unbearable torture, I would definitely end it. Hell, If I knew my dog was in a condition like that I would have it put to sleep. Why should a dog have more dignity in death than a human being?

As for people playing games or doing drugs unto death....

1) In most cases like this the individuals are not actively pursuing death.

2) In almost all cases of addiction, the person with the addiction is making at least one other person miserable by their addiction. This means that there may be some unforeseen ramifications with non-intervention.

What you seem to be asking is if we should just let addictions run their logical course and provide no assistance at all. I don't agree with that. Yes, only an addict can decide they want out. But to not provide a way out if they should so choose is completely immoral.

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

It is your own life and if you wish to end it then that is your own right.

I think its an extremely selfish, self-absorbed thing to do... but hey

Although, i think the original poster completly misunderstands what constitutes as suicide if he thinks it is being so absorbed in playing a game that he exhausts himself to death... as opposed to doing something with the expressed intention of killing yourself.