Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request: Add new IP/Copyright Protection Requirement for Listing of Games

DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

I have come across the title Age of Armor, which appears to have blatant disregard for using copyrighted material without permission.  The examples are of the transformer images of Bumble Bee and Jazz (and there are more examples), along with using the EULA and perhaps the UI of Worlds of Warcraft.

I would like to see MMORPG.Com to not accept titles being listed that do not abide by copyright laws.  Violation of copyright laws is essentially a form of piracy and should not be tolerated or supported.   Otherwise we may very well see more violations of copyright laws in the future.

In the defining requirements of an MMO (link), I request the following to be added:

• The game must be of original or licensed intellectual property and content, and in addition, follow International Copyright Laws.  MMORPG Staff reserve the right to judge questionable material and may request documentation for clarification and/or verification.

End of message

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Comments

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

We'll look into this and I'll get back to you!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

The game in question is being developed in communist mainland China where it is known that the piracy of copyrighted properties is routine and that the Chinese government does not respect or enforce international copyright laws.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by Taera

We'll look into this and I'll get back to you!
    Thanks!

I do not know if Snail Games has permission to use such material, as no fine print or legal wording is provided, such as, "<Name of IP material>  is used with permission and is licensed by <Owner Name>."  Since no clause is provided, can only assume there is no permission, especially when using other material from other games and of China's lack of enforcement.

Originally posted by Keogh

The game in question is being developed in communist mainland China where it is known that the piracy of copyrighted properties is routine and that the Chinese government does not respect or enforce international copyright laws.

Very true.  While I'll accept that there is not much that can be done to stop piracy within China, unless the government conducts enforcement; but not when used in the International market.  Otherwise, all of the MMO's that are out there, should expect Chinese based companies to just make copies, with just a change of title and background story, and charge a much lower rate, or free to play business models.  This would in my opinion force other companies to close their own MMO's as they would not be able to compete.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Alright!  So, this is not something we are going to be enforcing.  While we understand your concerns, enforcing something like this would have a lot of reprecussions for multiple games and titles, not just AoA.

Sorry for the wait on your answer!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Understood.

It is going to be interesting to see how things pan out as more titles are released in the next few years from non-conforming IP law countries.

And that is why...