Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft PvP... And You!

LewkasLewkas Member CommonPosts: 48

I was just wondering how satisfied other players are with the current PvP in WoW. In my opinion it has a wonderful combat system, and some great aspects for PvP.

With new games coming out that are specifically looking to provide the community with new PvP (RvR) content, how satisfied are you with the PvP content WoW currently contains?

Lewk- Healer of Legacy Gareth
McDee- Spiritmaster of Maelstrom Percival
Murgu- Skald of Mordred

Comments

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

I don't have anything to complain about, really, other than maybe I should've rolled Horde instead. "L2P, Alliance!" /cry (No, I'm not here to troll - you know the deal)

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I would have been satisfied if there was more PvP content.  Also, there should have been a bigger focus on world pvp with the expansion.  Putting up shitty world pvp objectives that nobody doesn't want to do was a waste.  What was the point of removing DKs?  Raiding capital cities barely happened, most people never wanted to come without an incentive.  They could've used that time making more BGs and arenas instead of those fake ass world pvp objectives (though, Halaa was fun IF people were doing it).  I also would've expected more new BGs...  How many dungeons did the PvE guys get with the expansion?  We got ONE BG and TWO arenas?  Yeah, they gave us one more arena with a patch, but didn't they add 3 instances or someshit?  That shit got boring and played out.  PvPers have been doing, basically,  the same shit for so long. 

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Haven't played WoW since pre-BC, so things may have changed. I always found AV and AB to be a lot of fun though. Though the PvP ranking system was little more than a time intensive grind, PvP did not lose its luster for me until it reached the point where players with high-end raid gear could dominate scenarios regardless of skill or strategy. If they had focused on a little more cohesion between PvP and PvE, and PvP somehow impacted the game world a little more than, "We won or we lost, let's queue up again" I think it would've had a little more longevity. Perfectly fun for people like me who are casual PvPers, but frustrating otherwise. Again, things very well may have changed with BC, but by that point I had my fun with WoW and moved on.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by Lewkas

I was just wondering how satisfied other players are with the current PvP in WoW. In my opinion it has a wonderful combat system, and some great aspects for PvP.
    With new games coming out that are specifically looking to provide the community with new PvP (RvR) content, how satisfied are you with the PvP content WoW currently contains?

For me WoW has the best overall PvP mechanics of the current crop of MMO's, including the PvP centric ones like GW.

The following is my opinion, no I have not played all MMO's just the main 1's like EQ1/2, EvE, DAoC, VG and AO.

When I hit an opponent it feels like I hit him, he reacts in just the right way, not some basic blood spray and an "ouch" sound like from most games.

You have to be on your toes as you can die in a matter of seconds if you not paying attention.

Character controls are the best of any MMO, fast, fluid and responsive.

Classes are well balanced, as long as you dont expect a healing spec priest to kill a PVP spec warrior.

And ofc great animations.

And its only goona get better with WotLK.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by cupertino

Originally posted by Lewkas

For me WoW has the best overall PvP mechanics of the current crop of MMO's, including the PvP centric ones like GW.

The following is my opinion, no I have not played all MMO's just the main 1's like EQ1/2, EvE, DAoC, VG and AO.

When I hit an opponent it feels like I hit him, he reacts in just the right way, not some basic blood spray and an "ouch" sound like from most games.

You have to be on your toes as you can die in a matter of seconds if you not paying attention.

Character controls are the best of any MMO, fast, fluid and responsive.

Classes are well balanced, as long as you dont expect a healing spec priest to kill a PVP spec warrior.

And ofc great animations.

And its only goona get better with WotLK.

Agree. WoW's controls are highly responsive and - despite the outdated graphics - animations are smooth and get the job done. Besides, I don't care if the graphics are outdated - I like 'em anyways. I'd rather play a cartoony game with good, flowing animations than a game that requires NASA's computers while trying to look realistic.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I had a good time with PvP. HOwever over a while it just felt like yet another grind. My biggest problem is that winning or losing didnt mean anything to the game. I like daoc for that aspect.

Scale of 1 to 10, I give WoW PvP a 6.5

Torrential

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

I think PvP in WoW is good when you are taking on people around your general level, always a bit annoying if you're like level 25 and a level 70 passes by and one-shots you.  But I guess in any open PvP game it is something you cannot avoid.

• GalaxiacelesGalaxiaceles Member Posts: 154

it's good ... but useless ... aka you don't pvp for castles ... territory .. or anyting remotely fun ....

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

BGs are a lot of fun for me, but it does seem like a game within a game, not a meaningful part of the bigger picture.  Still, I like getting to take my MMO characters into a fast-paced PvP minigame instead of having to play a completely different game to get that fix.   I have to agree with the previous posters that the fluidity of the controls is very good and responsive.   I do look forward to a game where PvP means something in the larger scheme, though.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I've always preferred DAoC's take on pvp.  You can not only sack a keep but your guild could then claim it as well (flying your banner on the ramparts).  Stealing an enemy realm's relic empowers everyone of your realm with a buff where ever they are.

WoW's pvp is ok, has no impact on the world as a whole.  When they "fixed" the honor system they, in my opinion, cheapened it.  Before being able to ride the pvp epic mount, wield the epic weapons and/or wear the epic armor was a reward for dedication and hard work.  Now, anyone can get all that if they save up the points.  The move was to make casual players happy while the hardcore types were off getting "more epic" gear from Outland.

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by DrowNoble

I've always preferred DAoC's take on pvp.  You can not only sack a keep but your guild could then claim it as well (flying your banner on the ramparts).  Stealing an enemy realm's relic empowers everyone of your realm with a buff where ever they are.
    WoW's pvp is ok, has no impact on the world as a whole.  When they "fixed" the honor system they, in my opinion, cheapened it.  Before being able to ride the pvp epic mount, wield the epic weapons and/or wear the epic armor was a reward for dedication and hard work.  Now, anyone can get all that if they save up the points.  The move was to make casual players happy while the hardcore types were off getting "more epic" gear from Outland.

Yea I definitely agree that the change in PvP rewards took the esteem out of having the gear.  But, as a casual player myself, I likely never would have had the PvP items I've picked up.  So, I'm pretty pleased with the change.  I can see how people who worked up to high ranks would have been utterly pissed.

• silverqsilverq Member Posts: 52

PvP was fun at times. In the end however, there were just too many things I didn't like. The honor system for one - it's just wrong that you had to compete against your own faction; there was much more hate inside the Alliance than there was towards the Horde. Grinding reputation sucked (well, I didn't really bother, queue times were just too long). The whole resilience thing was a step in the wrong direction. And then there were those little things that just weren't fun nor added in any way to the game, like farming soul shards for PvP.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

PvP was the main reason on my list of why i left the game. Although i cosider myself a casual gamer that stood no chance what so ever to attain rank 14 with the old pvp system, I still despise them for removing the system all together. Alot of people burned hours upon hours in the BGs to get that rank. Blizzard should have just made ranks permanent and work like the lvling system(ala DaoC). This would have made more sense and given casual gamers the same opportunity to aquire good equipment, at the same time allowing all the time spent by hardcore pvpers to not go to waste. I did't think blizz would go that route though. They make great games but I think they are always trying to be innovative even when it doesn't really work.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

On a scale of 1-10 I give WOW a big fat...

lmao

WOW PVP?

There's more rewarding PVP in a game of checkers.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Ultimately everything WoW do is a grind, its all a big time sink that have no impact  on the world. Only thing i like is the animation where you can see clearly when you've miss or hit and also parry or block. Either than that im waiting for AoC or War...

RIP Orc Choppa

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

The act of PvP'ing in WoW has no meaning aside from fun and some gear rewards, most have issue with that side of WoW PvP.. they enjoy the PvP but lose interest due to feeling theres no meaning behind it.

....but....

the act of Fighting in WoW is somthing else, its the best I have experienced in terms of pace, fluidity, repsonsiveness, strategy and teamwork (if you in a good group).

I hope WotLK adds in the "reason to PvP" the devs say who ever controls the PvP zone in northrend will effect the world.... lets see shall we.

• Mcdouble07Mcdouble07 Member Posts: 5

I still remember before Alterac Valley was released and the hype of seige weapons. Hopefully, with what they have said about the PVP in WOTLK, isnt just a carrot on a stick. Dont get me wrong pvp is pretty cool, but as said. meaningless. ITs also the most frustrating part of the game, along with the most fun, if in a good group.

There is nothing worse than AB weekend, playing against team after team of Premades. But that all changes today doesnt it? Or has the team matching been active already?

• GurkzGurkz Member Posts: 126

Im sorry but WoW goes down in my book as the worest pvp system/game I have played.  World pvp is dead, has been since the BGs.  BGs have no point what so ever and really are just a graphic video game set up of "king of the hill". and "capature the flag" or mix both together.  AV has 10+ people atleast standing in a cave jumping up and down.  The Arena is a very easy thing to do with the right class set up.  Oh and whats the great new point of the arena?  Oh thats right to collect more lo0tz!! 

I had a short bit of fun but its just a matter of time before you find out that everyhing you do in the game is to collect TeH Uberz Lo0Tz!!  I would of played longer if there was some kind of point to winning stuff and doing well at pvp.

Sig by WhiskeyJack1

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I kind of preferred the BG's before the cross-realm battlegroups were added.  Don't get me wrong I hated the 3-4 hour queue times for AV.  However, once we did get it people fought for every single scrap of land.  Since they wait so long to get in they wanted to win... badly.  I can remember 20 min fights just over a tower.  An hour long stand at Drek's where we held off 30 alliance while our offense tagged stormpike and stonehearth graveyards.

Now it's just "zerg their general and if we lose queue back up" mentality.

Also back then a lot of the same people queued up for particular BG's, made it seem like you had a second guild with all the familiar faces you'd see.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

I really loved playing battlegrounds as I levelled. However there are some aspects of WoW PvP that really piss me off.

- Low level battlegrounds are currently far too heavily dominated by twinks

- High level battlegrounds are dominated by gear gained from arenas not battlegrounds

- The best gear comes from arenas. However the game is still balanced around battleground pvp, not arenas. Hence it's far more easy to some classes (warriors, paladins, locks) to get access to good pvp gear than others (e.g. hunters).

- Flying mounts allow people to skip a large amount of pvp when they don't feel like it. If you play on a pvp server you shouldn' t be able to turn off pvp by hopping onto a flying mount.

• CorodylCorodyl Member Posts: 122
    Roll on War/TCoS/Fury. Sick of the wacked out class balance in WoW, and with each patch the rich just keep getting richer. Seen the buffs rogues are getting in 2.3? or huntards?

Left out a point in my earlier list:

- The best way to earn honour and get PvP rewards is to engage in PvE in a place called Alterac Valley. Why isn't actual PvP rewarded in this game?

Originally posted by Carufin

Get real, loser.

Has it ever occurred to you that:

- not everyone plays the game for the same reasons you do e.g. some people want to have fun, and enjoy competing on level terms.

- not everyone has a full array of high level characters spanning multiple acounts

- it's amazing how quickly disucssions about twinks turn into name-calling. In this case I only mentioned twinks as one of a large number of separate points. And I still got insulted. Think that says a lot about the sort of people who play twinks.

• LewkasLewkas Member CommonPosts: 48

I really wish Blizzard would have focused the PvP  around the "open world". They had such a wonderful "landscape" set up for world PvP. However, like most people, they never implemented anything that gave much incentive to PvP in the open world.

Lewk- Healer of Legacy Gareth
    McDee- Spiritmaster of Maelstrom Percival
    Murgu- Skald of Mordred

• HeokinHeokin Member Posts: 26

OP

PvP in Wow is the most unbalanced play experience you can get.  Its oversimplified combat system make pvp a joke as you only need 3-5 abilities to play feasibly.  The system highly favors rogues, warlocks, hunters and MS warriors  with all other classes taking a distant backseat. BGs are twisted from thier true spirit of the game by the players themselves with WSG/ AB/AV/EOTS being nothing more than AFK fests for lazy players who want thier marks but dont want to work for them.  Arenas did not help much as all that did was focus pvp hardcore players into one area of  play.  Most arena teams are jokes in themselves as well.  Create an arena team and lose matches.... When your rating drops low enough to where you don't get arena points from losing anymore, simply disband the team and reform under a different name.  Challenging, huh? Gearing up for pvp is more of a joke as there is an undeniable "gear gap"  that suppliments player skill for the raw power/stats that the gear provides. Even with equivalent gearing, 90% of the pvp population is rather horrible at it. This comes from the fact that the average wow play is in thier teens and doesnt  have the same level of gaming experience. This makes the common player exceptionally predictable and unchallenging to dispatch.  Overall this is all you will see from wow pvpwise with little variation even on pure pvp servers.