Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Group PvE MMO at this time

2»

Comments

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by teldath

FFXI is by far the best group based MMO out. it comes at a price though, its pretty slow. the groups in FFXI are truely something they arnt like other MMOs where you go around and area killing as much stuff as possible, they are truely about teamwork, infact most groups in FFXI are camped groups, you will stay in the same place the whole time. its ok though, because FFXI needs the most teamwork and group communication.
    the population of FFXI is stable

Except "looking for a party" 6hrs straight is not fun. Other than that and being a slow paced game I would say FFXI has decent group PvE.

• GoplyGoply Member Posts: 48

Thanks for all the replies everyone lots of good info so far...

So far I do like the sounds of EQ2, there are a few things I'm not too into there but could get past (and may not be a problem at higher lvs).

FFXI looks to be the game I'm mostly interested in from what I am hearing, only thing that I wonder about is that it seems that half the people talking about the server populations say they are good and the other half says the other thing, well it can't be both lol. Can this game be played at this date in time if I loaded it up today would I have problems finding groups and leveling, I don't mind slow progression as long as there are things to do and I am having fun.  Maybe some servers are bad, and some are good.  I am also wondering more from the low level players point of view, after all if I can't make it to where 90% of the population is I can't play effectively. If you think the server population is good could you say your server name, maybe what type of gamer you are casual/hardcore, do you play on weekends/weekdays.  Anyway

DDO was talked about also which sounds nice, just certain things about it I don't like. Same ones as EQ2 and maybe a few more.

Those seem to be the top 3 PvE games from what everyone is saying here.

I also don't mind some solo games but I do like to have a feeling that there is a very good community around and that people interact with each other a lot, grouping for events is also great, it doesn't have to all be for leveling, those are a lot of the things that made UO great (it didn't have very good grouping at all it was pretty much non-existent, but there were many things you could do as a group and community stuff...

"Sticking with what works doesn't make good games, it remakes them, I quit playing that a while ago.
    After all, no artist got anywhere from repainting the Mona Lisa as a black women in a white dress...

It's about the paintin man, it's about the paintin..." -Goply

• bopicebopice Member Posts: 59

Everquest . Buy the anniversary edition it rockS! takes a week or two to learn most things, but by far the best pve- solo / group / or raid game out still!

Not everquest 2 that game isn't good. Everquest original. I tried them all . and just returned after 4 years and Love it!

Very solo friendly if you make a magician or necro to start. Give them a 2hander weapon from the bazaar. Than get high level and twink a melee. It's soooo much fun. The server populations are low , but still plenty of people around. These are the fun mmorpg's in an exact order. Hell i quit jobs to play these game when they came out... :)

1. Everquest
    2. World of Warcraft
    2. EQOA playstation2

Other games cannot compare in my opinion. Those 3 are the most fun.

I like to duo with my wife, we group at times have raided in almost all mmorpg's but not very much. Raiding gets boring fast. We'd rather duo' together and try challenging bosses/zones . Work on alts and doing tradeskills. Everquest original excels at this.
    Eq2 was ok , but not even close to other mmorpgs in fun factor.

www.myspace.com/solidwhitetuna

• GoplyGoply Member Posts: 48

Thee EverQuest huh... hows the population doing these days on that one? same questions for this game that I have had on the others...

I would mainly be interested in grouping unless the community and game offer other things that allow you to interact with other people without grouping, I want that Massive Multiplayer in my MMO =P

"Sticking with what works doesn't make good games, it remakes them, I quit playing that a while ago.
    After all, no artist got anywhere from repainting the Mona Lisa as a black women in a white dress...

It's about the paintin man, it's about the paintin..." -Goply

Yeah the populations are lower than back in the day for sure. Wow took all the players :), but new people seem to be joining alot lately. with the anniversary pack.

Now that i think about it there is no mmorpg besides Wow that has a high population. Eq2 was very low, just as low as EQ1. At high levels there are alot of people to group with in Eq or eq2 , but at low levels there isn't much in either mmorpg. Lotro same deal the lvl 30 and below zones are getting empty as the majority levels up for the 2nd time.

If you get in a guild or go to the Hotzones there are people to group with. They added hotzones with bonus exp to get people in the same zones for grouping, but yes the majority of people are 70+ but most have alts they enjoy playing too.

Wow if you want massive multiplayer otherwise there are no games on the market with decent populations. Lotro would be 2nd, and everyone there is lvl 40+

You could always wait for Warhammer online, but that's more pvp. Plenty of people to group with when it's released in 5 months though.

Than theres the Asian or low budget mmorpg's you have to click the ground to move, or they have tiny worlds. I'm just not a fan of them. If you like to Quest and Only Quest play lotro, DandD , WoW, or Eq2. Vanguard could of been good , but it wasn't made very well.
    I have tried every pve mmorpg. I have downloaded 10+trials , and played 6 mmorpgs for over half a year each. These are just my opinions, but the have some testing to back it up.

Alot of people = Wow or maybe guildwars.
    For quests = Wow , lotro, and eq2 it's almost all you do.
    For fun or tradeskills play eq, Eqoa , or Wow.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Goply

Thanks for all the replies everyone lots of good info so far...
    So far I do like the sounds of EQ2, there are a few things I'm not too into there but could get past (and may not be a problem at higher lvs).
    FFXI looks to be the game I'm mostly interested in from what I am hearing, only thing that I wonder about is that it seems that half the people talking about the server populations say they are good and the other half says the other thing, well it can't be both lol. Can this game be played at this date in time if I loaded it up today would I have problems finding groups and leveling, I don't mind slow progression as long as there are things to do and I am having fun.  Maybe some servers are bad, and some are good.  I am also wondering more from the low level players point of view, after all if I can't make it to where 90% of the population is I can't play effectively. If you think the server population is good could you say your server name, maybe what type of gamer you are casual/hardcore, do you play on weekends/weekdays.  Anyway
    DDO was talked about also which sounds nice, just certain things about it I don't like. Same ones as EQ2 and maybe a few more.
    Those seem to be the top 3 PvE games from what everyone is saying here.

I also don't mind some solo games but I do like to have a feeling that there is a very good community around and that people interact with each other a lot, grouping for events is also great, it doesn't have to all be for leveling, those are a lot of the things that made UO great (it didn't have very good grouping at all it was pretty much non-existent, but there were many things you could do as a group and community stuff...

As much as it pains me to say it, if you would rather play EQ2 over a group centric game, I would recommend WoW instead. WoW always has people to play with and you can find content dedicated for groups that people actually do at all levels. It has a better PvP system than EQ2, a better raid system, and is overall more polished. WoW also doesn't nickle and dime you for all of their content. Granted EQ2 has recently given away a free expansion, that isn't the norm. The norm is for you to pay for adventure packs and expansions and they come out with them often. WoW does have a mature community to play with, but general chat can be annoying on most servers.

For me, a game and the community has to capture me within the first 10-20 levels depending on how long it takes to get to 10-20. EQ2 didn't capture me because the gameplay wasn't fun, the classes while numerous weren't fun, and no one grouped at lower levels. I would try to organize or ask for a group and people would usually reply with "You can solo that," or they wouldn't reply at all. It just didn't capture me at the beginning. Not that WoW did either, but at least I could find people to group with at all levels for some content or another.

Best of luck to you.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• pps2free2bepps2free2be Member Posts: 1

na.square-enix.com/ffxi/starterpack/   - you get the starter discs and a 30 day free trial for about $4

I find FFXI to be the best group based game out there...  I have never had an issues with japanese players and ive been playing for 3+ years, i have 2 75 jobs and i still enjoy the game, always something to do, I think the only downside is looking for group for long times sometimes, but you can always do something else while doing so... Everyone levels 1-10 alone, then at 10 pretty much you need a group to get experience. I think this is the game for you if your really into groups.