Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about this game

PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

1) Is it FFA PVP? (can I kill people on my own team if I wanted to?)
2) Is there corpse looting (is it 100% corpse looting?)
3) Can I fly at all? (flying mounts, anything that can fly?)
4) Are there boats I can own/control?
5) Is there housing?
6) Are there instances?
7) Can I swim?
8) Is it FPS, or 3rd Person Shooter?
9) Is there a radar/coords for every character, or is it navigation by landmarks?
10) Are there vendors and player-run economy?
11) Are there character classes or am I free to do as I please?
12) Is it level-based, or skill-based? (do I have to grind to the highest level before it starts getting fun?)
13) Is this a quest grind-fest, or is it really a fun sandbox?
14) Do creatures spawn and remain in the same location repeatedly? Or do they roam?
15) Is this game gear-dependant, or can a new player compete?
16) Are there spammers trying to get you to buy things online everywhere?

Any answers are appreciated. Please refrain from flaming, these are honest questions.

Thanks,
- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Comments

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

I'm not a regular, so my answers might not be completely accurate. I'm sure an actual player will correct my errors eventually...

1) If you play as barbarian, yes. Romans don't kill each other in the game.
    2) One of your equipped items (random) can be looted.
    3) Nope. The game aims for realism.
    4) No
    5) Yes
    6) No
    7) If you have enough skills for it
    8) Mainly first person but not what you call a "shooter"
    9) Landmarks and a "sense of direction" skill
    10) Yes
    11) No classes. The game is skillbased
    12) Skillbased. (And fun is subjective, RV is not "fun enough" for me)
    13) No ;)
    14) I believe they roam, but I've never seen any creature else than NPC trainers, guards and merchants
    15) There are no "epic" gear. A new player can compete (in PVP)
    16) Nope

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

1) Is it FFA PVP? (can I kill people on my own team if I wanted to?)

Yes. The map is divided into square kilometers, called boards. These boards are to scale, so the map is huge. Out of 900 square kilometers there are probably less than 10 that are under direct protection of Roman authority, where the only restriction is that Romans cannot kill each other, but Freemen are free to do as they please, anywhere.

2) Is there corpse looting (is it 100% corpse looting?)

Yes, but it is limited to one item and the corpse disappears. This is a big disappointment for many. Originally the game was stated to feature full loot in PvP, but it has not been implemented yet.

3) Can I fly at all? (flying mounts, anything that can fly?)

No, Roma Victor is a virtual world in a literal sense. Unless it existed 2000 years ago in ancient Roman times, don't expect to see it. There may however eventually be a fantasy aspect in Elysium, which is that land you are sent to upon death. But so far, it's just the empty plains of hell.

4) Are there boats I can own/control?

Not yet.

5) Is there housing?

Yes. You may either rent or build housing. Renting is fairly cheap and easy. However, constructing a hut or building yourself is very expensive and time consuming. But, that should keep housing valuable in the long run. You may rent out any housing you own to other players and it will make deposits into your bank, which is nice.

6) Are there instances?

No! Everything is real-time.

7) Can I swim?

Yes.

8) Is it FPS, or 3rd Person Shooter?

You can toggle back and forth by pressing the Home key.

9) Is there a radar/coords for every character, or is it navigation by landmarks?

No radar! Aside from creating maps, what you can see with your eyes, is what you see.

10) Are there vendors and player-run economy?

Yes there are player vendors and a player-run economy. Almost everything is craftable and craftable items have real value. However, another very disappointing design for many players is that the player vendors are not limited in availability by the expense that it costs to keep them operating, they are artificially and severely limited by game mechanics to a certain small number per board. This means that a handful of players may purchase them all and hold a monopoly. There is one small twist to this though, player vendors can be killed and when they are, they become available for hire again.

11) Are there character classes or am I free to do as I please?

You are completely free to develop your skills and build your character any way you like from all available skills.

12) Is it level-based, or skill-based? (do I have to grind to the highest level before it starts getting fun?)

No levels, it's all skill. As with anything, you will need skill in order to compete with those that already have it. That means that if you want to compete with the best as quickly as possible, then the fastest route is grinding your way there. However, any player is capable and has a chance of killing any other player; in this sense it is more like real life than a video game. In other words, a couple of stabs with a spear to the face of most anyone, has a chance of killing them.

13) Is this a quest grind-fest, or is it really a fun sandbox?

There are no necessary quests, as mentioned above, it's all about skill and real experience. It's one of the best sandboxes out there.

14) Do creatures spawn and remain in the same location repeatedly? Or do they roam?

They roam around and you actually have to hunt them down.

15) Is this game gear-dependant, or can a new player compete?

Gear has it's advantages, but not drastically. A naked new player with a spear can effectively stab and kill, especially in groups.

No spammers at all.

However, with all that said, the biggest issues for this game are lag and performance related, and they have been since the very start. It has improved, but it's still not acceptable for combat in the main areas of the game. Another related issue that causes great concern for many is the slow development. Both issues are related to the small independent developer, but if it was not for them being a small independent developer, then we would not have the sandbox that we do. It's a double-edged sword.

Yet, there's no better virtual world sandbox out there.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Phos

Any answers are appreciated. Please refrain from flaming, these are honest questions.
    Thanks,

- Phos
    Maybe you should ask the active population of this game first.pointless spamming a ghost town.Also add to fact you can legally buy ingame cash for real cash ,it is not 100% viable to go to a price war with the company's own sales.

So short answer is no .But for reason of its not a viable market with such an extremely low population

It is a profoundly superior design to have the very developers and owners of a game - the people who care more about the game than anyone else - controlling the in-game economy, currency, and inflation, rather than a sweat-shop or third party "gold seller," macroer, or scripter who could care less about the game and whose main interest is simply to put a few bucks in their wallet.

• papacapjackpapacapjack Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by sempiternal

It is a profoundly superior design to have the very developers and owners of a game - the people who care more about the game than anyone else - controlling the in-game economy, currency, and inflation, rather than a sweat-shop or third party "gold seller," macroer, or scripter who could care less about the game and whose main interest is simply to put a few bucks in their wallet.

Controlling it? LOL there is no cap, inflation has risen extremely high at some points of the game and even still remains above average, get your act together semp people will think your bad at putting spin on these things.

Here's what papacapjack had to say about Roma Victor before he was banned:

Originally posted by papacapjack

may I recomend roma victor.
    I followed the same route as you mate, 2d runescape to pre-cu and even bareable CU swg.
    couldnt find a thing to fill that swgish void, no game seem to have as much depth as SWG and one of the worst games I was lulled into playing was WoW.
    but then I found roma-victor, and I became a beliver in the face of dispare.
  • papacapjackpapacapjack Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by sempiternal

Here's what papacapjack had to say about Roma Victor before he was banned:

may I recomend roma victor.
    I followed the same route as you mate, 2d runescape to pre-cu and even bareable CU swg.
    couldnt find a thing to fill that swgish void, no game seem to have as much depth as SWG and one of the worst games I was lulled into playing was WoW.
    but then I found roma-victor, and I became a beliver in the face of dispare.

I believe that was post release even, I have had much more long winded posts about the faults of the game long before I was banned, it doesnt even bother me I got banned, friends have given & offered me thier accounts, thats because A I have friends unlike you, B the game is so crap people will give thier accounts away.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Hmm actually i forgot my password since i recently build a new system and gave the one with RV on it to a friend after wiping the HDD.

Would emailing them help as i would like to give this junk piece away

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Controlling it? LOL there is no cap, inflation has risen extremely high at some points of the game and even still remains above average, get your act together semp people will think your bad at putting spin on these things.
    Inflation has risen extremely high at some points of the game?

Other than a moderate increase in the price of resources one can only buy from NPC merchants like goat carcasses, dung, and saltwater, the price of everything else that over time players have learned how to make and in large quantities has gone down.  Despite the economy still being somewhat small and limited, at least on the roman side where my guild operates, the law of supply and demand, definately apply in Roma Victor.

Example:  My guild was one of the first to hunt down animals in large quantities when they were introduced back in January and I immediately made as many fur boots as I could.  I would sell out almost instantly and for a tidy sum.  Now, more people know how and where to hunt making the wolf pelts more plentiful, and there are also more people with leatherworking skill to make the boots.  I certainly can't sell boots for the price I once got for them unless an unguilded new player comes by and asks for a pair.

• jsw40jsw40 Member Posts: 214

I was going to try this game out, but considering there they don't take PayPal I wont even bother.

• jdagjdag Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by jsw40

I was going to try this game out, but considering there they don't take PayPal I wont even bother.

Wise decision. The community is crap nowadays. The forums are filled with idiots posting you did that we did that bs.

Romans vs. Barbarians

Barbarian: We hate Romans.

Roman: We hate Barbarians.

Roman: You exploit.

Barbarian: No you exploit.

Barbarian: We killed you.

Roman: I crashed so the kill doesn't count.

Barbarian: We still killed you.

Roman: Screw you exploiter!

Barbarian: Be quiet.

Roman: You be quiet you know crap.

Barbarian: You did the same exploit we did.

Roman: I did it because you did it.

Barbarian: You still exploited.

Roman: I did not exploit because you did it first.

Barbarian: Hypocrites

Dev: Everyone just stfu. Don't exploit or you will be suspended for 7 days and tied to the cross!

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by jdag

Originally posted by jsw40

Wise decision. The community is crap nowadays. The forums are filled with idiots posting you did that we did that bs.

Romans vs. Barbarians

Barbarian: We hate Romans.

Roman: We hate Barbarians.

Roman: You exploit.

Barbarian: No you exploit.

Barbarian: We killed you.

Roman: I crashed so the kill doesn't count.

Barbarian: We still killed you.

Roman: Screw you exploiter!

Barbarian: Be quiet.

Roman: You be quiet you know crap.

Barbarian: You did the same exploit we did.

Roman: I did it because you did it.

Barbarian: You still exploited.

Roman: I did not exploit because you did it first.

Barbarian: Hypocrites

Dev: Everyone just stfu. Don't exploit or you will be suspended for 7 days and tied to the cross!

Yes Romans and Barbs have their fights on the forums due to the fact that there is so much rivalry going on but believe me if you join the game you will find a great community willing to help you and get you started wheter you go Roman or Freeman. There is a huge effort currenly underway in Erring to bring in more new players and it's becoming a really really nice settlement thanks to two member's of the 18th(my guild) and a friend of the 18th. Corstopitum the home settlement of the Romans is really nice too you will find upon entering the game that people are wiling to bend over backwards to help you. Don't let naysayers like jdag sway your opinion. 

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

Someone that asks "Can I fly / are there flying mounts?" is definitively looking at the wrong game.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• jdagjdag Member Posts: 48

I was talking about the forums not in-game. I will say one thing though. The forums have gotten better these past few days. And yes I play this game and I know fully well what is going on in game and on the forums so don't tell me i'm all bs.

Reality is people need to know the negatives as well as the positives. To tell people to ignore the bad things that people are saying about this game is just plain ignorant.

Originally posted by jdag

I was talking about the forums not in-game. I will say one thing though. The forums have gotten better these past few days. And yes I play this game and I know fully well what is going on in game and on the forums so don't tell me i'm all bs.
    Reality is people need to know the negatives as well as the positives. To tell people to ignore the bad things that people are saying about this game is just plain ignorant.

I agree there are positives and negatives to RV, I never said you were BS i was simply stating my point of view. Hopefully the forums will stay semi-peaceful for a while and we get those big updates that are looming on the horizon.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Vepgenus

I agree there are positives and negatives to RV, I never said you were BS i was simply stating my point of view. Hopefully the forums will stay semi-peaceful for a while and we get those big updates that are looming on the horizon.

It's getting quieter because people are stopping logging in. The Escalation scheduled for end of May is 11 weeks overdue. And still a delay with no real answer to when their AI issues will be solved so they can get it out. People are moving on, tired of waiting, and knowing that when it does arrive, it'll be another month before it's probably functional. They will be deploying it without the needed skills for building guildhalls , so therefore it will cost a fortune in money to make a guildhall that has a decent quality level, and thats besides the original cost of the deed.

God forbid anyone expect any real additions or preformance resolutions before 2008. This game is not like a fine wine where it gets better with age, more like milk, it leaves a sour taste.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

Originally posted by blutigfaust

Originally posted by Vepgenus

It's getting quieter because people are stopping logging in. The Escalation scheduled for end of May is 11 weeks overdue. And still a delay with no real answer to when their AI issues will be solved so they can get it out. People are moving on, tired of waiting, and knowing that when it does arrive, it'll be another month before it's probably functional. They will be deploying it without the needed skills for building guildhalls , so therefore it will cost a fortune in money to make a guildhall that has a decent quality level, and thats besides the original cost of the deed.

God forbid anyone expect any real additions or preformance resolutions before 2008. This game is not like a fine wine where it gets better with age, more like milk, it leaves a sour taste.

I have to disagree on a few points, i know in my guild some people are taking breaks until we get guildhalls in the game finally, people are taking breaks not leaving the game entirely they will be back when we get the next big update. RB is doing something they've never done before they are making sure all the bugs are out of a major deploy which I think is great, sure we have to wait a little bit longer but it will be worth it.

As for the cost of a deed it really depends they are quite cheap if you are a freeman, roman deeds are more expensive of course but i know for a fact that 75% of the roman guilds have enough sesterces saved up to purchase thier deed already.

• juv95hrnjuv95hrn Member UncommonPosts: 12

I bought a lifetime account during beta-development to support this small, independent game since I immensely enjoy the idea of a skill based, class-less, realistic historical MMO. I do agree with that graphics, lag, game content leave something to long for improvement. I'm ready to give the developers a few years to get their game to a level where I am sure it will be very nice and fill a niche where today there exist no other similar game. (Or if there is let me know.)

Keep going RV!

• Dicer174Dicer174 Member Posts: 3

I just found this game online a couple of days ago while looking for a new mmorpg to amuse myself with.  Is this a game that you have to play hardcore to enjoy or can i play a 4-6 hours a week and sometimes not at all?

Matt