Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It was not easy

MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Letting go of a game that brought a whole new look into gaming has a very special place inside of you.  Most UO vets would agree with me on this too.  That's why it was not easy to let go of this game.  It was always a magical world, UO was actually felt like a world.  Like a place you could get lost in.  It was not about always going out and killing monsters or people.  Many people found their niche going mining all day, even some hired on bodyguards to protect them from any evil doers.  Adventurers were commonly found.  Picking up their shovel and grabbing a handful of treasure maps that they found earlier on.  They would usually gather a large amount of friends to help them down the beasts that wait and lurk upon the shadows of the hidden treasure.  Nothing felt better than accomplishing this procedure, many times you would find vanquish weapons and armor that you had a choice to do with.  Some adventurers would take their found items to their homes that were lost in the woods somewhere, or maybe a home near britain filled with merchants.  The sword would now be in view for all to see.  Many people had a residence in UO, being able to do anything their mind desires.  UO brought a broad view of fun to the table.  Bored on a rainy day?  Britannians would often just decorate their homes, sit and just admire the beauty of a 2d world.  What ever you found to do in UO, will always be remembered as the time you played one of the first and best MMORPG to date.  We sit here and we go through our memories and wish we could go back to that day so we can experience the game as its best.  Screenshot still capture the experience we had.  The huge epic battles between guilds, the newly found monsters, the first item you ever crafted with your craftsman, the very first house you built, the first time you set sail to the sea to find adventure.  I loved my house that I had been living in for years, i loved all of my items I had in it and I loved my character.  However, I did not love what the game has become over the decade.  That day was so hard, but I was able to do it.  I did not watch my house fall the last night of my subscription.  But I could only imagine what it looked like.  There were probably no one camping outside of my house to gather all the items that fell to the ground.  Instead, they just sat.  They sat in a dieing world and eventually decayed into the digital soil.  That day was my coat on a rake.  It was time for me to move on.  I will always remember UO for what it was.  My first MMO and my first love for MMOs.  UO was magic in my eye and always will be.  All my old friends that eventually vanished, will always be remembered.

Thanks for reading this.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Comments

• OGJacksonOGJackson Member UncommonPosts: 23

This is why this game still has its following.

Everyone is hoping that some way some how, it will get changed back to the way it was when it was released 10 years ago.

Its sad to see so many people quit , because it isnt the game that it once was.

I for one remember the hard times when I first stepped into Sosaria and wondered around Britian, wondering what I was supposed to do. The freedom of the game will never be matched by any other game out there.

I havent totally quit, still have my main account open holding all my stuff, as I just cant seem to let it go. I play other games now that have my interests, but nothing can hold my attention like UO did.

Sad to see you go, good luck in whatever you do.

• eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210

I was one of those miners you spoke of.  I loved going out all day and collecting ore, and the rush of seeing if I could make it home with a backpack full of ingots.  I followed the line of houses north of Britain to the mine that had very good ore respawn rates, but also had PKs very often.  After I harvested my resources I would go back to my house on the little beach south of Britain.  It was so fun, and eventually I gained enough strength from mining to fight off PKs.  I would kill them and get different treasure, their treasure, and would put each item in its appropriate box in my house.  My favorite dungeon that I always went to was Deceit, and more specifically than that is the Lich Lord room at the very bottom.  Using my trusty Silver Halbred of Vanquishing I would 1 or 2 shot the liches down there and make fast money...but.... could I make it out alive???  PKs roamed Deceit so very often so I didn't always make it and getting off of Deceit while being dead is no easy task.  On the server I played there were regular PKs there, so I could get ressed just to die again, and it was an island with no town so yeah lol.  Do you remember running around Deceit naked asking for a gate out?  lol good times.  I remember killing one of the most notorious PKs in Deceit once because I cornered him in the Lich room and together with the monster we killed him and I made off with some very nice loot.  Haters be damned, pre-Trammel UO is Godly and if it ever came back I would play it instantly.

--------------------------------
    Darkfall: December or vaporware!

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

I know the way you all feel.  I felt empty the day  I sold my account 4 years ago.  I still can't forget about UO. I think thats why i surf stratics all the time, hoping to see a glimps of a return to the old days. 

On the other hand, Im kinda happy its not back to the way it was.  Its a different life being able to see day light for once  :)  If uo were to return, I'd be stuck in front of the screen again in no time.

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

You should Blog that story...  Im with ya!...  I remember the first days of stepping into the world of UO when it was still run by OSI.  Wit the addition of EA the world has gotten even worse.   Guild has zero organization and there is no challenge anymore..   I logged into the new system with an old account and found my Vanquishing weapon to be not valuble anymore, just a basic weapon with a damage bonus.

One of my fond memories was the first guild I was in and the guild war we were having..  At the time I was new and didnt know anything about guildwars untill one day a Portal opened.... Out came 15 - 20 Orange names ready for battle in the middle of minoc.  I was just a lowely Blacksmith at the time.  

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I went ahead and blogged the story.  Thanks.

It's good to read everyones stories about their UO experiences, so i thought I would finally share some of mine.  Thanks for posting.

/played-mmorpgs

• DivbelDivbel Member UncommonPosts: 22

My UO history is a long one as well. I started playing just after the release, my brother had beta tested and talked me into playing.  At first I was just going to make a character and run around town crafting things and hanging out with people.  Then I wandered out into the world and killed something.  And from there, I never looked back!   I still remember the first time I ventured far.. I went to Vesper and before I got into town, I was pk'd by   "Cockroach".  Yeah..after 10 yrs I still remember the name of the person that killed me first.  LOL.  sad I know.  I had a house and I loved decorating and displaying all of my rare's.   My husband would wake up early every morning just to try and get those rare daily spawns. Fruit baskets, rocks, whatever it might have been.   I spent hours decorating my house when I didn't feel like doing anything else.   I even worked for quite some time as a volunteer counselor when they had that system in place as part of customer support.    I love the skill based system UO used.. people weren't so locked in to specific things.  I played UO for around 8  yrs.. stopped in 2004 and I still miss it.   Too bad it went down so fast...

I love the people I met in UO and I still keep in touch with some of them through email though we no longer play together in a MMO of any kind.  

Thanks for this post.. a pleasant reminder of those past good times.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

I loved UO as well - But even with Ninjas. elves and a new 3d client there is simply not enough new content for me to play it any longer. I Actually quit playing several years ago (as did most of my K@S Guildies)

I still have a few friends who play on LS tho they dont even log in every day...

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

It's good to hear about your memories of UO.  You should check out KR since they have been doing upgrades on it.  It is far from where it was when beta started out, and keeps getting better.

Yeah, I miss the old days of UO, and I would not mind seeing a classic server.  That in itself would get really old though..  The current state of the game is fine.  Plenty of active players, and a ton of content...More to come too.

OH, and my girlfriend camps houses when she can find a decaying one, and every time there is always a group there with her waiting for it to fall.  If it's in fel, well then it's a battle for the loot and spot.  we're on chessy which is not the largest server either.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Nice story :)

One of these days I'll sit down and write a blog about my time on Atlantic..... I really miss UO... still have my account though it's cancelled. 

For me UO was never about getting awesome loot or zillions of gold... it was about the friends I made and the adventures we shared.  One of my all-time favorite memories of UO was when a friend and I just walked one end of Britannia to the other killing random monsters along the way.  We got lost a couple times but it was a fun time.   The only other MMORPG that has come even remotely close to the feelings I had in UO was SWG (pre NGE).  But even it fell short in many areas.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• larryjr88larryjr88 Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Taram

Nice story :)
    One of these days I'll sit down and write a blog about my time on Atlantic..... I really miss UO... still have my account though it's cancelled. 
    For me UO was never about getting awesome loot or zillions of gold... it was about the friends I made and the adventures we shared.  One of my all-time favorite memories of UO was when a friend and I just walked one end of Britannia to the other killing random monsters along the way.  We got lost a couple times but it was a fun time.   The only other MMORPG that has come even remotely close to the feelings I had in UO was SWG (pre NGE).  But even it fell short in many areas.

Who were your toons on Atlantic?

• AoS made it real easy for me to let go of the game rofl. Worst change EA could of imagined. Insurance single handedly killed the game.

• SiftSift Member Posts: 258

We should start a website where everyone can place their memories together about UO heh anyways...

I was another Miner/Tinkerer on Napa Valley, I'm still not sure to this day what ever possessed me to take up tinkering.... But not only did I take up those tools I God damn Mastered them!  You need a shovel? I got one with my name on it for ya!  Then Golems came, I thought I was going to be a god, I wasn't but had fun with em anyways.  Then I became a house salesmen... I look for fools selling their houses for way to cheap, knowing of course what each location is worth, I worked my way from a one room home to a tower... what fun.

Oh I remember why I took up Tinkering... anyone remember the 10000 diamond rings that only took 1 diamond to actually make, so long as it was in a stack of 10000? hehe Good money back then in that...

I think what makes this game truly different from other games is... out of all the games I've played, I have actual memories of this one, I don't for any other.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Do you remember Impact or Wallace from Napa Valley?  I had a guy named Slim Shady and my friends were Impact and Wallace, both PKs.  We've killed many miners in our days, and we've been owned by some miners as well. 

/played-mmorpgs

• zenthias_rpgzenthias_rpg Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Focker

I know the way you all feel.  I felt empty the day  I sold my account 4 years ago.  I still can't forget about UO. I think thats why i surf stratics all the time, hoping to see a glimps of a return to the old days. 

On the other hand, Im kinda happy its not back to the way it was.  Its a different life being able to see day light for once  :)  If uo were to return, I'd be stuck in front of the screen again in no time.

You think thats the reason why you still surf stratics all the time?!?!?!? Give me a break!

You surf stratics for the same reason you surf here, to be a TROLL.