Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Hype Metre is stupid

Yeah the metre is stupid

Someone PLAYS a game and rates it 9+

Other d00Dz look at screen shots (maybe), and then try to make the more clever insulting comments, and rate a game low

There should be TWO categories here, dont you think? 

Comments

• AdamxAdamx Member Posts: 6
    Yeah people judge it just by the pictures. If you want to truly judge it play it for a week and then it get's more intresting. Having a first impresion area and a player metter would make it more realistic. Your idea is a good one but they could also make an average bettweent he two.
  • Exactly

How does someone go about suggesting something like that around here?
  • [sYn][sYn] Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Isn't the hype metre for games that haven't been released yet, thus the reason why people judge based on screens and information, not actual gameplay. Once a game is officially released it gets a ranking, which is similar to the hype metre but seperate.

So technically there are two categories, one for released games and one for un-released games ;).
  • murphys123murphys123 Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by [sYn]

Isn't the hype metre for games that haven't been released yet, thus the reason why people judge based on screens and information, not actual gameplay. Once a game is officially released it gets a ranking, which is similar to the hype metre but seperate.

So technically there are two categories, one for released games and one for un-released games ;).
    He wins
  • Not really, there should be a third category for games that are in beta and are being played
  • [sYn][sYn] Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Surely that would be breaking NDA?
  • RazorteetsRazorteets Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by [sYn]

Surely that would be breaking NDA?
    Swish!  Two points.

The above post is purely my opinion. If you disagree, that's your right. However, don't be an ass about it.

• How would that be breaking the NDA if it's an open beta?
  • LordconellLordconell Member Posts: 12
    He is right it would be braking NDA. I still think people shouldnt use Hyper Meter based on screen shots but off them acouly playing it. This would give games a better chance in the market.
  • ZinraeZinrae Member Posts: 50

It's a Hype Meter!. Hype doesn't have to be based on actual information. It just gives you a general idea of how many people are looking forward to the game, not how good it is. This is appropriate since games can change quite a bit from beta to release.

As long as no one takes it seriously, I don't see a problem.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by Zinrae

It's a Hype Meter!. Hype doesn't have to be based on actual information.

Exactly.  I mean, look at the last  3 star wars movies.  Hype doesn't mean much.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• InfernalSoulInfernalSoul Member Posts: 35
    "to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily" as defined by dictionary.com and thus exactly what the hype meter should be and is.
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Has anyone asked the op if he meant the user rating of the game the system as a whole? As i see where he is coming from if thats what he really meant, as i could go and rate any game i wanted a 1 across the boards, write some phony comment about how chedder cheese is better than said game and even if it was all false my input on the ratings would count towards the over-all average.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

The Hype ratings aren't just based on everyone involved.  If I remember someone stating in a post once, they take the ratings from a median.  I believe they throw out the highest and the lowest to get a truer ratings. Don't quote me as truth, its been awhile since I have read the post about it.

• I'm the original poster

I was referring to the system as a whole, and the trend of a lot of kewlDoodz to use the hype meter as a exercise in "who can put the game down in the most original, kewl sounding, insulting manner" when they haven't tried it, really looked at it, or know the first thing about it.

It's a real disservice to indie developers, and the big name companies always seem to have a bottom limit of 7.0 hype no matter what the actual votes are.

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

Well, the big companies are pumping millions into gorgeous graphics and popular licenses, so it's to be expected that they'll have higher hype scores. The majority of gamers are probably more drawn to that than to immersive gameplay. For those who prefer the latter, you'd be hard pressed to find better, but the hype-meter really is about judging a book by its cover, and I have to admit SQO's could use some sprucing up.

• TeachTeach Member Posts: 6

Screw the hypemeter, look at Star Quest now!!!