Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love or Hate we are missing the point

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I see a lot of fans begging and waiting for this game to come out and the other side screaming vaporware.  I would love to see it released but if it does or doesn't its not the point.

What this game promises is exactly what the gaming community has been seeking for a very long time now.  So either Darkfall comes out and takes a large chunk of the market over night or some other company will have to come up with a game that has the same features.  

Its downright frustrating having so many large releases coming out and I am almost 90% sure they are all going to be WOW 2 or a better version of Vanguard.  Either way after 3 months masses will be quitting. 

When will companies learn this is what we want!

Come on guys, prove all the vaporware theorists wrong and bring this great game out.  (Or someone else do it!)

Comments

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

The voice of reason cries out... and falls on deaf ears, most likely.

But this is exactly why I support Darkfall.  In fact, your post sums up my point of view perfectly.  Please get out of my mind.

• muaddib101muaddib101 Member Posts: 47

Totally agree. If only it comes out, it will be awesome. But, as someone who has been waiting for this game for years, I'm not holding my breath.

• mmonkeymmonkey Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by Token1337Guy

But this is exactly why I support Darkfall.  In fact, your post sums up my point of few perfectly.  Please get out of my mind.
    point of view.

Yah. I hope it comes out if for no other reason than to have a virtual world with emphasis on freedom, rather than restrictions. The only problem is that freedom is notoriously hard to control and balance...

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by mmonkey

But this is exactly why I support Darkfall.  In fact, your post sums up my point of few perfectly.  Please get out of my mind.
    point of view.

Yah. I hope it comes out if for no other reason than to have a virtual world with emphasis on freedom, rather than restrictions. The only problem is that freedom is notoriously hard to control and balance...

I love making typos like that.
  • I hope this game comes out and has everything they promised.  But their so far ahead on what everyone else is doing and being a small company makes it even harder.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

heh good post OP couldn't have stated it better myself. I see soooooo may posts here on these forums discussing Sandbox ideas its funny how much of that was covered in their game design for DF.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by chryses
    What this game promises is exactly what the gaming community has been seeking for a very long time now.  So either Darkfall comes out and takes a large chunk of the market over night or some other company will have to come up with a game that has the same features.  
    Its downright frustrating having so many large releases coming out and I am almost 90% sure they are all going to be WOW 2 or a better version of Vanguard.  Either way after 3 months masses will be quitting. 
    I would not say the gaming community as a whole. DF will hit a niche group and be lucky to hit 300K subscribers. That is a good number for an MMO though and easily one they can profit from. This is of course considering the game is stable and has most of the features promised.

As to most MMOs emulating existing ones... you have to remember these are companies that want to make money. Until there is a major shift in the subscriber base you will see more of the same. I think your estimation about 3 months before subscriber decline is a bit naive. LotRO is a prime example, it has no real PvP and emulates WoW quite closely. While it has not hit huge numbers... It has hit respectable numbers for an MMO and their subscriber base is still going well after 3 months. I think you are hoping these games will tank more then making logical assumptions based on industry evidence.

I think DF is a great concept but you have to realize that "we" are a small minority in the MMO community. The harsh death penalty alone will drive customers away in droves. Most people that play want little risk and great rewards... DF if released with the features promised... offers great risk with minor reward.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

I agree with you Atziluh, a game like Darkfall is just for a niche, at least at the moment.

Dont forget, the most online gamers are not grown-up enough to realize it, i personally think, that you really have to play games like WoW or other first, and get bored by their repitiveness before you even understand, why a game like Darkfall is as good as we think it is concept-wise. Darkfall is a game for mmorpg veterans, and within this group only for the pvp orientated part.. and this is after all a quite small niche.. even if i think that 300k subs, could be possible, and if they catch the competitive online fps gamers, a little bit more, but nevertheless just a niche. (however, if DF is stable and good, i would really be happy with 200k subs.. more than enough to be successful)

About.. offers great risk with minor rewards. Well, if you compare it to other mmorpgs this may be true, but if you look a little bit deeper, it is more like balanced risk&reward, because all others mmorpgs nowadays are for the quick reward, with little to no riks.. it is even a inflation of reward, if you ask me. Well the stick with the carrot principle.

@Vajuras: True, but nevertheless all those posters are mmorpg veterans, and even the most part of them UO veterans like me. So nevertheless this is never the majority of the mmorpg community, the majority is the silent(never posting or reading forums like this) and casually mmorpg gamer.

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

This game will never release, i have followed it since.. years and nothing have changed really. If it is released it will be by far worse than vanguard at release

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

If they'd release just what they promised it would be then they'd have all the "oldschool" mmorpg players at their knees.Unfortunatly i don't see it happening.Even if they do release this game ever i don't see them adding all the good stuff they promised.So then you'll have what we see in a lot of mmorpg's:" Yeah we didn't add this and that and that and....but we'll add it in the next expansion".And then you know it'll never ever get into the game.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I've given this game a lot of slack for the fact this is a HUGE mmo project done by a rather small team.

The fact that this is a HUGE mmo project done by a small team will either make it or break it but I'm not the one to cry wolf before Ive seen it myself.

If Darkfall delivers all it promises, I promise I'll be having orgasm every 3 minutes of gameplay. If not, oh well...

I wont hold my breath one way or another.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by rishaki

This game will never release, i have followed it since.. years and nothing have changed really. If it is released it will be by far worse than vanguard at release

So what you are saying is that the game will not be available, BUT if it does it will be bad? What are you basing this statement on? I personally feel that with the current state of the industry this game will never be released, my opinion. But if it doesn't get cancelled then what it will be like after release will is unforseeable. Let me guess, you just like to type Vanguard in your posts right?

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Twohededboy

So what you are saying is that the game will not be available, BUT if it does it will be bad? What are you basing this statement on? I personally feel that with the current state of the industry this game will never be released, my opinion. But if it doesn't get cancelled then what it will be like after release will is unforseeable. Let me guess, you just like to type Vanguard in your posts right?

This game shoudn't be compared to Vanguard. It should be compared to Roma Victor, Mourning, and Dark And Light.

They were all made by small companies who never made a MMORPG before, and promised revolutionary games.

They all turned out to be complete disasters.

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by ghoul31

Originally posted by Twohededboy

This game shoudn't be compared to Vanguard. It should be compared to Roma Victor, Mourning, and Dark And Light.

They were all made by small companies who never made a MMORPG before, and promised revolutionary games.

They all turned out to be complete disasters.

Yet there were differences in the games. Mostly money and time which DF has enough of.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I see a lot of fans begging and waiting for this game to come out and the other side screaming vaporware.  I would love to see it released but if it does or doesn't its not the point.
    Come on guys, prove all the vaporware theorists wrong and bring this great game out.  (Or someone else do it!)

I realy hope more will gonne playit not only the hardcore pvp players.

But im affraid the ones who realy wanne see this game hit the market is mainly open pvp oriented players, most who are hardcore.

DFO is a totally free gamestyle so its for many style of players!

Future will tell everything but when i dunno:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I think DF could easily cater for both PvE and PvP players.  I look at EVE as an example.   The playing world 'universe' is huge and there is empire space that is patrolled by NPC police.  If you haven't played EVE basically if you shoot anything in Empire that is not a pirate a huge fleet of police are on top of you and your toast.  The only way there are wars in Empire is when corporations declare war on each other and they can fight anywhere.

The rest of space is free for all and would be like DF's free for all grabbing land.  I would think they would have to have a large piece of land where NPC's roam and no PvP is allowed or at least have NPC guards helping.

What I am torn between is the death penalties.  Personally I hate XP penalties and I see that DF does not have XP.  Neocrom had an attribute penalty that wore off over 5 minutes or so.  EVE is more equipment loss.  Vanguard is pointless..die and respawn immediately, may lose infamy pts but who cares.  

I would prefer an attribute decrease that came back after time for DF.  That way it would stop people just piling in and back 30 seconds later after losing their heads.

Thoughts?

yeah I suspect the same too in regards to the guards. Plus there is an alignment system. They already said PK'ers will have a hard life. I think they have that base covered pretty well in their design. In EVE we have probably more PVE'ers then anyone

you avoid Alignment penalty only if you declare formal war on the rival guild

In regards to death penalty I'm a big fan of pretty harsh consequences for death. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Originally posted by forest-nl

I realy hope more will gonne playit not only the hardcore pvp players.

But im affraid the ones who realy wanne see this game hit the market is mainly open pvp oriented players, most who are hardcore.

DFO is a totally free gamestyle so its for many style of players!

Future will tell everything but when i dunno:P

once it releases then people will see. I am sure many thought EVE would be the same then once they saw how well the guards were setup I'm sure people quickly relalized how sandbox games really appeal to everyone. In EVE players can even create the safezones for each other with sentry drones and guarding bottlenecks. I've never been ganked in 0.0 with my Miner / Trader. I was so secure, I flew around in a defenseless ship with zero guns on it.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Originally posted by vajuras

once it releases then people will see. I am sure many thought EVE would be the same then once they saw how well the guards were setup I'm sure people quickly relalized how sandbox games really appeal to everyone. In EVE players can even create the safezones for each other with sentry drones and guarding bottlenecks. I've never been ganked in 0.0 with my Miner / Trader. I was so secure, I flew around in a defenseless ship with zero guns on it.

Agree totally but you summed it up as well when you mentioned players create their own safezones.  I found that EVE you have to interact a lot more with other players in low sec so you can get +5 status from the ruling corps.   People naturally go 'pirate' or 'ally' in games that are sandbox like.  If there is zero risk there is no reason to interact with anyone unless you need a group to go XP hunting. 

It works well in EVE and what is more exciting it develops a culture.  I have seen allies fall out over a major issue and declare war on each other.  Good or bad it does create a dynamic environment.

• yamisniperyamisniper Member Posts: 35

na thats y beta hasnt started so it doesnt end up like crap vanguard the devs have already said it there not rushing it they want it done right not half assed

ps dont you people relize in 2003-2004 they upgraded the engine and graphics that slowed them down a ton

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

But this is exactly why I support Darkfall.  In fact, your post sums up my point of view perfectly.  Please get out of my mind.

Agreed.  I think there is a large population of us that would agree on this.  However, I feel like we are in the minority.  I wish it weren't true, but I feel like most people prefer the level-based, light hearted MMOs that are so prevalent today.  If DF ever does come out I think there will be a huge population that will support it and draw attention of developers from other MMOs.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by vajuras

In regards to death penalty I'm a big fan of pretty harsh consequences for death. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.
    I thought I read somewhere that this game will have full gear drop on death sort of like EVE? If this is true this would be more than enough of a death penalty. In other words going evil will put everything you currently are carrying on the line which will be something most will not want to risk. But on the other hand it will make PKing a very profitable venture so basically like EVE it will be risk=reward.

Also The OP is 100% correct on all counts. Whether or not this game actually sees the light of day isn't the point. The point is that this game is everything most of the MMO vets have been looking for since quitting games like EQ(PvP servers), UO and Shadowbane. It's not just the PvP that is attractive but also the depth and openness of the world. I sure hope they do make this game a reality and vaporware or not at least they have put the idea out there and showed that a game like this can attract a lot of interest among MMO fans.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Muirin

I hope this game comes out and has everything they promised.  But their so far ahead on what everyone else is doing and being a small company makes it even harder.

They are not far ahead at all they are going back to the state of play where online games were fun and not so massive. Just not implimenting features that kill gameplay and community.

Originally posted by Stellos

Agreed.  I think there is a large population of us that would agree on this.  However, I feel like we are in the minority.  I wish it weren't true, but I feel like most people prefer the level-based, light hearted MMOs that are so prevalent today.  If DF ever does come out I think there will be a huge population that will support it and draw attention of developers from other MMOs.

Same concept as EVE and you could assume you would get a similar subscription, that will make us happy bunnies.

Originally posted by yamisniper

na thats y beta hasnt started so it doesnt end up like crap vanguard the devs have already said it there not rushing it they want it done right not half assed

ps dont you people relize in 2003-2004 they upgraded the engine and graphics that slowed them down a ton

Yamsniper: I replied to this but can't follow who you are pointing the beta point at, I'm just being pedantic but your post has materialised for no good reason. hehe i'll delete this if i can't find who you are refering to.

hehe i'm bored I understand what you are getting at here but your logic is twisted. I can just see that Darkfall developer saying,

"We better not start beta or we will end up with a **** game"

"We better not rush beta or we will end up with a **** game"

So what is the result of starting a Beta Early is it a crap game, no i don't think so, it may be a bad call , a misjudgement, inexperience and probably a plethora of other reasons. Now depending on the reasons and the way you address these you may end up with  a **** game. But rushing and the Beta are not the real cause. If I really thought about this i could rattle off pages of dialogue, but what is the point your'e not really interested in the game just a poster who like you is also using broken logic.