Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pros and Cons

I want to play this MMO but I want to know if it's worthy of my time. What are the Pros and Cons of this MMO

I've heard the battles are really cool.

"Blood drips, Blood sings, Blood devours all and only Blood remains"
www.leadingentertainment.com/index.php

Comments

• GravespinGravespin Member Posts: 66

It should be worth the time it takes to download the Free-Trial 

#LOTRO (Dankman 37 BUR)
    #COV (Bonefish 50 ice/rad)
    Tryed: SWG, Planetside, AA, EQ2, Rappelz, Matrix, DAoC, Ryzom.

Looking forward to:
    1: Planet Side 2
    2: Anarchy-Online 2

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Pros:

-it's really well done game

-nice quests

Cons:

-it lacks the wow factor. For many of us, the game is simply not fun enough or addictive enough. It lacks the reason to keep playing and relog time after time.

-the game lacks end game

PS. This is my personal opinion

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Downloaded the HIgh res trial yesterday, I wanted to see the difference between that and the beta client. Ran into the same problem as I did during the beta and its pretty much the scale by which I measure games. Even though its free, completly free, I can't find the joy in playing it. A few hours, then I just turn it off and play a game I actually enjoy. And if that is what happen when its free, I know there is no reasonto buy it, because I would play it less if I had to pay for it. Happened in LotRO, happened with Vanguard, happened with CoH and Tabula Rasa, and Gods and Heroes and gods knows what. If its free and I still dont want to play it... then there is no reason to buy it.

Do the trial... See if it is more fun than what you normally play, not because its new, but because of its qualities This is where most people fail. They get all excited its a NEW game, mistaking that fact for a FUN game. Scream out how good it is for 3-4 weeks, telling everyone they are wrong. Then the new feeling runs out and they suddenly wonder what the hell they were talking about. I have been involved with computer games since 1973. There are no new games for me, just variations of old ones, something that keeps me very unbiased in evaluations. Not to say I am right, just that my feedback normally fit very well with the majority of the players and very seldom with the two extremes, fan bois and haters. Also, snce I am never a fan boi, never turned into a fanatic about a simple game, I am almost always called a hater

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Harafnir

Do the trial... See if it is more fun than what you normally play, not because its new, but because of its qualities This is where most people fail. They get all excited its a NEW game, mistaking that fact for a FUN game. Scream out how good it is for 3-4 weeks, telling everyone they are wrong. Then the new feeling runs out and they suddenly wonder what the hell they were talking about. I have been involved with computer games since 1973. There are no new games for me, just variations of old ones, something that keeps me very unbiased in evaluations. Not to say I am right, just that my feedback normally fit very well with the majority of the players and very seldom with the two extremes, fan bois and haters. Also, snce I am never a fan boi, never turned into a fanatic about a simple game, I am almost always called a hater
    You're not a hater. You're just burnt out .

Sometimes I had this feeling too, but I'm a bit younger - wasn't even born in 1973. Anyway - try taking a longer rest from games, and you might enjoy them more when you decide to come back :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

pros

the game looks awesome

community is good

cons

the game is simple, even trained monkey could play it

lack of diversity, everyone is the same, looks the same and fights the same

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

game is okay but not addictive

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I give LOTRO a non-enthusiatic "meh". Its ok for a few weeks of minor distraction, but just more of the same.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

PRO's: Good license with story - Good graphics

Con's:  Everything else...lackluster combat, cookie cutter quests, varying performance, awful tech support, bland classes...

But, hey 7 day free trial...try it yourself, and make your own decision...as each of us has our own...

Cheers!

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Pros:  If you "get it" you'll really really like it.

Cons: if you don't get it, you may be filled with such an irrational loathing of the the game that you will waste time says "LoTRO sucks" 40 different ways on message boards devoted to the game, when you could just get on with your life.

Really, go for the trial. Most of the peaple that hang out on this board fall into "love it" or "hate it" camps.  Your not going to get many balanced opinions.  You really do need to check it out for yourself.

The haters have seeming settled on "pretty graphics" and/ or "nice use of lore" but the entire rest of the game sucks.  Don't believe that, it's just their opinion.  Your's may or may not line up with theirs. 

The game is simply not for everyone.  It's fairly low key.  It's a "low magic" sort of setting.  No exagerrated anime style armor or over the top attacks.  Class and race design is also pretty restrained.  If that sounds boring to you, see EQ II (go go pixie death night!) or WoW (watch my hawt elf chick fly around on her cartoon griffon!).  However, if you can appreciate a game that tries to be faithful to LoTR (which is after all, a pretty restrained fantasy setting compared to many authors) and tries for something less over the top "uber magical" than most of what is on the market, you might dig it. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Also important to note...if you want, try one of the more established MMO's that have done everything that LOTRO has done...except better...that also may be a good route..

Most of the games have free trials...so you can't lose...Try each of them out, and see which one fits your fancy...

You never know...