Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW!!!!

schamojoeschamojoe Member Posts: 1

wow, just wow. this game has to be the best looking game . Way better looking than that new "great" Warhammer Online and that other one Darkfall.

Comments

• freakomarfreakomar Member Posts: 415

yea, too bad its coming out in 08 :(

Played almost everything...
    Currently playing nothing...
    Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.

• cosmo3366cosmo3366 Member Posts: 6

This game look good mostly because the stunning graphics. Although i do think the storyline is gonna be different than normal because its gonna gave a final fanstasy vibe to it meaning the ending will already be set in stone and there will be videos to the storyline. As forthe flying i think that will be one of the more challenging things to make for the developers but all around what sets the game apart.

I'm thinking the game will have a trend of normal mmorpg's (constant killing to lvl), but many things like the way the story line was putt together and the graphics may make it less noticable.

• CaladonCaladon Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Thunder_Head

You're trolling. I like Aion as well, but simply stating that a game is great because of....what? Right, you didn't say.
    You're the troll here, just randomly stopping by and replying something without actually reading what you are replying to.

He never said the game was great, he said that it has the greatest graphics. And it's true. No other MMO coming out soonish competes with Aion there.

And it is great. :P But I don't feel any need to explain myself to a troll.

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Thunder_Head

You're trolling. I like Aion as well, but simply stating that a game is great because of....what? Right, you didn't say.
    ^^ troll. Nice example of how to be a troll.

Yes, the game looks wicked. But I'll be playing Conan :)

• DeatrixDeatrix Member Posts: 47

Aion does look to be the most promising up-coming MMO,  devs even promise to get rid of the typical "grind-fest" but havent released any info on how they plan to do so. anyone else got some much needed info on the development of Aion?

• cimba007cimba007 Member Posts: 3

*Stealin a cookie vom Deartrix* .. mwhahwha

As i have played Ragnarok Online I am very curious about the development of Aion, hoping it would be more like Ragnarok

and less like World of Warcraft.

I dont like games which are too much focused on a high-end-game-raiding system, making you play

hours and hours to defeat tha latest raid instances just to get some new items.

I like the Eastern feeling and look of this game, have fast attacks and beautiful light effects giving the game

lots of dynamics. As i have read somewhere about the proactive and reactive skill system i hope it would be

very varying depending on the different sorts of monsters and situations.

In the end I think I like the Damage-System with this fast flying numbers as they give the game additional

dynamic and speed.

Im really looking forward to buy this game as it gets available here in Europe.

Originally posted by Deatrix

Aion does look to be the most promising up-coming MMO,  devs even promise to get rid of the typical "grind-fest" but havent released any info on how they plan to do so. anyone else got some much needed info on the development of Aion?

i think one of the devs said in Leipzig that any mmo has a grind of some sort, but the key is to make it not feel like one. That means, adding many things for the user to do, (professions?) and giving variety (many different quests) in leveling up. Please correct me if you think i'm wrong.

• joeshmoejoeshmoe Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Caladon

i think one of the devs said in Leipzig that any mmo has a grind of some sort, but the key is to make it not feel like one. That means, adding many things for the user to do, (professions?) and giving variety (many different quests) in leveling up. Please correct me if you think i'm wrong.

I believe you're right, because I remember him saying something along those lines in the video. I'm not sure how they'll mask it, but at least they noted that they were trying to make the grind seem less then a grind. I don't like to reference WoW, but it uses quests to mask it's grind, although it's still a grind. Too bad I'm not a quest guy, or maybe I would have liked WoW, lol.

On another note, I saw a few (what looked to be) PvP skirmishes, and it looked like a lot of fun. It obviously used the WSAD for movement and seemed pretty fluent. I wonder how the class skills will play out in PvP. If done right, I know I'll be having some fun playing it.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Thats the tricky thing with MMO's. They are not story driven like a single player RPG (KotoR or Vampire for example) where leveling is coincidental to the game. At no point do you stand in a field and kill 10 rats. Theyare  totally story driven augmented by the level mechanic. MMO's are the opposite. They do not have driving stories (yet) or any sort of dynamic choice so the devs have focused on the leveling mechanic. (meaning your actions ingame influence the outcome of the story or character developement) The same holds true in P&P RPG's. One of the first things that is made with a new campaign is a plot or theme, usually with several storylines (independent or inter connected) Only a poorly designed computer or P&P RPG dumps you a map with nothing more conpelling to do desides kill random mobs. In MMO's it is standard practice.

It wouldn't be easy to do story driven but we are seeing steps in that direction (LotR but it fails to get away from the grind aspect) Maybe Aion will move closer to it.

Originally posted by Torak

[...]

MMO's are the opposite. They do not have driving stories (yet) or any sort of dynamic choice so the devs have focused on the leveling mechanic.

{...]

The problem is that in single-player games it's OK for every player to be a hero, while this doesn't really make as much sense in an MMO... It would be sort of odd if 2 million players all have epic quests that will make them the king of the nations. I'm annoyed already at games attempting similar things. ;) In MMO's, in my opinion, the players need to forge the story and themselves figure out who are the heroes. And its up to the game to provide a toolset for them to do so.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

I would imagine that some of us may need to begin saving our nickels and dimes for a new computer.  The graphics and other bells and whistles in this game may very well be a high demand on older computers.

Just my supposition here but as it will be a late 2008 release...lol...possibly even later knowing how long it takes to brush out the bugs in MMO's.  This will definitely be a Vista type game I would wager.  I, myself have started ordering parts to build a state-of -the art gaming rig.  Hopefully by Christmas of '08 I will have this baby together and ready for these newer games!

Cheers!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

Originally posted by alyndale

I would imagine that some of us may need to begin saving our nickels and dimes for a new computer.  The graphics and other bells and whistles in this game may very well be a high demand on older computers.
    Just my supposition here but as it will be a late 2008 release...lol...possibly even later knowing how long it takes to brush out the bugs in MMO's.  This will definitely be a Vista type game I would wager.  I, myself have started ordering parts to build a state-of -the art gaming rig.  Hopefully by Christmas of '08 I will have this baby together and ready for these newer games!

Cheers!
    I feel like such a lurker now :P i admit, i have no life!

As for relase, i think it's been said early/mid 2008. Before the summer.

Computer requirements? Take Farcry and add a bit. Should be enough! I don't see it require a monster computer on the cryengine.

Originally posted by Torak

[...]

MMO's are the opposite. They do not have driving stories (yet) or any sort of dynamic choice so the devs have focused on the leveling mechanic.

{...]

The problem is that in single-player games it's OK for every player to be a hero, while this doesn't really make as much sense in an MMO... It would be sort of odd if 2 million players all have epic quests that will make them the king of the nations. I'm annoyed already at games attempting similar things. ;) In MMO's, in my opinion, the players need to forge the story and themselves figure out who are the heroes. And its up to the game to provide a toolset for them to do so.

Not necessarily, it makes more "sense" then being sent out by dull eye NPCs to kill 10 rats.

MMOs are trapped in blandness and its killing the genre.

I agree with your "players need to drive the story themselves" but they need some form on context and kill task isn't it. L2 is a great example of drawing in the community and getting them involved in the politics and control of the game world. its main issue is it weeds out to many players up front with its grind from hell. Ryzom has evolved nicely over the years right down to actual player made content, but still makes it hard for the new player to get involved....because of a punishing grind. And you see that repeated throughout.

MMO's suffer over because of grinds. People don't play them because of grinds. You can make them complex, story driven, plot driven, player driven, choice driven..but when you make them grind driven, they inevitably fail. You can browse any modern MMO for plenty of proof of that.

Aside from  WoW (who's players don't play other MMOs), the MMO genre is slowly dieing off. Why? Because nothing has changed in 10 years.

Indeed, i think the way politics worked in L2 was great. The problem comes with "quests". How stupid is that term in this context anyway? Doesn't it sound a bit "too much"? "YARR I'm on a quest to clear this infested valley of 10 vermin boars! That is my most divine quest of knighthood!" or "My quest, sire, is to bring these 2 apples to the baker."

Come on - Quest!? They're more like errands or "lending a hand". If we want quests, bring on the dragon-slaying and the rescuing of thousands of slaves under the reign of King KHAOS. That's what quests are about. Which brings me back to the difficulty of everyone being the hero in an MMO. Sure, they can work with a story, but it can't let everyone be the focus of attention. It's stupid how every single player kills the "Evil Hive Queen of Terror" who has been tormenting the little defenseless town for weeks. Someone killed her, she died by the blade of the *first* player who found her! In a singleplayer game that would work, since it's a single timeline - a single story - and the player is the hero. But an MMO can only help with the premises and then encourage the players to build the story. 

At least that's my opinion.

Indeed, i think the way politics worked in L2 was great. The problem comes with "quests". How stupid is that term in this context anyway? Doesn't it sound a bit "too much"? "YARR I'm on a quest to clear this infested valley of 10 vermin boars! That is my most divine quest of knighthood!" or "My quest, sire, is to bring these 2 apples to the baker."

Come on - Quest!? They're more like errands or "lending a hand". If we want quests, bring on the dragon-slaying and the rescuing of thousands of slaves under the reign of King KHAOS. That's what quests are about. Which brings me back to the difficulty of everyone being the hero in an MMO. Sure, they can work with a story, but it can't let everyone be the focus of attention. It's stupid how every single player kills the "Evil Hive Queen of Terror" who has been tormenting the little defenseless town for weeks. Someone killed her, she died by the blade of the *first* player who found her! In a singleplayer game that would work, since it's a single timeline - a single story - and the player is the hero. But an MMO can only help with the premises and then encourage the players to build the story. 

By "context" I am referring to the overall plot or story. The playing field so to speak of the game.

Take Vanguard for example, its a weak game because its a huge,  meandering void game. Nothing is going on, its dead and static. Sure it has a bunch of quest, some of them are entertaining but thats it. There is no point whatso ever to play the game aside from passing the time knocking out some levels. Yes they have ships, but they don't  do anything. They serve no purpose but to show off. Same with houses, its pointless to do it. No one cares if you have a pretty, perfectly decorated house. It has no function other then to show off.

Could there be resource control in Vanguard? Yes. Could there be an NPC invasion or storyline? Sure. Could there be a use for ships in Vanguard like..oh..say transporting crafted cargo or something and NPC pirates or something? Sure could. What about friction between the 19 races in Vanguard? (yes 19) Kingdoms do fight, thats what they do....they compeat for land and territory traditionally...what do we get over and over...static NPCs in unchanging lifless cpaitol cities. The framework is there for an outstanding PvE MMO but the devs stayed crazy glued to kill task.

Dunno, I'm tired today, I just got home from driving all over southern Germany today... Sorry if that didn't make any sense or rambled.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I couldn't agree more

• powerpolkpowerpolk Member Posts: 80

Hmm i wonder if my PC can handle Aion.. hmmm....