Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In 2008 WoW is destroyed by...

Comments

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

...being dragged into the vacuum left behind by the implosion of doom-sayer egos around the world as the year ends and WoW is still going strong.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Ultima Online and Everquest are still going after almost a decade, and neither was ever as popular as World of Warcraft is now. In about 8 more years, WoW will probably drop off to about half a million players, and it might finally die off in 12 years or so. MMOs don't get "destroyed" by the release of a single new game.

• gman2100gman2100 Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Vladarion

Still don't know why this site is so anti-wow.  I mean the pure facts are there showing it is the best mmo out there for the mas majority of people in the world.  Blizzard, as well as their followers, just laugh at you when you rant how bad WoW is because well they make around 54 bucks every minute and we have fun with what they make.  
            Honestly WoW is so big it will never really die. There will always be followers no matter what because of all the years we have already spent there and all the friends we have made.  I really like WAR, but i really love WoW and i love WoW for its people and my guild so at this moment i am sticking to WoW.  I swear it reminds me of junior high and high school where all the emo kids sat around looking at the "Cool kids" saying "Look at them they are so stupid, i hate them" i know this cause i was one of those "emo kids"  lol.  Anyway just thought i'd put in my two cents i know it won't stop the hate from this website on WoW, but meh i feel better lol.

Yes! They are laughing at all of us while they play their level 68 battlemage elves for 11 hours a day.  I mean who wouldnt laugh at us?? We have lives! Hahahahaha pfft who wants a life when you can play a level 45 twink dwarf rogue in World of Warcraft right?

Anyway nothing will kill WoW by 2008.  Eventually in years to come it will be outdated and will be replaced by new games, just like all mmo's will.  Natural cycle of life.  And about the whole cool kid-emo reference, well, world of warcraft is known for a horrible community, unpopularity with alot of older gamers, and simplicity.  We've all tried out world of warcraft, no denying that, but it is repetitive and boring.  Trust me even you Vlad will quit after awhile.  Everyone does.  If you can tell me five people you personally know that have been around since wow beta then I will be impressed.  Heck Id be impressed with one.  OH and dont think Im saying emo people are bad or anything, that may have come out wrong.. I have a couple of friends who do the goth/emo look, fine people indeed.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

None of these will compete with WoW in my opinion. In 2009 though Guild Wars 2 I think will give Blizzard a run for their money. A persistent world with NO monthly fee. I also would not count out Bioware because they make really good games.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

I think that whenever Bioware finishes their MMORPG and puts it on the market - that will be the day that WoW has to split the subscription market to any large degree.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

But Bioware suck the big 111.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Only threat I can see is Blizzard making a sub-standard expansion. Unfortunately for them, the next one isn't  looking all that great...

That said, I'm personally going for WAR and Pirates of the Burning Sea.

• ThalianosThalianos Member Posts: 24

I don't know if WoW will be defeated, honestly.  I've not played WoW in a long time, so this isn't fan-boyism!  I just think that, with its massive popularity, it is nothing less then a titan.  My vote for best chance at it?  Age of Conan.  Hopefully it will appeal to the older MMO'ers out there...

This is actually a random occurrence.

• foulu625foulu625 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by tdub

FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!
    World of Warcraft may have 9million subscribes but they aren't the biggest game nor ever will be!  The amount of World of Warcraft players is avg in Mmo's today.

Yes its the biggest subscription based game. but its avg for amount of players.

SuN Online still in beta in China I Believe and p2p in TB and F2p in Korea has over 20+ million log on's of different accounts world wide (EU and US version still in dev beta) Lineage 2 had over 14 million accounts.

They are Asian so I know must of you will say word for word

"Their Asian Mmo's they don't count"  America/EU never mind EU is stepping away from us and going more Asian style mmo's.  America is about 15% or less of MMO players world wide.  the other 75% are EU and Asian since their games are turning more and more into the same style.

Most game companies now wont even open/lis their games for American devs. Its a money waste.

SO..... STOP SAYING IT! IM sick of this dam community complaining about everything and thinking they know all the facts about every game they played only ten minutes off, MMOsite.com here I come at least their they try the game for about a week and see what more then 5 mins gets them

NOOBS IM OUT I WONT READ YOUR FLAMES!!

WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN LIFE YOU WARHAMMER LOSER FANS TCOS AND TR FOR LIFE!

Those are just accounts. Not actual players. WoW has 9 million active accounts, whereas those two shitty games you named have less than half a million actively playing. Bigger text and talking like a little kid doesn't make you any more right either. L2spell and L2notberetarded.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You forgot none of the above in your list as it is the only choice.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

While I won't say that ALL asian mmos suck balls I have to remind that 9 million WoW account includes all user base around the world this includes the Chinese/Asian userbase (3.5M), North American US and Canada (2.5M) and European (3.5M). While WoW doesn't have as much population as asian based mmos it is a title that is AAA+ in terms of game quality. Also let's face it the american model and asian mmo payment model are different. In NA you pay Blizzard $15 flat rate a month while asian MMOs do allows flat rate subscription, their normal payment method is on a per session/per hour basis and as value added service to Internet Bangs/Cafes.

See, in asia the internet cafe usually ties up with an MMO game company, and offer MMO services as an value added service that is a part of the internet subscription (or with separate charges) that the internet cafe charges on a per hour or per usage basis. So yeah you can eventually have 10-20-100 million "accounts" made over a long period of time that the game is being offered this does not mean that ALL players are continually playing it, it only means that they have created that particular account for a particular customer who may or may not come back to play the game again. Also in Asia, you do not pay for a boxed game for an MMO, most mmos are downloaded from the web or already pre-loaded in a gaming cafe or internet cafe PC.

• FerusaFerusa Member Posts: 211

2008=the year of Silkroad online, you may laugh now..but soon you will come to me for advice on which game to get psyched about.

Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

The comment on the Asian MMO's being the direction is very misleading. For the Asian market that may be the case but for the US and EU markets no. Those statements with huge crappy letters are... 

• Leonatos65Leonatos65 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Unless aliens invade Earth and blast us back into the Stone Age I don't see any game destroying WOW in 2008.

So wheres that MMO?!? ....sounds like fun,

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

WoW will definitely survive "all of the above".  Love it or hate it, it is hard to deny that WoW is obviously extremely carefully marketed and operated by Blizzard - they are smart, they have a massive cash inflow so no matter what they went to their investors and said "we need to do this to beat away game x" then their investors would probably say "sure, do it, we trust you."

Long term WoW is likely to actually be threatened only by console-based MMORPGs, if (real if) people like Sony and Microsoft can get that area of the market to really take off.  Personally I was deeply disappointed that Shadowrun came out in XBox - what should have been one of the great MMORPGs of all time ended up in a platform I don't have so I do not know if they just gutted it back to a FPS game with fantasy skins in suits.

In terms of games on the horizon that could really dent WoW, WAR has potential, AoC won't really because of it's higher rating (the core WoW market seems to be 12 year old male, there are more of them every year and to them all the content is "new"), and higher ratings bring in the "mom" factor for sure.  In terms of IP strength and proven design capability I would be very interested in what CCP / White Wolf eventually come up with.  World of Darkness, if they design in mass appeal mechanics to overlay EVE style depth and mega-complexity, could really have some real potential.  The way CCP has gone about EVE, I would be unsurprised if they went for that - the entire World of Darkness (modern) as one game, with a very very big play area.  I doubt they would never aim to be a "WoW killer", as to do that tends towards needing "12 year old love this!" (i.e. 30 year old professionals will finish the content then get bored and leave too soon), and CCP's customer model with EVE has been to go for fewer players who sub for a very long time rather than higher numbers with more "churn".  Welcome to the WoD, choose your side: Keepers of Society's Order, The Way of the Moon, The Old Ways, Anarchist, or Food that Talks".  Or they will make it a FPS splatter game where you play a Technocracy operative taking out warewolves and vampires as you try to clear out the overrun lab complex, with CCP you never really know I suppose ...   

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

Aliens invade Earth - Tabula Rasa

Back into the Stone Age - probably Age of Conan

• jararjarar Member Posts: 2

Guildwars 2...  Guildwars was one of the best games I've played... Second only to wow. Even thought I hate the blizzard MMO grind machine, I have to admit that they have done many things right. Obviously, being the biggest thing out there, they have many critics... Guildwars 2, being a persistent world, and introducing more PVE while keeping the awesome PVP aspect of the game will be great I think. Or if not, blizzard will probably come up with another title when they've run out of things to do in wow, or make another warcraft RTS to progress the storyline and get LORE back on track.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Depends how you define destroyed. I would definitely say that it's prime days will be over and it will lose subscribers slow or quickly but it wont die for quite some time due to the addictive nature of being a competitive raider and wanting to be able to brag about your accomplishments and gear.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

WoW is very popular, You know what else is popular?

Halo

George W. Bush

American Idol

Dancing with the stars

Justin Timberlake

lets face it people, if it's bad - it's popular.  That's because most people aren't that smart. Sad, but true.

There is a lot of people out there playing a lot of great games that are not WoW.  Personally I'm having the gaming time of my live with civ 4, and then I'll be playing HG:L.  People that are playing WoW are missing out on some great gaming.

In most things in life I use popularity to guide me, as to what not to do.  What TV not to watch, what music not to listen to.  Gaming has finally caught up to the other entertainment industries.

• On the contrary WoW is an easy game, you can be casual and fit in raids because everyone and their dog can get a level 70.  Tougher games are not as mainstream but WoW definitly created alot of hardcore gamers and offered a casual game that still had its fun moments.

• napalmninjanapalmninja Member UncommonPosts: 114

hmmm what about a resident evil mmo or something of that sort like a zombie horror survival game where you have to work with each other and utilize each others skills to survive idk could happen maybe. . . . . . . . or not

• muaddib101muaddib101 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Halo

George W. Bush

American Idol

Dancing with the stars

Justin Timberlake

lets face it people, if it's bad - it's popular.  That's because most people aren't that smart. Sad, but true.

There is a lot of people out there playing a lot of great games that are not WoW.  Personally I'm having the gaming time of my live with civ 4, and then I'll be playing HG:L.  People that are playing WoW are missing out on some great gaming.
    In most things in life I use popularity to guide me, as to what not to do.  What TV not to watch, what music not to listen to.  Gaming has finally caught up to the other entertainment industries.

Who told you G.W. popular? His approval rating is at like 30 something percent.

But,  I digress. you are correct in one regard. just because something is popular, that does not make it good. HOWEVER, it does not automatically make it bad, either.

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810

In 2008 WoW is destroyed by ...

... a sudden massive rise in Intelligence levels worldwide ?

(Oh I crack  myself up I really do)

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Originally posted by Roin

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Halo

George W. Bush

American Idol

Dancing with the stars

Justin Timberlake

I swear the posting just gets more retarded as the days go by.  GreenChaos, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Just when I think posting on this board couldn't get any more stupider.   You post something so asinine that I find myself amazed.  You've proven that there is much more room for retarded post then I thought humanly possible.  So stand up and take a bow.  I look forward to seeing what other unsubstantiated, and utter illogical crap, you can post up next time.

Haha more stupider...

• GoplyGoply Member Posts: 48

I beleave what Green is trying to tell people is that, you need to get out more and be informed about things dont waste your time with all this zombieware stuff that is out there... GW Bush is popular, someone can say GW, Bush, that ahole president and everyone knows who your talking about correct? or am I wrong?

"Sticking with what works doesn't make good games, it remakes them, I quit playing that a while ago.
    After all, no artist got anywhere from repainting the Mona Lisa as a black women in a white dress...

It's about the paintin man, it's about the paintin..." -Goply