Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic and Normal Servers

iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Hi all,

What's the difference between these Servers? I first played the game as someone recommended it, and he told us to join the classic servers. The only answer I got when I asked him why was "they basically fucked it".

-iCeh

Comments

• rATIxrATIx Member Posts: 67

Normal servers have Trials of Atlantis content, classic servers don't.

On classic servers concentration buffs have a range they work in and the buffer must be in same group as you. Normal server don't have this restriction which led to people having buffbots to buff themselves.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Ah I see, thanks a lot.

-iCeh

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157

What about addtional races and classes? Do Classic servers lack that as well?

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

so whats wrong with ToA?

i am interested in finally giving DAoC a try.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

The hallmark of DAOC is its RvR (pvp).  Players who love pvp grind characters to level 50 in order to get into the end-game RvR.  TOA added "artifacts" which are high level augmented weaponry and armor as well as master levels that granted special skills, all of which had drastic effects on RvR and meant that in order to stay competitive in RvR, players had to go back and spend long periods of time grinding through some rather tough PvE content in order to get their master levels and artifacts.  

Even some PvE players didn't appreciate TOA much because so much of the content approached raid standards - needing multiple groups and special items from perequisite encounters, etc., blah, blah, blah.

Now, the development team had been apprised by the beta testers that TOA would not go over well in its present form, but did they listen?  NOOOOOOOO.  An uproar and outcry ensued and finally Mythic agreed to do something about it.  Hence the "classic" servers. 

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

Any server other than the classic servers are dead servers with no one but Lvl 50 RR10 ML bajillion CL 10 players.

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

do alot of people still play on the classic servers?

• karnaktckarnaktc Member Posts: 12

The difference between the classic and toa servers is almost non existant now with the superduper rare drops that only the elite have just like WOW rare items ftw.Dont believe me goto the merchants any of the 3 servers for classic and any realm and check out the rare items 50-100 plat ...YUP part timers have that laying around.I think its a jewel that gives a 350 point ablative thats one of the superduper drops try getting that one.Only the SKILLED(using the word in jest) players have that and all the other rare superduper drops.Vote with your money and do not support a mythic/ea product.And as always working as intended,tabled need more specifics.design decision,not at this time,and thanks for playing dark age of camelot

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by karnaktc

The difference between the classic and toa servers is almost non existant now with the superduper rare drops that only the elite have just like WOW rare items ftw.Dont believe me goto the merchants any of the 3 servers for classic and any realm and check out the rare items 50-100 plat ...YUP part timers have that laying around.I think its a jewel that gives a 350 point ablative thats one of the superduper drops try getting that one.Only the SKILLED(using the word in jest) players have that and all the other rare superduper drops.Vote with your money and do not support a mythic/ea product.And as always working as intended,tabled need more specifics.design decision,not at this time,and thanks for playing dark age of camelot

And again, nice trolling. I won't feed you this time though.

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Yes there are many expensive items of the merchants - do you know why?  Because even if you cancel your account you keep your house and people can buy items off of it.  So what you are seeing are prices set years ago for those items.   I still see people with active accounts trying to sell items for a huge amount, but no one ever buys them. 

Why not actually tell me how hard it is to play the game and get some uber item now?  Give me the stats, realm, group make up, and your class?  Then perhaps I will think those that have their panties in a twist aren't just making things up. 

• AlchemdaAlchemda Member Posts: 179

I personally liked TOA. I played during its prime time when TOA first launched, got to ML 10 and all the good artifacts, it wasnt hard at all. Then again the server I played on had on average 4000 people during peak times. Thats about 1300 per realm. I liked the encounters and the items were super good. Everyone I know who RVR'd had TOA and were top ML or near there. Shame it didnt pan out like intended

The other difference to the classic and non classic servers is on the classic servers you cant /level. On regular servers if you get a 50 any alt you create you can /level which auto levels you to level 20 and you can get basic gear for that lvl from the NPC's. I loved it for alts, but it really killed newb areas. On some servers / realms that were low pop you could /level to level 30 which was also really nice, but killed the 1-50 experience.

Classic servers are really the only ones with a good pop on it, personally they should combine all normal servers into 1 cluster. If they did that I'd go back in a heartbeat. That or if they did some sort of sub pass thing if you bought WAR.

----------------------
    Played (In order of favorite first to least): DAOC, EQ2, EVE, WOW, Vanguard, AC2, City of __, Guild Wars, LOTRO, EQ, Sword of New World, FFXI, Lineage 2, Second Life, DDO, Anarchy Online, RF Online, Archlord, Uru, Ragnarok Online, Shadowbane, Planetside, Auto Assault, Ryzom, Matrix Online, Horizons, Entropia, Sims, Runescape, Lineage 1, AC1, Dungeon Runners

• karnaktckarnaktc Member Posts: 12

that NEW ablative gem and the rare mithirians and rings and weapons and blah,blah.blah are not years old.If they are supposedly sitting on merchants and not selling then house gets repo in 4 weeks unless you have money in merchants unless things have changed since i played.And to the guy telling me i am trolling everything i said is 100% accurate.And as always working as intended,tabled need more specifics,design decision,not at this time and thanks for playing dark age of camelot

p.s. myself and the other 75-80% of the population who have quit cannot be wrong can we?

that NEW ablative gem and the rare mithirians and rings and weapons and blah,blah.blah are not years old.If they are supposedly sitting on merchants and not selling then house gets repo in 4 weeks unless you have money in merchants unless things have changed since i played.And to the guy telling me i am trolling everything i said is 100% accurate.And as always working as intended,tabled need more specifics,design decision,not at this time and thanks for playing dark age of camelot

p.s. myself and the other 75-80% of the population who have quit cannot be wrong can we?

No, everything you've said isn't true. You're just one pissed off troll

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

This is the main reason why I still don’t play Daoc today, Even after TOA they still released more content like Darkness rising and catacombs that was basically PvE orientated and they put them on the classic servers, and new frontiers was horrible imo. In the end the classic servers aren’t really classic any more.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jezvin

This is the main reason why I still don’t play Daoc today, Even after TOA they still released more content like Darkness rising and catacombs that was basically PvE orientated and they put them on the classic servers, and new frontiers was horrible imo. In the end the classic servers aren’t really classic any more.

The classic servers were never "classic."  It was a poorly chosen name picked up from people using the terms of messageboards.  The Classic servers were launched just before/after DR so Cats had already been out.  The issue was never that people wanted a return to the way things were, but that they just did not want buffbots or ToA.  The ToA complaint was mostly about raids never the power of the items.

DR/LotM added new things but you could earn them from RvR so I do not see how that is an issue. 

Actually if you do not have money on your house it gets repoed in a week.  Also, since people have CM, those collect money and collecting money is very easy.  I have made about 50p on my CM in less than a month without trying or putting anything rare on them.  I have enough money on my CM to pay for my house for over a year.  I know people who have maxed out money on their CM. 

And things haven't changed.  That is how they have always worked.  (Although now if you cancel your account then in 120 days your house will be repoed). 

But how can you say that you do not play anymore and yet talk about new items in the game?  How can you tell me the current prices of anything?  You can't because you do not play.  Rare mith are are a rare myth.  Most are easy to get and none add much in terms of power. 

The population left a long time ago for various reasons.  The least of which is what you talk about and insofar as that was an issue it has been resolved.  Given your own admission you do not play, I can't see how you can give any information about the current state of the game. 

Are you sure you played this game? 

It's really sad that Daoc destroyed your life and all,Karnaktc,but you're pathetic if you just troll in here.Really, get a life and move on to better games,although I think that you still like daoc since you care enough to stick around and post in daoc forums.Anyway,you're just making a fool out of yourself but thanks for the laughs anyway and keep up the good work.Well as always i leave you with working as intended,tabled need more specifics,design decision,not at this time,and thanks for the laughs,our little clown 

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310

Clap clap clap.So the tried and true your a troll repsonse was stuffed so now you go the you dont play so you dont know route??? Ummmm.... HAHAHAHAHA!!! Seriously Mythic/EA is so fast in responding to the problems that exist that they must all be cleared up in a month and I cannot possibly know anyone who still plays.You my sad,little,pathetic friend assume alot and know very little.I will concede that I thought if no money was on merchants it took them a month to take house and i will openly and honestly concede that as I have no problem admitting a mistake and will not stuff someone elses facts with personal attacks and not admit truths.The greater evade mithirian and the greater healing mithirian i believe they are called are NOT rare as you put them and easy to get and everyone has them right?They are not on merchant for insane amounts of ingame currency that the part timer cannot collect in said persons limited gaming time right??The population has not dropped the 75-80% i have stated right??The superduper rare drops and perfect templated out toons dont have an huge advantage in fights the people just get them for fun because they dont make it a lop-sidded slaughter right??Unreal just totally unreal =.Well as always i leave you with working as intended,tabled need more specifics,design decision,not at this time,and thanks for playing dark age of camelot
    Did you really play the game or you just like flaming on a game that you now nothing about. Oh I got it you are one of those 14 day trial people that says oh the game graphics are not good so the game must suck. Yes some people left the game because of TOA. But what really hurt mythic pop. is one they really didn't advertise the game much. The second thing is because when alot of people complained about a class being to overpower mythic just didn't tweak the class a little bit they go on a all out nerf on that class til it is not worth playing. You have some people that put alot of work into class then mythic nerf it hell makes alot of people quit. The third problem is now new frontiers I like nf but now it is way to big for the normal servers.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• hedgewanhedgewan Member Posts: 64

I used to play this game, since launch almost (Alb/Guin and Alb/Gareth), quit earlier this year. I think this so called 'troll' is spot on correct.

I quit because DR and LotM are pretty much clones of ToA in many ways (that and clustering changes). Mythic never learned thier lesson, they just made a classic server as a temporary fix, toned down the ToA idea a bit and added some demons and karate kows. Same ToA different clothes. They still really aren't creative enough to make decent game content. Something bad happened to Mythic, a severe brain drain right after SI was made, or maybe during ToA development. I wish I had quit sooner than I did.

If it were truly a classic server they would have no expansions past SI on it.

• EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

So true toa items with haveing to level them and farm scrolls...

Prices ok here ya go Galvornes bow 25-60 plat

Greather healing myth 19 plat

Momemt of zen 60 plat cheapest one in housing as of today..

MNevis heated peircer 15 plat cheapest one.

Off hand thruster with stats cap and omni proc cant remeber the name but only one in housing 50 plat.

a few nice leather pcs for my infil start at 25 plat each.

Playing a few hours a night when i can tell me where i get the 200  plat for those 2 weapons and 3 infil pcs i need at 50 to compete with the rest of the lifless players ???

There not ultraRARE drops but not that easy to get either.

The Bow the dragon drops like 1 in 150,000 kills starts at 60 plat on classic server. Has omni proc on it goes off like every 3rd arrow.

So again its the casual player thats taken out of the game and are fodder for those lifers that play 60 hours a week.

Reason why 75% of the classic pop is in the bgs, where stats/rr are capped and your Superduper rare drops dont mean shit in them :)

working as intended thxs for playing daoc...

And dont call me a noob ive been playing since beta and game gets worse and worse with each passing patch...

Bone dancer love need i say more 

blue con pets that hit like an epic mob and make your 2400 hps disappear in 4 rounds with charge/haste/slam/disease...

Originally posted by Emmeric

So true toa items with haveing to level them and farm scrolls...
    Prices ok here ya go Galvornes bow 25-60 plat
    Greather healing myth 19 plat
    Momemt of zen 60 plat cheapest one in housing as of today..
    MNevis heated peircer 15 plat cheapest one.
    Off hand thruster with stats cap and omni proc cant remeber the name but only one in housing 50 plat.
    a few nice leather pcs for my infil start at 25 plat each.
    Playing a few hours a night when i can tell me where i get the 200  plat for those 2 weapons and 3 infil pcs i need at 50 to compete with the rest of the lifless players ???
    There not ultraRARE drops but not that easy to get either.
    The Bow the dragon drops like 1 in 150,000 kills starts at 60 plat on classic server. Has omni proc on it goes off like every 3rd arrow.
    So again its the casual player thats taken out of the game and are fodder for those lifers that play 60 hours a week.
    Reason why 75% of the classic pop is in the bgs, where stats/rr are capped and your Superduper rare drops dont mean shit in them :)
    working as intended thxs for playing daoc...

And dont call me a noob ive been playing since beta and game gets worse and worse with each passing patch...
    Bone dancer love need i say more 
    blue con pets that hit like an epic mob and make your 2400 hps disappear in 4 rounds with charge/haste/slam/disease...

All that is true mythic really have killed this game with every new patch they bring out . Unless you are elite player with a elite guild you will always be at the bottom of the food chain.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch

Wow 6 years of a game you seem to hate seems odd you would even bother . . .

I have found healing and power Myth for 20-60p, but I have found even more priced at 1-2p.   On the other hand, I found a Galvornes for 120p.  I didn't search more than just my cluster so there might have been cheaper.  I did search for stats though and found ones that were comparable.  For example +3 Archery, +18 Dex/Con +3 Dex cap 95DD proc for 200 gp, for 1p you have +17 dex/qui, +5 Dex cap +4 recurce and 100 DoT.  Are any of these as nice?  No, but does every archer need the exact same bow with 125 DoT proc on it?  Since I do not play archers I am not sure if the procs work on bow, but if you can do player crafted procs it would be easy to duplicate the Galvornes for a lot less money.

Yes there are many items that people price way too high on all the servers, but because a few have those prices doesn't mean everyone will.  In addition, you do not need the top of everything.  There are other pieces that work just well enough to do what you need to do.  Sometimes you might loose because of equipment but it is not as though the only way to compete is to have items prices at 60p+ per slot either. 

Originally posted by JulianDracos

Wow 6 years of a game you seem to hate seems odd you would even bother . . .

I have found healing and power Myth for 20-60p, but I have found even more priced at 1-2p.   On the other hand, I found a Galvornes for 120p.  I didn't search more than just my cluster so there might have been cheaper.  I did search for stats though and found ones that were comparable.  For example +3 Archery, +18 Dex/Con +3 Dex cap 95DD proc for 200 gp, for 1p you have +17 dex/qui, +5 Dex cap +4 recurce and 100 DoT.  Are any of these as nice?  No, but does every archer need the exact same bow with 125 DoT proc on it?  Since I do not play archers I am not sure if the procs work on bow, but if you can do player crafted procs it would be easy to duplicate the Galvornes for a lot less money.
    Yes there are many items that people price way too high on all the servers, but because a few have those prices doesn't mean everyone will.  In addition, you do not need the top of everything.  There are other pieces that work just well enough to do what you need to do.  Sometimes you might loose because of equipment but it is not as though the only way to compete is to have items prices at 60p+ per slot either. 

Just like all the new dragon items that drop from the dragon. Where me and a friend tested it out. Where just the inf new chest with the heal and Omni proc after 6 swings at him that vest proced about 4 times. With the heal proc and the Omni proc now that is not cool for the people just coming into the game and have no items to compete with that. Now only the people with the elite group’s elite guilds will get those items and they will always sell them for insane prices. Where you have guilds that have killed the dragon over 100 times and some people that are even lucky to kill the dragon 1 time. Mythic is still leaving this big gap between people. Where if you catch up with them with artifacts and you can now compete with them mythic comes out with something new for them to get to keep that advantage over you.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch

• EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

I play to try and compete in some form either in the bg or find a noob 50 with out the ubah gear that i might be able to kill...

Those so called comperable items please your joking me right??

Everyone knows all the rare drops a dragon stuff  delves at 16.5 dps but we all know that they really are 20.5 21 dps anyone will tell you there dragon weapon hits 2 times harder than any player made or ROG drop....

Galvornes bow out hits the Champ bow by at least 100 points an arrow using the same shot on same player ive tested it myself with a friend who has both bows...

Game does suck and its old and stale and only the lifers are hanging on in the 50 pvp department. Casual players are in the bgs where they know no matter how much plat or how many ubah peices of gear you have it doesnt matter with 3-4 plat u can have a good suit for molvik and compete competively,  not get rolled over and over.

As usual thxs for playing Daoc, not at this time, dev decision, snd my CSR favorite "There not window dragging your isp is getting side client lag" lol yeah right