Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ULTIMA X: ODYSSEY HAS BEEN CANCELLED!!

Comments

• prism80prism80 Member Posts: 15
    It was clone anyway!  All the same now.  But putting more effort into the Dead Horse called UO isn't the best move either.

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by diegofrgc
    Richard rolling into his grave???????okok, lets see the facts............he is making Tabula Rasa!!!!!dont blame Lord British, he left UO one year ago, now EA owns completely UO and was going to own UXO
    I hate you EA............Earth & Beyond cancelled, UXO cancelled, the sims online cancelled <yes ,it will very soon, sorry sim fans>

Lord British just left UO 1 year ago? Are you talking about Richard or Lord British here? I've played UO for 3 years and I never once saw Lord British. In fact I've only ever seen like two events. That's an important part they lacked. They needed more events.

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• HammerhandHammerhand Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by jonesyorg

Whoa there fella's, EA sucks? What about Battlefiled 1942? The Sims? Medal of Honor? The whole LotR series? And just about every sports game worth playing?
    They made a business decision, and if you look at their stock, you'll see how continued "sound business decisions" keep them churning out great titles. It's sad to see another mmorpg get cancelled, but (and I apologize to the UO fans) this gives EA more resources to devote to other, more viable games.

In business, its not what did you do for me 5-10 years ago, it is what have you done for me lately. What has EA done lately? I can assure you it is nothing to jump up and down about. In the gaming industry it is all about trust and if you make a promises and continue to brake those promises then you start to lose that trust factor realy fast. If people don't trust your company they aren't going to risk spending 50-60 bucks on a game they aren't sure they can trust in. EA may just need to stick to what they are good at, sports games.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo what am i gonna play next!!?

• GenjingGenjing Member Posts: 441

Originally posted by harmonica

Richard Garriot is rolling over in his grave.

Game looked promising (especially the combat system), but god forbid there be a new innovative combat system game and it actually make it out of the beta phase before being cancelled. They plan to "merge" UXO with UO... yeah right. We all saw Blackthorn's Revenge, that was a piece of crap "merging" of UO2 with UO.

Actually, he's cut all ties with the Ultima franchise. And since UXO got canned, we may quite possibly never see another new Ultima game again.

Yea Tabula Rasa is RG + Destination Games's new project. Its looking really good so far, i'd check out the E3 trailer and interview.

• speedzonetefspeedzonetef Member Posts: 22

Hey Gang

Another one bites the dust!

Ive found a Great game its called FreeWorld, its in Alpha now, and they adding new stuff...

Heres there web page  http://www.freeworldonline.com/

I think they will be asking more testers in Sept, not sure but to be on the safe side keep coming and check and mabe you might get lucky to get in at http://www.gamergod.com/

Ill be back :)

This isn't a forum about new games, it's about a game that just went down the drain after so much hard work. Take that elsewhere.

Back to EA, I miss when Origin was still around. I miss OSI and all those bastard counselors. ::::21::
    But as for UX:O, this game was great. I like Ascension, but it wasn't as great as UO. UO2 would have been freaken sweet if it wasn't in 3d.

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• speedzonetefspeedzonetef Member Posts: 22

Freedom of speech!

Go out and buy more EA games! imageimageimage

Keep looking for other games that will be around, cause EA is surely going to drop them, so why put up with that mess!

And yes Im all For FreeWorld!  Cause it's there only game and i know they be around when its done! image

Yes hard work, they don't care... EA Bites!

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

^ image

• FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

I'm pretty bummed about UXO being cancelled. I mean they took it pretty far, releasing videos, races, classes. It looked pretty damn sweet to me. I was going to buy it if EQ2 didnt work out, but i guess they pulled a smart moving, backing out before their game got crushed by EQ2 and WoW.

Oh well, we still love UO because, well, you just have to love UO.::::22::

-Farseen-

Played: UO, EQ, AO, SWG, FFXI, Shadowbane, EVE, Horizons, AC2

Current Testing: Everquest 2 (soon)

- Farseen

Current Game: Panzar

Indeed, UO will always be my only gaming love... ::::22::

Admin, when are you going to get rid of this entire discussion board? Ultima X: O is no more!::::21::

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• KelenekiKeleneki Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Too bad this is canceled.  I was anticipating this game more than most of the others coming out soon.  image
  • SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

I think someone should come up with a eulogy for UXO, and possibly the entire Ultima series. I doubt any more Ultima games will be coming out now.

I remember UO2 stratics was still up months after UO2 was cancelled, and people submitted eulogies and monumental images and stuff. image It was so saaaad. image

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Interestingly enough, I have never heard of UO2. I played UO for 3 years, but I've never heard of UO2. When was it supposed to come out? When I took a leap of absence from the forums and all games? That was like 7 months long. I never knew about a UO2!

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

Most people just referred to Ultima Worlds Online: Origin as UO2. At least, the people I talked to and the websites I visited.

Oh, I'm not very familiar with that name either. I may have heard it in game once or twice but not so much, Was it going to be 3d? If it was I don't want to hear anymore. It couldn't have the same great in game experience as UO. ::::07::

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• AnsheAnshe Member Posts: 16

So where is everybody heading now? :-)

Kinda funny EA canceled two UO successors already ;-)

If you sign up to SecondLife entering "Anshe Chung" as referal adds you to my in game friendslist :-)

If you sign up to SecondLife entering "Anshe Chung" as referal adds you to my in game friendslist :-)

I'm in AC2 for now, but when Tabula Rasa is in beta/released I will definetely be there.

No games for me yet. Not until I see "the one." I don't think it will be rolling around anytime soon. Hehe. I'm not holding my breath.

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

I'd keep an eye on Tabula Rasa.. the almighty Richard Garriott is making it, and a lot of the devs were part of the UO2 team.

I downloaded the E3 trailer today, it looks really nice so far. It comes out in November, and EQ2/WoW come out in October, so I bet most of the annoying people will be in those games and not TR.

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

I'm too lazy to quote but I thought I'd answer a few things that some people brought up.

Firstly, it is not a smart business decision to put as much money as they did into a game, have about 9-12 months from release and just can it.  It is a waste of money and resources...not only do you have to put out money but you tie up devs in making the game when they could be put elsewhere.  They did the same thing with UO2.  The problem is EA has soooo much money that they don't feel the hit they take.  They make it up easily in UO sales.

Lord British is Richard Garriot's alter ego...no he didn't play Lord British, at least not that I know of...but if someone refers to Lord British in a non-UO sense they are prob referring to Richard Garriot...he himself thinks of himself has Lord British on occassion.  He said as much in the latest Tabula Rasa interview in fact...I believe.  lol

UO2 was in the making a long long time ago.  Back before AC1 I believe...I can't really remember the whole timeframe for it.  It had VERY good graphics for the time...if it were released today the graphics would still be very good.  They would have to raise the resolution a bit but that is all.  hehe.  It was fully 3D and it had a unique fighting style...all the animations were made by an actual martial artist in a suit so they all looked very real.  The fighting style was very intense and fluid.  The game features were unique and the world was completely original.  It was a mix of the old UO world taking place in a pseudo-industrial age.  There was a really cool video I'm still trying to track down with a character break dancing and the movie also showed off some of the better fighting scenes but I can't find it anymore.

Someone said UXO was going to be a clone?  uh...that is far from the truth as most of the UXO ideas weren't ever in UO.  Just to answer that one.  :P

Anyway, I'm sad that this game got canned and I think it was another mistake by EA.  I believe it would have done rather well despite the competition and certainly would have made back all the money they put into making it and would easily have enough to keep going month to month.

Sorry if there are dup posts.

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

Garriot's alter ego...no he didn't play Lord British, at least not that I know of...but if someone refers to Lord British in a non-UO sense they are prob referring to Richard Garriot...he himself thinks of himself has Lord British on occassion.  He said as much in the latest Tabula Rasa interview in fact...I believe.  lol

Garriot did GM in the old days of UO as Lord British. He talked to people and took part in quests and stuff, if I heard correctly from like everyone I knew during UO:R.

I read that UO2 was conceived 6 months after UO was released, by the way.

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

ARRRRRRRRRRGH ::::26::::::26::::::26::::::26::::::26::::::26:: whats with mmorpg developers these days man? you know how many games have been cancelled not even in one year? this is outrageous! I was waiting for this game like crazy >.< arrrgh.. from now o I wont get too excited ::::25::

• BouddhaBouddha Member Posts: 25
    Now wtf????????????? ultima odysse was the last freakin mmo that i was waiting for!!!! wtf cancelled 2 ?? so everything gonna be cancelled in the mmo world ??? wow= gonna be over populated ( so too much lag for me ) eq2= same fuckin thing!!! what the hell im gonna play if every1 cancel their freakin mmorpg!!!!!!!!!

"HomeLAN - Ultimately, what was the main reason for the decision to cancel the game?

Aaron Cohen - We decided to focus our resources in Ultima Online. The enthusiastic response to the Ultima Online 7th Anniversary Edition and the upcoming expansion pack convinced us to devote all our energy and resources to that game and that community. "

Check out this link to see more info on why the game was cancelled. Click here.

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage