Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calling all Alpha testers!

Comments

• SonOfRahSonOfRah Member Posts: 11

1) There will be a closed beta followed by an open beta. That was stated in a recent interview just before the E3 event if I recal corectly. I believe that the beta will be open for all applicants from around the world, considering that there are many alpha testers (including myself), who are from other countries other than the USA and Canada.

2) Beta won't be for a little while yet. It will not be out for several weeks, so no need to get too excited about beta just yet ::::07::

3) There is quite the possibility of other public events occuring before release and/or beta. Whether its another public demo, or some other event, I would not know - but the possibility for these events exist.

4) as for whether or not its a MMORPG.....who cares? Its just a word that describes a very broad genre. I call it a MMORPG, whilst others don't think it is - its just a matter of perception of the same thing.

Do we really need to argue whether or not it classifies as a MMORPG? Appears a bit pointless to me, so everybody take a chill pill ::::31::

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

Peferct explanation there . I for 1 due to unfortunate circumstances take bout 10 pills a day including the chill pill  image

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• Deadaye13Deadaye13 Member Posts: 106

Thanks for the info SonOfRah.  Now I can look at other games that look interesting to play.  I'll just check the Guild Wars website for more detail.

Thanks again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    Achiever 86%
    Killer 80%
    Explorer 26%
    Socializer 6%

• SonOfRahSonOfRah Member Posts: 11

Welcome :)

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283
    Is there any loot? Like armor/weapons/spells, or do you just get all that as you level? Also is there a way to make your attacks stronger other then buffs? You said that Guilds can have their own towns, and other guilds can raid it, but do you have to find pieces for the buildings? Are they rewards from doing guild missions?

Big Baller

Hype For Upcoming Games:
    The Matrix Online ::::08::
    EVER QUEST 2!!!!::::08::

• haidonghaidong Member Posts: 12

I was wondering what the weapon choices for the game are going to be like. I noticed on one of the 3D rednerings from the official site it had a warrior with a sword and dagger. Is there dual wielding, shields? I have a fancy for dual weapons. And just what weapons are available so far? Thank you for any help you can provide.

• flamindeathflamindeath Member Posts: 40
    They are still working on weapons, etc., and dual wielding is still being discussed- you cna see what other people think, and what Gaile Gray has to say at TGH image

FlaminDeath

FlaminDeath

• NuxtorNuxtor Member UncommonPosts: 41

Shields, Hammers, Axes, Swords and Staffs are ingame, and the dural weild question is beeing discussed.

I saw a ingame screenshot of a warrior using dural weild in an preview at IGN(?), but the screenshot was removed because IGN did not have the rights to post it.

Originally posted by bballermc333
    Is there any loot? Like armor/weapons/spells, or do you just get all that as you level? Also is there a way to make your attacks stronger other then buffs? You said that Guilds can have their own towns, and other guilds can raid it, but do you have to find pieces for the buildings? Are they rewards from doing guild missions?

First of all, guild is yet to be implanted, but there will be guildhalls, that is for certain.
    Yes there is loot, gold coins, dyes, salvage items and usable items and much more.

You can upgrade and buy new armour and weapons as you level up. The upgrade is done by a NPC.

Remember one thing, it is all under constat changes

• flamindeathflamindeath Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Nuxtor
    I saw a ingame screenshot of a warrior using dural weild in an preview at IGN(?), but the screenshot was removed because IGN did not have the rights to post it.

There is no dual wielding in the game yet...

FlaminDeath

FlaminDeath

Originally posted by flamindeath

Originally posted by Nuxtor

There is no dual wielding in the game yet...

FlaminDeath

You never know what the devs are up to image

• MinoTaur3MinoTaur3 Member Posts: 64
    okay this guild wars looks pretty cool, but wat would the system reqs be, and would it run fine on 56k?

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198
    After the E3 event i heard alot of 56k ppl said they had minimal probs running it if any at all.

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• JabusJabus Member Posts: 30
    I played the e3 for everyone alpha test, and everything was awesome as monk. can't wait get in and heal people again (HINT HINT GET ME IN SOMEONE!) Anyway, My question would be have they fixed one of the monk skills that wasn't working? I'm attempting to remember what it was called, but it had to do with having the ability to use your staff as a melee weapon. Holy Bash or Holy Smite or Smiting Bash or some such thing, can anyone help me out with this? Basically, just wanted to know if its working now, and how much damage it does..

-----

Guild Wars

Big Dude With Pants

)

• KyuuzouKyuuzou Member Posts: 1

How exactly do you become an alpha tester anyway? The game was awesome at E34E, and I really just can't wait to play more. The graphics and netcode make games like lineage 2 seem amateur in comparison. Even WoW seems flat and plain compared to this game. Of course the zero monthly fee also makes the game that much more attractive to me, that and the PvP oriented aspect of it.

• LaskLask Member Posts: 11

I've got a question-

Which is more fun, in your opinion, a melee or a spell caster?

Thanks Alpha people!

• JabusJabus Member Posts: 30
    I played monk which was all spell casting. I enjoyed that quite a bit, so much I didn't even bother trying melee! But it looked fun as well.

Guild Wars
    Big Dude With Pants

)

• .Reaper..Reaper. Member Posts: 30

Simple question: Is this game going to be worth buying?

I played I believe it was the alpha, not a bad idea but there wasn't much to it from what I played, not a bad game needless to say. I only played for a couple kinda spent the time learning the ups and downs of the game. Than I went back to my other MMORPG games and FPS games. But anyone the question is up for grabs. It reminds me a lot like Diablo II but not as fun, fill me in on the game and its advantages.

- - - - - -
    MMORPG RETIRED: - Everquest - Dark Age of Camelot - Lineage II - Runescape -
    BETA ACCEPTIONS: - Planetside - Everquest - Guildwars - World War II Online - Lineage II - EVE Online -

- - - - - -
    MMORPG RETIRED: - Everquest - Dark Age of Camelot - Lineage II - Runescape -
    BETA ACCEPTIONS: - Planetside - Everquest - Guildwars - World War II Online - Lineage II - EVE Online -

• LordGustaveLordGustave Member Posts: 8
    Umm you know how you mentioned that this game is unlike any others.. Well in my question you said that this game is more like a CORPG, if you could can you explain that in more detail at how this game is going to be more of a CORPG then a MMORPG?  And how is the interface to the game going to look? Are  we going to be able to customize it? Is there anything customizable in the game? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Gustave

Gustave

• DnightzDnightz Member Posts: 43

1. how often do u notice the streaming tech updated areas and did not noticce till after the fact.

2. i heard something about runes like rune of fire and marksmanship that enhance your ability, do these runes exsist? And explain them too me please.

--------------------
    Thank You For You Time
    Now Hand the GW alpha Tester account over or ill have my teddy bear murder you.
    ::::37::

• ParkinSonParkinSon Member Posts: 2

@Dnightz: Runes exist as upgrades for your armor ect. U'll get them as reward for quests ect. and u can implement them in your armor. For example if u find a rune which gives u more health, just go to the crafter and let him upgrade one of your armorpieces with this rune and u'll have more hp when u wear this upgraded item. I, so far, just found this rune which increases your hp. Could be that runes of fire etc exist but i haven't found them yet.

Explain your 1st question a little better, i don't get what u mean =)

staffmember of
    www.guild-wars.info

staffmember of
    www.guild-wars.info

• ParkinSonParkinSon Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by LordGustave
    Umm you know how you mentioned that this game is unlike any others.. Well in my question you said that this game is more like a CORPG, if you could can you explain that in more detail at how this game is going to be more of a CORPG then a MMORPG?  And how is the interface to the game going to look? Are  we going to be able to customize it? Is there anything customizable in the game? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Gustave

just head over to www.guildwars.com =) U'll find your answer in the FAQ

"Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences.

Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. But Guild Wars eliminates much of the tedium of traveling through the world. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they've previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-on-guild warfare or the international tournament. But engaging in combat is always the player's choice; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world."

The Interface is like in other online rpg's, head up display with skillbar, health and energy status, minimap and so on... 

Customized hud skins and other colors are not available. Dunno if it will be implemented, looks good without any customizeabilities, no worries :)

staffmember of
    www.guild-wars.info

staffmember of
    www.guild-wars.info

• PepsoPepso Member Posts: 6

Hmm and whut about the skill bar?As Reed Hubbard mentioned it is a bit weird that i can`t modify my bar in a mission.For example i need 6 fire spells and healing orison,heal other and rez.And one of them i must leave at home::::16::i think this isn`t the best idea...Pepso Previewgamer

• Otto_ManicOtto_Manic Member Posts: 202
    Actually, it adds even more of a tactical element to the game, as you can watch what other teams are using as strategies and you can adapt your spell/skill lineup in order to try to counter that. I think it's a very good system and I enjoy the challenge.

I'm looking for some friends that I lost contact with over the years...

EQ: Horlain (Firiona Vie)
    DAOC: Kaizur (Guinevere)

Otto!

I'm looking for some friends that I lost contact with over the years...

EQ: Horlain (Firiona Vie)
    DAOC: Kaizur (Guinevere)

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other

this i didnt notice ... heheh , i was only 2 days inside image