Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the benefit of having a RP toon over a PVP toon?

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Sorry about this, but this question may have been asked several times. I just cant seem to find a straight answer though.

Why would someone create a Roleplay Character over a Self Made Level 20 PvP Character?

I understand by creating a RP character you get to absorb the story/lore of Guild Wars and unlock skills, discover new weapons and what not as you get to level 20 in either campaign (prophecies, factions or nightfall).

Its too easy just to make a Level 20 Character and be on your merry way. What is the catch here?

I have noticed that NCSoft released what they call a Prophecies PVP Edtion as well as a Faction and Nightfall. (If you buy this in conjuction with whatever campaign, you get all the skill unlocks and get into the PvP asap). Are you going to be missing out on anything by taking the easy way?

And if you buy these PvP editions can your level 20 character start questing in the GW: Eye of the North Expansion or is this access only avaliable to ROLEPLAY characters that created since Level 1?

Comments

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

First of all

You can make a PVP character but all the skills are locked

The way is either to make a RP character and play along unlocking skills

Once unlocked for any profession they can be used by any PVP character ..

If u buy the PVP edition ( thats in addition to the main Campaign game u buy) it automatically unlocks all skills for all profession for PVP

But that means i will end up paying $39 for game + another $35 pvp

Thats the reason why people make RP character unlock all skills and then head to PVP

Regarding Eye of the north it is the only expansion at the moment.You need to own 1 of the 3 guild wars campaigns to buy it

and only lvl 20  RP character can enter eye of the north

• xankriegorxankriegor Member UncommonPosts: 49

First of all, you can get better looking armors from PvE characters, other than that, there's the PvE content, skill capping, more weapon models, etc.

The purpose of PvP characters are just to get to the PvP faster, so if you don't like doing quests, missions and other PvE stuffs, you can just skip those and create a PvP character.

By buying the PvP Edition, you will probably miss the PvE contents, but if you're playing solely for PvP, you don't really miss anything.

As had been answered, only PvE characters can enter the Eye of the North areas(as well as any other PvE areas for that matter).

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Thanks for the information 

One other thing. Is there and advantage by doing GW:EN? I suppose you get better weapons or gear as well to bring to the PvP field?  And is BG's in GW the way to get weapons and gear as well?

I appreciate all the help and excellent replies! 

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

One other thing. Is there and advantage by doing GW:EN? I suppose you get better weapons or gear as well to bring to the PvP field?  And is BG's in GW the way to get weapons and gear as well?
    I always get a little smirk when players from another certain game call theie Characters "Toons."  The Characters in GW don't look like cartoons 

The advantage to getting GW:EN for some people is having the HoM (Hall of Monuments) which gives a player recognition for the Max Titles (PvE and PvP) / High End Destroyer Weapons / Mini Pets / End Game (also 15K) Armors / And Upgraded Hero.  These 5 things will pass on some sort of upgrade to your GW2 character in a couple years.

I am guessing BG's = Battle Grounds?  If so there are no drops in standard PvP, however I believe you can get items in HA (Halls of Ascention) and HoH (Hall of Heros).

I have 4 PvE Character and 4 PvP Characters....3 Mesmers out of the 8 kinda strange... but I definately play a lot of both PvE and PvP.  I use one to give me a break from the other.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

You mean Heroes Ascent....not Halls of Ascension. Unless I'm missing something?

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

GW:EN is the bridge between Gyuld wars 1 and GW2 to be released in 2009

In GW:EN u get  HOM (hall of Moneuments) where u can display your weapons , pets, heros , ascended aremors , PVP titles etc

All these stuff is supposed to give us some special item in GW2 like inheritance .

BTW there ar no extra Elite skills in GW:EN its the same from other campaigns.Yes GW:EN does have  weapons and armors but similar stats with diff skins can be fnd in campaigns also

$39.99 for GW:EN is a rip off as the expansion is small ,but it provids a bridge to GW2 give more new heroes.

If itsd PVP that u are interested u dont need GW:EN

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Sounds pretty damn good to me.

This clears up alot of understanding what GW is all about. And I will start using the right terminology so I can blend in with the rest of the veterans. LOL  Naah, I will be a noob for a while and suck it up.  

So that you know, I even downloaded them PDF Manual Files so I have stuff to read while in the crapper and understand this game even better.

Here is the direct link to them manuals for others that may be new to GW as me http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/manuals.php

Again, thanks for all the help! 

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Sounds pretty damn good to me.
    This clears up alot of understanding what GW is all about. And I will start using the right terminology so I can blend in with the rest of the veterans. LOL  Naah, I will be a noob for a while and suck it up.  
    So that you know, I even downloaded them PDF Manual Files so I have stuff to read while in the crapper and understand this game even better.
    Here is the direct link to them manuals for others that may be new to GW as me http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/manuals.php
    Again, thanks for all the help! 
    You know I was just giving you a hard time

As the poster above caught,  I did mean Heros Ascent for HA...

And also for some more information, take a look at Secrom's Stickied Thread at the top of the forum.  There should be some useful stuff in their as you start out in the game.  Have fun and good luck.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• DauthixDauthix Member Posts: 222

Remember, too, that PvP in Guild Wars can be pretty tough if you don't have a good grasp of the game.  That is another good reason to start a PvE (or RP) character first, so you can learn how to use the characters/skills effectively.

My current Guild Wars character:

Dauthix The Avenger (Paragon/Ranger)

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

Nope. Gear is basically secondary in GW, you can tweak it so it fits your playstyle/skill templates, however farming stuff and getting high end items won't give you any absolute advantage in PvP. Weapon damage and armor levels are capped and normalized.

GW:EN adds mostly to the PvE aspect of Guild Wars.

You can unlock weapons in PvP (skins as well as modifiers, though the latter are available through PvE too), yet the same basics apply.
  • seabluesseablues Member Posts: 58

Pretty much what everyone said was right on. 

Faction grinding to unlock skills takes longer than just going thru the game doing primaries and skill quests, skills quest mainly in prophs.  That being said its 10x easier to make a full set of weapon swaps with a pvp, you just dont get the cool skins.  There are unlock-able skins you can get by HvH and GvG. 

There is no functional difference between any max al armor.  Some of the armor just looks way cooler.

There is a +5e>50 20% 1/2 cast time wand you can only get from Sheco a weaponsmith  in Factions, you cannot make an item with these mods, whether it be pvp or pve, the wand is essentially dual inscribed.  There are some greens depending on your profession that have similar stats.  There were some more but i cant remember if they changed the mods on those or if they became available thru NPCs.