Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: World Q&A: Tollana

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The good people at Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment have provided us with this Q&A (and some new screenshots) featuring Tallona, a world familiar to fans of the franchise. While we didn't write the questions, we think it's a great introduction to the world. They've also provided us with some great screenshots, renders and concept art!

Question:

Having a license like Stargate can be an immense benefit and challenge for a developer. Can you tell us some of the ways you are using it that fans of the series and gamers who aren't fans will both appreciate?
Answer:

From day one we have had a priority of telling a great story with our game. The heritage of Stargate means we have a huge reservoir of history to draw on and we wanted to make Stargate Worlds more than just an MMORPG grind in space.

For example, there is an arc in SG-1 that covers seasons one, three and five concerning the Tollan. In season one, Stargate Command plays a role in helping the technologically advanced Tollan escape from their dying planet and find a new home. In return, Earth and the Tollan form an alliance. Unfortunately, treachery among the Tollan leads to disaster and they are practically wiped out by the Goa'uld.

As Stargate Worlds evolves, players will be able to experience Tollana in both states. They will be able to see the beautiful pristine parks and the shining towers. They will also experience the devastation of a war brought to them by the Goa'uld.

Check out the feature here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• sgtbencsgtbenc Member Posts: 13

Nice cool Screenshots. Personally, I'd rather see more worlds known to the Show's watchers than new ones.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by sgtbenc

Nice cool Screenshots. Personally, I'd rather see more worlds known to the Show's watchers than new ones.
    You mean like in Star Wars Fan Films --- "Jedi in the Woods"?

Joke Joke    I would love to see more of Gou'ald tech and see how standard team (3-6 members) work and how solo charaters can exist.  SG is about team work to overcome with some military protocal, IMO.  The SGC is gonna look really different as a MMO.  Larger hallways and bigger training areas will seem out of place to what I have seen in the show.

Critical aside,(I would say the same for STO) I look forward to more Stargate info.  Its one of my favorite shows. 

Originally posted by JYCowboy

Originally posted by sgtbenc

You mean like in Star Wars Fan Films --- "Jedi in the Woods"?

Joke Joke    I would love to see more of Gou'ald tech and see how standard team (3-6 members) work and how solo charaters can exist.  SG is about team work to overcome with some military protocal, IMO.  The SGC is gonna look really different as a MMO.  Larger hallways and bigger training areas will seem out of place to what I have seen in the show.

Critical aside,(I would say the same for STO) I look forward to more Stargate info.  Its one of my favorite shows. 

I'm betting that either you won't be able to go to the SGC, or it'll be an instanced training ground only. How would it look to have hundreds of people sitting around at the same place?

• RPattonRPatton Member UncommonPosts: 11

I love the new Interview and 2 new pics of it. I hope during month of Steptember we'll see more goodies.:)

Originally posted by RyanPatton

I love the new Interview and 2 new pics of it. I hope during month of Steptember we'll see more goodies.:)

It appears that we will see more this month: http://forums.stargateworlds.com/showthread.php?p=204722#post204722
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

I really hope this game doesn't end up like DDO/Guild Wars in that it's simply instanced areas.  That would really suck the soul right out of what could be a great game.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Sadly the features they mentioned can only be done with massive instancing......kinda sucks.

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

Well, i think that multiple instanced areas can be great as long as the grouping system covers it and there is still a mix of soloable content.

I found Guild Wars a little lonely but DDO worked really well, its a great game considering it's so compact. Loads of fun!

I'd be very interested ot see how this turns out :)

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Tollan Tech. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollan_technology_in_Stargate

Kinda obscure material, i watched the series semi-regularly and don't remember them.

• snoopy20snoopy20 Member Posts: 85

First off, i absolutely love Stargate so i am not bashing it here. But i am already getting ready to be let down by another fantastic story going to pot in a wow-clone style of game. *kill xxx mobs for lv xxx, take x to y for exp for lv xxx, need lv xxx for gear with +xyz* Lets hope they go outside the box. Do not try and aim for the 12-16 demographic. make a story driven game that will appeal to fans of the series and not just try and make a quick buck off the name *Stargate*. Though i think im wasting my time hoping.

Currently playing: Planetside, Americas Army.

Praying to Zeus for: Darkfall.

Why not check out the Stargate Worlds Wiki? Lots of good information there.