Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS is the "new look" of the game? LMAO!

leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS11.jpg

Oh man...bravo, EA, bravo. Better stick to the yearly sports rehashes and Battlefield...

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

Comments

• cokethorpecokethorpe Member Posts: 2

What are you talking about man??? it is better that UO doesn't have that much of a drastic change in the graphics, this MMORPG which basically paved the way for MMOs as we know them today. So i don't understand why your laughing at the Great grandfather of MMOs, still to this day UO is an amazing game and it would lose its UO charm if they updated it to the current day graphics.

• leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Originally posted by cokethorpe

What are you talking about man??? it is better that UO doesn't have that much of a drastic change in the graphics, this MMORPG which basically paved the way for MMOs as we know them today. So i don't understand why your laughing at the Great grandfather of MMOs, still to this day UO is an amazing game and it would lose its UO charm if they updated it to the current day graphics.

The game looks nearly identical to what I remember when I was a subscriber. And the whole 'paved the way' for every MMO is a bit of an exaggeration. There were games before UO that did the same thing, even better...The Realm, Empiriana...UO was just the most popular.

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

You are right, there were games before UO that offered a similar feel.  But none ever did it as well, and none would have given us so much to build off from.  UO has been the gold standard that many games are always compared to, without it where would we be today in the MMO industry.  

Makes me think about what I'd be doing today if I never played UO. 

• jaharjahar Member Posts: 234

um, i dont know when you played UO, but i played in 98, and again in 04(i think), and that screenshot hardly looks the same to me. some of the terrain looks similar, and maybe closer to the last time i played, but id hardly say the same.. the avatar and portrait, and UI are all different. And besides.. that generation of graphics is part of what made it. It was a hell of a game in its day, id never trash it.. yeah it is dated by today's standards, but, ya know, f**k grahics. however good they are, you forget 5 minutes in. I dont know why everyone is soo obsessed with graphics.. I blame square and ff7 for this obsession with pretty colors and shiny objects... content and gameplay are what really matters. and I personally don't think any game out there can touch UO in those terms. But the experience isnt what it once was, due to times changing.. And I would agree that UO did pave the way for the genre.. maybe it wasn't the first out, but it was the one that made people notice, and really beginning the genre. Hence the " paving the way".

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by jahar

um, i dont know when you played UO, but i played in 98, and again in 04(i think), and that screenshot hardly looks the same to me. some of the terrain looks similar, and maybe closer to the last time i played, but id hardly say the same.. the avatar and portrait, and UI are all different. And besides.. that generation of graphics is part of what made it. It was a hell of a game in its day, id never trash it.. yeah it is dated by today's standards, but, ya know, f**k grahics. however good they are, you forget 5 minutes in. I dont know why everyone is soo obsessed with graphics.. I blame square and ff7 for this obsession with pretty colors and shiny objects... content and gameplay are what really matters. and I personally don't think any game out there can touch UO in those terms. But the experience isnt what it once was, due to times changing.. And I would agree that UO did pave the way for the genre.. maybe it wasn't the first out, but it was the one that made people notice, and really beginning the genre. Hence the " paving the way".

Agreed!!  It could be stick figures for all I care as long as it play's well and creates competition in pvp.

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

Thats how you feel :P but graphic in some games, DAOC, wow, UO makes my eyes bleed. TBH i prefer the asian style. Still i can play these games for a while but they never apeal to me in the way that games with nice drawing.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by rishaki

Thats how you feel :P but graphic in some games, DAOC, wow, UO makes my eyes bleed. TBH i prefer the asian style. Still i can play these games for a while but they never apeal to me in the way that games with nice drawing.

Just out of curiosity, what are some MMOs that you like the graphics of?

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Originally posted by leshtricity

Oh man...bravo, EA, bravo. Better stick to the yearly sports rehashes and Battlefield...

Hhhmmm...

image | image

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by leshtricity

EA published Battlefield, i believe.

However,  a lot of people look at the new games today and compare it to the older games, then go on a rant about it without even considering the age and respect of the game. It's the same with the FPS'ers dissing the early versions of Quake and Unreal Tournament while comparing it to Gears of Wars and the utmost overrated game of all time.. Halo. Whereas these games wouldn't be here without the founding fathers it just disgusts me in everyway.

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

I personnaly think it looks great.

• chicken0chicken0 Member Posts: 13

I like how you choose the most plain screenshot of the bunch to link to the forum to try to make your point.

I think they did a damn good job trying to pretty up a game that is 10 years old. Especially considering the game is 2D top down.

Here are some better looking screenshots:
    http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS02.jpg
    http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS06.jpg
    http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS07.jpg

And before you call me a fan boy, I have not played UO since 2002.