Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK but what can you do?

What is there to do in this game? Can you leave the ship and explore planets? What are the goals? Is this game still active?

Comments

• You can do whatever you want

Yes, you can leave the ship and explore planets

And the goals are whatever you set for yourself, Admiral, Pirate Chieftan, Shipping Company billionaire, you choose :-)

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

Ok, but the software is unusable. I installed the game signed up for the Beta and got my login ready, logged in patched and then could not move. I would press the arrow key to move and it would lag so bad or I would just stand there walking in place. There does not appear to be a way to play in full screen and the interface is funky in the extreme. Any pointers on get the game to run well?

• Well, first off does your comp meet the minimum system requirements? Especially memory, that's the big one

Try turning down some of the graphics options to lower settings, that may help

You move by right clicking your mouse on the floor where you want to go, the arrow keys are used on ladders and stairs.

SQ uses basically the same interface as Diablo or UO, I wouldn't call it all that weird.  They don't have a full screen mode, I guess because a lot of players use ICQ or gTalk at the same time they play

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I've been playing for about a month and I'm the first to admit, the UI is clumsy at best, and yeah, the graphics are a throwback...but the gameplay is unlike anything else out there.

While every other company is investing millions to reskin the same game, these guys have actually chosen to take a risk and make something different.

Imagine a game where the admiralty is made up of actual players, where you work alongside others and earn your place rather than level grinding for the next set of gear. The galaxy in SQO was created from an actual astronomical database, with stars existing where they do in reality. There are hundreds of alien species on thousands of worlds waiting to be explored.

It takes some getting used to, I'll give you that. But it has some of the most rewarding gameplay I've ever experienced. I'd encourage anyone who's looking for a new sci-fi MMO to at least give it a shot.

• Ddgrfn11Ddgrfn11 Member Posts: 7

I've been playing SQO since May and i always find something to do....walking around inside your ship....exploring...fixing ship components (im an engineer)....working out in the gym.....practice marksmanship at the firing range....going to eat and drink in the mess hall....taking a shower...using the toilet....practicing armed and unarmed combat with your shipmates....shopping at the shopmart....doing cargo hauling, smuggling,or bounty hunting missions...healing other players with your medical and surgery skills.....taking your ship out on patrols of the home and neighboring star systems....engaging enemy races or pirates in combat.....all the ship bridge consoles are usable and you use them with a popup screen with all the console controls at your fingertips....Helm..Tactical....Engineering console to distribute power to all different systems...Computer console for missions and ship/player info...Science station for scanning nearly everything inside and outside your ship....Communications console to talk to other ships and starbases.....Operations console which controls the tractor beam...target drones for tactical practice and cargo bay/shuttle controls such as launching and retrieving......you can also be reverse engineering and fabricating items from t-shirts to starship engines......theres alot more but would take too long to list everything.....i play 2 characters(Fleet and Civilian) and both are very fun....you dont grind for the next level....if you are to be promoted in the Fleet you do it thru your accomplisments and are promoted by your peers which is alot better....the graphics are good enough and they are getting better all the time....ive made some good friends in this game and have had a blast playing it....SQO is the best sci-fi MMO ive ever played and i dont see that changing anytime soon.

Sorry if i rambled on but there was just so much to tell about the game i couldnt stop...lol

Anyway i hope that anyone who reads these topics will give StarQuest Online a go.....lots of great people there to give a hand to new players to get started...just get going in the forums there and in the chat channel and youll be on your way to a lot of fun.

Here is the link if you would like to give it a try.

http://www.castlethornsoftware.com/sq.html

To me, the game gives you the chance to play out pretty much any sci-fi scenario. I've got a Fleet character who's aboard a great ship with a great crew, which has much in common with the naval elements of Star Trek or Robotech. I've also got a civilian character who's working for a trading company and was just given command of his own ship and governance of a mining colony. Last, but not least, I've got another civilian who just acquired his own little ship that's perfect for the independent trader life a la Firefly. There are also psionic powers available in the game, and laser swords, giving you the opportunity to explore the more mystical side of sci-fi.

The most rewarding thing is when people work together. Sure, you can fly a ship on your own, maybe even try setting a course and jumping between the helm and the weapons console, but a ship will always function better with several crewmen aboard to man the stations. It's not a matter of one guy being the tank, another being the healer and a third nuking...in SQO anyone can man a station, though some people's skills may be better than others, and does the job their assigned to accomplish their goal.

I'll say it again: while I actually find the outdated graphics rather quaint, the UI is a challenge, to say the very least, but only until you've learned it. The gameplay though...man, it blows away anything else I've played. The typical MMO only holds my attention for about a month these days, because I feel like I've played it already. They just aren't trying anything new. At this point, I'm willing to make a few sacrifices to get my game on.

• lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

LOL, oops, wrong thread...hahaha, sorry.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Ddgrfn11

I've been playing SQO since May and i always find something to do....walking around inside your ship....exploring...fixing ship components (im an engineer)....working out in the gym.....practice marksmanship at the firing range....going to eat and drink in the mess hall....taking a shower...using the toilet....practicing armed and unarmed combat with your shipmates....shopping at the shopmart....doing cargo hauling, smuggling,or bounty hunting missions...healing other players with your medical and surgery skills.....taking your ship out on patrols of the home and neighboring star systems....engaging enemy races or pirates in combat.....all the ship bridge consoles are usable and you use them with a popup screen with all the console controls at your fingertips....Helm..Tactical....Engineering console to distribute power to all different systems...Computer console for missions and ship/player info...Science station for scanning nearly everything inside and outside your ship....Communications console to talk to other ships and starbases.....Operations console which controls the tractor beam...target drones for tactical practice and cargo bay/shuttle controls such as launching and retrieving......you can also be reverse engineering and fabricating items from t-shirts to starship engines......theres alot more but would take too long to list everything.....i play 2 characters(Fleet and Civilian) and both are very fun....you dont grind for the next level....if you are to be promoted in the Fleet you do it thru your accomplisments and are promoted by your peers which is alot better....the graphics are good enough and they are getting better all the time....ive made some good friends in this game and have had a blast playing it....SQO is the best sci-fi MMO ive ever played and i dont see that changing anytime soon.
    Sorry if i rambled on but there was just so much to tell about the game i couldnt stop...lol
    Anyway i hope that anyone who reads these topics will give StarQuest Online a go.....lots of great people there to give a hand to new players to get started...just get going in the forums there and in the chat channel and youll be on your way to a lot of fun.
    Here is the link if you would like to give it a try.
    http://www.castlethornsoftware.com/sq.html

OK, maybe I downloaded the wrong game here. I dont see the oppurtunity to do any of what is listed above except for using the bathroom. Once I realized my character need to go to the restroom I thought "how am I going to do this when I am having such a hard time just walking around". What am I missing here as far as all that can be done in the game? I found out how to teleport to the spacestations but where do you go to get jobs, improve skills, kill BEMs, and fly ships? I have only seen 2 NPCs other than the ticket sales people, and I could not interact with them.

That is the biggest drawback of the game, there is no newbie guide...and it desperately needs one.

The best way to get started is to post on the SQO forums, in the Crew Schedules section, that you're a new player looking to join a crew. Let them know whether you're a civilian or Fleet character, and what time zone  you're in. From there, I've found the best, and really only, way to learn is to ask a ton of questions.

I wish I could say there's an easier way, because I think the lack of a starting guide likely turns off a lot of potential players who might otherwise fall in love with this game. I think you'll find it worthwhile to give it a shot though.